Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 406 Old 09-20-2004, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by jonny2134

Its hard to recall from memory but to the best of my knowledge i use memory mode and have:

brightness: 27
contrast: 50 (max)
tint: 0
sharpness: 15

the above settings were obtained via a DVD THX optimizer

SVM off
temperature at normal
film mode
1080i
I would change the contrast for starters. You should try to aviod a big setting there. Try to get something that works in the 20-25 range if possible.

Did you try a different DVD player or different cables? It seemed to work for Rubs. It is weird that some channels look better than others for you. Maybe a cable issue again. What format are ESPN and Bravo in compaired to CBS etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 406 Old 09-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

I called Toshiba tech. support today and was given the Name/# of an auth. local center to call for service. Called them and it looks like they will come out on the 27th to fix (hopefully) the geometry issues. Also, if anyone has The Family Guy on DVD could you try playing this and see if you have weird interlacing issues? I tried switching from 480p to 480i and it didn't make a difference. Though I didn't try switching from upconverted 1080i to 540p (forgot about this). Basically with The Family Guy there were 2 issues. One was since it was 4:3 it was in a smaller window (a square) and the left and right side had obvious geometry issues. Secondly it was having issues with displaying (like showing interlaced/non interlaced material).

I know both my DVD Player *AND* the tv do 3:2 pulldown and all that...could this be messing it up? All normal movies/shows look fine in Theaterwide 1. I'll also try switching to 540p as upconverting to 1080i could be causing interlacing issues.

I'll let you know what happens after tech support comes out. I really like the tv and for 80-90% of what I watch there are no issues, but I still have some distortion like with quick pans across scenes with lots of lines or a pan across a scene with similar coloring the image will warp. Fairly subtle tho. Am curious as to what will happen if Toshiba is unable to remedy this to a satisfactory level. --What other 30-34" TVs would be a good replacement? Price range of like no more than $1,100 or close to that. Would rather have a nice PQ for a 30" than a 34" with only OK PQ with an emphasis on 16:9 HD PQ (DVD Viewing)
post #183 of 406 Old 09-20-2004, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

interesting. Which model did you get? actually now I am willing to get my Philips 30PW850H back because my 30HF84 really stinks!

Quote:
Originally posted by CrocHunter
It was a philips that i made the mistake with, it had no 3:2 pulldown whicj is a must for hdtv's and the picture quality was really grainy with my dvd's.

I will never get a philips again, only japanese models for now on.They are the best...PERIOD!!!
post #184 of 406 Old 09-20-2004, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Figured out Family Guy, had to set my dvd player to 4:3 LB and then use Theaterwide 1 and set my dvd player to 480i while upconverting to 1080i. Then it looked fine. Oh well.
post #185 of 406 Old 09-20-2004, 11:12 PM

The model i had was the 30" 30pw8402 model, it had very grainy picture from my dvd's and it had blooming issues with the contrast setting.

It's a good thing i bought it somewhere where you can get a refund otherwise i would have been stuck with it.

The model i'm interested in getting now is the panasonic 34" CT-34WX54, i couldn't get the sony because my entertainment center can only hold 200lbs max.And that sony would be pushing it, because i have other gear to put on it too.

Did you see the panny by the way, how did it look?
post #186 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 08:14 AM

Any updates from anyone? I have to inform Amazon today if I'd like to start the return process with Eagle. Not sure what the big process is, I just have to refuse delivery and possibly have the shipping fee to send it back deducted from my refund.

I went to the local BB last night and checked out the TV and I must say it looked like crap, but it was also getting a horrible feed. The Sony 420's looked quite nice though, even with a bad feed. I just don't know if they looked around 350$ more better.
post #187 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 08:46 AM

I have had 4 days to review my 30HF84 and I am impressed.

I hooked up my Bell Expressvu 6100 HD receiver throught a DVI-HDMI cable and it looks great on HD. I have to use AVIA to adjust the settings but wow. Football blew me away. CSI:Miami last night was great eye candy.

Through Component #1 I have my Sony PS DVD Player. I watched bits of alot of my movies as well rented The Punisher and Mean Girls. (Wife's Choice on the 2nd). Both movies looked great! Of the ones I tested, Bring it On had some grain on the picture and so did American Wedding. My wife didn't notice, but I noticed some grain on the picture. All other movies looked great.

Through Component #2 I have my Sony Playstation 2 hooked up. No problems with games or movies. Same movies as above had the same grain and the other looked good. I have concluded that the grain issue is with the DVD's, not the tv. Confirmed on my 32" Sony downstairs.

Video Input #1 is Bell Expressvu 6100 through S-Video. Honest opinion is that some of the SD channels look bad. Stretch modes are great on the Toshiba but some of the SD is hard to watch. The picture was tolorabe on my old 32" Sony, but a little worse on the Toshiba. I think because it has twice the lines of resolution. This could be the problem of what people see in Best Buy, etc. Crappy SD being shown.

Video #2 is from my receiver and I have not used yet.

Overall, I am very very very impressed with what this TV can do in HD and for my gaming and DVD movie needs. The SD however, can be pretty bad on certian channels for me. Expressvu SD is not the greatest to begin with. I had to make a -2 tilt adjustment when I got the tv and I have measured the geometry. the right side is off by 1mm on the bottom. i used a ruler to measure the 4:3 lines. It is not noticeable at all. I am very impressed with this tv and would recommend it to poeple who watch alot of HD programs and or watch DVD movies. My only beef is the SD channels but I know the source (Bell Expressvu) is at fault.
post #188 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 09:13 AM

rukkus,

I recommend u to think twice before cancelling this order....it works fine after some tuning and most of HDTV in market are not good in showing SD and this is good in HD and DVD. We can all play with this and have some general recommendation about settings that can help everyone

Thanks
--rubs
post #189 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 10:13 AM

My experience with this set wasn't good. I gought mine from Best buy with a manufacturing date of June 2004. I really liked the size and the HDMI input so that I could hook up a DVD player with DVI output.

Initially I set it up with component cables and a Panasonic player. I was really dissapointed. The image seemed out of focus with shadows and excessive graininess. My 27" SD Daewoo TV with component inputs looked far better. Also there was a distortion going right through the middle of the screen so that any vertical images would distort as they went through the middle one inch of the screen.

So I ordered the Momitsu V880DX DVD player which has DVI output and is highly regarded as giving spectacular artifact free pictures. It outputs directly at 1080i and has the ability to turn off macrovision and region settings. So I got the HDMI-DVI cable from Monster cable and hooked it up and realized it was the TV causing the distortion, graniness, and out of focus look. I switched to the Daewoo and the picture was spectacular except for the obvious scan lines of the 480i display.

I returned the TV to Best Buy (they didn't even ask why) and I'm left wondering which way to turn. I didn't want a replacement and I definitely have learned from this experience to buy something in a local store so I can return the goods.

So far the biggest frustration is going to a store where they actually hook the thing up to a source where you would say " wow, great pciture I want to buy it." I tried CC and was impressed with the 30" Panasonic and Sony sets. I also thought about getting a 30" HD CRT computer monitor that outputs 1280X720 but some people on this site don't really like the Monivision sets. Again I want to see the thing before I buy.

Thanks for all the great posts, this is my first.
post #190 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 10:21 AM

I noticed pretty extreme geometry issues with the center of the screen of the 30HF84 at best buy. I currently have a Sony WEGA 27" regular old TV that I love... no geometry or color issues.. DVDs look amazing in the "enchanced 16:9 mode" even w/out pro scan on my Panny RV31. I want an HD for video games and football though...

I think I am going to cancel it and buy the Sony. Stick with what you know I guess...

It's too bad, what a deal the Toshiba could have been.

I tried to convince myself at Best Buy that the picture wasn't that bad compared to the Sony 420 series.

I wish I could have it for a few days to calibrate and make a judgement for myself, but it just doesn't work that way with Amazons return policy... puts you in between a rock and a hardplace. I can either pay 69$ to refuse shipment or possibly be stuck with a 716$ TV that doesn't even outperform my old one.
post #191 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

rukkus, I think you did a right thing.
I am stuck here! I am deeply regretting!
I just finished several calls argueing with Toshiba's one CSR and 2 supervisors. The calls lasted about 1 hour. Basically, they said the service manual is still not available(my local service center needs that if my TV needs repair) and they insist if the service guy considers my TV normal, I need to pay the coming-out service. Is it normal? well, after two weeks' waiting, I still need to wait maybe another 1-2 weeks to just have somebody to take a look at my TV.
I remember there was somebody who mentioned in this thread that he requested a service for his 30HF84 and the service guy thought the TV is OK. Did you pay for this?
There is no use to argue with them. This lesson is hard.
post #192 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 12:22 PM

service guy came last week and he didn't mention anything about payment and i assume we have 1 year warranty on this set for parts/labor and then why we have to pay

thanks
--rubs
post #193 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

That's exactly what I thought previously. But I talked with one CSR and two supervisors, they all told me the same thing: they will perform in-home service at no cost only to the TVs with defects. In other words, if the technician comes and considers my TV normal, then I have to pay the technician for his coming. I also thought it is ridiculous because the Toshiba TV carries one-year in-home service for parts/labor. But they are stubborn at this and I really don't know how to argue with them. I had no choice but call the local service center that I am willing to pay their coming if they find no problem with my TV. However, I am still waiting the local service center to get the service manual for this TV.
This is the most ridiculous thing I heard about this TV's warranty. I think I am just out of luck and I am screwed by Toshiba.

Quote:
Originally posted by rubs
service guy came last week and he didn't mention anything about payment and i assume we have 1 year warranty on this set for parts/labor and then why we have to pay

thanks
--rubs
post #194 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 03:02 PM

Arthur,

I think you are reading too much into it. From what you post, your tv is defective. A tech will see that and fix or replace the tv. It is under warranty, so it will be fixed.

On my old Sony, I have to get a tech to come and fix three times. Not once did I worry that I had to pay because I knew the tv was defective.

I wouldn't worry so much. Toshiba has good customer service. They will take care of you.
post #195 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 03:11 PM

since the service guy don't think that tv is defective do they will send me bill later on ...
post #196 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

You should have your Avia disc ready for when the tech comes. There's a couple images with like a bunch of squares and it *REALLY* emphasizes any geometry issues the tv might have. It's very obvious that none of the squares are true...mine all have a sort of wave back and forth (tilt doesn't do anything for this). Also like with scrolling credits you can see the distortion come into effect. Other good examples are like when an image pans up on a building or any vertical pans on something with no motion or a grid (like brick buildings, hotels with windows, etc). Picture goes into a warp. While normal viewing might not show any problems, with the Avia tests for geometry it's pretty dang obvious and I don't think any tech can say that that's expected for a BRAND NEW model HDTV with an srp of $899.

edit: Honestly what I'm hoping is that the picture can be adjusted, I really like this tv for many reasons (good looks, design, HD PQ) and don't wanna go out looking for a replacement. Tho a new Sony would be tempting (I'll bring my Avia disc to the store)
post #197 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, maybe I am worrying about too much. But the fact that after two weeks waiting and > 10 calls I still can't get anybody to take a look at my TV actually made me very upset. I will have my Avia disc ready and see what the technician guy can say about my TV.
Still, I'd like to say all those troubles I am experiencing right now can turn away anybody who are still interested in this TV. You are taking your own risk to buy this TV.
I am speechless right now. I will post update after the tech guy comes.
post #198 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

If Toshiba is unable to fix the current issues we are having...I have been considering the Sony 30HS420--it seems similar in that it is 30" WS 16:9 HDTV. Is this a good choice? Of course I will be checking it out firsthand before purchasing, but I would like to only have 3-4 to check from rather than just looking at everything.
post #199 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 06:37 PM

If you see the panasonic check that one out too. It's a little cheaper than the sony, and has no geometry problems from what i have heard and read.
post #200 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 07:05 PM

i had Amazon call Eagle shipping and stop my shipment. Picked up the Sony 32HS420 at CC, and it will be delivered and installed on Thursday (no F'ing way I'm carrying that thing up the stairs) :)

It was on sale for a hundred less than it is on their website too heh. Then I swung by Ikea and picked up a new stand. They have a sweet wannabe Sony one for only 59$ with a 220lb capacity.

If it wasn't for this thread, I'd possibly have a crapped out 30HF84. I appreciate all of your help and reviews.
post #201 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 08:49 PM

ok...i am at a loss. who besides rukkus is cancelling his/her order? i was going to hold the line...but if others are retreating, i will shell out some more cash for a large RPHDTV...any thoughts, gentlemen?

by the way, thanks everyone for honest info...i'm a first time user. I ordered the Tosh 30hf84 but may cancel as it will not be here until 10/14. I am also looking at the Tosh RPTV (50hx81)...any advice?
goodluck arthurking!

from the bronk
post #202 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 09:00 PM

retreat retreeeeeeeeat!

most best buys have the 30HF84 in now, go take a look. i wouldn't mind if just the pq was off since they have crappy feeds at BB. the problem was the obvious geometry issues in the middle of the screen.

btw... make sure you cancel before they send it out to Eagle. i had to call them like 10 times already to make sure everything was peachy. still not sure if they are going to take the shipping back charge out of my refund though... i don't want to bring it up because it seems like only the first person i spoke with was going to do it.

it's good to see some people actually got good sets, but i don't think it is worth the risk considering amazon has a no return policy on them.
post #203 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 09:13 PM

does amazon charge if i cancel now (before my order is shipped) or should i wait to try it out when it is delivered and then send it back with the delivery guy if it is a lemon too?

from the bronk
post #204 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 09:19 PM

You can cancel for free as long as you don't get that "order is being ready to be shipped, you can no longer cancel" yadda yadda screen when you check your order.

They MIGHT charge you for the shipping back fee if Eagle already has the TV. I think it's $69. I'll let you know if they charge me.
post #205 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 09:38 PM

rukkus....or anyone else....do you guys think going with a 30inch HDTV is going too small? i just saw The Last Samurai on my parent's Hitachi 46in RPHDTV without a prog. scan dvd player....and it was not bad pq at all.
Do you think going with a 45+inch RPTV is a bad idea?

from the bronk
post #206 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Went down to Best Buy with my DVD-9 of Heat and my Avia Home Theater calibration disc to give it a whirl on some possible options if I ditch my 30HF84. Checked out the Sony 34" KD-34SX955 ($1,999) as a 'reference' system (BB didn't have the XBR960). Heat looked pretty good (not any different than on my system) so I switched over the Avia disc. BAM! Huge geometry issues in the bottom right quadrant (way distorted) and also some on the bottom left and in the upper left. The middle of the screen looked pretty good, but the sections that had issues were pretty bad. I'd imagine a stock ticker running across would be pretty tweaked.

Then went and took a look at like a Philips 34" (don't know the model) and a Samsung 30" didn't have to stick my disc in to check out obvious problems and there was a section of video scrolling that had like a checker board and they had their own share of problems too. Didn't get to check out the Sony 30-KVHS420 but I'd imagine it too would have some issues.

This is giving me hope for my Toshiba! Honestly I don't think I really would have noticed any problems had it not been for the thread starter! But now that I've noticed it it's bugging me. Tho I do have hope because my set doesn't have major tweakage, it's more like a quasi pincushion effect messing the vertical lines (kinda like an x^3 graph). I'm hoping this can be fixed, while like the Sony had some sections that were wayy off while the rest was looking good (how could you adjust just one quadrant???).

As for visual distortion on my Toshiba it's generally pretty rare. When there are veritcal pans across something with grid lines there is a slight warping when it reaches a section or two. But this is when the majority of the picture is taken up by what they are panning across. Like I threw in Kill Bill 1 Uncut and put on that huge fight scene in the restaurant (all in color on this version) and didn't see any problems during the whole scene which has plenty of action.

Also as far as watching SD tv and my VCR (connected through RCA comosite) I managed to tweak the settings to get a MUCH better picture. I didn't realize this but the Toshiba stores different settings in the memory for *EACH* input. So while I had my DVD settings dialed in fairly well when I'd switch to my VCR it would look like crap. Well lo-and-behold when I used the same DVD settings I had for the composite input 1 (VCR) it looked A LOT BETTER (no worse than what I'd imagine a 30" WS SDTV would be with RCA cabling). Did the same for the TV stations (SD) and again, nicer picture.

If the tech can fix the geometry, I will be most happy with this purchase (fingers crossed) as it is turning out to be a lot better than I first thought.
post #207 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 09:53 PM

boden11 -
family guy is awesome.
money aside, what do you think about the Toshiba 50hx81 (as I am considering cancelling my 30hf84 order)?

from the bronk
post #208 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 09:56 PM

I don't know much about rptvs. I chose direct view because it's all i can afford, it's for my bedroom, and i like gaming on them the best.
post #209 of 406 Old 09-21-2004, 09:59 PM

thanks rukkus, boden11...I am shamefully getting the 30incher for my living room for my NYC apt....but have ample space for an RPTV...but like everyone else - 2nd thoughts linger.

from the bronk
post #210 of 406 Old 09-22-2004, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bronk
thanks rukkus, boden11...I am shamefully getting the 30incher for my living room for my NYC apt....but have ample space for an RPTV...but like everyone else - 2nd thoughts linger.
2nd thoughts here too. Mine is still pending delivery @ Amazon, but I can still cancel. Funny because I was also looking at the RPTV's in the 1500 range. I know twice the price but I'd give up a little PQ for size, especially such a big jump in size. Problem is I know little about RPTV. Was surprised to see quite a number of favorable reviews these $1500ish RPTV's. Guess I need to go see for myself in person...
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page