Official Sanyo HT32744/HT30744 thread - Page 93 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2761 of 2894 Old 09-13-2007, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hdizzy, that's good to hear.
I just started getting the, "green screen" myself, after purchasing the TV in April? of 06. I'll give sanyo CS a call and see what they say!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2894 Old 09-16-2007, 12:10 AM

Ok. I got the official controller. My question now is this:
If I am having a hard time getting the channel search to pick up a channel (digital), how can I manually add that channel? Like when I search, sometimes it will pick up a channel and not pick up another one, so I redo it to get the other one and then the channel that did show up doesn't show up anymore.

Can I not just pick a channel and add it? Its kind of annoying.
post #2763 of 2894 Old 09-16-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders4617 View Post

Ok. I got the official controller. My question now is this:
If I am having a hard time getting the channel search to pick up a channel (digital), how can I manually add that channel? Like when I search, sometimes it will pick up a channel and not pick up another one, so I redo it to get the other one and then the channel that did show up doesn't show up anymore.

Can I not just pick a channel and add it? Its kind of annoying.

I always had/have to do the "add on search". It's better than most as the TV won't wipe out your previous found channels. I wish my new LCD would do this, it doesn't retain the old channels like this set does.
post #2764 of 2894 Old 09-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just an odd observation, for some unusual reason the HT30746 looks surprisingly much better with football games than it does with most other HD programming. Or at least better than I've ever seen this set look since I got it. I never thought this TV was as good in picture as the 30744 aside from the fact that the geometry is much better, with almost perfect pillarboxing on 4:3 content (virtually no bowing). I wonder if the cable didn't just start to constrict bandwidth as they added more channels, which would account for looking worse than the 30744. They started to add channels right around the time Sanyo replaced the other one. I never really used either of these TVs with OTA programming.

I always thought the picture was a bit on the grainy side of things on this set, but I'm watching some football I recorded on the DVR earlier and it is almost like an entirely different ballgame, clear, colorful, excellent detail all that I thought was lacking. No apparent grainy effect, I'm wondering if it wasn't some sort of compression/artifacting from restricted bandwidth by the cable. If you were to see a picture like this on this set in the store you'd be rather impressed too.

Honestly it is the first time I've really really been impressed with the picture, maybe I was too quick to judge this set.
post #2765 of 2894 Old 09-16-2007, 11:39 PM

My DVI-HDMI no longer works with my HT30744. It used to work fine. Now my ATI card doesn't "see" the TV. If I go to "Force TV Detection" on ATI Control Center it will find the TV, but not as an HD display and I can't get the TV to display anything.

I tried reinstalling windows, and Checked my cable and PC at a friends and they both still work.

Anyone have this problem or know how it can be fixed?

Thanks
post #2766 of 2894 Old 09-17-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegilla View Post

My DVI-HDMI no longer works with my HT30744. It used to work fine. Now my ATI card doesn't "see" the TV. If I go to "Force TV Detection" on ATI Control Center it will find the TV, but not as an HD display and I can't get the TV to display anything.

I tried reinstalling windows, and Checked my cable and PC at a friends and they both still work.

Anyone have this problem or know how it can be fixed?

Thanks

I never used the HDMI connection until just recently, even though I've had the TV for a long time now. I was never able to get the display to be widescreen, it always had the pillar boxes on the side, no matter what I did. I have little hope of ever getting this aspect of the TV to work at this point.
post #2767 of 2894 Old 09-20-2007, 09:23 PM

I watched Florida vs Tennessee in HD last Saturday.. and I have to say it looked GREAT. Since I never had the controller, I always had the zoomed in look (pix 4).. and HD didn't look near as good. It looked better than regular tv of course, but not like I had hoped.
post #2768 of 2894 Old 09-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Someone in my town is listing a HT30744 for sale.

They said they were trying to adjust a configuration value in the service menu and the picture went blank.

They are asking $50.

Anyone think this is worth it?

Any idea if it can be fixed?

Thanks for any help/ideas.
post #2769 of 2894 Old 09-24-2007, 12:29 PM

I have the 30" Sanyo. I want to adjust the width of the screen in the service menu. When I switch from Pix 1 to Pix 2 while playing my 360 I notice I'm losing part of the screen. Is this difficult to do and is it potentially harmful? I looked in the service manual and the steps seem straight forward. Can you have a test image up on the screen while adjusting it? I've had this TV for over a year too. Is adjusting these settings after using it this long going to be a problem?
post #2770 of 2894 Old 09-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

It could screw up the set, I've not tried it. However the set has a built in overscan of between half and inch and an inch on the horizontal, dependent upon the line voltage. Most CRTs have some built in overscan to account for line voltage variations, that just seems to be what this one was designed with. If your line voltage is stable it probably is possible to shave off some of the excess, but of course you run the risk of blacking out the picture entirely and not being able to correct it. As far as running it, I've been using the set for quite a while and it hasn't really changed, so I doubt length of time run would have much if any bearing on it.
post #2771 of 2894 Old 09-25-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBri99 View Post

They said they were trying to adjust a configuration value in the service menu and the picture went blank.
They are asking $50.

I've not read too many success stories doing what you are suggesting.
post #2772 of 2894 Old 09-26-2007, 10:24 AM

The more sub-channels a channel has the more the HD channel has to be compressed to make room for them. This reduces the resolution.
post #2773 of 2894 Old 09-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambev View Post

The more sub-channels a channel has the more the HD channel has to be compressed to make room for them. This reduces the resolution.

Still I never noticed that with the old Samsung TXN2771HF I had in there prior to this set, nor did I notice it with the HT30744. Think it was merely coincidence that they added the channels around the time that I switched sets that made it appear worse than it was. One of these days I'll hook an HD DVD player up to it and see just how good or not good it really is, I suppose I'll try this if Sears reduced the HD-A1 they've had sitting around and I pick it up for the other livingroom as I have a lot of movies for it, which would make it worth my while. Should I end up doing that I'll let everyone know how it looks.
post #2774 of 2894 Old 09-28-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBri99 View Post

They are asking $50.

This happened to me while I was in the menu and I almost freaked out... but cooler head prevailed and I just mentally retraced my steps and I got the picture back.

It will probably be possible to get the picture back but it may take a while to go through all the codes to see which is screwed up.

My suggestion is to go through each one at a time and adjust three up and three down, that out to get the picture back.

but its definately a risk.. is it worth $50.00
probably.

I'd buy it.
post #2775 of 2894 Old 09-28-2007, 06:15 AM

smack it on the left side or grab the top in the middle and rock it.

works for me.
post #2776 of 2894 Old 09-28-2007, 01:49 PM

I've been viewing HD on my32744 using the QAM tuner but tried recently to use a SA8300 from TW. I ran the setup multiple times and never got it to work right.

Either the SD material got scrunched and the HD was correct (usually when I tried a 16x9 setup) or the SD was normal and the HD got sent in as 4x3.

Has anyone gotten it so the SD is full screen and the HD comes out in the 16x9 with the black bars at the top and bottom?

I tried search and there is a section on it, but it died off before anyone really gave an answer besides running the setup again.

Thanks
post #2777 of 2894 Old 09-29-2007, 12:09 PM

It has something to do with putting the cable box in "pass through" mode.

Unfortunately, I don't have the box anymore to tell you where to find that setting. Look in the menu that lets you set the resolution coming out of the box...set it to pass through and that might do the trick.
post #2778 of 2894 Old 10-05-2007, 01:17 PM

I bought a Sanyo HT30746 in used conditions for a very, very low price and I want to connect all my old systems and a Wii, everything works except for something that bugs me a bit, when I press the menu button on my remote and the menu options appear on screen, I can't choose any of them, I just can't move between the different options to customize the settings to my own taste, specially the picture ones because color, bright and contrast look bad, I thought that maybe buttons in the remote are not working, so I tried with a Sony universal remote and the same thing, I can't move, I press the up and down buttons and I can't choose any option, is like the buttons don't work, which is weird considering that I tried with two remotes...Also, when I press the parental control button, nothing happens. I just want to know if there is a way to fix this, perhaps a way to calibrate colors, bright, contrast and all that stuff without using the menu?, Is there something I can check in the Service Manual? Can someone tell me where I can find it? Is this a sign of something more serious?? All help is very welcome.
post #2779 of 2894 Old 10-09-2007, 08:32 AM

Well add me to the list of owners with the color problem. I cannot remember if I have the 30" or 32" model. Also, my problem seems to be a lose of another color besides red as the picture first goes blurry and then turns very red and dark. Smacking the left side (only side accessible) of the case fixes the picture. My set is nearing 3 years old.

I called Sanyo and the service person said it is a common issue and the fix is to remove and clean the "converter". That is all he would say. He said the converter is part of the tuner. Huh? Which tuner? Color problem is same regardless of tuner used. Anyway, his comments seem consistent with cleaning "pins". So, I will open up the case and look for bad solder joints and clean all electrical "plug" or "socket" connectors.

I have worked on tv's and monitors before, but I cannot seem to remember the safe way to discharge the picture tube...something about screw driver under rubber cap/cup clipped to chassis ground...seems crude and potentially damaging.
post #2780 of 2894 Old 10-13-2007, 10:07 PM

I have had my HT32744 Sanyo for almost a year now. A few months after I first purchased it, I went into the service menu and corrected some for overscan. Now, quite a bit later, there is still a bit of overscan. I've delayed fixing it for some half year now (:P). Today when I went to go into the service menu to attempt to fix the problem, I wasn't even able to get into the service menu! I've done it before, on this exact set. However, when I try and enter the service menu now (by unplugging the TV, holding down the "VOL -" button on the TV itself, then plugging it back in), it always tells me to press the CH UP button to scan for channels. I'm not sure what's different this time, but if anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Getting this fixed would be nice. ^_^
post #2781 of 2894 Old 10-14-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow...2700+ posts since my orignial starting the thread! I've got this issue intermittently. Some days it will be fine, others I'll get the green tint that comes and goes. A gentle love tap to the side of the case will fix it on occasion. Anyway, can anyone give me some tips on trying to deal with Sanyo on this out of warranty? I assume the first step is calling Sanyo CS since it seems like thety are well aware of the issue. Is there an official TSB I can reference or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post

My understanding is the only post warranty work being authorized by Sanyo is the "green tint" problem (which is actually a loss of the red gun) on the HT32744. The reason they are fixing this problem after the warranty has run out is because it is a mass manufacturing defect in a significant number of HT32744 TV's.

post #2782 of 2894 Old 10-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

They serviced my set under warranty the replaced it out of warranty. I had a 30744 and they replaced it with a 30746 about 6 months after the initial warranty expired. Just contact them see what they say, they were very helpful with me, even called back to make sure that I was satisfied. It is service like that that makes a repeat buyer. I was considering a cheaper 50 inch Plasma TV to upgrade my one 42 incher with in the one livingroom, Sanyo normally wouldn't have been something I'd have considered but thanks to their excellent service it is now something I might consider. That said the 30746 has been just fine. I have this TV in the dining room, same as I had the original, where they get a lot of use it is placed in the corner of the room so the depth of a picture tube makes no difference.

I've never really considered it to be a top tier set, some sets have a better picture, the picture is decent if you turn the over bright factory settings down. I'm not one of those die hard CRT fans either, I've got two HD CRTs (this and a Samsung), one LCD rear projection, one LCD flat panel, and one 800x600 LCD VGA projector which I guess would be considered EDTV. Still they weren't a bad value when they were readily available, you can still find some refurbs out there, some Wal-Marts probabaly still have some new ones (I saw one at one like two weeks ago). It is a decent way to get an HD set without spending a good chunk of change. I think I paid $281 for mine. Even today that is still $300 less than a budget LCD and I've had one or the other for quite some time. Technically the picture is better than a lot of the budget LCDs because the black level on many of the budget sets is obviously worse, as is the repsonse time.

I've been DVRing all the football games the last few weeks and watching them sans commercials on this set and it looks good on HD, not as good as the Sony in the livingroom, but still quite good and as with any CRTs you won't see a hint of motion blur with fast action, so in all I've been satisfied. I never bought the Sanyo due to recommendations of anyone, simply the cheap price and the location of where I was going to use it.

Unfortunately now they seem to be making only an SD version of the set, at least that I can find. It is not much cheaper, lacks many of the features, has an obviously worse picture (even though from what I can find it probably uses the same CRT, which seems like a waste of potential to me). If you see one of the HD ones floating around and are in need of a cheap set its not too bad for the price and what you get.
post #2783 of 2894 Old 10-15-2007, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just called CS and was told that Sanyo has been repairing/replacing sets with the "green screen" issue. The lady I spoke with couldn't say if they were still doing this or not but gave me the name and number of the manager who would know. He's on lunch now but I will be calling later today. I'll post an update once I have some more info. The manager's name is Harvey and he can be reached at (800) 877-5036 ext 1700.

UPDATE

Harvey was a nice guy. He asked me to explain what was going on and then said he'd need the serial # and should be able to fix it under warranty for me. Hopefully that means I can drop it off at a local service center this week.
post #2784 of 2894 Old 10-15-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post

Harvey was a nice guy. He asked me to explain what was going on and then said he'd need the serial # and should be able to fix it under warranty for me. Hopefully that means I can drop it off at a local service center this week.

You and what Army?
post #2785 of 2894 Old 10-15-2007, 10:23 PM

Does anybody still have a link to the service manual for HT32744? It seems to have disappeared.
Could anyone email me a copy please
post #2786 of 2894 Old 10-16-2007, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This set is nothing. I previously had a 40" Sony XBR tube that weighed close to 300lbs IIRC. I am able to at least move this around the apartment myself. I'll definitely need some help getting it down the steps though.

I just spoke with Harvey again with my serial # and address/phone. He said they will locate a service center within a reasonable distance of me and fix the set free of charge. I don't mind having to take the set in myself, I'm just happy to have it fixed. I actually decided to replace it last week anyway so I now have a nice 37" Vizio in the bedroom. I'll be putting this set up on Craigs List as soon as I get it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blah View Post

You and what Army?

post #2787 of 2894 Old 10-16-2007, 12:01 PM

vladgur;
P.M. me with an addy and I'll send it to you.
It's 4.87mb
post #2788 of 2894 Old 10-18-2007, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dropped my set off at the service center yesterday. They said no worries, I've got full coverage and they'll take care of it. Should be a couple weeks by the time they replicate the proble, order parts and fix it. Sanyo CS has been a pleasure to work with, especially considering this set has been out of warranty for over a year.
post #2789 of 2894 Old 10-18-2007, 09:13 PM

I'm glad to see this thread going on. I'd still like to get the best possible performance from this actually good tv. I woould like to fix a couple of common problems including a bend on the top right of the screen and diagonal lines on during a dark black display. I am fortunately NOT having the green tint problem. Also if anyone has perfected using an ATI radeon card with this tv I could use your help as well.
post #2790 of 2894 Old 10-23-2007, 06:08 PM

I have one of the 32 inch TV's and I was wondering if I could just bring this into walmart and return it at this point. I wouldnt mind getting store credit but could someone let me know if this would be possible? I dont have the box anymore and the TV is a little knicked from moving it in and out of dorm rooms but its still very functional but a little too big for me at the moment and the green thing is really pissing me off at the moment. Do I just take it back to walmart and suprise them or is there someone I should talk to first.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page