The Official Sony 30XS955 Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
also i cant seem to find it but whats the native is it 1080i , someone told me the slimfit is 1080i, but then another person says it does 720p without scaling... im so lost...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
720p gets scaled to 1080i.
post #453 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irhxcbcziuzxs View Post

If i decide to get this TV where is a good place to get it from JR has some bad ratings i guess.

Mine came fine from JR in 6 days. Their online tracking and that type of thing isn't real convenient, but they seemed to be reliable.
post #454 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 11:30 AM

What state do you live in aktick? I know JR is in New York... so I hope I'm closer to NY than you.
post #455 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphish View Post

720p gets scaled to 1080i.

is that bad, i plan to play my old games, my 360 and ps3 on here
post #456 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Some of you may know this already, but for those who don't . . . large TVs are not transported by express parcel companies like FedEx or UPS. The only avenue for shipping such items is via commercial trucking companies. Their business model does not provide for "next-day" or "express" delivery typically. Instead, their delivery times are merely a function of distance and consolidation of freight to particular places. Generally if, you live within 350 miles of the origin, you can expect delivery in 2-3 business days (no Sat or Sun delivery). Outside that range, tack on at least 1-2 days for every additional 400 miles or so. Also, their tracking capabilities are not as robust as the express parcel companies because the market doesn't demand it, from a cost perspective. Most of the freight that trucking comapnies haul is business-to-business, not business-to-consumer, so they are not as customer service oriented as UPS or FedEx, and have other means to track shipments in place for the B2B scenarios.

Just my 2 cents from having worked in the industry in years past.
post #457 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irhxcbcziuzxs View Post

If i decide to get this TV where is a good place to get it from JR has some bad ratings i guess.

J&R is actually a quite large and reliable store. I used to frequent it when I lived in NYC. Over the past 5-6 yrs I've ordered two Sonys from them (most recently the 30XS955 on Jan 1) and have had no problems with them. You should know, though, that Menlo Freight has been absorbed by UPS Supply Chain not long ago, so they're really the ones doing the shipping. I asked J&R to provide the tracking number to me, but if you call UPS Supply Chain, give them your name, originating zip code and delivery zip code, they'll be able to find your order. The set was on backorder when I submitted my order, but came in a few days later. I was told on the phone when I called on Monday that it should arrive by Wed-Thurs of this week, between noon and 5pm. The woman even suggested I call back Wed morning to get a narrowed-down delivery time. Most unexpectedly, it showed up at my apartment building on Tuesday at 1pm while I was working. I faxed my leasing manager permission to let them into my apartment, but she did say the guys were being difficult, almost refusing to leave it while I was out. So be careful when trying to pin them down for an exact delievery date. The UPS tracking site doesn't even give any estimated delivery date info, just where the item recently was. I hope this info helps anyone who has any shipping queries.
post #458 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 01:18 PM

I'm planning on getting this from JR sometime too, but I won't be home during the week. I live in an apartment, 3rd floor. So if the truck shows up and I'm at work, what happens? The rental office is at the other end of the property, and even if they could be let in, I don't think the freight guys will take it upstairs.

If it's possible to narrow down the delivery day reliably, i'd probably call in sick :-D, but of course that means I need to know exactly when it's coming.

Maybe I can request to work from home that week, but i'd like to know what i'm getting in to, in case i need to get this TV somewhere else. Probably won't fit in my car and I don't know of any B&M store that has it.
post #459 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehro View Post

I'm planning on getting this from JR sometime too, but I won't be home during the week. I live in an apartment, 3rd floor. So if the truck shows up and I'm at work, what happens? The rental office is at the other end of the property, and even if they could be let in, I don't think the freight guys will take it upstairs.

If it's possible to narrow down the delivery day reliably, i'd probably call in sick :-D, but of course that means I need to know exactly when it's coming.

Maybe I can request to work from home that week, but i'd like to know what i'm getting in to, in case i need to get this TV somewhere else. Probably won't fit in my car and I don't know of any B&M store that has it.

Try to find out the who the transportation company is (sounds like its Menlo Logistics) and make friends with someone on the phone there. They want to get your shipment off their truck as much as you want to recieve it; they just can't wait around all day to do so becasue they probably have a hundred more deliveries to make after yours. I know Crutchfiedl contracts for inside delivery with their transporation providers, but I have no idea about J&R, but surely they're prepared to help you get it inside with their handtruck.
post #460 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post

J&R is actually a quite large and reliable store. I used to frequent it when I lived in NYC. Over the past 5-6 yrs I've ordered two Sonys from them (most recently the 30XS955 on Jan 1) and have had no problems with them. You should know, though, that Menlo Freight has been absorbed by UPS Supply Chain not long ago, so they're really the ones doing the shipping. I asked J&R to provide the tracking number to me, but if you call UPS Supply Chain, give them your name, originating zip code and delivery zip code, they'll be able to find your order. The set was on backorder when I submitted my order, but came in a few days later. I was told on the phone when I called on Monday that it should arrive by Wed-Thurs of this week, between noon and 5pm. The woman even suggested I call back Wed morning to get a narrowed-down delivery time. Most unexpectedly, it showed up at my apartment building on Tuesday at 1pm while I was working. I faxed my leasing manager permission to let them into my apartment, but she did say the guys were being difficult, almost refusing to leave it while I was out. So be careful when trying to pin them down for an exact delievery date. The UPS tracking site doesn't even give any estimated delivery date info, just where the item recently was. I hope this info helps anyone who has any shipping queries.

going to a few stores to check for it today, we'll see how it goes, someone told me slimfit does true 720p, but im not sure if thats true, plus i think this is the TV i want, a nice upgrade from the ancients..if not ill order from JR
post #461 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 05:37 PM

Regarding the black screen on changing inputs.

Using Powerstrip I set-up two hotkeys for two separate resolutions. Then when I switch back to input 7 I just hit the hotkey to switch away from my previously set resolution and then back.

Hope this helps someone
post #462 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:

going to a few stores to check for it today, we'll see how it goes, someone told me slimfit does true 720p, but im not sure if thats true, plus i think this is the TV i want, a nice upgrade from the ancients..if not ill order from JR

the Slimfit does not do 720p displayed, only 1080i for HD content

who ever told you this was lying or was mistaken

no Consumer CRT HDTV does

furthermore I see the slimfit as even less of an upgrade considering its problems with geometry cause of its shorten depth of the tube
post #463 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray40 View Post

I have this same problem. I have a radeon 7200. I tried using the 5.7 catalyst as was suggested. Has anyone found a solution?

Supposedly changing your video display card to an Nvida based card is the only fix (that I've read of).
ATI cards have this problem.

I simply unplug the HDMI card from the TV then plug it back in, and the pic returns.
post #464 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 05:54 PM

the correct drivers are 5.6 drivers, I am not an ATI user
I apoligize for the trouble if I am the one that posted 5.7

Quote:

I simply unplug the HDMI card from the TV then plug it back in, and the pic returns.

you can damage your video card by doing this, so I would avoid it
post #465 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I meant to say I unplug the HDMI cable from the TV and then plug it back in. I don't touch the end going to the computers video card.

And I'm not going to re-boot my computer every time I change inputs. I plan on changing the card eventually anyway. I'm not going to put up with this forever.
post #466 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumx View Post

What state do you live in aktick? I know JR is in New York... so I hope I'm closer to NY than you.

I'm in southern WI. Funny thing is, I live in the country, up a looooong lane - the poor truck driver had to back all the way down my muddy lane, took him 15 minutes.
post #467 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 09:17 PM

Man, you shouldn't have tell me where you live. I live all the way down to Texas. I just hope that I will get my TV next week so I can have some time to bond with it b4 school starts.
post #468 of 1354 Old 01-13-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumx View Post

Man, you shouldn't have tell me where you live. I live all the way down to Texas. I just hope that I will get my TV next week so I can have some time to bond with it b4 school starts.

I'm sure if you ordered it this week you'll get it next week.....and it's frickin' sweet, you don't know what you're missing!
post #469 of 1354 Old 01-14-2006, 02:56 AM

Quote:

I meant to say I unplug the HDMI cable from the TV and then plug it back in. I don't touch the end going to the computers video card.

And I'm not going to re-boot my computer every time I change inputs. I plan on changing the card eventually anyway. I'm not going to put up with this forever.

I understand what you meant and you risk damaging your video card

try the 5.6 catalyst like I suggested
post #470 of 1354 Old 01-14-2006, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you, kny3twalker.

AFAIK, I'm using the latest Catalyst driver for my card (a four or five year old AIW Radeon, w/only 16 megs). It says "Version 05.9. BTW, I'm running MCE.

I believe I'm due for a graphics card upgrade anyway. Although I would prefer to continue using this card and upgrade my MB AND video card later this year. But like I said, I can't keep doing the cable trick forever.

I also have another problem with this card though. The picture is off center, an inch to the right. the Catalyst Control Center doesn't appear to have any adjustment for that. I suppose I could adjust it through the sets service menu, but I'm planning on getting an HDMI tuner soon and that would throw off the other inputs connected through that piece of equipment.

Also, 1080i has never worked (wont sync). That apparently also is a known issue with this line of cards.

I'll look for a Catalyst update, but I just did one three months ago, so I'm not hopeful.
post #471 of 1354 Old 01-14-2006, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I installed 5.13 and find no difference.
I played around with the hotkeys settings though, and discovered another work around.

I enabled a hotkey for rotating the display 90 degrees to the left, and another for returning the display to normal. When I switch inputs and return to input 7, then execute the first hotkey, the pic returns. I then execute the second hotkey and I'm good.
post #472 of 1354 Old 01-14-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:

but I'm planning on getting an HDMI tuner soon and that would throw off the other inputs connected through that piece of equipment.

well that would be a waste, use component for devices which do not require HDCP

Blu Ray, HD DVD, and upscaling DVD players are the only devices which would require HDMI

that being said, yes do not adjust the TV for the PC

you can use powerstrip to adjust the picture centering

Quote:

Well, I installed 5.13 and find no difference.

as I said you will need to download the older 5.6 drivers

Quote:

I enabled a hotkey for rotating the display 90 degrees to the left, and another for returning the display to normal. When I switch inputs and return to input 7, then execute the first hotkey, the pic returns. I then execute the second hotkey and I'm good.

another workaround is resolution switching

but which ever is fine

Quote:

Also, 1080i has never worked (wont sync). That apparently also is a known issue with this line of cards.

thats normal for cards older than the x700 cards, you will need to use component if that is the case, of course it does not sound like your video card supports component either

Quote:

I'm running MCE.

your video card is definitely not supported by MCE

you will need a directx9 video card

without it MCE will not produce a quality image
post #473 of 1354 Old 01-14-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. I will have to think about your last post a bit to absorb it all.

I did not realize you intended to suggest older drivers. I will try that this week.
As for the other, I find no hotkey setting for resolution. W/o a hotkey, I do not know how to change resolutions w/o seeing the screen.

My new cable DVR (coming this week) has HDMI, but also componant, I believe. So I should continue to use componant for that? Maybe I should be looking for a receiver with componant rather than HDMI?
post #474 of 1354 Old 01-14-2006, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphish View Post

Also, while the HDMI connection offers the ultimate in simplicity, after using it for 8 months, I found out that, with my set at least, that the component connections were better. The HD images were the same either way, but the SD images are superior using component vs. HDMI - at least with my setup. Others may disagree - you'll have to make that judgment call for yourself.

By the Way - I hope your using the Pro picture mode and Warm color temperature settings. These are much more acurate settings than Vivid and Cool, although you may have to play with the brightness (black level) and picture (white level) a little to improve the image. Get a calibration DVD to do it properly.

I also found that I get better PQ over component cables than from HDMI.

I'm not so sure I agree with what's been said about the Warm color temp - for me, at least when calibrating, I can get the colors closer to "correct" using "Neutral." Just my experience.
post #475 of 1354 Old 01-14-2006, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker View Post

the Slimfit does not do 720p displayed, only 1080i for HD content

who ever told you this was lying or was mistaken

no Consumer CRT HDTV does

furthermore I see the slimfit as even less of an upgrade considering its problems with geometry cause of its shorten depth of the tube

SlimFits and 720p has been an unfortunate point of contention because of Samsung's poor online data sheets. If one takes these data sheets seriously, it would be easy to conclude that the TX-R series, including the SlimFits, can display 720p.

I really do encourage Samsung to correct these data sheets, as they are untrue and misleading.
post #476 of 1354 Old 01-14-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:

My new cable DVR (coming this week) has HDMI, but also componant, I believe. So I should continue to use componant for that? Maybe I should be looking for a receiver with componant rather than HDMI?

any receiver that has HDMI switching will have component as well

and then furthermore, you may need HDMI switching in the future, upscaling DVD player and Blu Ray/HD DVD Player

I would use component for the HD DVR though

as far as switching resolutions for your PC, this would be done through setting up profiles, thats how it is done with the nvidia cards at least
post #477 of 1354 Old 01-14-2006, 04:06 PM

Well i just ordered my 30xs955 today from J&R. I hope to post good stuff on this tv. I really hope they take care of it on that freight truck!!!!!
post #478 of 1354 Old 01-14-2006, 04:55 PM

is the XS955 Silver?
post #479 of 1354 Old 01-14-2006, 05:00 PM

Its 2 tone,silver and black..
post #480 of 1354 Old 01-14-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellyaz View Post

Gentle people,
I've been using the HDMI interface directly connected to a Denon DVD-3910 for about 9 months and the PQ and audio have been excellent!!!! I just tried to connect to a Denon AVR-4306 using the HDMI interface, and the PQ is again excellent, but, because the 4306 does not supply a audio signal to the HDMI, I had to connect the audio source to my Audio In jacks that are just under the HDMI interface. Unfortunately, no sound. If I attach the audio cables to any other set of audio in jacks, and switch to that input, the sound is fine!!!

..... so .....

either my HDMI audio in jacks are dead, or possibly there is a configuration option that I need to modify to get the HDMI audio in jacks to work, or possibly a ribbon cable maybe loose, or remotely possible there is some incompatibility between the 4306 HDMI output where it shuts down the HDMI audio in jacks ?

Any suggestions/advice/comments/ideas will be most welcome!!!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Carter

Sorry for the delay in following up on this. I experimented a bit and its clear that my audio in jacks associated with the HDMI are not working. I swapped the HDMI for a DVI cable, without any difference, and then I plugged a number of audio inputs to the jacks without any video and no sound. All other audio sources work, so I'll have to make a service call.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page