Official Sanyo HT32744/HT30744 thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 2894 Old 10-12-2006, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hav the 30746, and following various links in this thread, I have been able to fix most of my geometry problems. I only have one issue left to correct, the left side of the picture is about .25 in lower than the right side of the picture. So I need to rotate the screen a couple of degrees clockwise. Does anyone know if this can be corrected in the service menu, and if so, which setting do I change?

Thankss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2894 Old 10-12-2006, 01:31 PM

No, it cannot - you have to physically move the picture tube.
post #2613 of 2894 Old 10-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, recently my TV developed some sort of high pitched whine seemingly related to either the deflection yoke or power supply. Sanyo wouldn't fix it a second time and replaced the set with an HT30746. New TV works ok, picture isn't quite as good but geometry is better. We'll see what happens.
post #2614 of 2894 Old 10-16-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrprize View Post

I hav the 30746, and following various links in this thread, I have been able to fix most of my geometry problems. I only have one issue left to correct, the left side of the picture is about .25 in lower than the right side of the picture. So I need to rotate the screen a couple of degrees clockwise. Does anyone know if this can be corrected in the service menu, and if so, which setting do I change?

Thankss

Hi there,

I have the same TV; I believe there's the option to rotate the picture in the actual setup menus (not the service menus). I definitely remember rotating my picture.
post #2615 of 2894 Old 10-22-2006, 09:12 AM

This weekend my HT32744 developed a green picture. I bought this set from WalMart in Feb. of 2005. I immediately hit this thread looking for support. I read a recent post where the issue was "fixed" by physically rocking the set a little bit. I ran into the living room and tried it out. It worked! The image went back to normal.

I'm no electrical engineer, so soldering is definitely not an option for me. Hopefully my set's image problems were temporary and I won't have to keep abusing the set to keep it working.

Those of you that have experienced this 'green image' problem, is this something that repeats itself over time?

Thanks for the support and information on this thread. I really appreciate it.

/bc
post #2616 of 2894 Old 10-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc98 View Post

Those of you that have experienced this 'green image' problem, is this something that repeats itself over time?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you definitely have not seen the last of the "greenies." If you go a little further back in this thread, you'll find quite a few people have suffered from it and the only person who got it to go away for good had a technician re-solder something on the red gun (the problem is actually the reds disappearing, which over-accentuates the greens).

Several people (including me) have used the defect as a way to badger Walmart into giving us exchanges for the new model of this set (conveniently forgetting exactly when we bought it, and claiming not to have a receipt). But that has been hit or miss, and that replacement model may not even be sold anymore.

Best bet is to contact Sanyo directly, make a big stink, and see what they recommend. Good luck.
post #2617 of 2894 Old 10-28-2006, 02:16 PM

I am starting to see wavy horizontal lines when playing my 360 hooked up through the component inputs on my 746. Are there any settings i can change to correct this so they are not as noticeable, or should i try and exchange the set at walmart?

Would a component to hdmi adapter help?

thanks
post #2618 of 2894 Old 10-28-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage183 View Post

Would a component to hdmi adapter help?

thanks

Any component to HDMI adapter would be ridiculously expensive ($100+). Component signals are analog and HDMI signals are digital, so you're not taking something that just rearranges some pinouts. It would have to take the analog signal and digitize it, so it will take some computing power.
post #2619 of 2894 Old 10-29-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shink View Post

Any component to HDMI adapter would be ridiculously expensive ($100+). Component signals are analog and HDMI signals are digital, so you're not taking something that just rearranges some pinouts. It would have to take the analog signal and digitize it, so it will take some computing power.

Yeah the one i saw was around $170. I think i may just stick with the t.v., until i can get another one.
post #2620 of 2894 Old 10-30-2006, 10:08 AM

Does anyone know for sure if you can receive qam channels w/ basic cable? The manual seems to suggest that you need digital cable. However I've heard here previously that you can get Qam clear channels via basic cable too. If I were to call TW and inquire about Qam would they know what I'm talking about? BTW I have the Sanyo 32" -HT32744.
post #2621 of 2894 Old 10-30-2006, 02:02 PM

Jimdoo,

It's going to vary by cable company. If they have a filter blocking all signals except for analog, then it will not work.
post #2622 of 2894 Old 11-01-2006, 12:17 PM

Ok, I am in a bit of a pickle here. Close to a year ago I purchased the HT30744 from Wal-Mart for $562. The TV has been great for that time, but about 3 months ago the HDMI port started to act up and the TV screen would go completely green (as in no other color except green--not the dreaded red failing stuff people have talked about). So I called Sanyo and told them what had happened. They said that I should bring it back to WM and get the TV that replaced the HT30744. I asked the person at Sanyo if the replacement TV was HD. The woman I talked to said no it is SD. Needless to was astonished and decided to use the component cable to view HD. I figured that while I could not get a picture with the HDMI input that I would get a HD picture with component cables.
Now this week the dreaded green people came to visit me and I do not mean the kids at Halloween. If I hit the left side of the TV I am able to get the red back, but that fix is not permanent by any means. Yesterday I called Sanyo and they said that I could take the TV back to WM and exchange the TV for the HT30746. My fear, after reading a lot of the posts from here (posts from January of this year til October), is that the picture is going to be crap when compared to the HT30744 (even with componet cables). I am thinking that maybe I could just try to get a gift card for the amount of the HT30746 ($478). And then just try to get some halfway decent HDTV that is LCD or Plasma. It is coming to that Black Friday time of year again.

Any thoughts and the picture quality. Thanks, Pete
post #2623 of 2894 Old 11-02-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGramps View Post

Help, Our HT327444 needs help. Initially I thought I was only viewing shades of Green and light blue. This started about a month ago. We have had the set about a year.

I think we have two options: repair or replace.

I would like to make a simple adjustment. After reviewing the various forums and threads I see that the television and video world has passed me by. I think the picture tube still usees red, green and blue guns to develop the picture. However, as I read thru the different postings I can see that all else has changed.

Our symptoms seem to change as we change channels and Tv set inputs. The TV picture is derived from a DirectTV H20 receiver using an HDMI cable to connect them. In addition I connect a camcorder using S-video video and a Sylvania DVD with composite video. We do not have OTA where we live. We have a good B/W pix by adjusting color to "0" on the manual adjust.

I would like to repair it if I can make a register adjustment per the manual I donwloaded, but that manual is for the 30" set. .... has anyone used this manual info successfully??

Maybe I can adjust the drive/screen levels (....perhaps a register setting ) to correct our troubles?

Can I turn off each gun to see if any of the three guns have failed?

Last option is to give the set back to Walmart and go for the exchange. But I really like the set except for color troubles.

Thanks

After much thought and re-reading this thread, I called a strong friend and we dragged the monster TV out of its cabinet and attempted to repair the "greenie" trouble.

I resoldered IC 711 TWICE. NO LUCK!

Next I used my DVM to measure the DC voltages of the three video driver chips. They all had the same DC values on the corresponding pins so I feel the IC is soldered to the board. STILL NO LUCK!!

Still determined to fix the beast we removed and checked the cables & CB connectors for corrosion. I also removed the video board, checked and cleaned the two connectors on that board. No LUCK AGAIN!!!

( By the way, a previous entry discussed a white powder. I did notice white residue where the ICs were attached to the heat sinks. I believe it is a paste used to aid in heat dissipation)

The lack of red color is apparent on all sources I use; S video, composite or HDMI connections.

I am looking for the alignment procedure for this set so that I can make one last try since my tinkering may have the registers fouled up. Can someone guide me to the Idiots guide to setting up HDTV sets???

Next, I have the serial number so I can call Sanyo for any assistance.

Will provide followup.
post #2624 of 2894 Old 11-03-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shink View Post

Jimdoo,

It's going to vary by cable company. If they have a filter blocking all signals except for analog, then it will not work.

Well, it worked for me. I had to get Sanyo to send me the kit to enable Qam -but I am happy I did! Not bad channel selection either! I get 2,4,7, pbs and tbs + a host of music channels and cnbc world. Not bad for next to nothing! I use TW for internet and life line cable only and this is a great back up to regular ota progamming minus the break up's and drop outs I would normally experience with my ota antenna and minus Fox too-
post #2625 of 2894 Old 11-03-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdoo View Post

Well, it worked for me. I had to get Sanyo to send me the kit to enable Qam -but I am happy I did! Not bad channel selection either! I get 2,4,7, pbs and tbs + a host of music channels and cnbc world. Not bad for next to nothing! I use TW for internet and life line cable only and this is a great back up to regular ota progamming minus the break up's and drop outs I would normally experience with my ota antenna and minus Fox too-

Usually if you have cable internet, there will not be a filter on the digital stations. Good for you - glad it worked out!
post #2626 of 2894 Old 11-04-2006, 02:55 PM

I just want to echo the post below. My 32744 lost its red as well, and like others have described, it progressively gets worse.

So on the suggestions of this thread I called Sanyo Customer Service and calmly reported the problem. The tech was nice, took my info and promised that Mary Jo would call me soon. Yeah, sure...

Accustomed to most companies' service level, I expected to wait awhile or never hear from them again, but Mary Jo called later that same day. She let me know the replacement part was being sent to a shop near my location and that they would be providing the repair, including labor. There was never any discussion of warranty in either call, nor was I asked when the set was purchased.

My TV is now at the shop, but Sanyo's part thus far has been stellar service. I'm impressed with their willingness to take accountability for what seems to have been a production flaw. Most companies would deny, then deny again, then quote the warranty.

So, those of you with the green / loss of red problem, call Sanyo. No need to make a fuss or be "firm" in this case if you ask me.

Production quality aside, thumbs up for Sanyo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp2000 View Post

I've been having the same "loss of red" problem (on my HT32744) that so many others have been reporting...we'll be watching as normal, and then the screen takes a blueish-green tint, as if all the reds have gone out.

I called the Sanyo service line, told them my problem, and ended up getting connected to a "Mary Jo." She was extremely helpful, and told me a "digital module" had gone bad. Even though I am WAAAY out of warranty (bought the TV in Jan '05, and it has an August 04 manufacture date), she offered to send the needed replacement part to a local repair shop and to pay for the needed work.

I'll let you all know how it goes. If you are having a problem, it couldn't hurt to call Mary Jo at 1-800-877-5036. Very nice, and very helpful.

I'll say this for Sanyo...their TVs are kind of cheaply made, but their customer service is better than most.

post #2627 of 2894 Old 11-05-2006, 10:34 PM

Does anyone know how to replace the system settings on the HT30746? I held down the volume button and replugged it back in to mess with the settings, but I changed a few with out writing them down and now I think I screwed up the ratio. Does anyone have the original settings or perhaps know a button combo to reset it?
post #2628 of 2894 Old 11-05-2006, 11:59 PM

Sorry master, the sets are individually calibrated at the factory - there is not a "default" setting.
post #2629 of 2894 Old 11-09-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTJ View Post

I just want to echo the post below. My 32744 lost its red as well, and like others have described, it progressively gets worse.

So on the suggestions of this thread I called Sanyo Customer Service and calmly reported the problem. The tech was nice, took my info and promised that Mary Jo would call me soon. Yeah, sure...

Accustomed to most companies' service level, I expected to wait awhile or never hear from them again, but Mary Jo called later that same day. She let me know the replacement part was being sent to a shop near my location and that they would be providing the repair, including labor. There was never any discussion of warranty in either call, nor was I asked when the set was purchased.

My TV is now at the shop, but Sanyo's part thus far has been stellar service. I'm impressed with their willingness to take accountability for what seems to have been a production flaw. Most companies would deny, then deny again, then quote the warranty.

So, those of you with the green / loss of red problem, call Sanyo. No need to make a fuss or be "firm" in this case if you ask me.

Production quality aside, thumbs up for Sanyo.

What phone number did you call? I have a Sanyo DVD player with issues. I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago. I called periodically for four straight days trying the Walmart Sanyo support number. It was constantly busy until the third day. Once on that day someone picked up the phone but did not respond. It sounded like they just answered and put the phone down. I finally got to talk with someone on the fourth day. Apparently Sanyo doesn't update firmware on Walmart DVD players. Once they are out, that is it.

I called the regular Sanyo support number and they just referred me back to the "special" Walmart purchased support number. This worries me since I also have a Sanyo 27" HDTV and a Sanyo 32" SDTV from Walmart as well.
post #2630 of 2894 Old 11-12-2006, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphor_ View Post

Hi there,

I have the same TV; I believe there's the option to rotate the picture in the actual setup menus (not the service menus). I definitely remember rotating my picture.

how do you get into the setup menu? this instruction book is poop. i really like this tv but the clipping on both sides annoys the hell outta me. anyone who can help i thank you in advance
post #2631 of 2894 Old 11-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc98 View Post

This weekend my HT32744 developed a green picture. I bought this set from WalMart in Feb. of 2005. I immediately hit this thread looking for support. I read a recent post where the issue was "fixed" by physically rocking the set a little bit. I ran into the living room and tried it out. It worked! The image went back to normal.

I'm no electrical engineer, so soldering is definitely not an option for me. Hopefully my set's image problems were temporary and I won't have to keep abusing the set to keep it working.

Thanks for the support and information on this thread. I really appreciate it.

/bc

Mine, bought in July 05, went green after about 8 months but healed itself. Then it went green again in June 06, so I didn't hesitate--I called Sanyo, who told me to take it back to Wal Mart.

They didn't have and couldn't find another, so they just gave me my money back.

Wow.

Based on that nice warranty experience, i went ahead and bought the Sanyo 32" LCD HDTV that they had at the time.
post #2632 of 2894 Old 11-19-2006, 09:46 PM

What are the best settings for color, contrast, brightness, etc. for the best possible picture?

My first hdtv just trying to figure somethings out.
post #2633 of 2894 Old 11-20-2006, 09:02 AM

Final post for OKGramps...After several calls to Walmart, the manager here authorized a swap, plus additional cash for a new TV. Took a little persistence but we now have a tv with red again!! Thank you Walmart and Sanyo!
post #2634 of 2894 Old 11-22-2006, 10:03 AM

Liked: 14
So when you guys say the "digital module" is bad, are you talking about the digital tv tuner pci card in the back of the tv? I thought i saw another reference to this a couple pages back. How would this cause the reds to go out on all inputs? I put in a call to Sanyo today about my green problem, which came back worse than ever. I originally bought my tv about a year ago from Value City, so it only had a 90 day warranty, so it's way out of warranty. The CS representative took down my information and said he would pass it along to Mary Jo, but because they are so busy, I probably won't get a call back from her until after the long holiday weekend. We'll see how it goes.
post #2635 of 2894 Old 11-26-2006, 09:35 AM

My screen seems to be tilted a little to the right so if there is a straight line on the tv, it appears a little crooked. Is this something that is fixable in the service menu?
post #2636 of 2894 Old 11-29-2006, 09:26 PM

Hello all......I have a question to ask.......I have had a HT32744 for well over a year......Everything has been fine from the time that I got the set........Tonight my wife called and said that she could not get our channels 24-1, 24-2, and 24-3 (which have been there all the time that we have had the set.....There was no (NO SIGNAL) message the shows when the signal (OFF AIR) is low or down........I went to the menu and did a digital channel search, still no channel 24-1, 24-2, 24-3.......I did the search two times, and still no luck........Then I run up the channels to see if all of our other channels were still there......And guess what, there were all of the channel 24 -1 -2 -3 located on 49-1, 49-2, and 49-3......Now for the question........Is all that went on was that the television station changed there channel numbers ????.....BTW analog 24 is still channel 24.........No problem with the set ( I guess), but something that the station changed......The HT32744 set has been an excelent running television.......Thanks............dplugs39
post #2637 of 2894 Old 11-30-2006, 06:57 AM

I've had the HT32744 for almost 2 years and love it but last night I noticed after it had been on for about 20 minutes the picture became blurry with both the OTA digital and analog cable tuners. I had to go out for awhile so I forgot about it. when I got back and turned the tv on, the picture was fine but about 20 minutes later it went fuzzy again. I read through the last few pages and didn't notice anyone reporting this problem. Am I the only one? The experience with Sanyo customer support seems to be pretty good from the reports I've read, since this has been out of warranty for a year should I not waste my time with calling them?
post #2638 of 2894 Old 11-30-2006, 07:13 AM

Liked: 11
That fuzzy problem is the exact reason why I'm here on the board...looking for answers. We, too, had the 32" Sanyo for about two years now. It's been working flawlessly, until we came home last night, turned it on and it was fuzzy. We turned it off for the night. This morning after turning it on, it wasn't just fuzzy, it was fuzzy and dark, with the colors all off (extremely red), and the entire screen was really dark. I could barely read the channel information. Does anyone has any suggestions? Is the picture tub shot? It's only been two years. This is terrible quality and reliability.
post #2639 of 2894 Old 11-30-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dplugs39 View Post

Hello all......I have a question to ask.......I have had a HT32744 for well over a year......Everything has been fine from the time that I got the set........Tonight my wife called and said that she could not get our channels 24-1, 24-2, and 24-3 (which have been there all the time that we have had the set.....There was no (NO SIGNAL) message the shows when the signal (OFF AIR) is low or down........I went to the menu and did a digital channel search, still no channel 24-1, 24-2, 24-3.......I did the search two times, and still no luck........Then I run up the channels to see if all of our other channels were still there......And guess what, there were all of the channel 24 -1 -2 -3 located on 49-1, 49-2, and 49-3......Now for the question........Is all that went on was that the television station changed there channel numbers ????.....BTW analog 24 is still channel 24.........No problem with the set ( I guess), but something that the station changed......The HT32744 set has been an excelent running television.......Thanks............dplugs39

It's not a problem with the set, it's a problem with the broadcast. In each broadcast, they usually put in the signal the channel that it should be "re-mapped" to. In this case, it's 24-1, 24-2, & 24-3. If that's not there, or it's not in a format that the Sanyo recognizes, the set will just show it on it's actual frequency 49-1, 49-2, & 49-3. You can send the station a little note and I bet they'll fix it pretty quickly.
post #2640 of 2894 Old 11-30-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by investor27 View Post

That fuzzy problem is the exact reason why I'm here on the board...looking for answers. We, too, had the 32" Sanyo for about two years now. It's been working flawlessly, until we came home last night, turned it on and it was fuzzy. We turned it off for the night. This morning after turning it on, it wasn't just fuzzy, it was fuzzy and dark, with the colors all off (extremely red), and the entire screen was really dark. I could barely read the channel information. Does anyone has any suggestions? Is the picture tub shot? It's only been two years. This is terrible quality and reliability.

Sounds like we had the same problem on the same day. I didn't turn it on this morning but I have a feeling my problem will continue to get worse as well.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page