post #181 of 2894 Old 09-09-2004, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Originally posted by housecor
Does Wal-Mart offer something similar to BB or CC's price protection? It'd be nice to just show the receipt and get the difference.

I'm not sure if it is a company wide policy, but usually within 30 days, we'll give you the difference back.

Ryan

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2894 Old 09-09-2004, 12:55 PM

Liked: 10
Huh, well since walmart has at least a 30 day return gurantee for whatever reason, if you just got your tv last week, you could return it and then rebuy it for 700. Of course, that would probably be more of a hassle to walmart than anything, so more than likely they'll just refund your money to you. I would be wary of returning your set though if it doesn't have any problems, chances of you picking up one with this colorful snow issue seem decent, and picking up one with terrible geometry is almost guaranteed. This means there's only a 300 dollar price difference between the analog and hd sanyo set. I have to rethink whether I want to bump down to the sd set or not.
post #183 of 2894 Old 09-09-2004, 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ja'Man
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I just picked up a philips 32pt8320 (32" 4:3) for $699 and I love the picture, but it only has 1 hd input which is really a bummer and it doesnt have a built in tuner. I think Im going to take it back and get the sanyo, but I have 2 questions if anyone can help me:

1. Has anyone had experience with a Philips tv similar to mine to tell me if the PQ is as good or better with the Sanyo?

2. Can someone tell me the width of the whole set? Sanyo's site says 35" but I gotta be sure because I have exactly 36" in my entertainment center.

TIA

I can answer your 2nd question. My entertainment armoire is a bit less than 36" wide & the Sanyo 32" TV fit with about a quarter inch to spare on both sides. I think the TV actually measures about 35.5" wide.

jawgee
post #184 of 2894 Old 09-09-2004, 02:33 PM

thanks Jawgee, can ne1 comment on the PQ compared to the Philips?
post #185 of 2894 Old 09-09-2004, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I fit it (32" in the box) in the back of a Jeep Wrangler with the rear seat out. It was tight but it fit.

Quote:

Originally posted by jawgee
I can answer your 2nd question. My entertainment armoire is a bit less than 36" wide & the Sanyo 32" TV fit with about a quarter inch to spare on both sides. I think the TV actually measures about 35.5" wide.

jawgee

post #186 of 2894 Old 09-09-2004, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by oryan_dunn
I'm not sure if it is a company wide policy, but usually within 30 days, we'll give you the difference back.

Ryan

When I went there with my receipt today, the woman said she could give back the difference in the first week only. I purchased nearly two months ago but have another month to return mine for the original purchase price and immediately buy another for the reduced price. They didn't have one in stock. I can take my chances that an open box return will become available as well as take my chances that a brand new one might have issues that my current one doesn't. The woman was very nice and said there was no problem with a physical return to save the $50. Seems like there SHOULD be a company wide policy that is different than requiring a physical return. Maybe the size & weight would make people not do it, but now I'm a little ticked.
post #187 of 2894 Old 09-09-2004, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's not that difficult to physically return...at least not enough to discourage me from doing it. $50 is still $50 and WalMart is just down the road...it'll take a total of an hour out of my day...and I need to get some other crap at Wally World anyway
post #188 of 2894 Old 09-10-2004, 06:47 AM

Just buy a new one, and return it with the old receipt. No worries about problems if your set is working just fine.

Just a thought.....
post #189 of 2894 Old 09-10-2004, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Darn, I got mine last Friday so I could have brought the receipt in today and get the money but I can't find it. Looks like I can't get the money.
post #190 of 2894 Old 09-10-2004, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by ghoulie
TH3_FRB, thanks for starting this thread!

I have read all the posts from the other thread concerning the Sanyo HT 30744/32744. I have the HT30744 and find it to be a decent deal. However, it does have one flaw. There is a tilt issue. My screen is tilted towards the left and is very obvious especially when watching letter-box. I know that in the initial thread there was no way to correct tilt, at least in the service menu. I was just hoping that all of our options for correcting tilt issues were exhausted. I don't want to return my set if there is a fix for the tilt out there.

This is also my issue and I can't find a fix for it either. I actually made a seperate thread for the issue with no luck. I have the 32" also so I guess this issue is not just with the 30"s. I can live with it if there is no fix but it'd be better if I could find a fix.
post #191 of 2894 Old 09-10-2004, 09:23 AM

The cable guy just put "better lines in" and told me that something is throwing current back to the junction box after a couple minutes he said that it was my nice new tv. He said that I should use the composite hook ups on the cable box to get a better picture and eliminate the feedback. I have digital cable but not high def. Anyone having this problem? Is this normal? What should I do to resolve this?
post #192 of 2894 Old 09-10-2004, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So your Sanyo is sending current back out through the coax input? You should be using component (or better yet DVI) connections from your cable box anyway. Even S-video is better then coax.
post #193 of 2894 Old 09-10-2004, 12:07 PM

crappy digital box only has composite out or coax out... would the composite be better than coax?
post #194 of 2894 Old 09-10-2004, 01:41 PM

Woof. I just waded through 50 pages of the old thread, and the 10 pages of this new thread on the Sanyo HT30744. I was pretty active in the discussion way back in June, but sorta got sidetracked from reading, and now I'm back about 3 months later

I last left the conversation with discussion regarding the TV and Xbox. Actually, this could apply to Gamecube as well, where the console is connected through either of the Component Inputs on the TV. Here are the issues outstanding issues that I see (and apparently have not found a good solution after catching up on 2 hours of back posts):

** Game console when attached through Component Inputs **

1) 480i output shows vertical green bars.
2) 480p output shows horizontal distortion at three distinct areas of the screen: upper, middle and lower areas.

Problem #1 persists mostly in DVD playback, mainly due to the fact that most Xbox owners who are using the HiDef AV pack have set their Display options in the Dashboard to 480p/720p/1080i output. By doing so, Problem 2 persists.

In short, when playing GAMES, you WILL experience either Problem 1 or Problem 2 (not both). However, since DVD playback ONLY displays in 480i, you will experience Problem 1 any time you playback DVDs.

So far, no luck in finding a solution for this. Problem 2 bugs me more than Problem 1 (I don't use my Xbox to watch movies), but neither is desirable, obviously.

Danny (contemplating returning this TV to Walmart after owning it for 3 months)
post #195 of 2894 Old 09-11-2004, 04:16 PM

i just got this from walmart a few days ago. i got component cables (acoustic research) to hook up my dvd player to the tv and get snow when enabling the connection.... this snow almost makes the video unwatchable its so bad.

s-video w/ the dvd player looks completely fine and OTA HD channels look fine too (wonderful at that)

is this a cable/dvd player/tv problem? i'm debating whether to try and return this and get another one, thinking its a tv problem

any help would be appreciated

updated:
i tried a monster cable component with this setup and the same white snowy lines are showing...
post #196 of 2894 Old 09-12-2004, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by finger11

updated:
i tried a monster cable component with this setup and the same white snowy lines are showing...

I'd take the DVD player, component cableS, and your remote to WalMart. Maybe even bring your own extension cord. If you don't get snow on their display Sanyo, return the TV. If you do, plug it in to something else, borrow one of their DVD players, ... If you've never used the DVD player w/ component before, you may be missing a piece that fully enables the component output. I have an old JVC DVD that puts out a really poor display on component / S-video, whichever isn't selected.

Just easier to cart a DVD player to another TV than cart the TV to the store before you know it is the TV.
post #197 of 2894 Old 09-12-2004, 10:36 AM

thanks for the advice! ... i might try that out tonite or tomorrow evening...

Quote:

Originally posted by bhenley
I have an old JVC DVD that puts out a really poor display on component / S-video, whichever isn't selected.

what do you mean by this? i have a video selector switch on the back off my dvd player, pioneer 525 (manufactured in '99), that either puts the video out on the s-video/composite or component outputs.
post #198 of 2894 Old 09-12-2004, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by finger11

what do you mean by this? i have a video selector switch on the back off my dvd player, pioneer 525 (manufactured in '99), that either puts the video out on the s-video/composite or component outputs.

A switch is pretty intuitive. I have to push and hold the front panel Stop button for 5 seconds for it to display a C or S and keep holding it to toggle to the other. While S-video is selected, the component cables aren't "black" but a crappy picture (mostly blue IIRC). Not likely your problem unless flipping your switch doesn't change the display when you select Component 1. You've probably tried the other component connection. Got a neighbor with component DVD player? Do you have a menu choice to toggle between interlace and progressive? Outta ideas.
post #199 of 2894 Old 09-12-2004, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

The walmart people shouldn't have a problem with you bringing in your own dvd player. Lots less work for us if we don't have to get another tv down. I haven't noticed any snow at all on either of our display models, but maybe you have to have it in a dark environment to see it? And I also noticed that the price droped to $697. That is probably a nationwide drop.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #200 of 2894 Old 09-12-2004, 02:46 PM

no it's is very noticable...with or without lights on... it looks terrible pretty much .. i did try both component inputs...
post #201 of 2894 Old 09-12-2004, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Very odd that this snow problem has only been reported recently
post #202 of 2894 Old 09-12-2004, 05:00 PM

ok, i just remembered the 3rd dvd player in the house has component... how i forgot there was a 3rd? i have no idea... but i hooked it up w/ component and popped in Nemo and it looked fine, so im guessing its my old ass dvd player.

anyone got any suggestions for a cheap dvd player that works well with this tv? =) wouldnt mind a multidisc player..thanks guys!
post #203 of 2894 Old 09-12-2004, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting...seems to imply that some DVD players do something different then others...but what and how the hell do we know before actually buying one? And what about Xbox and game cube...must be something similar to the older DVD players. The solution for DVD is probably to pick up a new ub=nit with DVI/HDMI output and just go completely digital.
post #204 of 2894 Old 09-12-2004, 06:50 PM

yea i would think just get one that has HDMI... but what if i get direct tv or digital/hd cable later on? (most likely in about 3 months when i move out) wouldnt i want that on the HDMI port?
post #205 of 2894 Old 09-12-2004, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, you'll have to pick one or the other. We haven't heard any reports of trouble with component connections and STBs...my Moto HD box works great with component...so you could just run the DVD through DVI/HDMI and the STB through component.
post #206 of 2894 Old 09-12-2004, 10:29 PM

Liked: 11
My SA3250 HD box from Time Warner/Brighthouse works great through component input for HD signals, but everything else looks bad. I can see a bunch of vertical white lines when watching standard feed. I would switch to channel 3 to watch these instead.

Anyway, I have a problem that I haven't been able to fix for about a month now since I have the 32", and was hoping someone here can help. I have played with all the settings under the service menu thoroughly, but I just could not fix the slight-moderate convexity in the lower 1/3 of the TV. The lower 1/3 of the TV would cave upward in the middle of the TV. So if I'm using a Cross Pattern test, I would see all the lines in the lower 1/3 of the TV forming a hump in the middle.

Does anybody know how to bring this part back down while keeping the left and right parts perfectly horizontal? Thanks.
post #207 of 2894 Old 09-13-2004, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Please note that NOT every Wal-Mart has this new price.

The Wal-Mart where i bought my Sanyo still has the 747 price.

A Wal-Mart 10 miles down has the road has the newer 697 price.

My wal-mart would not price match another wal-mart!!

Love the TV, happy with the price, but mad that now they are selling it for even cheaper and will not give my my money back.

As a single person, this TV is too heavy to be moving around! I will keep it unless wal-mart has a 36" 4:3 HD TV out in the next two months.

Hey did anyone confrim that All Sanyos have a 1 year return policy.

My Super Wal-mart said that there was on a 90 day refund on the Sanyo's.
post #208 of 2894 Old 09-13-2004, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Price changes like that only take effect when the department manager goes through and makes new labels and marks them off the list of price changes. Once that list is finalized, then the price will be changed in their system. The price changes will come through, but the dept manager must act for them to take effect. So in that one stores case, the dept manager probably didn't go through that list of price changes yet. I forget where, but someone in the old thread had proof somewhere of that 1 year policy.

Ryan

post #209 of 2894 Old 09-13-2004, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BuddTX

could you try to bring your reciept to the lower priced wal-mart and get a price match?

the first store i went to said it was 697, then i went to another one that had it in stock. they had it for 747 and i told them to call the other store cause they said it was 697 but the other store then said it was 747
post #210 of 2894 Old 09-13-2004, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's not a 1-year return policy. There is a 90-day return policy...you can return it for ANY reason. The warranty period is 1 year and you can bring it back to the store for a replacement within that year if something craps out. I think the owners manual states the warranty return policy. You might have to get the WalMart manager to chat with a Sanyo rep...I can understand them not knowing about this odd warranty policy.

Quote:
Originally posted by BuddTX

Love the TV, happy with the price, but mad that now they are selling it for even cheaper and will not give my my money back.

As a single person, this TV is too heavy to be moving around! I will keep it unless wal-mart has a 36" 4:3 HD TV out in the next two months.

Hey did anyone confrim that All Sanyos have a 1 year return policy.

My Super Wal-mart said that there was on a 90 day refund on the Sanyo's.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page