Forum Jump: 

post #2731 of 2894 Old 06-07-2007, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Only if one knew what they were doing, such as an experienced service technician. One wrong move and---BZZZT!

The basic safety precautions are to:

1. turn off the tv

2. discharge the picture tube

Once you have done that the tv is safe to work on

Having said that you should be comfortable working with electronics before you go around screwing with the inside of a TV set
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2894 Old 06-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blah View Post

Also, can anyone direct me to the Service Manual for the HT30744?

There's a link towards the bottom of this post.
post #2733 of 2894 Old 06-07-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensibull View Post

There's a link towards the bottom of this post.

Thanks. That stuff looks a little scary.
post #2734 of 2894 Old 06-07-2007, 06:51 PM

I have a Sanyo HT28745 that I purchased reconditioned from a Atlanta retailer back in December. I initially had one issue with the unit when I brought it home, but I was able to fix it relatively easily, and since then I have been very happy with the product overall. (In case you are wondering about the issue I had initially; the left speaker that is built into the TV had generated an annoying vibrating sound. I was able to use a paper clip to remove a piece of plastic, left over form the manufacturing process, to eliminate the offending noise.) Yesterday I turned on my TV and I was horrified to see a very nasty purple ring around the image that would not go away. I quickly started doing searches online for possible solutions since my unit no longer carries a warranty. During the course of my searches I found this forum. I was never able to find a solution to my problem online, but through some analysis of my unit, I was able to fix the solution on my own fairly easily. I wanted to post my solution on here so that it might help others with similar problems.

For me the fix was fairly simple, the degaussing coils had come loose from their posts, and so all it took for me to fix the issue was to take the back of the TV off, look around for the degaussing coils (they are very easy to find since they are triangular wires attached directly to the tube body), and reattach the wayward power wires. The wires themselves are connected to the TV control board by plastic encased leads, and they connect at the front of the TV on the side where the AV plugs are attached; right next to a relay. There is nothing but friction holding the connector in place, so I think that the connectors slowly separate from the pins from heat creep. This process may also be helped along by inadvertent bumps during the moving/setup process. I am not sure if the design is exactly the same on the HT32744/HT30744, but given how much I have seen companies scale/recycle proven designs, I would not be surprised if it is exactly the same.

~ Altered
post #2735 of 2894 Old 06-08-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwsh7 View Post

Got my tv back from the repair shop SANYO sent me to. Had to pick it up, of course.

How did you get Sanyo to send you to a shop? I'm on my second Sanyo 42-inch plasma that's gone bad. The only response I could get from Harvey was "nothing we can do" and that I could take it back to Wal-Mart, but the new one would "probably have the same tendencies."
post #2736 of 2894 Old 06-09-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spychocyco View Post

How did you get Sanyo to send you to a shop? I'm on my second Sanyo 42-inch plasma that's gone bad. The only response I could get from Harvey was "nothing we can do" and that I could take it back to Wal-Mart, but the new one would "probably have the same tendencies."

My understanding is the only post warranty work being authorized by Sanyo is the "green tint" problem (which is actually a loss of the red gun) on the HT32744. The reason they are fixing this problem after the warranty has run out is because it is a mass manufacturing defect in a significant number of HT32744 TV's.

I believe this has been touched on previously in this thread however searching almost a hundred forum pages isn't something I care to do.
post #2737 of 2894 Old 06-09-2007, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post

The basic safety precautions are to:

1. turn off the tv

2. discharge the picture tube

Once you have done that the tv is safe to work on

Having said that you should be comfortable working with electronics before you go around screwing with the inside of a TV set

It would also help to unplug it first. This procedure is not for the faint of heart, or the inexperienced.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #2738 of 2894 Old 06-10-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:

I believe this has been touched on previously in this thread however searching almost a hundred forum pages isn't something I care to do.

Sorry to have repeated info. I just stumbled across the post, and was just searching for any alternative to haggling with Wal-Mart (which seems to have a difference of opinion with Sanyo on how long the warranty is) again.
post #2739 of 2894 Old 06-13-2007, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

It would also help to unplug it first.

Good one!

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #2740 of 2894 Old 06-15-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:

My understanding is the only post warranty work being authorized by Sanyo is the "green tint" problem (which is actually a loss of the red gun) on the HT32744. The reason they are fixing this problem after the warranty has run out is because it is a mass manufacturing defect in a significant number of HT32744 TV's.

So the Green blobing is not prevalent on the 30s? Sweet
post #2741 of 2894 Old 06-15-2007, 07:04 PM

Please, anyone answer this question to the point.. WHY WONT MY HT30746 32 INCH HDTV 1080I ONLY FILL THE SCREEN ON PIX SHAPE 1 (PIX SHAPE 2 CUTS OFF THE LEFT AND RIGHT OF THE SCREEN A FEW INCHES) AND FILL THE SCREEN 16X9 AND NOT WITH BLACK BARS ON THE RIGHT AND LEFT? I DONT GET IT! XBOX 360 1080I COMPONENT AND THE TV 1080I, BUT NO FULL SCREEN? WHY?
post #2742 of 2894 Old 06-17-2007, 11:51 AM

Well after almost 3 years of owning the 32 inch I started to have issues this week. the screen will get blurry for a few seconds up to an hour. I've tried turning it off and on and it has not helped. I don't think I'll bother calling up Sanyo because It has been almost 3 years since the purchase. Any input????

I'm sure during the next few weeks I'll start my search for a new tv .....
post #2743 of 2894 Old 06-17-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachneedle View Post

Please, anyone answer this question to the point.. WHY WONT MY HT30746 32 INCH HDTV 1080I ONLY FILL THE SCREEN ON PIX SHAPE 1 (PIX SHAPE 2 CUTS OFF THE LEFT AND RIGHT OF THE SCREEN A FEW INCHES) AND FILL THE SCREEN 16X9 AND NOT WITH BLACK BARS ON THE RIGHT AND LEFT? I DONT GET IT! XBOX 360 1080I COMPONENT AND THE TV 1080I, BUT NO FULL SCREEN? WHY?

First...

STOP WITH THE ALL CAPS!

It is considered yelling, and is *QUITE* rude.

Next...

Bad news, your TV is a 30", NOT a 32"!!!

Finally...

Check the settings on your xBox and make sure that the TV type is set to 16:9, not 4:3. (if such a setting exists on the xBox?, I don't have one myself)

Regards,

Randy
post #2744 of 2894 Old 06-18-2007, 11:06 AM

Here is detailed information on the issue I'm having with my 30 inch Sanyo Vizon HT30746 HDTV... I sent this email to sanyo tech support as well, to a guy named harry, because Jim was out today.. Hopefull between them and you, someone will simply give me a CONCRETE answer!

Here is what i've come up with so far. Keep
in mind, I have read over 100 posts concerning this TV, but haven't received a
concrete YES/NO answer on it.. Honestly, I don't think it's a defective TV, it's
just the way the TV handles HD singals.

XBOX360-- Hooked up component (tried both inputs to verify, same result).. XBOX
is SET to 1080i (Tried 720P, same result) widescreen mode (Only choice you have
when you set it to 1080i or 720p).. I've verified this several times, and also
checked on forums concerning xbox, it's hooked up correctly. The screen (in
pixshape 1) with the xbox gives me black bars on the left and right, 4:3 aspect
ratio. Yes, the picture is much better than composite (i tested that to see),
but I can't get a full HD 16x9 picture on a 1080i input unless I switch to pix
shape2, which stretches the image, cuts off parts of the image on the left and
right.. Also, looks crappy (cause it's just a zoom)... I am at a loss,
quadruple checked all settings, over and over, same result. Everyone on xbox forums can't understand
why it wont work. Also, I tested this xbox on my parents HD dlp tv, and worked
perfect and automatically was full and not cropped 16xx9.

TIVO-HD DVR-- When watching HD channels such as HBO HD, ESPN HD, etc.. The same
thing as on the xbox.. No 16x9 without the zoom/pix shape 2... Once again, nice
picture, but 4:3 on the tv... I tried every setting on this box, over and over
and over and over, same result. On my parents tv, once again, this tivo hd
worked perfect in 16x9....

Lastly, I see on pix shape 1, on sattelite and some games, an overscan line to
the left edge of where the pic cuts off, about a 1/2 inch from it.. A solid
line, sometimes green, mostly dark gray. Shows up mainly on bright screens, and
I've turned the brightness way down, it helps. I know there are options in
service menu, but I have no idea how to access it, and I don't want to make
things worse. Also, no wal marts in my area have this TV anymore, so exchanging it would be hard.

I hope all this helps. The one thing I haven't tested is THE HDMI input. I
don't know if that would change anything concerning the hd feed, as the xbox
doesnt have hdmi, and I wont be setting up the HD TIVO for about another 3 weeks
(My parents are finishing watching al the taped shows, they upgraded to
directv's own hd dvr)....

That should help.. Keep mind I've checked everything on my own that I could,
read hundreds of post on avs forum and such, and I'm stumped at this point!

Thanks
post #2745 of 2894 Old 06-23-2007, 05:54 AM

HI Folks,

Wondering if someone might have a tip on how to cure a problem I am having. I am getting Dark smears (very dark on the left spreading to lighter on the right) across my screen.

It just started happening a few days ago. At first it would go away after the TV had been on a few minutes, but now it seems to be permanent.

Any thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated.
post #2746 of 2894 Old 06-23-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2002 View Post

HI Folks,

Wondering if someone might have a tip on how to cure a problem I am having. I am getting Dark smears (very dark on the left spreading to lighter on the right) across my screen.

It just started happening a few days ago. At first it would go away after the TV had been on a few minutes, but now it seems to be permanent.

Tv model do you have? Also, the # for Sanyo I'd recommend calling is 800-877-5036, ask for Mr. Jim x 1712, he is in cust service, but knows these tv''s well.. Also, I have the service manual for the 30 INCH HDTV Vizon CRT model if you need it.. HT30746
post #2747 of 2894 Old 06-24-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachneedle View Post

Tv model do you have? Also, the # for Sanyo I'd recommend calling is 800-877-5036, ask for Mr. Jim x 1712, he is in cust service, but knows these tv''s well.. Also, I have the service manual for the 30 INCH HDTV Vizon CRT model if you need it.. HT30746

It is te HT30744.

I have the service manual, but unfortunately I don't know whats causing the problem (so I have no idea what the solution is)

Any one have thoughts?
post #2748 of 2894 Old 06-25-2007, 07:35 AM

Hi guys. First time poster, long time lurker.

I have a geometry issue with my HT30746 30" wide HDTV. On letterboxed content, the upper right hand corner of the picture is quite a bit lower than the left. However, the bottom line is OK. Furthermore, there's some weird "overscan" - a bright line on the left side of the screen.

Sanyo says I have to return the TV. They said it's an unadjustable issue with the tube itself. It doesn't fit too well into a Ford Thunderbird. I found a link to the service manual once before, and if I'm going to return it, I know Wally-World won't plug it in check it, so maybe mucking around with the service menu might do some good.

As an aside, the recordings are great on their hold music. As a Pennsylvanian, the only time I hear a southern accent is when someone's talking about the last deer they killed, not how to properly hook up a progressive-scan DVD player.

EDIT: Ack! I found the service manual. However, for pincushion adjustments, there's only an Upper Level and Lower Level pin adjustment, not one for each corner. I'm pretty sure it can't be the phase or angle, since only one corner is off.

EDIT II: Okay, I'm done screwing with it for a while. I have a service manual for a HT30744, and the numbers in the service menu it refers to are certainly not the same.
post #2749 of 2894 Old 06-26-2007, 10:02 AM

Beachneedle,
Have you tested the HT30746 with a HDMI cable yet? I'm thinking about purchasing this unit, but I also noticed the same zoomed problem with the display model vs other 16:9 LCD's & Plasma's @ Wal-Mart?? Anyone out there who owns this unit, can you help answer this question?
Thanks!!
post #2750 of 2894 Old 06-27-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by had1 View Post

Beachneedle,
Have you tested the HT30746 with a HDMI cable yet? I'm thinking about purchasing this unit, but I also noticed the same zoomed problem with the display model vs other 16:9 LCD's & Plasma's @ Wal-Mart?? Anyone out there who owns this unit, can you help answer this question?
Thanks!!

I haven't.. My 360 is component, and I haven't hooked up my hdmi tivo just yet, soon.. I'm guessing it will be the same, but may have a more fluid picture...
post #2751 of 2894 Old 06-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been using a 30746 in the dining room via an older Scientific Atlanta DVR HD box which has a DVI out in the back. I use DVI to HDMI converter, set the box to pass through / 16:9 and the box sends whatever the HD stations are in their broadcast resolution, the TV resizes them automatically, never had to touch anything on the TV to do this just sits on pic shape 1. If a 4:3 is broadcast it is automatically pillarboxed, and if HD content is received the picture then fills the whole screen. I believe the key here is to allow the set to resize as opposed to trying to force it to a particular resolution. I think if you try to force feed it a specific scaled resolution through the HDMI it will do as described. As far as component when I used that I remember having to resize the image as it would stretch 4:3 content but never had much of an issue beyond that.

My 30746 has better geometry than the 30744, when displaying 4:3 there is less bowing to the picture (almost to the point of being unnoticable, something I'd never even attempt to adjust, as far as picture tubes go it is pretty darn good). I've never had much of an overscan issue, it does scan wider than a fixed pixel display, I can tell that by lining up the ABC HD logo to the side on both types of sets for comparison. The amount is insufficient enough that it makes no difference in viewing and is within the realm of what I've seen with most CRTs. Usually some amount of overscan is built into to compensate for voltage differences in the line.
post #2752 of 2894 Old 06-28-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrly View Post

I've been using a 30746 in the dining room via an older Scientific Atlanta DVR HD box which has a DVI out in the back. I use DVI to HDMI converter, set the box to pass through / 16:9 and the box sends whatever the HD stations are in their broadcast resolution, the TV resizes them automatically, never had to touch anything on the TV to do this just sits on pic shape 1. If a 4:3 is broadcast it is automatically pillarboxed, and if HD content is received the picture then fills the whole screen. I believe the key here is to allow the set to resize as opposed to trying to force it to a particular resolution. I think if you try to force feed it a specific scaled resolution through the HDMI it will do as described. As far as component when I used that I remember having to resize the image as it would stretch 4:3 content but never had much of an issue beyond that.

My 30746 has better geometry than the 30744, when displaying 4:3 there is less bowing to the picture (almost to the point of being unnoticable, something I'd never even attempt to adjust, as far as picture tubes go it is pretty darn good). I've never had much of an overscan issue, it does scan wider than a fixed pixel display, I can tell that by lining up the ABC HD logo to the side on both types of sets for comparison. The amount is insufficient enough that it makes no difference in viewing and is within the realm of what I've seen with most CRTs. Usually some amount of overscan is built into to compensate for voltage differences in the line.

Interesting, because when I have an HD feed, it does not fill the screen, it puts it in a 4:3 ratio, although the picture itself is very nice, HD quality. I wonder why component won't work correctly? Now, if I go HDMI TO HDMI, I wonder if it will do the same?
post #2753 of 2894 Old 07-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not to sure why it wouldn't fill the screen, however at least one of the modes should when displaying a 1080i signal, perhaps they changed what picture shape corresponded to what setting I'm not sure, and I know that you can change these all around in the service menu.

Regardless of what setting is what, if its working properly with whatever picture shape you're using when you flip to a 4:3 source you should have black bars on the sides, if not you're stretching the image. When it goes to a 16:9 it should then fill the screen. If you feed the display a fixed signal, such as a 4:3 480i/p that is upconverted externally to 1080i the TV will usually stretch it to fill the screen as it seems to think that this is an HD feed. A true 1080i signal however is just that and the TV will display this as it is. Hence if you don't upconvert the signal to 1080i from the 4:3 source it should have black bars and look like a normal non widescreen set would.

It did take some playing around with the cable box to make it work right, generally the best solution was to pass through whatever the existing resolution the stations were using, then it just automatically adjusts the aspect ratio accordingly. Hence 4:3 will have black bars, whether 480i or p. 1080i, 720p will automatically fill the screen, I have not had to change the picture shape since this, the TV automatically resizes based on the incoming signa;.

Now if they changed how the picture shape settings work I'm not sure, but to test if you're using the right one find a stationary pattern (such as a logo in a screen corner) and test the picture zoom settings, the proper setting for the 16:9 should not adjust the vertical height, only the width. The TV will overscan between a half an inch and an inch on the sides depending on the incoming line voltage. This probably can be altered in the service menu. The important thing to watch for is whether or not its zooming vertically, if it is then you're not using the right setting, hence the station logo should appear at the normal height for it (probably best to check with another TV to see where the logo should be positioned height wise). 4:3 sources should have black bars on the side as a 4:3 would, if not you're stretching the image, or providing an upconverted image the TV thinks is HD and thus tries to display as 16:9.

Depending on sources being used how it works might be different. This TV is not alone in its anomolies with picture settings. My Sony 42A10 responds differently to signals/resolutions. Hence when using 480i on an old DVD player before upgrading to HD DVD, you had to set the DVD player to 16:9 widescreen, the TV would display it as 4:3, and you actually had to set it to zoom for it to be the proper aspect ratio. Why it worked that way is anyones guess. LD over composite yielded even more oddities and required its own settings (zoom1). Cable box had to be set to Full to get the proper image sizing.

My flat panel here in the bedroom almost always has to be left on Full to get the proper image sizing.

I think a lot merely has to do with how the TV responds to the various input resolutions. Manufacturers probably do as they see fit.
post #2754 of 2894 Old 07-19-2007, 06:40 PM

Rocking the TV gently did the trick! Thanks all for the suggestion.
post #2755 of 2894 Old 07-22-2007, 05:33 PM

Hi, I got a HT28745 from my parents who got a new TV.. Have had it for about a week. Well, I got some component cables for my DVD player and plugged them in. Well where I had the audio cables plugged in ran through component 3, so I was going to switch the component cables to there.... and then the TV clicked off.

So, now the TV won't turn back on. It clicks on and then a couple seconds later clicks back off (no change to screen). Does this three times and then it won't do anything unless I unplug/replug it in.

TV is out of warranty.... HELP?
post #2756 of 2894 Old 08-04-2007, 02:31 PM

I have the 30744 and its service manual. Which adjustments would I make to adjust the convergence? (I imagine the adjustments would be green-red and green-blue, with horizontal and vertical for each? not sure) The service manual doesn't elaborate on the meaning of each item, so does anyone know?
post #2757 of 2894 Old 08-05-2007, 04:15 PM

Liked: 13
I just finished cleaning the contacts on the digital module (ATSC tuner) in my HT32744. Took about an hour from start to finish. Definitely not for beginners, but an experienced electronics hobbyist shouldn't have any problem. Only difficult part was releasing the 3 retaining clips (one on each connector) that lock the module down, because you can't easily see or access them. A chopstick was the perfect tool for that job.

I did a two-step cleaning process using DeoxIT cleaner followed by DeoxIT Gold (formerly ProGold) to prevent any future oxidation. The results are immediately obvious: reds are now MUCH brighter and more saturated than before. Even more than when the tv was new. I'm hopeful this is a long term fix for the green tint problem (loss of red).

My short term fix for the green tint problem was to thump the back of the TV where the connectors are (close to the HDMI connector). It always worked, but was getting annoying (once a day or more).

--Dan
post #2758 of 2894 Old 08-28-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2002 View Post

HI Folks,

I'm having the same problem.
Sometimes, but not always, when you turn it off and back on it will clear up.
I have also tapped pretty firmly on the frame just above the screen and got it to clear up sometimes.
If none of this works try gently rocking it back and forth. This always clears it up for me, but I'm afraid its going to break the shelf on my cabinet.
Mine also will just get blurry at times and loses audio.
I'm abouth ready to junk it.
post #2759 of 2894 Old 09-03-2007, 05:51 AM

I purchased my Sanyo 30744 1/05 at Walmart and had a problem right out of the box called Walmart and they replaced TV with another... no problem
The 2nd TV was excellent with DirecTv (component) but when I switch to cable the HDMI would not show a signal...Called Sanyo (Harvey) and he arranged a home service call to replaced the HDMI component ... didn't solve the problem..and after much research I was told that since HDMI was so new that there was no standardization yet and my Sanyo was not compatible with the Scientific Atlanta HD box so I used component cables..
About a week later a Sanyo manager called as a follow up to see if the problem was resolved.
I've had the Green Issue for sometime and thru this Forum and thread I have been fixing by slapping the top of the TV.....dirty but quick
Two weeks ago the TV started to blink....picture / blank / picture / blank etcand the Green Issue was happening frequently.... slapping wasn't working.
Being that the TV was 32 months old and way out of warranty I called several local repair shops and got ballpark estimates of $500+ if they could get the parts.

I started looking at new LCD TVs.

Then I thought as a last resort I would call Sanyo and ask if the Green Issue and the Blinking were known to them?....was there a fix?....and to my surprise they said that they would cover the Green Issue under warranty because it was a knownproblem...they located a repair shop close to me and I schlepped the 135lb Monster over to them.
Just got the TV back and fixing the Green Issue fixed the Blinking problem.

I want to commend Sanyo for their handling of this problem and they have a customer
for life....Sanyo will be the first TV I look at for my next purchase.
post #2760 of 2894 Old 09-09-2007, 06:56 PM

Is there a way to browse the menu without a remote? I bought my TV about 5 months ago from a display model at Wal-Mart and I have a universal remote, but it won't allow me to go up and down through the menu. It changes channels and all that, but can't do anything else with it. I don't really want to spend $35 on the exact remote, but I might have to.

I can get the menu screen to appear.. but can't navigate.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page