Comments on 30HF84 I Just received from Amazon. - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #361 of 406 Old 11-23-2004, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's good Grenedy, glad you don't have any issues.Looks like you got one of the "Good" sets;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 406 Old 11-23-2004, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Many others got the "good" Toshibas too. Hard to tell what the true defect rate is, because people who troll this board are more likely to be extremely picky, and a 1/4 inch deflection somewhere might cause them to scream while the average Joe Consumer doesn't even notice.
post #363 of 406 Old 11-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

UPDATE!

Day 37 of this nightmare TV ownership:

My 30HF84 is still in service with multiple issues. I have only had a total of 5 days of the TV actually in my home. This sucks... Never again...
post #364 of 406 Old 11-23-2004, 11:20 PM

CrocHunter

I agree Sony makes good CRT but you have to get their top of the line models to get a quality product, still some of their high end models have problems, so like someone else said why pay more and still have problems. BTW my Toshiba in HD and DVD mode is not grainy at all, I never judge a TV set by viewing regular satellite signal.

GFollano
post #365 of 406 Old 11-24-2004, 05:33 AM

Well I would like to let everyone know how my situation ended up. To make a very long story short after 10 long weeks I have a 90% working 30HF84 now! I documented over 50 calls to Toshiba withing that time period and I got tons of run around from them. I always got the 3-5 business days for a reply which is 2-3 weeks in Toshiba time. I talked to three different supervisors adn it seemed like it always took a supervisor to find out anything. My TV was in the shop for about a month and was deemed not repairable by the shop. It had horrible focus, the geometry and convergence was way off in the center causing rippling and door frames to be uneven, and it had the horizontal shift on 1080i content. When the repair shop gave it back to me it was even worse then before on the stated problems. They replaced two different boards. My build date was June 2004 so I had one of the first off of the line. Once I finally got Toshiba to send me a new one it came to me all busted up by the freight company so I refused it. It took over 3 weeks for them to get me another one and this one has an October 2004 build date. I ran it through all my tests and I found the geometry to be acceptable for an HD tube and the only place where it is slightly off is in the lower right corner. The 4:3 bars look fairly straight but have a very slighty bend to the right. Convergence is dead on and the focus is twice as good as my other set. The focus is good all through out the screen now. The reds don't sparkle like on my bad set and the PQ is not grainy like so people here have noted on any content. I do still get the 1080i horizontal glitch during the first 10 minutes or so but it isn't near as bad as the other set that did it every minute. I am going to see if the horizontal glitch on 1080i gets worse here in the next week and if it doesn't I will be happy with this set. No doubt the Sony 30HS420 is huge and ugly and in my opinion I don't think it has an overall better PQ then this Toshiba 30HF84 I have with the October 2004 build date. I don't think I will every buy a Toshiba online again because their customer service and operations is the slowest and worse I have ever seen and it cause me to grow grey hairs even though I am in my 20's! I wish luck to everyone else with a bad set and my advice is to just keep going at them and always speak to supervisors if you actually want to eventually get something done. Toshiba is in no hurry to get you a working set so just be prepared to go up and down the corporate ladder of operations with them.
post #366 of 406 Old 11-24-2004, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

hurtz777

At any time did they offer any type of compensation or your money back?
post #367 of 406 Old 11-24-2004, 10:12 AM

Yes in fact the Sony has a much better picture, much better focus especially around the corners too, i have compared the 2 and it's no contest.

I tested with the star wrs movie attack of the clones and the sony by far had the sharpest picture.

Please keep in mind that the xbr960 and xs955 have the fine pitch picture tube, but you can only notice the difference on HD material not dvd material.

On dvd's there was no picture differences between the 3 sony's the hs420 and the xbr960 and xs955.

Frankly the problem sets of the sony's tend to lean to the xbr960 and xs 955, not the hs420 series.

Also Hurtz777, if you have problems in 1080i, how would you put up with it if you are going to watch HD later on, does'nt this bug you?HD should be crystal clear and no deffects.
post #368 of 406 Old 11-24-2004, 10:24 AM

Chuck,

Toshiba told me that if this replacement set is bad they will then and only then either refund my money or ship me a 30HFX84. I don't know if they will refund me for the price of the TV and not the freight I paid or if they will refund me for the total price including freight. Since there is like a $180 difference that would be one of my concerns.

Croc,

I am going to see if this 1080i glitch starts to happen more and more. If it does I am going to have them pick it up and get a refund. More testing this weekend. BTW the Sony 30HS420 does support 720P input doesn't it?
If I do just get a refund I will most definitely get the Sony even though it is bigger and bulkier.
post #369 of 406 Old 11-24-2004, 12:35 PM

Yes it does, the Sony supports 720p.

You'll be much happier with the Sony, it weighs more and the case does'nt look so hot, but the picture is well worth these nit picks.

The panasonic is good too, but it does'nt support 720p, still a good set, i just liked the sony a little better, because the picture was slightly sharper, and the colors and white levels were more better.
post #370 of 406 Old 11-24-2004, 08:57 PM

I assume by the "horizontal glitch" you mean you get a "jump" to the left in component input in 1080i on a still picture. I have that on my 30hf83 but I have never noticed it on any sort of moving picture. For example, I have never seen it with Leno, even when he is just standing talking. I doubt you will find it a problem, but some people did apparently get sets where it was worse.
post #371 of 406 Old 11-26-2004, 06:37 AM

Well I have decided I am not going to keep this new Toshiba POS 30HF84 that I got for a replacement. The 1080i horizontal glitch every minute or so is getting very annoying and it is even worse then my last set now. It completely distracts you from HD viewing. As I have stated before there is also a slight bow in the center of the screen to the right. I watch alot of cotnent in 4:3 with the jail bars and it is very noticable., but my main reason for not wanting the replacement is the horizontal glitch with a 1080i source. It does it with component and HDMI inputs. and it is not acceptable by any means for a $900~ HDTV. I just called Toshiba and told them that I want to just get a refundsince the supervisor told me that was the next step in this crappy 2.5 month ordeal. The rep told me they will forward the information to a supervisor and the supervisor will get back with me. I am going to go buy a Sony 30HS420 like I should have done in the first place and hope I can tell a better story. I know the Sony won't have the horizontal glitch and it should have decent geometry out of the box. I can put up with the uglier cabinet design when compared to the Toshiba. I guess the 32 lbs more that the Sony weighs over the Toshiba mamkes a difference in the quality of tube and power supplies that are put into the Sony. Thanks alot Toshiba for deciding to cheap out on your HDTVs the one year I decide to get one and by giving me all the run around a company can give a customer! I will probably never buy a Toshiba product again after this hell that they put me through. If only they could make a HD tube like their awesome RP HDTV's!
post #372 of 406 Old 11-26-2004, 09:14 AM

Good luck with your Sony once you get it, beleive me it may way more, but the picture quality is well worth it, and it is very good right out of the box.
post #373 of 406 Old 11-26-2004, 06:30 PM

Well I went and bought the last Sony 30HS420 at Ultimate Electronics for $899 on sale. I got it all connected and I ran it through my standard geometry and color tests. Geometry is near perfect on the set and the PQ is at least 50% better then the 2 toshiba 30HF84's I have had. The colors or more vivid and the image appears very accurate and stable. Xbox has never looked so good as well as OTA HDTV. I can finally say no more to annoying horizontal glitching in 1080i mode as well as an overall crappier washed out image the Toshiba was giving when compared to the 30HS420. The case is definitely not as styling as the Toshiba but it is what is inside that counts. There is no doubt in my mind that Sony still is the leader of CRT PQ and its opponent Toshiba has fallen way behind with this years crappy models. Now I am hoping I can get the refund soon from Toshiba and they can have their wanna-be HDTV piece of Made In Thailand with crappy cheap parts thing they call an HDTV. By the way my Panasonic S97 via 1080i on the 30HS420 is breath taking in every way that the Toshiba wasn't. Thumbs up to Sony for a great product at a great price, and two thumbs down to Toshiba for making a lemon in this years line of HDTV's. Is there anyone else out there that has compared 30HF84 and 30HS420? I would be curious to see what they found, and if they say the Toshiba even comes close to matching the Sonmy then they have to be nuts!
post #374 of 406 Old 11-26-2004, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hurtz777
Well I went and bought the last Sony 30HS420 at Ultimate Electronics for $899 on sale. I got it all connected and I ran it through my standard geometry and color tests. Geometry is near perfect on the set and the PQ is at least 50% better then the 2 toshiba 30HF84's I have had. The colors or more vivid and the image appears very accurate and stable. Is there anyone else out there that has compared 30HF84 and 30HS420? I would be curious to see what they found, and if they say the Toshiba even comes close to matching the Sonmy then they have to be nuts!
I'm really glad to hear that there's more "resolutions" to the Toshiba problem. I wish I could find a replacement for mine (or more accurately, finally decide on a replacement). I've considered the 30HS420, but I'm leaning more towards the 27" or 32" 4:3 models instead. I really really love the PQ of the Sony's, I just don't love the price.

I'm also considering the Syntax (Olevia) 27" or 30" LCD HDTV which are amazingly cheap right now. I would love real 720p, inputs galore and lightweight set. The PQ is supposed to be good for an LCD.

The deals keep rolling in on LCD's while stupid Circuit City RAISED the price on the Panasonic 32" HD I was going to buy. Unbelievable.
post #375 of 406 Old 11-27-2004, 04:52 AM

As I indicated earlier, I've been looking closely at the Sony KV-30HS420 and the Toshiba 30HFX84 side-by-side. Clearly, the Sony has an edge in picture sharpness and also over the 26 and 34-inch Toshibas. However, as good as all the Sony CRTs looked, the JVC 30 and 34-inch sets looked slightly better and were 14% less expensive at a local dealer's.
post #376 of 406 Old 11-27-2004, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have noticed that the picture quality on SD is a little better when you bring it directly in through the RF (ANT) input. I have split my cable so I can have a coax going into ANT and also one going into the Comcast HD cable box.

HD through Comcast looks great on my 30HF84, as does DVD. I only have some minor bending toward the bottom of the 4:3 bars, but like I said earlier, who wants to watch stuff in 4:3 when the Tosh does a great job with TheaterWide 1 setting!

Perhaps I am not seeing all the problems you guys are complaining about, and I guess at this point either I dont have them, or I dont see them if I do have them!
post #377 of 406 Old 11-27-2004, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Still waiting for Toshiba to get back with me...
On the bright side of things the repair shop owner is on my side with these problems!
post #378 of 406 Old 12-27-2004, 03:12 PM

I had a 30HF84 with geometry problems so I asked for a replcacement but the 2nd set was even worst, so I decide to get the 30HFX84 Cinema Series instead and the picture is way way better and the geometry is perfect. I aslo noticed the HFX series have a higher contrast and brightness, I have to lower my settings.

At first I didn't like the black framing but when playing DVD movies the 2 black bars blend in much better within the black frame, with the HF model they would stand out from the silver frame.

GFollano
post #379 of 406 Old 12-27-2004, 03:20 PM

Is it me or that red light on the power button is way too bright.
Honestely when I decided to go for the 30HFX84 cinema series I was sure I was was getting the same exact cabinet as the 34HFX84 model with a cleaner
look with a small glass strip between the speakers and the red light was less noticeable, but when I got my 30HFX84 the cabinet was exactly like the HF
series except it had the black frame.

GFollano
post #380 of 406 Old 12-30-2004, 10:09 AM

Gents,
I've followed this board, and I'm still thinking of taking the plunge on this set. I went to the local Best Buy, told them a bit about some issues I've heard of, and asked if I can check serial numbers on the box before I take possesion of the TV. They said sure. Can anyone who has had a [relatively] positive experience with the 30hf84 post their Serial Number prefix? I've read here that the July/9408Cxxx series seems to be a bad batch. What came later that's good?
Thanks.
post #381 of 406 Old 12-30-2004, 11:18 AM

Any word on quality of Sets with an August Build, Serial prefix 6808Axxxx?
post #382 of 406 Old 12-30-2004, 12:37 PM

Only thing I know is that people posting with August or later build dates seem to have had fewer problems.

There are many Tosh owners who take isssue with the claim that SONY crts have a better PQ. I have not seen it on the SONY sets I have seen in comparison to my 30hf83. A lot of this SONY talk is bs, IMO.
post #383 of 406 Old 12-30-2004, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I think these TVs are hit and miss. I've had two 30HFX84s that had problems. Both had an August build date. Geometry was very good on the first, but it had a defect on the component inputs. The second one looked pretty bad out of the box, with poor geometry and convergence. And again, a problem with the component inputs. It's a quality control issue at the plant in Thailand, I assume. Letting defective TVs out the door isn't good business. Toshiba should know better, but maybe CRT TVs aren't a big priority to them anymore.

Anyway, I have a Sony 30HS420 on the way. Two bad sets from Toshiba was enough for me to say screw them. I've hardly seen any complaints about the Sony here or anywhere else on the Web.
post #384 of 406 Old 12-30-2004, 03:19 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Rain
I've hardly seen any complaints about the Sony here or anywhere else on the Web.
Huh? I've seen tons of complaints about Sony problems here. The only brand that seems to NOT have complaints or problems is JVC, but not too many people here buy this brand.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #385 of 406 Old 12-30-2004, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyWalters
Huh? I've seen tons of complaints about Sony problems here. The only brand that seems to NOT have complaints or problems is JVC, but not too many people here buy this brand.
I was referring to the 30HS420 model. Although there is no perfect CRT TV of any brand, these sets seem to be problem free for most. The list of complaints seem rather small compared to the Toshiba 30HF84.
post #386 of 406 Old 12-31-2004, 11:16 AM

POWERLINES!

Here is what I have found out...
I had to move furniture around... and TV was moved as well. After that my geometry got SOOOOOO bad you can't even believe (like those original descriptions at the beginning of this thread) (in order to partially fix it I had to put "Tilt" at -10 from +2 from before). I was very upset thinking that I have damaged my TV.. though through a bit of tests and some brainstorming on possible causes I figured out that on the other side of the wall where TV now stands I have a power switches for the whole appartment (those high voltage lines for Kitchen, etc) in addition to normal power lines for light switches.
Now I moved TV into the center of the room.. and geometry is fine again... Holy.. I can't believe that this TV is so freaking sensitive... Now I need to have a huge gap between the wall and TV... :(

Edit: I have 34HF84
post #387 of 406 Old 01-02-2005, 04:58 PM

Got a November build at a second Best Buy. The serials are printed on a sticker on the box and they will check it in back before you buy, a big plus in getting from a brick and mortar [though I kind of hate best buy]. Seems most problems discussed here are absent. Both Best Buy stores I went to were demoing July build date models, and I see all the problems many have discussed here. I really like the set so far, but am still a bit wary that Toshiba support has been so lousy for so many. BB offered a 4 year exenda-warranty for 200$, tempting considering, but I didn't take it. Thats a lot of DVDs. First stop, Avia disc.
post #388 of 406 Old 01-02-2005, 07:56 PM

I just had my 34HF84 from BestBuy today. I am no expert, but it looks as good or better than the Sony's that most think are the bomb. Seems to handle the stretch and upscale of standard signals better in my opinion. I am running the HD with my 811 Dish HD receiver, currently going through the component inputs.

It does however have a defect. The composit video input on input 1 is does not work. The S-video on that one works fine, but no picture using the composite. Will wait and see how well BestBuy/Toshia handles it.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what would be a good DVD player to compliment it? Either component, or maybe HDMI. Depends on which gives me the best combination of picture for HD sat and DVD.

Well, here we go,

maverick

maverick@infionline.net
post #389 of 406 Old 01-03-2005, 04:41 AM

Forgot to add in my previous post, build date of OCT 2004.

Did i make a mistake in buying this set?

maverick

maverick@infionline.net
post #390 of 406 Old 01-03-2005, 06:16 AM

zstig,

Check and make sure it doesn't have the horizontal glitch on HD content through the component inputs. I have had a June 2004 build set and a November 2004 set and they both did it. I still don't think Toshiba has cleaned all the bugs out on these horrible HF84 sets. I am still waiting to get my refund check and we are at about 4 weeks now and counting. I would highly recommend taking the POS back and getting either the Sony HS420 sets or the XS955 sets depending on budget. I and many others have confirmed the Sonys really do have a better more focused PQ and have less quality control problems. The Sony 30HS420 I had was darn near perfect in every spect. I just took it back for a bigger 46" Sony RP 46Wt520 and have never looked back to those small tube HDTVs. I like the RP HDTVs because you can actually tweak the geometry and they aren't prone to all this earth's magentical pull junk causing color smearing etc.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page