Official Sanyo HT32744/HT30744 thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 2894 Old 11-08-2007, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mr X was a nice guy. He asked me to explain what was going on and then said he'd need the serial # and should be able to fix it under warranty for me. Hopefully that means I can drop it off at a local service center this week.

Same thing happened for me- I guess it pays to be persistent- seeing as how the first time I called they said NO repairing under warranty due to the age of the set.

THANK YOU - SANYO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2894 Old 11-18-2007, 08:31 AM

I have a Sanyo HT30744 and have been satisfied with everything except the lag I experience when playing console games. I've tried all connections and that doesn't make a difference. Is there something that I can do to fix this issue?
post #2793 of 2894 Old 12-06-2007, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the info and posting!

Well, I called Sanyo after reading this topic. Contacted Harvey and he says something about infamously being famous on the Internet kiddingly. Serial number and I have to drop it off for a fix. He did add if it was the picture tube, I'm on my own but most likely the green screen problem is it.

Fantastic! And thanks to those on this topic that have been persistent. The way this was going, I'd get it fixed on my own and skip Sanyo pretty much as I've never had a TV blow until 5-6 years. ( My own is 8-9 years ) But this service makes me reconsider definitely Sanyo when time comes.

Thanks to the OP leading to Harvey and thanks to Harvey!

"The manager's name is Harvey and he can be reached at (800) 877-5036 ext 1700.

UPDATE

Harvey was a nice guy. He asked me to explain what was going on and then said he'd need the serial # and should be able to fix it under warranty for me. Hopefully that means I can drop it off at a local service center this week."
post #2794 of 2894 Old 12-06-2007, 07:38 PM

Liked: 11
This is a post from a few months past, but it's happening with my set also, and started about 3 weeks ago. I've had it for exactly 2 years now, and what I notice is that if I squeeze together the plastic casing on the top of the set, it stops. It seems like something became loose and is... well... I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it seems to work. Of course the next day it will start up again. Getting quite annoying, but it usually goes away after a few minutes... I guess nobody has any further news on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdoo View Post

Hey - me too! I'm experiencing the same exact problem- mine is intermittent too. I called Sanyo and the woman said there were no other customers complaining of this. She simply recommended I check if the surround sound is set to on and to turn it off. I dont think that's really any solution! What if I want to use surround sound? I havent really tested it - but I believe it happens on multiple inputs on my set also- composite for tivo and normal ota via digital tuner. Well, if more people than just us two are having this problem I would be interested. Maybe sanyo will cover this issue as well even outside of warranty like the green screen problem.

post #2795 of 2894 Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 AM

I everyone I just started having trouble with my HT373744 and a green tint to the screen I bought it through walmart with a extended waranty but I cant find the waranty but I see you all talking about a green screen problem I have to turn my green all the way down in the menu to be able to get even close to a normal picture is that what every one else is having problems with ? thanks
post #2796 of 2894 Old 12-31-2007, 10:44 AM

I just contacted the Sanyo service center due to the random green tint issue on my 30744. The guy I talked too said they would repair it under warranty, asked for my serial number, and said that they would call me back and tell me which service center to haul it too. I know it's heavy, and those stairs are gonna kill my back, but hey, the fact that they're gonna take care of it, I'm pleased! Didn't even ask me for purchase information which would have been a dog for me to look up! Thanks Sanyo!
post #2797 of 2894 Old 01-16-2008, 10:35 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread but could someone please lend me the service manual for the HT30746 model? I really need it, thanks.
post #2798 of 2894 Old 01-28-2008, 01:27 PM

Looks like I don't have to scroll through 90+ pages after all. I have had the same green tint issue as well as a few others with my HT32744 since almost day one. I can tweak the case of the TV and sometimes get it back to working. I bought a Repair Master warranty online after purchasing it and am very glad. This TV sucks! Horrible sound, the analog coaxial signal doesn't work although I only figured that out when I actually tried to use it just for testing purposes to find the green problem. I had a guy come out and "repair" it once a few years ago and then it started happening about 6 months later and have been dealing with it and the warranty ever since. Just got told that they will issue a "replacement" for it that is equal to what it is. My biggest question is, "Can it be another brand?" There seems to be tons of problems with all Sanyo tube TV's. The repair guy that came out the last time that issued the request for a replacement said there was no way he could fix the problem without putting major changes to the flimsy case it's in. The board don't have enough support and sag causing the problem, which explains why I could tweak the case to get it to work sometimes.

Hurry up and slow down.
post #2799 of 2894 Old 02-06-2008, 10:56 AM

I am experiencing an audio issue with my HT30744, one that has been described by others, where it sounds like wind in a microphone and you jiggle the cables plugged into the tuner a bit and it goes away or gets worse. I've actually had my picture go black on me too.

I contacted Harvey ("Hi, is this Harvey? I got your name from the AVS forum... says Harvey") and got a totally different person than what you guys have been decribing. He was no help at all and basically left me with the option to take it to a service repair shop. And the only one he could suggest was an hour away from me. I live in a very populated area (1.5 million +).

I'm trying to control myself from not ranting too much but I am really pissed off. I bought this set after reading the many great stories about it on this forum and the set is not even 3 years old. The set has not moved since I
installed it so it hasn't been dropped or mishandled.

Anyway, what I could use from people here is a possible solution to this problem, one in which I can fix myself.

For what it's worth, Harvey said he has been given the go ahead to fix sets with the green tint issue, but there hasn't been enough people experiencing the audio problem that I have, so he will not cover this under warranty. He didn't even offer to look into it or have any educated guess to the problem.

It seems to me that if the tuner board doesn't have enough support and sags causing the green tint issue, then sagging could also cause wires to cross giving audio distortion too.

Has anyone else had audio problems like this?

EDIT: Apparently cleaning the contacts can help... Can anyone tell me how to discharge the picture tube.
post #2800 of 2894 Old 02-08-2008, 11:47 AM

Does anyone still have the info on the QAM kit to enable the QAM tuner on the HT32744? I can't get it from Sanyo anymore (they told me I was out of luck) and now my cable company finally has some stations I could get if I could enable the QAM tuner. Any help would be appreciated!
post #2801 of 2894 Old 02-14-2008, 11:25 AM

Hello everyone and thanks for the great posts.

My set goes dark periodically. One poster suggested a tap on the cabinet above the A/V connections, and that does indeed restore the picture ... until recently. Now the screen is dark more often, and the trick doesn't always work. I checked IC711 as suggested by one poster, but that one seems to be soldered solidly. I don't see obvious bad solder joints.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the problem?

MANY THANKS!
post #2802 of 2894 Old 02-14-2008, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I remember reading about corrosion problems on the tuner board on this set. Search this thread for "clean" or "contacts".
post #2803 of 2894 Old 02-19-2008, 03:41 AM

I can't believe this thread is still getting replies. My 30 inch is still going strong. Although in a way I wish it would die so I could have an excuse to get a real TV. Anyone interested in buying it?
post #2804 of 2894 Old 02-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackwaterStout View Post

I can't believe this thread is still getting replies. My 30 inch is still going strong. Although in a way I wish it would die so I could have an excuse to get a real TV. Anyone interested in buying it?

My 32 inch has never given me a problem from day one.

Except for the poor speakers, which haven't been used for a couple of years.

I read through this thread and its predecessor a few years ago and crossed my fingers that I didn't have the problems that some have had.

This tv has been great.

Whenever I get the hankerin' to buy a new set, I see inferior pictures or extravagent prices.

But I don't think I will be able to hold out much longer. Cheap LCD's are looking decent. Plus I want something new and big.
post #2805 of 2894 Old 03-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I agree with the quality of this TV...i have had it for almost 4 years now...I too am pondering an upgrade to a 42" 1080p LCD. One issue that just came up recently is the lack of HDCP support. I have just recently attempted using the HDMI for use with somthing other than my HTPC (using DVI-HDMI). This has been rock solid for 720p use, but recently I have attempted using an upconverting DVD player I have (HDMI) as well as an AppleTV. Both are having issues getting the HDCP working. The ATV gives a very clear message that my device doesn't support HDCP. Also the DVD player never syncs, & gets the symptoms the DVD manual states will happen if the monitor doesn't support HDCP.

Is there anybody out there seeing the HDCP issues I am? I haven't done a full on trouble shooting effort, but wondering if I missed anything obvious.
post #2806 of 2894 Old 03-07-2008, 12:45 PM

FYI -

I just phoned Harvey with Sanyo (1.800.877.5036 x1700) using the info from previous posts on this thread. He told me they would repair the 'green image' issue at no cost to me (presuming the issue is not with the picture tube). He forwarded me to a girl named Jennifer (didn't get her extension) and she looked up a service center in my area immediately. She indicated they would fax my information to the service center and I could take it in for repair ASAP.

I bought my set 3 years ago.

Thanks to all that posted this information on the thread!

/bc
post #2807 of 2894 Old 03-14-2008, 02:01 PM

I was able to fix my issue of sound static and picture loss with my HT30744. Not sure if this is related to the green tint issues that people have been experiencing.

I fixed it by either opening up the case and cleaning the dust out or solidifying the tuner card with more screws... because I did both.

Funny that Sanyo only used 2 out of 6 screws to hold the tuner card in.

I noticed this after taking the cover off... there are really 6 screw holes to hold the tuner card in. The other 4 holes are covered with the sticker that shows the L and R for all the plugs... if you gently push with a pencil (or some such object) on the sticker in back you will find indentations where the other screw holes are clovered, just put some more screws in to solidify the card. Mine is very solid now compared to before, the plugs don't move at all now.

I assume Sanyo didn't use 6 just because some of the holes are right where the L and R are on the sticker.
post #2808 of 2894 Old 04-23-2008, 11:41 PM

I think my analog tuner blew out. My screen goes dark when I set the tv to that input and I don't get any video or audio. Has this happened to anyone before?
post #2809 of 2894 Old 05-11-2008, 06:40 PM

Hey Guys,

I just got a green tint the other day on my Sanyo HT30744 set. I wanted to look at something, so I moved the TV out, and the screen gave off a green tint.

Some of the things I've done to "fix it" are:

Move the TV around, sliding it from side to side, unplug the TV and then plug it back in, and rock the TV set.

All of these "fixes" only last for a short period of time. Maybe 5-10 minutes. Am I doomed to spend more money on a new TV? I really don't want to do that right now.

I'm sure others have had such an issue, and can give me a hand. Thanks for the look and help guys!

post #2810 of 2894 Old 05-15-2008, 03:01 PM

Well I talked to Harvey today and he wasn't able to be as helpful to me as he's been to some of you. I told hime about my pincushion/bending problem in the top right corner of my set. He said that that was an issue that couldn't be fixed..

Then I asked him about fixing the digital tuner for Qam cable. He said that he could send me the disk but he didn't have the cable. He then said that I should ask one of my fellow AVS'ers for the cable.

So if anyone has either the service manual for the 32744 and/or the Qam enable cable I'd sure appreciate it. I'll even send the cable back to you. I just wanna try and make the best out of this tv finally. My goal is to turn it into a secondary htpc center in my computer room.
post #2811 of 2894 Old 05-16-2008, 03:55 AM

See the following post for the service manual

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...71#post4224971
post #2812 of 2894 Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim001 View Post

See the following post for the service manual

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...71#post4224971

I saw that too but its for the 30" widescreen model (30744), not the 32" fullscreen (32744). Thanks anyway though. I didn't think any still read this thread.
post #2813 of 2894 Old 05-16-2008, 02:33 PM

Afroteddy send me a PM with your Email addy and I'll send the HT32744 service manual.
Its about 5mb in pdf format.
Don't know anything about the cable.
post #2814 of 2894 Old 05-27-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroteddy View Post

Well I talked to Harvey today and he wasn't able to be as helpful to me as he's been to some of you. I told hime about my pincushion/bending problem in the top right corner of my set. He said that that was an issue that couldn't be fixed..

Then I asked him about fixing the digital tuner for Qam cable. He said that he could send me the disk but he didn't have the cable. He then said that I should ask one of my fellow AVS'ers for the cable.

So if anyone has either the service manual for the 32744 and/or the Qam enable cable I'd sure appreciate it. I'll even send the cable back to you. I just wanna try and make the best out of this tv finally. My goal is to turn it into a secondary htpc center in my computer room.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2624

A fellow named Jimdoo was the last reference I could find. He is still active here. Send him a PM.
post #2815 of 2894 Old 06-10-2008, 08:38 AM

My story ...
My HT32744 was bought around Feb 2005 from Walmart.
It started showing intermittent green about 4 weeks ago. I found this thread and contacted Harvey at Sanyo.
He was very helpful and faxed a repair authorization to a local repair shop. They did the repair in 2 days. They told me they had already done a few for these TVs and thus had the parts in stock.

Really a big thanks to Sanyo.

I plan to write to them to thank them. I hope a few of you do as well.
post #2816 of 2894 Old 08-25-2008, 10:13 AM

Hey, does anybody have ANY other contact (email?) info for Harvey at Sanyo (1.800.877.5036 x1700) from the previous posts??? I've been trying to get a hold of him since June. Nobody ever answers that extension. Everyone else that I explain the situation to has no knowledge that they are fixing out of warranty televisions. They've taken my info before but nobody calls me back. It's so frustrating and I would assume the longer this takes there's a chance they will no longer cover the issue.
post #2817 of 2894 Old 08-29-2008, 05:09 AM

Well, first the problem. I've had an HT32744 since the fall of 2004. In addition to the color/green tint problems, now the HD tuner has stopped getting signal. There is officially no signal either over the air (bunny-ears w/ amp) or over the Cox cable, which they say now has free HD content. Has anyone else had this issue with these sets? Is there a fix? Help....

I'm really mad at Sanyo. I spoke with "Harvey" over email and he said that, in spite of my have had the issue for a long time, Sanyo was no longer helping to fix these sets with the green tint and color bleeding issues. I said it would have been nice to have a recall, b/c I didn't find out about the ubiquitous nature of the issue until it was too late. I just thought that my set was having a one-off problem. Now, with no digital tuner, the thing is essentially a boat-anchor. So, I'm here to say that Sanyo products are trash, the company is trash and I'll never, ever buy anything Sanyo again!!

In the meantime, can anyone help me with the digital tuner? Am I just missing something obvious?? Thanks to anyone who still reads this thread!!

-Ryan
post #2818 of 2894 Old 09-12-2008, 06:45 PM

Well, I finally got to speak to Harvey...been trying since the end of June. Of course, he said that he was only allowed to extend the repairs until June 30th.

Was there ever a clear idea of what actually needs to be done to fix the green tint issue? Was it really as simple as cleaning contacts?
post #2819 of 2894 Old 10-10-2008, 03:49 AM

Hi all,
Just out of curiosity, how many folks Tv's are still working great. Mine is and it's 3 years old. I just wish it could lose some weight. LOL.

Magic

Easy Living :)
post #2820 of 2894 Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcv63 View Post

Hi all,
Just out of curiosity, how many folks Tv's are still working great. Mine is and it's 3 years old. I just wish it could lose some weight. LOL.

Magic

Mine is still working although I don't use it very often. I had one problem with it where the picture was very fuzzy with both the digital and analog tuner. I carried it to be repaired, the repair guy didn't find anything wrong with it, I brought it back home and it has worked well every since. I have no idea what the problem was or if it will come back. My guess is that it will pop up again but hopefully it won't be for several more years. Even though I like this tv it is very big and bulky compared to lcd's so I wish that I had waited one more year and gotten an lcd instead.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page