Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1354 Old 08-11-2005, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper13 View Post

I plan to buy this TV in the next couple of days. I have a couple of questions and I'm new to this stuff (this will be my first HDTV), so bear with me:

1) Are monster cables really worth it? - $120 for HDMI monster cables is a lot to spend.

2) I have a progessive scan DVD plan - is it worth it to upgrade to a HD-DVD player (there's a Samsung out there for $150 that I was looking at if so)?

3) I already have a Motorola DVR from Comcast which I use for my SD television. It says it is HDTV ready. Do I need to upgrade or can I just use that one (I can already view the HDTV channels on my SD TV). How will non-HDTV channels look on this TV when running through this digital cable box?

4) What's a good calibration DVD to purchase and where can I purchase it?

5) Am I making the right television choice here?

Thanks for any help.

Question 1 :

I have an older first generation DVD player, the signal is fed to my Sony VHS recorder, then to the TV. The PQ is superb even with this set up. Then I bought a Sony DVD with progressive scan recently and hooked it to the TV through the component input (using py, pb and py), I did not see any real noticeable improvement. I later found out that the TV has a built in feature called DRC:

Digital Reality Creation (DRC) Multifunction Unlike conventional line doublers, the DRC Multifunction feature replaces the signal's NTSC waveform with the HD equivalent, while doubling the number of vertical and horizontal lines. This results in four times the density for quality sources, such as DVD, satellite and digital camcorders. The Video Menu allows you to select interlaced, progressive or CineMotion output.

It seems to improve the signal from the DVD player, so I would not buy the monster cable until you have tried using the DVD with a regular cable first.

Qustion 2 : see above

Question 3 : I have Comcast High Speed Internet with the 12 channels basic option. The TV has two antenna inputs, one for over the air signal and one for cable. I can now get over 100 channels (mostly music stations) from the Comcast cable including some HDTV signal (like ABC, NBC ....). Non-HDTV channels look better than my older Sony TV.

Question 4 : You can use any calibration disk. I created one from using the patterns from this website : http://www.tigerdave.com/test_patterns.htm

Question 5 : Yes. If you need confirmation, read the March 2005 issue of Consumer's Report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1354 Old 08-12-2005, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper13 View Post

1) Are monster cables really worth it? - $120 for HDMI monster cables is a lot to spend.

2) I have a progessive scan DVD plan - is it worth it to upgrade to a HD-DVD player (there's a Samsung out there for $150 that I was looking at if so)?

4) What's a good calibration DVD to purchase and where can I purchase it?

5) Am I making the right television choice here?

Thanks for any help.

Get your cables from BetterCables simply because they sponsor the forum.

If a $150 player is an upgrade then by all means get it.

Avia is good and pretty easy to use. You may want to consider an ISF calibration at some point.

Yes, you are making the right choice.

JohnG
post #93 of 1354 Old 10-13-2005, 11:53 AM

Just got this set a few weeks ago. I am having trouble with the HD tuner. Sometimes I cannot properly tune in OTA signals. They appear on the screen with a sort of garish photo negative look. For example, watching the Houston Astros, all I could see were red (the uniforms) and green (the field) vivid blotches. Everything else was dark. The signal strength is usually in the 89-92 range, so its not as if it's the signal. Often times, I can wait it out, and after a period of time, the HD picture will clear up. Sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes an hour.

I spoke with a Sony CSR a couple of nights ago, and he had me try a power cycle, unplugging the television, but that did no good.

Then, when I was pushing the television back into place, it hit the wall (not very hard) and the HD picture popped in perfectly.

Someone elsewhere on the boards mentioned a service bulletin on a bad transistor for this set. Anyone familiar with that? Can you point me to it?

Otherwise, anyone had any similar problems with this set?

I just took my VT60 out of the box and started watching it. Is that ok?
post #94 of 1354 Old 10-15-2005, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there anyway to merge the million other Sony 30XS955 threads into this thread?

JohnG
post #95 of 1354 Old 10-15-2005, 06:20 PM

you can pm alan but I do not think we should merge every KD30XS955 thread
post #96 of 1354 Old 10-15-2005, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker View Post

you can pm alan but I do not think we should merge every KD30XS955 thread

It just seems to me everyone that buys a new one or is thinking about buying one is starting a new thread.

I'd like to hear from the new owners how they set their picture up, what tweaks they've done etc.

There 5 threads on page one alone. One person is asking for help with set up. If we can create one resource questions may get answered quicker with more input.

JohnG
post #97 of 1354 Old 10-15-2005, 09:52 PM

post #98 of 1354 Old 10-16-2005, 01:15 PM

Thanks to this forum, I was able to verify that the KD30XS955 was a good choice. I picked one up at BB for $673.49 (10% off for open box and another 15% with coupon printed from BB site). I can't wait to get it set up and see how good it looks at home and properly adjusted!
post #99 of 1354 Old 10-20-2005, 09:51 AM

I just Bought the tv yesterday, I am very happy with it so far. My cable box for HD hasent been installed yet but Using a 20+ year old UHF antenna in the attic i actually pick up more digital channels then i do analog ones. In HD the picture is fantastic. I do have one complaint though, and i wanna know what other owners solutions were.. The TV has NO flat area on top... I am left with no place to put my Center channel speaker.. My old panasonic had a center speaker mode where you could use the TV speakers for the center... does this tv have anything like that? I am thinking about cutting a block of wood to wedge the back of my center so it stays on, but did anyone come up with a better solution?

I will say though its a great TV.. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Dr.
post #100 of 1354 Old 10-20-2005, 11:02 AM

try this....or something similar...unless you think your wood block would be better.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051806204991
post #101 of 1354 Old 10-21-2005, 10:58 AM

I was wondering how significant the difference between component and S-video is on this set.

I just picked it up the KD30XS955 but my Pioneer 1014 receiver only has one video component out (which is going to my front projector). So the easiest way for me to hook it up would be S-video cable straight from my HD box.

I've also heard that S-video looks slightly better when displaying SD signals. Not that I'll be watching too much SD I hope.

Anyway, feedback is appreciated.

jmac
post #102 of 1354 Old 10-21-2005, 12:02 PM

The inexpensive way out is to try 3 RCA Y connectors from Radioshack $5? a piece. Not sure if the HD signal likes to be split like that or if you can only watch one display at a time?
Maybe someone in this forum knows.
Then there are switchers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=553529
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=509068
s-video does not support HD
post #103 of 1354 Old 10-21-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:

If your receiver has multiple component ins, use it as your switcher.

he said he was using the component out from his receiver to his projector

Quote:

I've also heard that S-video looks slightly better when displaying SD signals. Not that I'll be watching too much SD I hope.

maybe cause the cable boxes have had poorly implimented component outputs

component in theory should be better than svideo or composite for SDTV content
post #104 of 1354 Old 10-24-2005, 02:36 PM

Just a quick silly question:

When the TV is turned on, the red light flashes 5-6 times (I forget) before it actually powers on - Is this normal? It has always done it. - Warming up maybe?

Thanks
post #105 of 1354 Old 10-24-2005, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

normal.....states it in the manual

It's the job of the salesman to give honest and accurate product info and let the customer decide if it fits their needs.
post #106 of 1354 Old 10-24-2005, 02:44 PM

Thanks, I should try to find that.. Any since I am already asking silly questions..

Is there a way to change the input other than cycling through all of them? For example, if im on #1, is there a quick way to just to #7?

Thanks again!
post #107 of 1354 Old 10-24-2005, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonlorelle View Post

Thanks, I should try to find that.. Any since I am already asking silly questions..

Is there a way to change the input other than cycling through all of them? For example, if im on #1, is there a quick way to just to #7?

Thanks again!

You can set it up to skip inputs that you do not have anything hooked up to.

Check the manual.

JohnG
post #108 of 1354 Old 10-25-2005, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGZ28 View Post

You can set it up to skip inputs that you do not have anything hooked up to.

Check the manual.

Yeah, but that is still annoying, especially when one has several components hooked up! Anyone know if it's possible to use set buttons for the individual inputs via a programmable remote?
post #109 of 1354 Old 10-25-2005, 10:17 AM

get a universal remote like a harmony which can jump inputs for you with one press of the buttons
they are activity based remotes and work with everything under the sun
post #110 of 1354 Old 10-26-2005, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker View Post

get a universal remote like a harmony which can jump inputs for you with one press of the buttons
they are activity based remotes and work with everything under the sun

Actually, Sony itself makes a killer universal remote (the Digital Remote Commander) which so far has only tripped up on the GI/Motorola DCT-2xxx digital cable STBs (amazingly, the same DRC works just fine with the analog and Moto HD/DVR STBs). So if you can't find the Harmony (out of stock, unavailable, etc.), consider the Sony.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get the 30XS955 I had my eye on (BB sold out too darn fast), and that particular store doesn't have my next choice (another Sony, specifically the KD34XBR960). However, the CC across the street DOES have the 34" XBR. The only way I can get the 30" XS is ordering directly from SonyStyle. Has anyone done this? My issue is, of course, the shipping method (as this is a one hundred fifty pound behemoth of a set); who handles shipping for Sony on the East Coast?
post #111 of 1354 Old 10-26-2005, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHammer View Post

Actually, Sony itself makes a killer universal remote (the Digital Remote Commander) which so far has only tripped up on the GI/Motorola DCT-2xxx digital cable STBs (amazingly, the same DRC works just fine with the analog and Moto HD/DVR STBs). So if you can't find the Harmony (out of stock, unavailable, etc.), consider the Sony.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get the 30XS955 I had my eye on (BB sold out too darn fast), and that particular store doesn't have my next choice (another Sony, specifically the KD34XBR960). However, the CC across the street DOES have the 34" XBR. The only way I can get the 30" XS is ordering directly from SonyStyle. Has anyone done this? My issue is, of course, the shipping method (as this is a one hundred fifty pound behemoth of a set); who handles shipping for Sony on the East Coast?

I just order the 30XS955 from Amazon for $950 & $99 for shipping. It's not quite the deal that BB ran but they're getting scarse and every other place that still had them in stock wanted a couple hundred $$ more. I procrastinated way too long and missed the deal from BB, but at least I'll be getting one at a decent price.
post #112 of 1354 Old 10-26-2005, 11:23 PM

The picture on my 30XS955 is great for HD, but when I watch SD channels or bring up my program guide I notice that the 4:3 image isn't square. It's bows out at the top and bottom (mainly the top). I've read other threads from people with similar problems.
Is their a way to fix this? I haven't ventured into the service menu, is this where I have to go?

Sidenote: this doesn't sound good, about ten minutes ago my screen went black for about 10 seconds, when it came back on the bowing seemed a bit worse.

anyone else have this issue?
post #113 of 1354 Old 10-28-2005, 02:29 PM

This may have been covered but is it possible to get HDTV through a non hdv box with Comcast since this tv has a builit in tuner. My projector is hooked up to an hd (box)receiver, I could try it. I was just wondering if I was able to avoid the HD reciever. Any input is appreciated.
post #114 of 1354 Old 10-28-2005, 02:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

The tv has a QAM tuner. If comcast is sending the HD channels digitally and unencrypted (most likely true for your local stations, probably not true for ESPN-HD or HBO-HD - - you'll need a cablecard for that), then you will get the channels, but they won't be mapped to where comcast puts them.

I don't have HD service w/comcast, yet I get all the locals (I have extended basic only). They are channels like 86.1 vs something like 802 on the official comcast listings.

The QAM tuner also picks up a few other random channels like the music audio channels and a few unencrypted stragglers, also in non-standard channel settings.

EDIT - worth adding the comcast is not allowed by law to encrypt the local affiliate HD feeds.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #115 of 1354 Old 10-29-2005, 04:06 PM

Jmac, I think that might be a geometry problem, but the experts will get to that, I think. I just got mine today. It doesn't look real good, but then it was a floor model so I know I will have to do some tweaking to get it right. My question is, do you have to enter the service menu to really get it looking good? I don't really want to mess around with something I don't understand.

Thanks for any advice.
post #116 of 1354 Old 10-29-2005, 07:26 PM

I just got this TV and I was wondering if you have any tips for improving video quality of old videogames... I was just trying out my old N64 using a standard RCA cable and it looked realllllllllllly bad.
post #117 of 1354 Old 10-29-2005, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

The tv has a QAM tuner. If comcast is sending the HD channels digitally and unencrypted (most likely true for your local stations, probably not true for ESPN-HD or HBO-HD - - you'll need a cablecard for that), then you will get the channels, but they won't be mapped to where comcast puts them.

I don't have HD service w/comcast, yet I get all the locals (I have extended basic only). They are channels like 86.1 vs something like 802 on the official comcast listings.

The QAM tuner also picks up a few other random channels like the music audio channels and a few unencrypted stragglers, also in non-standard channel settings.

EDIT - worth adding the comcast is not allowed by law to encrypt the local affiliate HD feeds.

maybe a stupid question, but for QAM do you have to do anything special? I hooked cable up to mine just to try it (i have a DVR box) and i just got the standard channels. My cable company DOES however carry all the HD channels, but auto programming didnt turn any up.

Dr.
post #118 of 1354 Old 10-29-2005, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

I thought it was a regulation for the cableco 's to carry locals in the clear not necesarily the the HD locals.

It's the job of the salesman to give honest and accurate product info and let the customer decide if it fits their needs.
post #119 of 1354 Old 10-29-2005, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you connect via the a coax cable frrom the wall to your cable tuner on the television ? The scan will take about 40 minutes to complete. Make sure it is on the cable tuner and not the antenna.

post #120 of 1354 Old 10-30-2005, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_EluSivE View Post

maybe a stupid question, but for QAM do you have to do anything special? I hooked cable up to mine just to try it (i have a DVR box) and i just got the standard channels. My cable company DOES however carry all the HD channels, but auto programming didnt turn any up.

Dr.

The only thing special you have to do is find the channels. As you noticed they sometimes don't show up under auto program.

Check the local HDTV thread for you area. Often times some one will post the QAM channels for the various cable companies.

Opps! Just saw that you're a mustang guy, please disregard any helpful posts.

JohnG
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page