post #721 of 1354 Old 02-18-2006, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh, yea Im just using my cable box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGZ28 View Post

How big is the room it's in? 12 is a decent clip for me, 15 is about the max.

Its a small room =\\, 10x11 or so, must just be really good speakers cause on my Dell LCD I could crank it up to 50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1354 Old 02-18-2006, 12:04 PM

yeah I found it was really loud over the analogue audio inputs

if you are not using a HD DVR, have you considered switching to cable card, cost less and better image quality
post #723 of 1354 Old 02-18-2006, 12:06 PM

I did but Cox doesnt offer a cable card with all the menus and stuff.....
post #724 of 1354 Old 02-18-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I did but Cox doesnt offer a cable card with all the menus and stuff.....

could not do channel surfing huh?

well its not just cox, thats how cable card currently works, you do not get a guide and menu etc....

you simply have your tuner in the TV receive and decrypt the digital cable
post #725 of 1354 Old 02-18-2006, 02:48 PM

Jinx, I don't know if this is related to your problem, but I get a "speedbump" in the same two spots you marked in your picture. Any time there is a camera pan, I can see the image warp when it hits those two spots. It almost makes it look like a fisheye lens, and it's very annoying. Does anyone know if there is anything one can do to correct this problem? If it's a geometry problem that can be solved via the service menu, can anyone tell me the names of the values I should be adjusting? Thanks.
post #726 of 1354 Old 02-18-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeri534 View Post

Well Im watching Rush Hour on TNTHD right now and at 14 its already loud.

Also to Jinx, you know that click your tv made and the screen turned off and on? How loud was the click, and how fast did the screen turn on and off? I noticed when watching TV that the screen came off and on, but very fast it was barely noticeable, I think I heard a click but Im not sure, it was very faint and I could barely hear it.

I would say it was a little bit louder than the set makes when you first turn it on (think click-bzzzz) just a tad louder and without the bzzz, and it doesnt turn off, the screen just like QUICKLY flickers almost like its deguassing, but i dont get that degauss effect, I dont think i ever lost the image, its almost like a power skip, but i know its not my power cuz the lights dont dim or anything like that.. and its only done it 2 times, and after being on for a few hours.. Then again i sit in my bed about 4-5 feet away so the click might have been far more audiable to me, and the tv volume was on about ohh 4 or 5... I dont think my set is broken, its probably something the tv does after its been on a while?
post #727 of 1354 Old 02-18-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasdock View Post

Jinx, I don't know if this is related to your problem, but I get a "speedbump" in the same two spots you marked in your picture. Any time there is a camera pan, I can see the image warp when it hits those two spots. It almost makes it look like a fisheye lens, and it's very annoying. Does anyone know if there is anything one can do to correct this problem? If it's a geometry problem that can be solved via the service menu, can anyone tell me the names of the values I should be adjusting? Thanks.

Let me go on to state, that COULD be wait I/WE are seeing and i just dont know how to classify it any better, do you have one on each side? Again i have a feeling this is a physical part of the inside of the tv and probably due to the fact that its widescreen, if i'm correct, alot of flat glass screens will probablhy have this if not all.. But I could be wrong and just a few of us have defective tv's (but i doubt that).. I think i will probably get used to it.. its definately mostly only visable during brighter scenes.. I haven't noticed it at all playing a first person shooter on the xbox really..
post #728 of 1354 Old 02-18-2006, 07:50 PM

Both sides, right where you had your circles. I could live with it if it wasn't distorting the image. I have seen this distortion referred to as speedbumps, and if anyone knows if this can be corrected either through the service menu or through a service technician with magnets, let me know. It's distracting enough that the set might have to go back otherwise.
post #729 of 1354 Old 02-18-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post

I would say it was a little bit louder than the set makes when you first turn it on (think click-bzzzz) just a tad louder and without the bzzz, and it doesnt turn off, the screen just like QUICKLY flickers almost like its deguassing, but i dont get that degauss effect, I dont think i ever lost the image, its almost like a power skip, but i know its not my power cuz the lights dont dim or anything like that.. and its only done it 2 times, and after being on for a few hours.. Then again i sit in my bed about 4-5 feet away so the click might have been far more audiable to me, and the tv volume was on about ohh 4 or 5... I dont think my set is broken, its probably something the tv does after its been on a while?

This exact same thing has happened to me several times. I've posted elsewhere and was reassured to see that many folks have seen it, but it hasn't become chronic for anyone. I don't have any other info, just wanted to chime in that I've experienced this as well ---
post #730 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightSM View Post

This exact same thing has happened to me several times. I've posted elsewhere and was reassured to see that many folks have seen it, but it hasn't become chronic for anyone. I don't have any other info, just wanted to chime in that I've experienced this as well ---

So wait, are you saying its not chronic as in some tv's just dont have it? or as in they haven't made a big deal of it? I would say most casual a watcher wont even notice this or be able to see what we are talking about.. Are you also saying most people see it cuz its on all the tv's?
post #731 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasdock View Post

Both sides, right where you had your circles. I could live with it if it wasn't distorting the image. I have seen this distortion referred to as speedbumps, and if anyone knows if this can be corrected either through the service menu or through a service technician with magnets, let me know. It's distracting enough that the set might have to go back otherwise.

Wow, thats too bad.. I wouldn't take mine back for this, its a minor thing that is really only prevenlant in a few situations, and can be overlooked for the most part, and with the slew of other bad problems to have from other tv makers, i think its a minor thing i can put up with.. sorry if you cant tho...
post #732 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 01:48 AM

Well, I'm still collecting data right now. If this is a problem that can be corrected--either in the service menu or by calling a tech--that'll be great. Maybe my "take it back" is just the frustration talking. I had to take back a Samsung that had far worse geometry problems, and I hated to see geometrical issues with this set. But, some are to be expected, I guess.
post #733 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 02:18 AM

Quote:

mine also has some bumps in the geometry near the sides, but they are gradual so I have never worried about them

if I ever get up the nerve to work through the service menu or patience to read Kentech's "work of art", got scared first time in and turned off TV before changing anything, I would be adjusting the red to get it closer to dead on

Monitor is too dark on my set and default is just a tad too light
post #734 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Well, I'm still collecting data right now. If this is a problem that can be corrected--either in the service menu or by calling a tech--that'll be great.

Most geometry issues can be fixed or minimized via the service menu. Your best best bet is to purchase the service manual because it has diagrams for the adjustments. If you post a picture of your problem, I could suggest adjusting certain things in the service menu. Without a picture, it's hard to say what to try.
post #735 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Most geometry issues can be fixed or minimized via the service menu. Your best best bet is to purchase the service manual because it has diagrams for the adjustments. If you post a picture of your problem, I could suggest adjusting certain things in the service menu. Without a picture, it's hard to say what to try.

Jinx's post #687 gives a very good description with pictures of the issue some of us seem to have.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=23&pp=30
post #736 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Jinx's post #687 gives a very good description with pictures of the issue some of us seem to have.

Tough to see anything in those pictures.
post #737 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 12:41 PM

Okay I was very surprised last night when I tried to calibrate my TV using DVE..I had it set to pro, and every brightness/color test it was almost spot on with the default settings, I had to do 1-2 clicks here and there but other than that it was almost spot on..did anyone have a similar experience when using DVE?
post #738 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 12:59 PM

I shold be receiving my set tomorrow, what do I need as far as antenna equipment to receive OTA digital channels? Does the TV come with everything I need or is a seperate antenna necessary?
post #739 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 01:15 PM

the TV does not include an antenna nor any cables
you will need both
post #740 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker View Post

the TV does not include an antenna nor any cables
you will need both

Any recommendations?

Thanks
post #741 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkellogg556 View Post

I shold be receiving my set tomorrow, what do I need as far as antenna equipment to receive OTA digital channels? Does the TV come with everything I need or is a seperate antenna necessary?

What kind of antenna you need depends on where you are relative to the boradcast antenna(s)...your profille doesn't indicate anything about your location....

there's a standard site for checking about antennas, etc, ....ah, found it:
www.antennaweb.org

If you're very near the antenna, even a rabbit ears may work, further away, a better antenna, and maybe even one on the roof.

By the way, the digital signal is often even easier to get than the analog, so don't let a salesman tell you you need a special digital antenna. When I got my Sony 32 incher in 2003, I just hooked the same cable (from my antenna) that I had been using for more than a decade, and it worked fine...so whatever you'd been using before may work fine..

OTA only. For signal strength at your location:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, not any more.

post #742 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 02:09 PM

I was correcting for overscan last night using Avia, but that disc is non-anamorphic. I had to use zoom to get it to full screen. Will that give me an accurate test pattern?
post #743 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 02:29 PM

Wow those lines on my mine were viewable alot more during nascar.. its the fast panning that makes them apparent, and the bright colors of the cars and such.. its is a tad bit more than an annoyance at that level...They keep catching my eye..
post #744 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:

I was correcting for overscan last night using Avia, but that disc is non-anamorphic. I had to use zoom to get it to full screen. Will that give me an accurate test pattern?

not for adjusting things in the service menu
post #745 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 07:23 PM

I am getting my XS955 next week. I downloaded the manual to get a head start on hookup options. I currently have an all-Sony setup (see my profile) with an STR-DE945 (no video upconversion capability) being used for all audio processing as well as video switching. I live in the "sticks" and have no access to cable, so I will only have access to HD via OTA channels. I have Dish, but I don't plan on going with the HD upgrade quite yet. After looking at the 955 info, it looks like I will have to change my setup, i.e. letting the TV switch the video and the reciever switch audio, in order to get full functionality from the 955's capabilities. Is there an alternative or should I just leave the audio on the reciever, send all video to the 955, and then invest in a universal remote like a Harmony 880 or Sony-3100 to eliminate all the button-pushing? All of my old (5 years) analog Sony 32" setup info seemed geared primarily toward using the TV as a monitor when in a home theater configuration. I don't see any mention of home theater integration in the 955 manual. Is Sony intentionally steering the video switching functions back to the TV for some reason to be revealed in the future?

This forum is great. Thanks to all of you who contribute and freely share your knowledge. Hope I can return the favor some day.
post #746 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 07:39 PM

since you will be using the TV's internal HD tuner for HD content, its time to leave the AVR to audio switching only and get a Harmony
post #747 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker View Post

not for adjusting things in the service menu

I guess my zoom allowed it to be pretty close, because I bought the anamorphic DVE and didn't need to adjust my overscan settings from what I did last night. I also found that my basic settings didn't need to be changed at all from Avia to DVE, which I guess has to be the case if they are really setting it to a standard. The positive about DVE is that it includes some test footage, and it is looking pretty gorgeous on my set right now. Some of it almost looks HD, at least to my admittedly untrained eye.
post #748 of 1354 Old 02-19-2006, 10:03 PM

I'm confused about something. I set up a 16:9 image using an overscan pattern, and it looked like it was nicely centered and with minimal overscan. But, this has caused the 4:3 window to be shifted to the left. Is there a way to avoid this? I was using the HPOS, HSIZ, VPOS, and VSIZ controls.
post #749 of 1354 Old 02-21-2006, 11:21 AM

Looking for some basic help with geomtery and overscanning. I am using input #5 for my 360 and I would like to adjust the overscan a bit. What exactly do I need to do. I read through a thread about the service menu but I am a bit confused. Does each input have its own settings in the service menu or does a change in geometry affect all inputs for example? What about for different sources/signals? Does 1080i have to be adjusted differently than a signal that is 720P? For the most part I am mainly concerned with getting a quality display from the 360 running at 1080i. The analog signals from my cable box running through input 1 are also somewhat important or an area I may like to adjust. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I think I will leave the color and white/black levels as is for now. However if you have any suggestions for quick a dirty color adjustments I am listening.

Thanks

ETA: I did some of the suggestions with 2107D-1 and 2107D-1 (IIRC), but I did not see the setting under MID3 that other posters have suggested for tweaking geometry. I was able to see some changes in geometry, but I am unsure if I have done everything correctly. Also regarding the raster or background and foreground adjustments, after making both layers fill the screen so there is zero overscan do you then increase both layers to achieve the necessary overscan? Or do you only adjust one of the layers? Again thanks for the help and let me know of any quick ways to adjust contrast, brightness etc.
post #750 of 1354 Old 02-23-2006, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have a KDL-32XBR950. I can not receive unencrypted QAM256 bradcasts from Comcast cable. Is this a Sony problem? I'm really pissed.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page