post #181 of 1354 Old 11-03-2005, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker View Post

analogue broadcast or SDTV is not 16x9, it is suppose to be

the cable card decrypts all the digital and HD digital channels you subscribe to
the coax line goes straight from your wall to TV

and then you would use the TV's built in guide

antennaweb.org

I personally get my HD source from Over the Air as it is my only option in my apartments which have contracted with a Directv dealer

outdoor antenna are the best option
but if you need an indoor
the DB2 is the best option but large
then the Radio Shack 15-1880
and then the Zenith Silver Sensor

you can only get the locals over the air, just like analogue TV
meaning ABC, CBS, etc...

HD discovery is only available through cable

also you should check out the HD forums here at AVS
and you should know that many HD channels many times only locals are unencrypted meaning you can get them by connecting the coax from wall to TV
with basic cable service

Related to cablecard, I also have Tivo so should I feed Tivo with RF from wall and take RF out from Tivo and put it in TV ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1354 Old 11-03-2005, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

The RF from Tivo to TV wouldn't do you any good. Use the best available connection frrom your Tivo unit. If your Tivo isn 't HD than use the S-Video connection.

It's the job of the salesman to give honest and accurate product info and let the customer decide if it fits their needs.
post #183 of 1354 Old 11-03-2005, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgates View Post

The RF from Tivo to TV wouldn't do you any good. Use the best available connection frrom your Tivo unit. If your Tivo isn 't HD than use the S-Video connection.

So my connections should look as RF from wall going into Tivo and Component from Tivo going out to TV ?

At present my RF from wall goes into HD cable box. S-video from HD cable box goes into Tivo. Component from Tivo goes into TV. But with this setup when I do automatic channel tuning it doesnot find any channels. I've to change to Video 6 (as that is component input on my TV) and then change all channels using Tivo's remote.
post #184 of 1354 Old 11-03-2005, 02:24 PM

Now to get the most out of this, this is how I would set it up. I would take the cable from the wall, put it into an Amp/3-way Splitter (powered). Feed one into the TV directly into the Cable input, one into the HD Cable Box, and one into the Tivo. Now, connect the HD cable box to the TV via Component Cables or HDMI and connect the box to the Tivo using the S-Video as you already do. Connect the Tivo into the TV using Component or S-Video. Now with this setup, your tv will tune automatically to all channels coming in directly from the cable that you can get analog and that are Clear QAM digital. You then also have the HD box feeding its high def signal into the TV also. Third, you setup your TV for two cable connections, one directly and one thru the Cable Box. That way you can record on there anything that doesnt require the box without tying up the box, or record from the box if needed. I know this sounds like a complicated setup, but it gives you the most options to record and watch something else.

Just for reference, this is how I have my setup-

Cable comes from wall to 4-way powered splitter/amp. One feed goes into my ReplayTV, one into my VCR, one into the TV directly, and one into my EyeTV 500 for my Mac. The replay is connected directly to the TV via Component Cables, the VCR is connected to the TV via Composite cables, the Mac is connected via DVI-HDMI. This way I can technically record three things at once, and watch a fourth program, without worrying that some RF signal isnt set to pass-thru (the old TV/VCR on a VCR or the Replay being on or off). This setup works great and with using this 4-way amp I got from Radio Shack, my picture is actually clearer than it was originally straight from the wall doing the RF daisy chain of Wall-VCR-ReplayTV-TV.

Some might think this sort of setup seems excessive, I just find it as the most simplistic in the end result where everything is independant of the other and all components just interface with the TV directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoshi View Post

So my connections should look as RF from wall going into Tivo and Component from Tivo going out to TV ?

At present my RF from wall goes into HD cable box. S-video from HD cable box goes into Tivo. Component from Tivo goes into TV. But with this setup when I do automatic channel tuning it doesnot find any channels. I've to change to Video 6 (as that is component input on my TV) and then change all channels using Tivo's remote.

post #185 of 1354 Old 11-03-2005, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbomb View Post

Now to get the most out of this, this is how I would set it up. I would take the cable from the wall, put it into an Amp/3-way Splitter (powered). Feed one into the TV directly into the Cable input, one into the HD Cable Box, and one into the Tivo. Now, connect the HD cable box to the TV via Component Cables or HDMI and connect the box to the Tivo using the S-Video as you already do. Connect the Tivo into the TV using Component or S-Video. Now with this setup, your tv will tune automatically to all channels coming in directly from the cable that you can get analog and that are Clear QAM digital. You then also have the HD box feeding its high def signal into the TV also. Third, you setup your TV for two cable connections, one directly and one thru the Cable Box. That way you can record on there anything that doesnt require the box without tying up the box, or record from the box if needed. I know this sounds like a complicated setup, but it gives you the most options to record and watch something else.

Just for reference, this is how I have my setup-

Cable comes from wall to 4-way powered splitter/amp. One feed goes into my ReplayTV, one into my VCR, one into the TV directly, and one into my EyeTV 500 for my Mac. The replay is connected directly to the TV via Component Cables, the VCR is connected to the TV via Composite cables, the Mac is connected via DVI-HDMI. This way I can technically record three things at once, and watch a fourth program, without worrying that some RF signal isnt set to pass-thru (the old TV/VCR on a VCR or the Replay being on or off). This setup works great and with using this 4-way amp I got from Radio Shack, my picture is actually clearer than it was originally straight from the wall doing the RF daisy chain of Wall-VCR-ReplayTV-TV.

Some might think this sort of setup seems excessive, I just find it as the most simplistic in the end result where everything is independant of the other and all components just interface with the TV directly.

Thanks for very detailed explaination. Based on your setup it seems to me that you are using cable card (as there is no mention of HD cablebox). If that is case I'll follow your setup as it makes more sense. Could you please post what kind of powered splitter you are using to get cable from wall and split it between various sources (if you have url it would be great).
post #186 of 1354 Old 11-03-2005, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks for very detailed explaination. Based on your setup it seems to me that you are using cable card (as there is no mention of HD cablebox). If that is case I'll follow your setup as it makes more sense. Could you please post what kind of powered splitter you are using to get cable from wall and split it between various sources (if you have url it would be great).

Here is the url of the splitter I use:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

I actually do not use a CableCARD, I just pick up the networks in the clear, if I had a CableCARD, I would just plug it in and it would just complement my setup.
post #187 of 1354 Old 11-03-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:

you do understand that svideo cannot carry HD video

you will need to do either using an HD box

use the coax from wall to HD box then svideo to Tivo for recordings
AND component or DVI/HDMI from cable box to TV for HD broadcast

then when using cable card
you would use coax from wall to splitter then from splitter to TV and to Tivo
then from Tivo to TV via component

you will have to use two inputs on your TV in your setup cause Tivo cannot record HD and via svideo is not HD capable nor does it have its own cable card with aTSC tuner

you will have to use the Tivo simply for 480i recording either from digital cable when using a Hd cable box or recording from analogue cable when using cable card
post #188 of 1354 Old 11-03-2005, 06:39 PM

Quote:

I would take the cable from the wall, put it into an Amp/3-way Splitter (powered). Feed one into the TV directly into the Cable input, one into the HD Cable Box, and one into the Tivo. Now, connect the HD cable box to the TV via Component Cables or HDMI and connect the box to the Tivo using the S-Video as you already do.

why would you connect the coax from the wall to Tivo and svideo from cable box to Tivo

you only need one or the other

if you have a cable box, I would use svideo

if Tivo will setup multiple inputs sources then this may be an option since then you could record analogue cable and then still change channels on your cable box box
but I thought Tivos were limited to one source for recording

Quote:

certainly sounds like the REplay boxes can have multiple recoding sources though
and it is certainly not excessive, making the best use of your components IMO
post #189 of 1354 Old 11-03-2005, 06:46 PM

Quote:

why would you connect the coax from the wall to Tivo and svideo from cable box to Tivo

you only need one or the other

if you have a cable box, I would use svideo

if Tivo will setup multiple inputs sources then this may be an option since then you could record analogue cable and then still change channels on your cable box box
but I thought Tivos were limited to one source for recording

certainly sounds like the REplay boxes can have multiple recoding sources though
and it is certainly not excessive, making the best use of your components IMO

Tivos can handle multiple inputs as well.
post #190 of 1354 Old 11-04-2005, 07:10 PM

One more question for moving away from HD cable box to Cable Card. When I plugin HD cable box using DVI to HDMI adapter to my TV I get 1080i for HD channels. But when I pass it thru my Tivo (Toshiba RS-TX20) I get only 480p. This raises question if I use cable card instead of HDTV box and directly plug RF-in from wall to back of TV (channel 3), will it still allow me to see HD channels in 1080i ?

Also what is best DVD player to watch DVD in 1080i or 720p on 30sx955 ?
post #191 of 1354 Old 11-04-2005, 07:50 PM

Quote:

One more question for moving away from HD cable box to Cable Card. When I plugin HD cable box using DVI to HDMI adapter to my TV I get 1080i for HD channels. But when I pass it thru my Tivo (Toshiba RS-TX20) I get only 480p. This raises question if I use cable card instead of HDTV box and directly plug RF-in from wall to back of TV (channel 3), will it still allow me to see HD channels in 1080i ?

you did not read any of my post did you???

I answered this already
svideo cannot capture HD, period !!!

the TV has a HD tuner which can tune digital cable and the cable card decrypts the cable for you

Quote:

Also what is best DVD player to watch DVD in 1080i or 720p on 30sx955 ?

1080i, the Sony does not display 720p at all
all 720p sources are converted to 1080i
when the TV displays 720p thats the source resolution
post #192 of 1354 Old 11-04-2005, 09:07 PM

I just picked up a 30XS955, but after talking with my cable provider, it looks like the whole purpose of getting an HDTV w/ CableCard is moot.

The Cablevision rep said that I will not be able to pick up HD channels if I opt for the CC over the cable box. Can anyone confirm the veracity of this?
post #193 of 1354 Old 11-04-2005, 09:17 PM

i have the 30xs955, and am successfully using the following setup:

- cable line in from wall into two-way splitter
- one line from there goes directly to tv, where it is decoded by CableCard
- the second line goes to cablebox
- cablebox feeds tivo (via coax)
- tivo feeds into tv via svideo

i opted not to get an HD cablebox, since the sole purpose of the box is to feed my tivo, which can't use hd signals anyway.

my cablecard brings in all of the hd channels my provider (rcn boston) offers, and the SD channels look a little better than a neighbor's (also with a 30xs955) who uses their HD cable box.

im not well-versed enough about cablecard standards from provider to provider to know if CableVision allows cablecards to decode HD signals... but a) they should, and b) most techs don't know squat about cablecards yet, so I wouldn't believe any of them until I tried it out myself. I see no reason why a provider wouldn't let the HD signals pass through the cablecard... maybe your tech didn't know the 30xs955 has a built in hd tuner?
post #194 of 1354 Old 11-05-2005, 06:06 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. Eagle View Post

I just picked up a 30XS955, but after talking with my cable provider, it looks like the whole purpose of getting an HDTV w/ CableCard is moot.

The Cablevision rep said that I will not be able to pick up HD channels if I opt for the CC over the cable box. Can anyone confirm the veracity of this?

That makes no sense whatsoever. The rep is either clueless about what the CC does, or he/she didn't understand that your television has an HD tuner.

The whole point of the cable card is to decode encrypted digital channels, including HD channels. I'd call back and talk to a different rep.

-

I just took my VT60 out of the box and started watching it. Is that ok?
post #195 of 1354 Old 11-05-2005, 06:18 AM

Quote:

you did not read any of my post did you???

I answered this already
svideo cannot capture HD, period !!!

the TV has a HD tuner which can tune digital cable and the cable card decrypts the cable for you

1080i, the Sony does not display 720p at all
all 720p sources are converted to 1080i
when the TV displays 720p thats the source resolution

Hey I did read your post and after that only I bought DVI to HDMI cable to take advantage of true HD as you mentioned. But still you've not answered my questions
1) If I use cablecard, at that time I've cable coming in from wall into splitter. From splitter one cable will go directly into TV, one will go into Tivo DVD recorder and one will go for my broadband internet. By using this setup will I still be able to get 1080i on my TV for HD channels or it will drop to 480i ?

Also is there any setting in 30xs955 which can force all incoming signals to display in 1080i ?

2) which is best DVD player to use with 30SX955 ? I've read somewhere on this forum that all up-conveting DVD players are not worth it, it is more of a hype.
post #196 of 1354 Old 11-05-2005, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2) which is best DVD player to use with 30SX955 ? I've read somewhere on this forum that all up-conveting DVD players are not worth it, it is more of a hype.

Linn Unidisc 1.1

JohnG
post #197 of 1354 Old 11-05-2005, 06:48 AM

Quote:

Linn Unidisc 1.1

$11,000 for a DVD player!! Holy crap! That doesn't seem possible.
post #198 of 1354 Old 11-05-2005, 06:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

They say the reason to go cable card (aside from "one-wire" aesthetics) is that it uses the tv's tuner, which is usually better than the cable box, thus you get better PQ.

The reason not to is that cablecard is one-way only, so no tv guide and no PPV/on-demand.

I am using the QAM tuner w/o cable card. It is picking up all my locals in HD, albiet in places other than where comcast would place them in their listing (channel 87.1 vs 803 for example). I just programed them into my favorites, and it works good. I like the PQ, but don't have a box, so can't say if it would be better or worse.
post #199 of 1354 Old 11-05-2005, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post

and it would be obsolete within year when HD and Blue-ray makes its entry in market.
post #200 of 1354 Old 11-05-2005, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post

Do you want the "best" or an also ran?

JohnG
post #201 of 1354 Old 11-05-2005, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and it would be obsolete within year when HD and Blue-ray makes its entry in market.

Surely you are joking and simply left off the smiley.

I guess the 10 billion DVDs currently sold are just going to vaporize once the first HD/Blue-ray DVD hits the market just like all the VCR tapes did when the first DVD was sold.

JohnG
post #202 of 1354 Old 11-05-2005, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGZ28 View Post

Surely you are joking and simply left off the smiley.

I guess the 10 billion DVDs currently sold are just going to vaporize once the first HD/Blue-ray DVD hits the market just like all the VCR tapes did when the first DVD was sold.

post #203 of 1354 Old 11-05-2005, 11:20 AM

Any idea how good is Toshiba's RD-KX50 DVD recorder ? It does HD up-coversion for all sources. Here is link at bestbuy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1122654250373
post #204 of 1354 Old 11-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Can this be used like a PC monitor? If so, what resolution(s)? I was considering the Samsung Slimfit, but I kept reading that it had low resolution and the Sony was better.

What is the difference between this set and the XBR (besides the $$$)?
post #205 of 1354 Old 11-05-2005, 05:00 PM

Add Me To The List Of Owners!!!11

BB of Rego Park had 1 display unit left, no box, with remote. I paid like others did the 760 after the 15% coupon. thank you everyone.

Only 2 problems getting the tv in my apt was havoc.

the second problem. My room is TO SMALL FOR THE TV!!!!11

I am having to move around furniture and now have to look for a new tv stand as i didnt realize my current tv stand is only 17 inches deep and the tv is 24 inches deep!!!!!11

btw hooked the tv up with component cables to the hdcable and oh boy was i loving watching the news since that was the only thing on besides college football

thank you EVERYONE in this thread and the others who personally told me to scan the BB's for the tv. it is going to be a pleasure.
post #206 of 1354 Old 11-05-2005, 06:41 PM

If you have access to any tools just cut a piece of plywood the shape of the tv and screw it down if you dont care about the stand, you will be fine because you probably have notice that there is very little weight in the rear of the tv
post #207 of 1354 Old 11-05-2005, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsueychris View Post

Add Me To The List Of Owners!!!11

BB of Rego Park had 1 display unit left, no box, with remote. I paid like others did the 760 after the 15% coupon. thank you everyone.

Only 2 problems getting the tv in my apt was havoc.

the second problem. My room is TO SMALL FOR THE TV!!!!11

I am having to move around furniture and now have to look for a new tv stand as i didnt realize my current tv stand is only 17 inches deep and the tv is 24 inches deep!!!!!11

btw hooked the tv up with component cables to the hdcable and oh boy was i loving watching the news since that was the only thing on besides college football

thank you EVERYONE in this thread and the others who personally told me to scan the BB's for the tv. it is going to be a pleasure.

I think you guys might need to give BestBuy one more visit. Because if you by display unit you get automatically 10% OFF and on top of that you can use 15% OFF coupon so this way your price should be 686 instead of 700+.
post #208 of 1354 Old 11-06-2005, 12:21 AM

Quote:

By using this setup will I still be able to get 1080i on my TV for HD channels or it will drop to 480i ?

yes, of course

using the splitter will not convert anything

Quote:

Also is there any setting in 30xs955 which can force all incoming signals to display in 1080i ?

using an external scaler, or using a PC as a scaler

otherwise NO

the Sony is setup pretty well
it will display 480p or 960i for 480i sources
and 480p for 480p and then 1080i for 720p or 1080i

Quote:

Can this be used like a PC monitor? If so, what resolution(s)? I was considering the Samsung Slimfit, but I kept reading that it had low resolution and the Sony was better.

the resolution has nothing to do with what resolution inputs it takes
and no CRT HDTVs are not replacements for PC monitors IMO

the only progressive resolution this TVs displays is 480p
which is 4x3 and only 720x480p or 640x480p

everything else is displayed at an interlaced resolution of 1080i
which means flicker since only half of the horizontal lines are displayed at once

Quote:

What is the difference between this set and the XBR (besides the $$$)?

the XBR only comes in 34"
it has firewire, twin view, and adjustable DRC
post #209 of 1354 Old 11-06-2005, 09:42 AM

Quote:

I think you guys might need to give BestBuy one more visit. Because if you by display unit you get automatically 10% OFF and on top of that you can use 15% OFF coupon so this way your price should be 686 instead of 700+.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im going to have to go back this week and complain! Thank you :d I guess im buying the harmony remote now
the guy was puzzled with my 15% coupon so him "forgetting" that i bought the display would make sense.
post #210 of 1354 Old 11-06-2005, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG7895 View Post

If you have access to any tools just cut a piece of plywood the shape of the tv and screw it down if you dont care about the stand, you will be fine because you probably have notice that there is very little weight in the rear of the tv

That is what I plan to do this coming week figureing re-enforcing the unit was the key.

Thanks for the comment, lets me know im on the right track tog etting set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page