Advertisement

post #2672 of 2894 Old 01-12-2007, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pen25 View Post

so it isnt just me? holy crap. looks like i wil be calling sanyo. thing is only happens when connected to external sources so i was thinking it was my dvi cable but it was happening on my svid as well so i thought maybe possible power and source signal overlap or what ever. anyway awesome. anyone have a # to call?

The number for Sanyo is 1-800-877-5032

I called a few days ago after experiencing the green tint problem a few times over the course of a week. Since I bought my TV about 11 months ago I only had the problem maybe once every other month and turning the TV on and off a few times would fix it.

I have also experienced the "rolling interference" that some people have mentioned. Mine is in the form of red and blue dots flashing on and off across the screen and rolling down. They are about 4 inches long, they take up the entire width of the screen and they become more noticible during darker scenes.

After finding this forum and reading this thread I am going to exchange my TV before the problem becomes worse or my TV doesn't work at all.
post #2673 of 2894 Old 01-12-2007, 06:23 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxvil View Post

The number for Sanyo is 1-800-877-5032

I called a few days ago after experiencing the green tint problem a few times over the course of a week. Since I bought my TV about 11 months ago I only had the problem maybe once every other month and turning the TV on and off a few times would fix it.

I have also experienced the "rolling interference" that some people have mentioned. Mine is in the form of red and blue dots flashing on and off across the screen and rolling down. They are about 4 inches long, they take up the entire width of the screen and they become more noticible during darker scenes.

After finding this forum and reading this thread I am going to exchange my TV before the problem becomes worse or my TV doesn't work at all.

If you have seen the green problem at all, my suggestion is get it fixed right away. It will gradually get worse and worse.
post #2674 of 2894 Old 01-13-2007, 11:52 AM

My HT30744 is nearly 2 years old.

Question for those of you who were recently able to exchange at WalMart by calling Sanyo: did you have to have the original sales receipt?

Thanks for the info....
post #2675 of 2894 Old 01-14-2007, 02:18 AM

I've got a almost 1 year old HT32744 and I've been getting the green color problem for awhile, but it wasn't very noticeable at first. I didn't have any component cables hooked to it for about 4 or 5 months. That's when I connected my original Xbox up via Psyclone component cables. It wasn't till Christmas when I got a Xbox 360 hooked to it via components that the color got really bad. It used to be on one side of the screen, but now it's showing up on both sides. Anyway, I've been planning on taking the TV back to Walmart before my 1 year warranty is up. I've got my receipt where I paid $577 + tax. Unfortunately I wanted to post here to find out a few things.

First, do you think I can return the TV back on a Sunday? Even though Sanyo is not open on Sunday? It's hard to take during the week since I work usually from 7am to 7pm.

Second, will I get cash back or will it be an exchange or will the money be put on a gift card? I'm seriously considering going to Best Buy if I get cash back since I'm not real impressed with what my local Walmart has in stock. I wasn't planning on spending more than full refund price and that means either getting a Sanyo 30" Widescreen Tube HDTV or going with a much smaller 26" LCD. I really got spoiled by the 32" 4:3 tube and going to a smaller TV is going to suck. I'd have to buy a 32" LCD just get anywhere close to what I originally had. I would have to go to a 40" widescreen LCD HDTV just to get the same size 4:3 picture on my 32" tube HDTV. Oh well.

Any suggestions for TVs at Walmart? I don't want to spend more than $675 if I go with a 32" widescreen LCD. What about Best Buy any suggestions for HDTVs(tube or LCD) that are $575 or less? What about 32" LCDs for $675 or less?

Thanks in advance.

AzBat
post #2676 of 2894 Old 01-14-2007, 11:16 AM

Liked: 12
When I talked to Sanyo Customer Service last week, they said that they were taking care of color issues irregardless of age and proceeded directly to a Walmart return. The only real requirement was that the return be made between 7:30am and 7:00pm Central Time. That is when Sanyo Customer Service is open so Walmart can call them. I had assumed that was Monday-Friday. It may also include Saturday, but I doubt Sunday.
post #2677 of 2894 Old 01-14-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBat View Post

Any suggestions for TVs at Walmart? I don't want to spend more than $675 if I go with a 32" widescreen LCD. What about Best Buy any suggestions for HDTVs(tube or LCD) that are $575 or less? What about 32" LCDs for $675 or less?

Thanks in advance.

AzBat

We're not supposed to quote prices here, so I won't, but do yourself a favor and go to Sam's Club and Costco to check out the Vizio LCD's (32", 37", 46"). The 32" is in your price range and the 37" isn't much above it. Nobody every complains about getting a TV that's too big! I believe Circuit City carries the brand as well, but I never go there so I can't talk about their selection.

I have a Vizio 50" plasma TV and love it - more bang for the buck than any other TV out there!
post #2678 of 2894 Old 01-14-2007, 07:58 PM

I called my local Walmart today(Sunday mind you) to get the skinny on a return. They initially said they would only honor a 90-day return, but after I quoted my warranty in the manual and gave them the details about it being a special with just Sanyo TVs, they eventually agreed to let me return it. Since I had my receipt and it was less than a year, I don't think they needed to call Sanyo. Unfortunately they would only allow an exchange, so no cash and I'm not sure they will give me a gift card. With all that said they didn't have the TV I eventually decided on: 32" Sanyo DP32746. So I decided to wait till tomorrow and drive to another Walmart 30miles away that has my choice in stock. Sorry about asking for suggestions based on prices. Price is my primary concern, but also is warranty. The 1 year replacement warranty included with all Sanyo TVs at Walmart is definitely the clincher. If it had not been included with my TV I wouldn't been able to exchange it before it went completely out. So I'm definitely going to get another. Great job Sanyo and Walmart.

AzBat
post #2679 of 2894 Old 01-15-2007, 12:58 PM

Hey, before you commit, if you can get a gift card, they ARE valid at Sam's Club. And Sam's Club has a no questions asked return policy - they might not take back a 5 year old TV, but they'd definitely take back a one year old one. Just do yourself a favor and go to one to check it out. Vizio also offers a 1 year IN HOME repair policy with all their sets!
post #2680 of 2894 Old 01-15-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shink View Post

Hey, before you commit, if you can get a gift card, they ARE valid at Sam's Club. And Sam's Club has a no questions asked return policy - they might not take back a 5 year old TV, but they'd definitely take back a one year old one. Just do yourself a favor and go to one to check it out. Vizio also offers a 1 year IN HOME repair policy with all their sets!

Thanks for the info. I'm about to leave for home to pack it up and take it to Walmart. I'll see what they say about the gift card, but as I don't have a Sam's card not sure how I'd get in. I'll post here with my experiences.

AzBat
post #2681 of 2894 Old 01-16-2007, 06:45 PM

Well, I finally got my new DP32746, but it was no picnic. Hopefully posting my experience here will help any other guys that have the same issue.

Here's a couple of pointers to make sure your exchange goes well:

1. Make sure you have your original receipt. They'll try to scan it, many, many times.

2. Having the original box is a major plus. They'll try to scan that too.

3. Take your manual and remote! Says so in the manual! The manual's warranty will do wonders for convincing them they're wrong.

4. Call them ahead of time to get it approved. If you forget and you're already there, don't bring in the TV till you know they'll exchange it and they have your replacement.

5. Make sure you're there during Sanyo's business hours just in case everything doesn't go so well in the next item.

6. Tell them that all Sanyo TVs can be returned for an exchange after 90 days. They'll try to tell you they don't take TVs after 90 days. If they won't listen show them your warranty on page 30. They'll now can a manager to get it approved.
If the manager does not approve(because of out of warranty, etc,) then tell them to call the 800 number listed on page 30 of the manual.

7. Just because they finally approve the exchange, it ain't over. They'll have problems doing the exchange because the UPC number and the bar code on the receipt will not come up with a product or price. They'll need to verify the cost of your old TV. For me, they had a guy in Electronics go look it up. No matter the cost they come up with they should refund your purchase price. I'm not sure if they're suppose to refund the taxes, but for me they didn't and I forgot to ask.

8. They'll finally realize they no longer sell the same TV anymore. Be adamant that you are picking the TV of your choice and will pay the difference if it's higher.

9. Don't forget the 2-year extended warranty. It's not as nice as taking back to Walmart , but you can still take it back there during the first year. After that, check your extended warranty plan for the number to call.

10. Don't forget batteries or cables before you leave. My Sanyo DP32746 didn't come with the necessary 2-AAA's.

My experience took just about 1.5 hours. Hopefully yours will be better. If there are any Walmart Electronics Dept. employees here, please for the love of God tell your Customer Service department that Sanyo TVs have a 1 year in-store replacement policy and to make sure they have some way of verifying the price if the product or receipt codes are no longer in the computer. Waiting 30-50 minutes for that was insane.

AzBat
post #2682 of 2894 Old 01-25-2007, 05:20 AM

I'm getting really tired of this TV.

After getting it repaired because of the "green tint problem," where the red colors would suddenly dissapear (paid for out of warranty by Sanyo), the problem is once again back. Like before, a slight to moderate bang on the right side of the TV's cabinet will correct the problem for a time, though it will eventually pop up.

I haven't called Sanyo's customer service yet, and I'm not sure I want to keep trying to make this TV work.

It seemed like a great buy for $697 exactly two years ago this weekend. Digital tuners were almost non-exsistant in HDTV's at the time, and I appreciated being able to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio because the majority of programming is still transmitted that way.

However, the "green and blue blob" problem since day 1, combined with the "green tint problem" that has plagued the set in recent months, really makes it feel like a bad buy. One would think that a $700 investment would last longer. I'm not ready to be in the television market again yet....

...but I would like to watch the Super Bowl in correct colors!
post #2683 of 2894 Old 01-31-2007, 04:41 PM

I was looking at getting a ht30744 and was wondering if the new ones dont have these same problems. So if anyone can help me that would be great!
post #2684 of 2894 Old 02-02-2007, 01:27 AM

Obligatory: Back on Page 25... now I can really say "I told you so". Hey, that's 2 posts now (someone brutally called me a troll over my number of posts?) and to the (obvious sales) person who said that the 50,000 hour lifespan of Plasma TVs is an incredible 18 years of viewing time (because he feels nobody will watch more than 8 hours per day) --apparently he is unfamiliar with most multi-person households that run their TVs for 15-20 hours a day whether or not any specific person in the household is paying attention --especially when you're talking HDTV which runs 24x7 weather/traffic on some of the digital substations and you have a full house of people. Also, I am the last person to pull that funky sales math on --you see, I have a 36" Mitsubishi SVideo TV that I bought new in 1990 and run 15-20 hours a day and it is just now (in January 2007, some 17 years later) starting to exhibit the symptoms being described recently with this Sanyo model. Guess what my next model my next TV is going to be --hmm, they don't seem to sell it at Walmart because it is not going to be made in quality-challenged Chinese factories. To the guys who were in my face over how the geometry on their bigscreen was near-perfect after 'rolling the carton they came in end-over-end', I can tell you about the time that my immigrant boss took us all out to lunch in LA and accidentally got on the 405 using an offramp instead of an onramp --hey I'm here 20 years later and I'm calling you out on the carpet for being ignorant and liking it! And to the guy who thinks that these units were cheap because of reduced FEATURES as opposed to reduced QUALITY, such economics do not make sense for this kind of digital commodity (unless, of course, you consider QUALITY to be a FEATURE, in which case, he's attacking me over semantics.) Ok, I've had my 10 seconds of fun at this Sanyo roast. Two posts too many, going to be 3 in a second! :lol:

(/ducks)
post #2685 of 2894 Old 02-02-2007, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgray2k View Post

(/ducks)

LOL. You make a lot of good points. Ultimately, this TV will make a good secondary set for the bedroom. The green tinting is only happening occasionally.

Time to upgrade!
post #2686 of 2894 Old 02-08-2007, 09:43 PM

OK, after having the "green tint" problem with an HT30744, it was replaced at Walmart with a HT30746. Hey, I didn't read up to realize the picture differences. But it's OK.

Now, my HT30746 just started something new. When I turn it on, I get this message:

"First
Please connect all signals and antennas to jacks and terminals on the back of the TV.
Then press the CHannel UP key."

Now, the TV has been working GREAT up to this point. I use 3 inputs, 2 using composite (satellite and DVD player) and 1 using component (PS2)

So, I press the channel up key, and it goes through a digital channel search. And then brings me back to a screen that tells me to check my connections and to run the channel search again. It apparently doesn't check for my composite or component connections. Nor does it look for any non-digital signals. (Not that I have any antenna to connect to it.)

I tried pressing the reset button (2x as directed by the manual) on the remote. Nothing. I tried unplugging the TV for a while. Nothing. I tried the "Tuner" button on the remote. Nothing.

Can anyone help me with this?
post #2687 of 2894 Old 02-09-2007, 11:21 AM

I set up a model similar to this at my local store. We were only hooking them up on component cables and weren't using the tuner at all. You have to scan through the channels two times. After the second channel scan, it should say something like no channels found. Then, the picture should go to static. Then, you should be able to select your inputs. It should only do this after you unplug the television. It shouldn't prompt you each time after you turn the television off to scan for channels.
post #2688 of 2894 Old 02-09-2007, 05:36 PM

D'oh! Thanks. Works fine now. Thought I had done that, but I guess it needed to be unplugged first. Man, I feel dumb...
post #2689 of 2894 Old 02-11-2007, 10:30 AM

I was just trying to test my digital cable channels again, and I can't get the "Digital cable search" to appear in the menu. I split the cable and plugged into both connectors, and analog cable works fine.

The only options I have are:

On analog tuner:
channel search
antenna selection
channel scan memory
initial channel

On digital tuner:
channel search
channel scan memory
initial channel

On the digital tuner, digital add-on search and antenna selection are grayed out, and when I do a channel search on the digital tuner, it only searches the digital antenna channels (while obviously not finding any).

Is there something else I'm supposed to do to get it set up for a digital cable signal? I know my first set worked with a few digital cable channels...
post #2690 of 2894 Old 02-11-2007, 04:24 PM

Later models had the QAM (digital cable) functionality disabled. You can call Sanyo for a firmware update, but it requires a PC to be connected to the television.
post #2691 of 2894 Old 02-12-2007, 06:23 PM

can i use the service manual or whatever it's called to fix the rotation on my screen? it's off by a few degrees, which translates to a very noticeable difference of over an inch between the left and right sides unless i crank up the overscan (which i'm not too enthused about)
post #2692 of 2894 Old 02-12-2007, 06:24 PM

oh, does anyone know the actual number of scan lines on the HT30746?
post #2693 of 2894 Old 02-15-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0esc View Post

I am experiencing an intermittant problem with my HT32744.

Off and on when watching TV, I will get a high pitch squeal from the TV. Input mode does not seem to matter. I have tried viewing through my ReplayTV, and directly through the Ant inputs (Noise is audible in HD and SD channels).

TV is fed from local cable company, and HD is tuned through ClearQAM, not a cable box.

Any suggestions. If I turn the TV off, the noise stops immeadiatly, but will resume wehn turned on. It fades in and out over a 5 to 10 minute period it seems.

n0esc

Hey - me too! I'm experiencing the same exact problem- mine is intermittent too. I called Sanyo and the woman said there were no other customers complaining of this. She simply recommended I check if the surround sound is set to on and to turn it off. I dont think that's really any solution! What if I want to use surround sound? I havent really tested it - but I believe it happens on multiple inputs on my set also- composite for tivo and normal ota via digital tuner. Well, if more people than just us two are having this problem I would be interested. Maybe sanyo will cover this issue as well even outside of warranty like the green screen problem.
post #2694 of 2894 Old 02-16-2007, 03:31 PM

talz13 you need to change the channel until it is on D03, the number may vary, digital cable search only appears in the menu when you have a digital cable channel selected, even if it is only the default one. Hope this helps, I had the same problem but quickly figured it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talz13 View Post

I was just trying to test my digital cable channels again, and I can't get the "Digital cable search" to appear in the menu. I split the cable and plugged into both connectors, and analog cable works fine.

The only options I have are:

On analog tuner:
channel search
antenna selection
channel scan memory
initial channel

On digital tuner:
channel search
channel scan memory
initial channel

On the digital tuner, digital add-on search and antenna selection are grayed out, and when I do a channel search on the digital tuner, it only searches the digital antenna channels (while obviously not finding any).

Is there something else I'm supposed to do to get it set up for a digital cable signal? I know my first set worked with a few digital cable channels...

post #2695 of 2894 Old 02-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As far as the 30746's scan lines it appears to use the same picture tube as the 30744 which if I recall is a Samsung tube. Any differences in picture should be within the circuits that process the images. The set does look a lot better through HDMI than it does through component.

Technically a Samsung tube looks good in a Samsung set, so if this set isn't as sharp I think its due to the picture processing circuitry. All in all I've invested a grand total of $281 into this Sanyo 30 inch stuff, I've had a TV be it this one or the 30744 for over two years. The 30744 had to be repaired once for the greenies and would have been repaired again for other issues had Sanyo not decided to replace it. This 30746 so far has been OK and has better geometry. Not the greatest set but I didn't pay much either.

I use this set in the kitchen/dining room, it logs lots of use (there are days when it will be on all day being viewed by someone). If it holds out 5 years fine, most of the newer stuff should be way down in price by then. If it decides to last 10 years, unless I decide to go for something bigger, its probably sufficient for the kitchen/dining room.

Where the market stands now with what I've seen and given the time frame in which I purchased it, it may very well be the last new CRT set I purchase. I can't really use one bigger direct view anywhere. A year prior to this one I bought a 27 inch Samsung HD for an entertainment center which has a limited amount of space in it for a set. Since I've pretty much switched to HD sets everywhere where the main viewing occurs I'm curious to see how the last generations of the CRTs holds out against the LCDs I purchased over the long term.
post #2696 of 2894 Old 03-01-2007, 01:53 PM

I purchased my HT32744 from Value City in Nov 2005 and I love this set. For the better part of a year it worked great. It has a slight tilt to the picture, which I stopped noticing when I'm not looking for it and it has a little noise only noticeable in dark scenes, which I do notice sometimes when watching DVDs.

Over the last six months the green tint problem started. Like others it got more frequent over time until it would show up shortly after turning on the set. At first I was able the get rid of it by switching the set off and on. Lately that hasn't been working all the time so I decided to take a look inside as I don't have the option of a return.

Armed with the knowledge of the resolder IC711 info I looked over the CRT circuit board for bad solder joints. All three IC's appeared to have very nice solder joints, as did most of the rest of the board. However, inductors L711 and L721 (red and green circuits respectively) both appeared to have questionable joints, where the solder was dimpled around the inductor leads. (I'll attach pictures if I can.) I resoldered these joints. Just a quick touch with the iron and a spot of solder did the trick.

So far, so good. I ran the TV the rest of the day without the green tint showing up. I also watched for the noise problem in dark scenes and didn't see it either. Whether it was the resoldering or just the disassembly/reassembly of the TV that fixed it, I don't know. I'll keep my fingers crossed and post again if the green tint reappears.

2 May 07: It's been 2 months and no green tint!
LL
LL
LL
post #2697 of 2894 Old 03-04-2007, 03:52 PM

The 30746 is at Wal Mart for a great price. I am thinking about getting this for my kids to game and watch movies on, as well as watch some OTA HD. I have been reading this thread and the green tint issue scares me. Did Sanyo take care of that going to the 30746?
post #2698 of 2894 Old 03-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnightInNC View Post

The 30746 is at Wal Mart for a great price. I am thinking about getting this for my kids to game and watch movies on, as well as watch some OTA HD. I have been reading this thread and the green tint issue scares me. Did Sanyo take care of that going to the 30746?

Value City has them on sale this week for less than Walmart. I bought one today but didn't notice any green tint.

Does anyone know where I could get the service manual for the HT30746? I've searched through this thread and found the one for the HT30744 and might be able to use it some but would rather have the correct manual.

I also googled it but didn't have any luck.

Thanks

Love me some HD
post #2699 of 2894 Old 03-12-2007, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, 2+ years and 2670 posts after starting this thread I'm back to see if anyone else is having color problems. I've sorted through the last few pages and apparently I'm not alone. I started getting the "green tint" problem in the last month or so. It tends to go in and out but it is there frequently. Has anyone had luck in the past couple weeks returning this set (32") to Wal_mart for an exchange or refund? I'd be satisfied for an exchange for something else they have in stock but I can't find my receipt so I'm guessing I'm SOL. Do I have any chance of getting Sanyo to help me out here? Anyone have a specific service rep they would suggest talking to?
post #2700 of 2894 Old 03-17-2007, 02:26 PM

This past week I have worked on getting a replacement on my HT30744 through SANYO and WALMART. My set was purchased back 4/14/05. I have been having the "green blob" issue since almost day one. Wasn't bad when it started and it happened very rarely. Then it just started getting worse and happened more frequently. At first, we thought it was the cable company, either our HD box or connection. So, we wasted over a year going back and forth with that. Here we are now, I did a search on the problem and found out we should of just returned, when we could, and purchase a different set.
This is what has taken place the last 7 days. From the previous threads I started by calling SANYO. They know about the problem and gave me a number to call HARVEY @ 1-800-877-5036. Sanyo is not instructing returns at Walmart anymore. They are finding you a local shop to take it to and sending out a replacement part. Now here is the bad part, you have to take it to the shop and wait to have it fixed and pick it up from the shop. Sanyo is not covering pick up or delivery. Wish I would of searched the forums earlier when they were exchanging set or allowing refunds. Just bought another set yesterday at FRY's Mitsubishi 52" LCD projection(WD-52531), with the matching stand(MB-52B)ONLY $999 - 5 yrs extended warranty(in home service) with 1 bulb replacement(mailed) $139. Brand new in the sealed boxes. TV stand is already assembled, in the box. Not buying another SANYO ever! They knew about this problem, I registered my TV with them, they could of send out a letter or email over a year ago informing us of the problem. This problem was a major defect not an isolated problem.
I even went as far by contacting about 12 local WALMARTS and speaking with the electronics dept manager. Not one had any idea what I was talking about. NONE had heard of any issues nor returns/exchanges. All told me that when they have major issues they get infromation from Corp. I live in the Chicago area, so I would think they sold a lot of these tv's around here. Where are all the returns and exchanges taking place!!! They don't even have the replacement model listed in previous threads.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page