The Official Sony 30XS955 Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1354 Old 02-10-2006, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Its fine, the back weighs nothing compared to the front anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1354 Old 02-10-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeri534 View Post

well I was wondering, how safe is it to let the back hang out 2 inches or so?

Yeah, probably 90% of the weight is in the front 6".
post #633 of 1354 Old 02-11-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post

I guess i was just searching for the brightest i should set it for while i'm at the store (within safe limits of a good long lasting brightness setting for years of enjoyable viewing) and see how it looks in the store, but it sounds like your saying it might not work cuz the store is too bright, althought this store was fairly dark inside.. no real overhead lighting in the back of the store.. this info was still good! thanks..

so definately picture wont be at 100% thast a definate no no?

Unless you can get the store to lower it's lights there's no way to do the evaluation you want to do. On this one you need to trust the folks here. We've all done everything possible to get the best set and then to calibrate it to it's best PQ.

I have the HS420 and it does indeed show the scanlines more so than the XS/XBR sets. However, from where I sit at about 5' I don't notice the lines. If the 34XS hadn't been $500 more than the 34HS420 I'd be watching an XS right now. If an XS is within your budget do yourself a favor and get it. I promise you'll have no regrets.
post #634 of 1354 Old 02-11-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc View Post

Unless you can get the store to lower it's lights there's no way to do the evaluation you want to do. On this one you need to trust the folks here. We've all done everything possible to get the best set and then to calibrate it to it's best PQ.

I have the HS420 and it does indeed show the scanlines more so than the XS/XBR sets. However, from where I sit at about 5' I don't notice the lines. If the 34XS hadn't been $500 more than the 34HS420 I'd be watching an XS right now. If an XS is within your budget do yourself a favor and get it. I promise you'll have no regrets.

If my credit card comes today i'm doing just that! thank for your post it helped me feel better about my purchase decision.. (not that i wasn't already set that SONY was the best 30 inch tube to get currently and that their quality looks like its gonna go down hill with the xbr790 is it? supposedly not going to have the super fine pitch tube).. I just wanted to make sure i didnt get it home and go "Oh man, its not as bright white, or as cheery as my old JVC 27 inch D series tv....

Change is a wierd thing and hopefully it will be plenty bright in my room hehe
post #635 of 1354 Old 02-11-2006, 03:43 PM

30XS955 Availability Midwest

American TV [based in Wisconsin I believe] has stores in the Midwest which have the 30XS955 for about $800

jim
post #636 of 1354 Old 02-11-2006, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Jinx, A safe limit for contrast is about 40 no higher or blooming will occur.On my set it's different though in that if i set it any higher than 37 the picture blooms so i find a setting of 36 to be best for my situation.

Oh and since sony does'nt use numbers for therir picture controls each little line is a # it goes from 0-63, with 31 being the middle setting.
post #637 of 1354 Old 02-11-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelcoatman View Post

30XS955 Availability Midwest

American TV [based in Wisconsin I believe] has stores in the Midwest which have the 30XS955 for about $800

jim

I saw that.. but I wonder if it's any cheaper now that the employee discount is being offered (until tomorrow).
post #638 of 1354 Old 02-11-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Oh and since sony does'nt use numbers for therir picture controls each little line is a # it goes from 0-63, with 31 being the middle setting.

my Sony KD-30XS955 has numbers
post #639 of 1354 Old 02-12-2006, 02:39 AM

I have a question about watching HD with the 30XS955. I currently have a HD cable box which I will normally use, but what if I want to watch OTA HD channels? What port do I plug my cable into, and how do I get the HD channels?
post #640 of 1354 Old 02-12-2006, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeri534 View Post

I have a question about watching HD with the 30XS955. I currently have a HD cable box which I will normally use, but what if I want to watch OTA HD channels? What port do I plug my cable into, and how do I get the HD channels?

You need an antenna which you plug into the antenna port and then scan for available channels.
post #641 of 1354 Old 02-12-2006, 09:06 AM

Availability - Midwest

I saw that.. but I wonder if it's any cheaper now that the employee discount is being offered (until tomorrow). [at AmericanTV]
kevbeck122
-----------------

Would think that if SOny has given them a price break [reducing their landed cost] the selling price until 2/12/06 [currently today] would be less. For the record beore the recent price drop they had it for $1199 - the same as on SonyStyle. Let us know how you make out - certainly worth trying to negtiate.

jim
post #642 of 1354 Old 02-12-2006, 09:18 AM

Not sure if this link will work, but American has the 34XBR970 listed for $1200 - typo? http://www.americantv.com/elec/e_lis...000&vendor=ANY
post #643 of 1354 Old 02-12-2006, 11:08 AM

I have the Sony HDTV 30 inch crt and am having trouble hooking up my samsung DVD/VCR combo. I can watch tapes and DVDs but I can't record on my VCR. There is a program that I really want to record tonight for my parents but everything I have tried will not allow me to record at all. I am using RCA cables and component cables going from my DVD player to the TV but I have to be missing something. Please help!!!
post #644 of 1354 Old 02-12-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:

there is an antenna in on the back of the TV, but can you not receive your locals via your HDTV cable box?

Quote:

Not sure if this link will work, but American has the 34XBR970 listed for $1200 - typo? http://www.americantv.com/elec/e_li...0000&vendor=ANY

the XBR970 will not have the super fine pitch tube, which makes the XS and XBR Sonys so great
and furthermore has not been released yet
so if you want a KV-34HS420 with an ATSC tuner for 1200 that Sony named the XBR970
you will have to wait until they are available next month most likely

Quote:

I have the Sony HDTV 30 inch crt and am having trouble hooking up my samsung DVD/VCR combo. I can watch tapes and DVDs but I can't record on my VCR. There is a program that I really want to record tonight for my parents but everything I have tried will not allow me to record at all. I am using RCA cables and component cables going from my DVD player to the TV but I have to be missing something. Please help!!!

you need to plug your source into the VCR, either like composite from a digital cable or satellite box OR use a splitter to split your analogue cable from the wall to the VCR

composite and component are not two way
post #645 of 1354 Old 02-12-2006, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post

Not sure if this link will work, but American has the 34XBR970 listed for $1200 - typo? http://www.americantv.com/elec/e_lis...000&vendor=ANY

Like other retailers they are assuming this TV will be available in the near future and are trying to sell it early.

They have a good price on the 30XS955.
post #646 of 1354 Old 02-12-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelcoatman View Post

Would think that if SOny has given them a price break [reducing their landed cost] the selling price until 2/12/06 [currently today] would be less. For the record beore the recent price drop they had it for $1199 - the same as on SonyStyle. Let us know how you make out - certainly worth trying to negtiate.

jim

I already have this TV and I've had it too long to return.. so it wasn't worth going there (30 min from my house). I got it for $779 at a local home theater store though.
post #647 of 1354 Old 02-12-2006, 05:41 PM

Just got mine today!!! he said it was the last one, and they had a delivery on thursday (7 total- 3 were already sold, leaving 4 and i got the last one today according to him).. 849.99 before tax.. Not TOO bad (i know lots of you have done better).. brand new in the box.. Man it was heavy!!!

So far i only have ONE major complaint about this tv... and that is that you cannot have the variable/fixed audio AND the tv's speakers on at the same time.. my 27" jvc SD tv had this option and i loved it becuase i use smaller speakers for bass mostly around the sides of the tv, and now i have to have one OR the other, its very convienent when i dont have a receiver for the tv specifically and i have 6 consoles i'm hooking up, to just get that signal out of the tv.. But i guess i'll get over it..

Also i noticed the convergance seemed a bit off in the corners (or at least the upper right corner), tho that was in VIVID mode so maybe thats why... Dunno if you can ajust convergance in the service menu or not? other than that this tv is pretty nice!!

cant say DVD's look fabulous on it, as in my mind dvd's aren't that great of quality compared to HD (they seem cartoony to me).. but the tv doesnt look bad with them, it just shows off how they truely look) only can get 2 HD channels for some reason from comcast? even tho normally we have alot more?, they look pretty nice out of the box!!

I definately see why you dont wana use VIVID, i'm using pro with picture up to about 41 and brightness at 31.. not to shabby, didnt really have to adjust much, cept to turn the bass up

Overscan is definately there.. But it seemed worse on some channels? (some news channel the info bar at the bottom was cut off at the bottom couldn't reading the second line, do some channels do it more than others?) But in HD on PBS HD half of the "D" was cut off on the right hand side of the screen.. not sure if thats a normal amount or not? Is it adjustable at all in the Service menu?

Lastly, Is there any option on this tv to JUST display HD channels? I had to search channel by channel to find the 2-3 HD channels i have, i wonder if there are any other's hiding? (they were up in the 80's)...

so far i have a pretty hugh smiley on my face i.e. i'm pretty happy with my decision, just wish i had a BLUE RAY disc to play!

Here's a pic!

post #648 of 1354 Old 02-12-2006, 05:47 PM

thats funny I was just watching serenity last night on my XS955
post #649 of 1354 Old 02-12-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:

only can get 2 HD channels for some reason from comcast? even tho normally we have alot more?, they look pretty nice out of the box!!

probably will need a cable card to get the rest of the channels

Quote:

Overscan is definately there.. But it seemed worse on some channels? (some news channel the info bar at the bottom was cut off at the bottom couldn't reading the second line, do some channels do it more than others?)

what screen mode are you in? widezoom and zoom will cut off more than using Normal or Full

you should be able to see the news info scrolling bar with normal or full

Quote:

But in HD on PBS HD half of the "D" was cut off on the right hand side of the screen.. not sure if thats a normal amount or not? Is it adjustable at all in the Service menu?

this is probably not worth messing with IMO

it is probably the normal amount

Quote:

Lastly, Is there any option on this tv to JUST display HD channels? I had to search channel by channel to find the 2-3 HD channels i have, i wonder if there are any other's hiding? (they were up in the 80's)...

you can try using the guide, anything ending with .1 or .2 or .3 etc.... will be digital

I had to manually removed the channels I did not want though
post #650 of 1354 Old 02-12-2006, 06:07 PM

Ahh i see.. Yea i only use FULL so tha what it was cut off in.. I guess i could switch to 'standard' and anything cut off is not my tv fault? or is that not true either?

I have some wierd channels like 93.1015 or some junk like that, its amazing how many channels they were sneaking in one main chanel with sub frequencies i guess? oneo f them was like 82.10 then 82.12 then 82.1205 .. it was really wierd.. I dont totally understand that.. How do i use the guide?

also does anyone else have comcast? I get NO program information what-so-ever and i thought some people said thats what happens when you go directly into the tv from the wall with comcast? (would be nice to get SOME info, my JVC was able to get info from the cable lineup after i specificed the correct channels)...

AHHHH also, my tv just did something that scared me, I was watching serenity here, and the tv made a loud click and the picture kind of...umm faded for a sec and came back on? Almost like a power surge, but a bit more suddle.. A loud click which seemed to come from the back of the tv? Its been on for about 2 hours solid right now.. Is this something normal ? should i keep an eye out for something? I'm a bit concerned with that! (the movie is still playing and the screen looks fine no effects of any kind after that click.. just a quick picture adjust or something?).
post #651 of 1354 Old 02-12-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:

Ahh i see.. Yea i only use FULL so tha what it was cut off in.. I guess i could switch to 'standard' and anything cut off is not my tv fault? or is that not true either?

Full mode does not hide anything, for HD sources, its the correct aspect ratio, for SD sources it stretches them horizontally only, for anamorphic DVDs it is also the correct aspect ratio

and yes the TV just like all CRTs have about 5% overscan

Quote:

I have some wierd channels like 93.1015 or some junk like that, its amazing how many channels they were sneaking in one main chanel with sub frequencies i guess? oneo f them was like 82.10 then 82.12 then 82.1205 .. it was really wierd.. I dont totally understand that.. How do i use the guide?

there is a guide button on the remote
also you can see the manual

also if you goto the add/remove channels, you can go through all the channels to see whats available

Quote:

also does anyone else have comcast? I get NO program information what-so-ever and i thought some people said thats what happens when you go directly into the tv from the wall with comcast? (would be nice to get SOME info, my JVC was able to get info from the cable lineup after i specificed the correct channels)...

not sure I can answer this, but my over the air channels most of the time have info
if your does not, its probably cause of Comcast

I would check the programming forum here at AVS

Quote:

AHHHH also, my tv just did something that scared me, I was watching serenity here, and the tv made a loud click and the picture kind of...umm faded for a sec and came back on? Almost like a power surge, but a bit more suddle.. A loud click which seemed to come from the back of the tv? Its been on for about 2 hours solid right now.. Is this something normal ? should i keep an eye out for something? I'm a bit concerned with that! (the movie is still playing and the screen looks fine no effects of any kind after that click.. just a quick picture adjust or something?).

mine definitely made some strange noises when I first had it, but it has not lost signal (with analogue sources)
is this from component or HDMI?

I have had some signal lose issues with HDMI, but I am sure it was cause of my video card drivers
I had to use betas to get DVI to HDMI support when I first got my TV

with newer drivers I have not had any issues
post #652 of 1354 Old 02-12-2006, 09:19 PM

Umm neither, its just the cable from the wall plugged right into the TV.. I dont think i can pick up ANY over the air stations right now, i have no antenna..

thats the scary thing, i have no HDMI device to test the connection with, what do i have, a 3 month warranty from sony in case its defective? (so far component #7 works fine with my ps2).
post #653 of 1354 Old 02-13-2006, 12:17 AM

Quote:

Overscan is definately there.. But it seemed worse on some channels? (some news channel the info bar at the bottom was cut off at the bottom couldn't reading the second line, do some channels do it more than others?) But in HD on PBS HD half of the "D" was cut off on the right hand side of the screen.. not sure if thats a normal amount or not? Is it adjustable at all in the Service menu?

I had the EXACT same issue when I was watching PBSHD, which eventually made me
get into the service menu and fix that problem. I now have about a 1/2 inch space between the D and the edge of the screen. Get into the service menu and go to 2170D-1/VSIZ and VPOS to adjust vertical size/position. 2170D-2/HSIZ and HPOS for horizontal. It will take some trial/error to get it right, so write down your original settings and have some patience ready.
post #654 of 1354 Old 02-13-2006, 07:17 AM

Is there a way to fill more of the screen (without quality loss) when watching SD shows that are in letterbox, like Battlestar Galactica? It ends up with the normal bars on the side for SD shows, but then still has the bars on top. I'd think you could eliminate both, since it's the same aspect ratio as HD material?
post #655 of 1354 Old 02-13-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Umm neither, its just the cable from the wall plugged right into the TV.. I dont think i can pick up ANY over the air stations right now, i have no antenna..

thats the scary thing, i have no HDMI device to test the connection with, what do i have, a 3 month warranty from sony in case its defective? (so far component #7 works fine with my ps2).

Hey Jinx!

Congrats on your new set! You made a great choice.

I have Comcast. And I get the guide. But, you have to get at least the Digital Classic service with either the STB or the CableCard to do so. You are getting the available local HD channels via the straight-out-of-the-wall method, the unencrypted HD channels. This is their basic "analog" service and does not include their guide.
post #656 of 1354 Old 02-13-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Is there a way to fill more of the screen (without quality loss) when watching SD shows that are in letterbox, like Battlestar Galactica? It ends up with the normal bars on the side for SD shows, but then still has the bars on top. I'd think you could eliminate both, since it's the same aspect ratio as HD material?

Wide Zoom mode just about eliminates the bars for Battlestar Galactica.
post #657 of 1354 Old 02-13-2006, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoNuts View Post

Wide Zoom mode just about eliminates the bars for Battlestar Galactica.

On my set zoom cuts part of the edges of BG. Wide zoom distorts the picture.
post #658 of 1354 Old 02-13-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Zoom would probably be your best bet.. even though it'll cut off some of the picture. Wide Zoom is meant more for 4:3 non letterbox material. Otherwise get Universal HD and you can watch BG in HD
post #659 of 1354 Old 02-13-2006, 03:38 PM

Hi guys, I've done some searching both in this forum and on the internet, and I can't seem to find anyone else with my problem. If this has been posted before elsewhere, I apologize.

My TV seems to be severely distorting the image. Everything is horizontally squeezed to a semi-4:3 aspect ratio, except the sides are wavy. Sometimes rebooting the TV will fix it. Sometimes it will go away after changing inputs, and some times it won't go away for a long time no matter what I do. And when it does fix itself, it just snaps back into place. It doesn't happen every time I turn the TV on, but it's pretty frequent. All of my inputs are 16:9 at the moment, so I don't know if having a 4:3 input changes anything. Changing from 720p to 1080i inputs makes no difference.

I just want to know if anyone has come across this before, and if anyone knows the cause. The TV is pretty new. I've had it for about 3-4 months, and it just started happening a couple weeks ago. It's one heavy mo-fo, so I'd rather not take it someplace to get fixed if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #660 of 1354 Old 02-13-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbeck122 View Post

Zoom would probably be your best bet.. even though it'll cut off some of the picture. Wide Zoom is meant more for 4:3 non letterbox material. Otherwise get Universal HD and you can watch BG in HD

I have it...but the new eps aren't on for months .
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page