Comments on 30HF84 I Just received from Amazon. - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #391 of 406 Old 01-03-2005, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, Best Buy is going to swap it for another one...we will see what happens then.

I see no noticeable issues with the picture. I used one of the component inputs fo my HD receiver, looks good to me. I have not yet tried sending any DVD to it...I have an old DVD player, not progressive. I might try out some combinations before this one goes.

What is a good way or method to test all of this...I am a newbie.

Well, maybe it will work out.

maverick

maverick@infionline.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 406 Old 01-29-2005, 02:08 AM

Purchased from Best Buy about 10 days ago-Picked out this model becouse it was the only decent sized HD set that would fit in our ent. center. I stumbled across this forum while looking for a way to set the 4x3 gray bars to black...After reading all the issues here,I did notice that my set also has the same verticle bend that has been discussed here before. I do believe that I may have one of the DEFECT sets from the production run in question. When first lit up,it was hooked up to a Cablevision box from Sony.The analog channels looked only slightly better than the RCA 27" from 1991 that I was using before.(that set still has a very well balanced pix-and the comb filter makes S-video inputs look pretty good) I did notice the bend very early on-but considered it a minor issue at the time. I do like the option of being able to set the different aspect ratio settings-but this is only avail when input is not HD. Just yesterday Cablevision came by to update our box to RX HD(they gave us a Sci-Atl 4200HD). I was very impressed with what I saw on the HD channels! It did look very good-but The Bend was noticable. The SD digital channels seem to have more dropouts than b4-but that is a cable box issue not relavlent to this thread. I am just about ready to give BB a call to see if I can get The Bend issue resolved-other than that -I am happy with the set.

"Is it plugged in? Do you know where the power switch is?"
post #393 of 406 Old 05-05-2005, 12:25 AM

So how are all the 30HF84s that were purchased from Amazon doing today? Do you still own it or did you sold it already?

I feel kind of bad for not finding this thread earlier. Before arthurking even posted his first post in this thread, I already knew that it was made by Orion. But I kept this as a secret, unfortunately. If Arthur knew at first that the Toshiba 30HF84 was not made by Toshiba but Orion, I wonder if he would change his mind on buying it?

Walter Chan
post #394 of 406 Old 05-06-2005, 02:24 PM

I have no problems with my 30HF84. Fantastic set for the $$$. The only minor adjustment I did do was to adjust the overscan a bit. Other than that, fantastic set.

Well worth the money and it looks sharp too. Love the look of the speakers on the bottom.
post #395 of 406 Old 05-06-2005, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elite09
I have no problems with my 30HF84. Fantastic set for the $$$. The only minor adjustment I did do was to adjust the overscan a bit. Other than that, fantastic set.

Well worth the money and it looks sharp too. Love the look of the speakers on the bottom.
------------------------------------------------------

Sorry folks, but I checked out all the Toshiba HD sets before I made my choice. I thought they looked pretty good at first, but that was before I saw them side-by-side with the Sonys, JVCs and Panasonics. I had access to the picture menu on all of them, but no matter how well I tweaked them, I couldn't make the Toshibas' HD pictures look as sharp or bright as those of these other brands. I finally bought a JVC 30-inch, the AV-30W585, as it looked the best and cost less than any of them.

After 6 months, I'm even more convinced I picked the right one. Its screen expansion mode of an SD picture, to full widescreen, is excellent. I receive SD programs on local HD channels, when they aren't carrying an HD program. These digital SD programs carry 525 lines of resolution and my SD HDD/DVD recorder can play them back at 500 lines of res. When they are expanded to widescreen, there's still about 400 lines of res showing on the JVC and it looks very good for SD. The ability of this JVC HD set to show SD programs at their best, is an important advantage. I didn't see SD display performance that was as good on any of the other brands I mentioned and the Toshiba HD models handled it less well than the others.

I did buy an SD Toshiba TV a year ago, the 24AF44, as an editing monitor for my DV videos. It had the best-looking picture of any SD set I saw and I still highly recommend it for editing and for TV viewing in a small room.
post #396 of 406 Old 05-07-2005, 11:43 AM

I can easily believe that. Prior to calibration, the PQ on my 34HF84 was soft. Much sharper after calibration. Probably biggest improvement. I don't know if calibration is cost effective on a 30 inch TV.
post #397 of 406 Old 05-09-2005, 12:47 PM

I had a problem with the middle of the picture shifting and then back to center at the top, looked like this:

|_______________________________|
|_______________________________|
\\ _______________________________\\
|________________________________|

I had to take it to a warranty repair center and the problem is fixed. Here is what they did:

Explanation of service performed: Removed QR647 and C659 and change R438 as per bullitin. Replaced Part No's AE002130 C659 (cap) and AE005419 R438 (resistor)

If anyone is having a problem like this it appears Toshiba recognizes this and will fix it.
post #398 of 406 Old 05-09-2005, 03:35 PM

qr647 is a transistor-current problem
post #399 of 406 Old 05-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waltchan
So how are all the 30HF84s that were purchased from Amazon doing today? Do you still own it or did you sold it already?

I feel kind of bad for not finding this thread earlier. Before arthurking even posted his first post in this thread, I already knew that it was made by Orion. But I kept this as a secret, unfortunately. If Arthur knew at first that the Toshiba 30HF84 was not made by Toshiba but Orion, I wonder if he would change his mind on buying it?

Walter Chan
Toshiba finally settled and gave me my money back. Ended up picking up a Monivision.
post #400 of 406 Old 08-17-2005, 01:32 PM

Liked: 14
I am very tired of all the Philips-bashing that goes on in this forum, especially by Sony supporters. In reality, the only Sonys that look better than Philips HDTV tubes are the high-end units for twice the price (at least).
post #401 of 406 Old 08-17-2005, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're referring to the Philips 8402 line then you're sadly mistaken. Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic blow that TV away in PQ.
post #402 of 406 Old 08-18-2005, 12:34 AM

Agreed, i owned the set to, when i bought it at cosco and returned it due to the lack luster PQ.

It does'nt hold a candle to a sony or panasonic.
post #403 of 406 Old 08-18-2005, 06:06 AM

I got a Tosh 30HF84 this summer, and after some tweaks in the service menu (yes, I did right down the factory settings first), the picture is great!! SD cable is good (much improved from factory settings), DVDs are great, and my PS2 games have never looked better......I had to pick up my jaw off of the floor after seeing the enhanced detail in Gran Turismo 4!!

So yeah, out-of-box, the Tosh is admittedly underwhelming, but get into the service menu (or get the set calibrated), and you will see a dramatic improvement. I've even read in another thread here that a calibrated (or well-adjusted) Tosh has a better 3D depth perception (!!) than the Sony XBR sets. I haven't seen an XBR in action, so I can't speak on that, but I can say that I am more than happy with my purchase.

BTW: I'll soon be getting an HD set-top from Comcast, and I'm sure that seeing actual HDTV will just put the final nail in the coffin of my old 25in 4:3 set.
post #404 of 406 Old 09-20-2005, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtz777
Now I am hoping I can get the refund soon from Toshiba and they can have their wanna-be HDTV piece of Made In Thailand with crappy cheap parts thing they call an HDTV.
What a great reading experience. :) This is actually my first time reading the entire thread. I can't believe reading all of these bitchy posts is more exciting than riding in roller coasters. Posts from arthurking, len43, and kurtz777 are probably the best I read in this thread. Message to them: "The good news is that you have already went through the Orion brand experience for only one time in your entire life. And I'm really sorry that I didn't inform you that the 30HF84 was made by Orion. I had this info all along with me, even before arthurking's first post in this thread."

This quote above is my most favorite of all in this thread. Ten :D
post #405 of 406 Old 09-20-2005, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Now I am hoping I can get the refund soon from Toshiba and they can have their wanna-be HDTV piece of Made In Thailand with crappy cheap parts thing they call an HDTV.
What a great reading experience. :) This is actually my first time reading the entire thread. I can't believe reading all of these bitchy posts is more exciting than riding in roller coasters. Posts from arthurking, len43, and kurtz777 are probably the best I read in this thread. Message to them: "The good news is that you have already went through the Orion brand experience for only one time in your entire life. I'm really sorry that I didn't inform you that the 30HF84 was actually made by Orion. I had this info all along with me, even before arthurking's first post in this thread, but I kept this as a secret to myself."

post #406 of 406 Old 09-20-2005, 03:02 AM

Quote:
What a great reading experience. :) This is actually my first time reading the entire thread. I can't believe reading all of these bitchy posts is more exciting than riding in roller coasters. Posts from arthurking, len43, and kurtz777 are probably the best I read in this thread. Message to them: "The good news is that you have already went through the Orion brand experience for only one time in your entire life. I'm really sorry that I didn't inform you that the 30HF84 was actually made by Orion. I had this info all along with me, even before arthurking's first post in this thread, but I kept this as a secret to myself."

Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays