Official Sanyo HT32744/HT30744 thread - Page 96 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2851 of 2894 Old 01-30-2010, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmmm, just checked it with my E* Vip622 via component and 720P works fine with it, although it still upconverts 720P to 1080i.

It must have been an issue with the Comcrap Motorola boxen's 720P output back in the days that they were my MSO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2894 Old 02-03-2010, 05:46 PM

I get the green screen thing until it warms up. Any way to fix it?

Also, If I run 720 or 1080 on by brighthouse hd box, it's squished funny. I have to use my Sanyo remote to switch from normal to letterbox on several channels. If I run 480 only it's all automatic. Is there a fix here as well?

Thanks!
post #2853 of 2894 Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 PM

I too had the same problem where my HT30744 TV would lose its color. My mom's HT32744 would have the same problem too. They both are refurbished models bought at Value City Dept store. If I gave the cabinet a good hit it would mostly fix the color, but it could also make the picture go fuzzy too, a clear sign of just a loose connection somewhere.

So after my wife telling me she was sick of this almost 2 year problem and she was going to buy a new TV on the weekend, I figured I had nothing to lose. So I took the rear cabinet off, unseated the card mounted on the picture tube, applied a little dielectric grease on the connector on the card and reseated the card, removed, re-greased and reattached the card. I have had no problem with either my or mom's which I did the same to since! This is an easy fix that anyone can do. The hardest part is moving the TV and reassembling the rear cabinet. Do not pull the cabinet back out more than you have to, to ease the reassembly of it.
post #2854 of 2894 Old 06-01-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abutcher View Post

I too had the same problem where my HT30744 TV would lose its color. My mom's HT32744 would have the same problem too. They both are refurbished models bought at Value City Dept store. If I gave the cabinet a good hit it would mostly fix the color, but it could also make the picture go fuzzy too, a clear sign of just a loose connection somewhere.

So after my wife telling me she was sick of this almost 2 year problem and she was going to buy a new TV on the weekend, I figured I had nothing to lose. So I took the rear cabinet off, unseated the card mounted on the picture tube, applied a little dielectric grease on the connector on the card and reseated the card, removed, re-greased and reattached the card. I have had no problem with either my or mom's which I did the same to since! This is an easy fix that anyone can do. The hardest part is moving the TV and reassembling the rear cabinet. Do not pull the cabinet back out more than you have to, to ease the reassembly of it.

I just started losing the red color every once in a while. I'm going to try this. I'll let you know. Thanks for the tip
post #2855 of 2894 Old 08-17-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Was just given a HT32744 as a freebie. Had heard about some random color loss from previous owner which I assumed was just a cabling issue. Haven't seen it happen yet myself. I too might consider the cleaning/reseating suggested in March and June 2010... Thankful to AVS for continuing to provide this very helpful information.

Now if I could only find a cheap Sanyo FXYA remote (or universal remote/codes) that would let me properly access/control the onscreen menu and the advanced features like Picture and Picture... I'd be a very happy HT32744 owner.
post #2856 of 2894 Old 08-18-2010, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I bought the 27" version (no HDMI) about 4 years ago. No problems so far (knock on wood).

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #2857 of 2894 Old 08-18-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

I bought the 27" version (no HDMI) about 4 years ago. No problems so far (knock on wood).

Glad to hear it. Your model didn't use a Sanyo FXYA Remote did it? Still looking for a remote/codes that will let me navigate the menu/features.

My Sony AVR-2100 seems to allow me to access much of the HT32744's features but I can't seem to navigate the on screen menu properly. I can go between the antenna tab and Channel Search but navigating to other tabs or scrolling up or down the screen (and selecting items) seems blocked.

Anyone with ideas on what other options I might try? Got a Sony WebTV Keyboard (and RCA UltimateTV DVR Keyboard) I'm going to try and use (they both have TV Remote functions). I might also try another Universal Remote.
post #2858 of 2894 Old 08-20-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
On my remote in very small numbers, it has: "GXAB". I bet it could control your model, also. I got my set on clearance from Wally-World; you could check a few stores to see if they have any leftover Sanyo remotes laying back in stock in somewhere.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #2859 of 2894 Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 PM

Hello folks, just joined here although I read this and other threads before I bought my Sanyo HT30744 in Jan 06. Hard to believe I am closing in on 5 years with that beast but haven't had any problems that a solid smack didn't fix *LOL*

Anyway, the reason I finally signed up and am posting is I have been watching mostly OTA HD signals and had Canadian satellite TV using composite cables and switched over to the local cable company and they have given me a Pace HD-DVR to use. I went out and bought an 1m long HDMI cable and when I power up the tv, the video and audio are great but as soon as I change the channel on the box, the new channel loses audio. If I switch back to the previous channel the audio is gone from there too. The only way that seems to fix the problem is to shut off the tv and then power back up. Is this an issue with the tv, the hdmi input/cable or the cable box itself? Any solutions would be most welcomed.
post #2860 of 2894 Old 09-10-2010, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

"I feel that I've missed my chance on this, but does anybody know how to get a cable to enable the qam tuner on this beast?"

Call Sanyo. The original models had a built-in tuner, but they dropped it with a promise to install it if you need it. I think that promise morphed into "we'll send you the conversion kit."
post #2861 of 2894 Old 09-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

@andrew8468 said "The only way that seems to fix the [no sound] problem is to shut off the tv and then power back up. Is this an issue with the tv, the hdmi input/cable or the cable box itself?"

It's the HDMI port. Mine does the same thing and I have DirecTV. Sometimes it powers up with sound, sometimes not. Sometimes I have to power-cycle several times.
post #2862 of 2894 Old 09-12-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post

@andrew8468 said "The only way that seems to fix the [no sound] problem is to shut off the tv and then power back up. Is this an issue with the tv, the hdmi input/cable or the cable box itself?"

It's the HDMI port. Mine does the same thing and I have DirecTV. Sometimes it powers up with sound, sometimes not. Sometimes I have to power-cycle several times.

Is there a fix for this or should I forget HDMI altogether and stick with component cables?
post #2863 of 2894 Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew8468 View Post

Is there a fix for this or should I forget HDMI altogether and stick with component cables?

I am not aware of a fix other than a repairman. When you power up, does your screen tell you to use component cables? Mine has a red message telling me that. I don't even know what it means. Is it saying use all component cables or just sound?
post #2864 of 2894 Old 09-13-2010, 04:44 AM

Hi, my parents have the HT32744 and today it suddenly started to display some messed up color. I really don't know how to describe it, so I took some pictures. As you can see, the picture looks muddy and dark, it's like the backlight is dimmed on an LCD. And I'm already taking the pictures with the contrast and brightness turned all the way up.

Anyone know what's the cause of it or if it's fixable? I can do simple soldering if it's just replacing something simple. Thanks.
post #2865 of 2894 Old 09-13-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Not sure what you'll need to do but I have some questions anyway.

Just for clarity... what ,if anything, have you already checked/tested to narrow down this issue?

For example have you ruled out problems with your various input cables and/or the inputs themselves? Does the TV's display have this problem on all inputs or even no inputs (where there is no signal)?

Sounds like you already adjusted some of the TV's display settings... have you attempted a Factory Reset/Restore of the TV's settings? (I think this TV has that option right?) Just in case there are some funky options that might be giving you grief.

Good Luck. Hopefully this forum will be able to help resolve this issue.
post #2866 of 2894 Old 09-13-2010, 10:21 AM

I have tried the coaxial, RCA and component input, all of them are showing up like that. I also tried the reset button on the remote, is that the reset you're referring to? Thanks for the reply.
post #2867 of 2894 Old 09-13-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have a factory remote so I'm not exactly sure if your "reset" button actually performs a reset to factory default or not. When I was performing a remote code search for this TV on one of my remotes I got a prompt to rescan for channels and a restore factory default (I think).

If I had a factory remote (or one that gave me proper access to the On Screen Menu) I could tell you what you may have to do...

I assume a "slap" to the TV's casing (as discussed elsewhere in this thread) has not "restored" the TV either?

I've read earlier in this thread that there may be a board you can try and pull/reseat to otherwise "fix" what a "slap" might only temporarily resolve. If this is the same issue others have had with loss of certain color(s). Not sure if that is the same issue you have.
post #2868 of 2894 Old 09-14-2010, 04:24 AM

Thanks for the info. I tried slapping it today, it didn't work. I'll take it apart this weekend and reseat the board. Just making sure, you guys are talking about the board connected directly on the back of the tube right? I'm going to unplug the TV tonight and let the power drain for a few days.
post #2869 of 2894 Old 09-14-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdrifter View Post

Thanks for the info. I tried slapping it today, it didn't work. I'll take it apart this weekend and reseat the board. Just making sure, you guys are talking about the board connected directly on the back of the tube right? I'm going to unplug the TV tonight and let the power drain for a few days.

That is what I was thinking. Not sure it is going to fix your specific problem but if you're willing to try it... I'm not sure it can hurt to try. (Worst Case is the Parents get a much less heavy/oxy LCD or Plasma TV)

A very good idea letting the TV sit unplugged for 48 hours or more. Then it also wouldn't hurt to brush up on tips to avoid electrical/static shock. Insulate yourself from ground by standing on a non conductive surface like a block of wood. Discharge Static Electricity from youself before working on the inside of the TV. Avoid touching metal when possible, use insulated tools, etc.

Good Luck and if you have your camera handy I'm sure everyone wouldn't mind seeing photographs of the process and anything odd you might see inside.
post #2870 of 2894 Old 09-17-2010, 09:10 AM

Can't find a solution to this anywhere. Apologies if I post this to the wrong forum. My Sanyo HT30744 flashes a black screen annoyingly for over five to ten minutes before finally allowing the picture to stay on when the television is turned on. It seems that once the TV is "warmed up" it works great. We've had the television for years and just noticed that it has started this and it's getting progressively worse over the last six months or so. I can't seem to find anyone that has the same problem. Any help?
post #2871 of 2894 Old 09-17-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorrobcasey View Post

Can't find a solution to this anywhere. Apologies if I post this to the wrong forum. My Sanyo HT30744 flashes a black screen annoyingly for over five to ten minutes before finally allowing the picture to stay on when the television is turned on.

Besides the "warm up" seeming to fix this issue... what other troubleshooting have you tried? Is this problem on all your inputs or just some? (Bad Cables or Source?) Do you have unaffected audio while the screen blacks out? (Narrows it down a little)

Have you tried turning the TV on via Remote and Power Button? (Not sure what difference that makes. But the results might be interesting if different.) Does "slapping" the TV do anything? (As it supposedly fixes other "known" issues with this TV.)

Do you have a way to test the power receptacle you are plugging into? (A multi-meter to check voltage and continuity) You should probably see voltage around 114 to 126 V (I've usually seen 125V on outlets I've tested). Anything significantly higher or lower might be an issue. Let us know if you get any "odd" readings.

Along that front have you tried switching outlets? A loose or bad contact (check for how much "wiggle" you have or if it falls out of the receptacle) might prevent the TV from drawing the power it needs to start up properly. If a different "good" outlet works then bypass,repair, or replace the "bad" receptacle.

Good Luck,
post #2872 of 2894 Old 10-14-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdrifter View Post

I asked a friend that knows a lot more about electronics to take a look at it for me. He adjusted the focus and said it was unresponsive. He also removed the PCB at the back of the tube and reinserted it for me, it didn't fix the problem. His guess is either this part (some kind of voltage regulator) or the tube is bad.

He also said it could be one of the signal processing boards, so I took pics of all of them. If anyone knows which one controls the color please let me know, I'll see if I can find a replacement and try that too. Thanks

post #2873 of 2894 Old 10-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew8468 View Post

That would probably solve it. I switched to ordinary RCA RGB plugs and it's OK now. Except it took me an hour to figure out that the video 1 input was dead. The brand/model TV set seems to have an extraordinary number of defects that show up after the warranty expires.
post #2874 of 2894 Old 11-30-2010, 01:32 PM

Well I am back and now it is a different issue in that the the ATSC tuner seems to be messed up although the NTSC is fine. I had 20-some channels logged into the memory. From the analog channels going up I see Ch 2 with the PSIP into. I am missing the second channel 2 I had. I get a D 03-1 and D 03-2. The I get 4 and 5 with PSIP then it goes to Video 1. If I go down from there, get 57 and 51 then back to analog. If I manually enter a channel number then I see more channels. With the PSIP I see 9, 17, 21, 23, 25 and 29. Without I see 8, 10, 12, 15, 19, 24, 30, 35, 47, 48, 50 and 51. Everything else seems fine. Is it time for me to make the upgrade to a flat panel with built-in tuners?
post #2875 of 2894 Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfish View Post

For all those who have a V5 set with the QAM tuner disabled. I contacted Sanyo Service and they sent me a cable and a cd and I was able to enable the QAM tuner using my PC. Just call Sanyo Service and ask for the QAM upgrade and they can help you out.

Sanyo is telling me they don't know what I am talking about. They can't even find my serial number in their database. Rather than fight that battle, does anyone have the cable and CD that enables the QAM tuner in the Sanyo HT32744? I would really like to get my hands on it.
post #2876 of 2894 Old 04-19-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post

Sanyo is telling me they don't know what I am talking about. They can't even find my serial number in their database. Rather than fight that battle, does anyone have the cable and CD that enables the QAM tuner in the Sanyo HT32744? I would really like to get my hands on it.

So just to clarify... you own a V5 (2005) model with a disabled QAM tuner?

You might want to give them another call back... You might not have registered your TV so it wouldn't be in "that" database... but they should have technical/troubleshooting support based on the Model.

Might just have been a case of CSR Roulette and you got Red instead of Black. Flip that coin again and see what happens.

If you don't find the hardware/software here... don't think of it like a battle with Sanyo... try and explain you wish to enable the tuner and that you need a cable/software to do it. If they aren't finding it... then ask to be transferred to another department that might deal with these Technical issues.

Good Luck
post #2877 of 2894 Old 04-19-2011, 03:35 PM

Hi,
My 7 year old Sanyo HD Tube TV may be nearing its service life...
The problem is that after warming up, the picture turns into glaucoma vision. The effect is intermittent and does not always happen. Banging the plastic case has no effect!
The service manual (linked on this thread) seems to provide a significant number of on screen technical adjustments...
May any of this help, or is time to move on and replace?

Thank You
post #2878 of 2894 Old 04-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post

So just to clarify... you own a V5 (2005) model with a disabled QAM tuner?

Yes.

Quote:

Might just have been a case of CSR Roulette and you got Red instead of Black.

Or worse. It's obviously an offshore support group. I called three times, got three different reps and three different line qualities, none of the six very good. Two of them insisted there were no QAM tuners before 2006. The box is definitely registered.

Another tried to send me through the canned routine to scan channels, but failed to tell me some very basic stuff like where I should set the Sanyo input. Actually, it was worse than that, she first asked me to get my remote, never mentioning that she wanted me to be in front of my TV. I don't want some know-nothing running me through dummy drills, I just want to know if the kit is still available and what equipment is needed on my end.

Quick question. I understood that the "kit" was a cable and a CD. Which connection on my PC is utilized to talk to the Sanyo? I frankly don't see any common plug/jack.

Thanks for the quick response. I would have answered sooner but my SuddenLink (more like SuddenCrash) has been down for eleven hours.
post #2879 of 2894 Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 PM

Wow! My tv screen went green during the Superbowl right before the halftime show. I know this is a common issue but I don't know what the fix is. Is the tv even worth getting serviced? I think it's the best looking hdtv set that I own even now but now that it's showing all it's common symptoms I'm not sure if I should continue to hold on to it. Then again, my budget won't allow me to get a 32" tv that looks as good as this one does.
post #2880 of 2894 Old 02-05-2012, 08:23 PM

Can you seen the green tint in my picture? Also my picture slants up to the right. I have always had this problem but I'd still love to fix it.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page