Closed Thread

post #301 of 306 Old 12-06-2004, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by montreal
It does not discard half the fields. It displays 540p video at 60 fps, but each frame is an average of the current and the previously received half frames.
Why do they do that? Is there an advantage to doing that versus just displaying each full original field every 1/60th of a second? Or is the latter impossible due to some technical limitation?

Perhaps I'm not thinking "analog enough" to understand this correctly, but it seems that the best way to display 1080i on a display capable of displaying only 540 lines would be to display the fields progressively at 60Hz. Sure, that'd be sacrificing vertical resolution for temporal resolution, but since the display can't actually handle the full vertical resolution anyway... that'd be as good as it can get, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 306 Old 12-07-2004, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zambelli
Why do they do that? Is there an advantage to doing that versus just displaying each full original field every 1/60th of a second? Or is the latter impossible due to some technical limitation?

Perhaps I'm not thinking "analog enough" to understand this correctly, but it seems that the best way to display 1080i on a display capable of displaying only 540 lines would be to display the fields progressively at 60Hz. Sure, that'd be sacrificing vertical resolution for temporal resolution, but since the display can't actually handle the full vertical resolution anyway... that'd be as good as it can get, right?
In both cases 540p vs 1080i, the exact same number of lines are delivered to the screen per 60th of a second, so there is no technical reason why this TV can't scan 1080i lines. This would be a problem if the vertical pitch of the Toshiba's mask caused a moire pattern with 1080 unique line positions, but I suspect that there is no problem here.

Perhaps the reason the Toshiba is fixed at 540p is due to the fact there are lots of 720p broadcasts, and if one had to chose a native resolution that was a compromise between 720p and 1080i, 540p would be an intelligent choice.

For 1080i broadcasts, with the Toshiba displaying at 540p and the Sony displaying at 1080i, there is not going to be a large difference since we are getting 540 line frames per 60th second where the content (on the Toshiba) and line positioning (on the Sony) are changing ever so slightly from frame to frame.

For 720p broadcasts, the Toshiba is simply rescaling but maintaining the same cadence between the input frame and the displayed frame.
Alternately, when the Sony receives 720p, we have the same amount of scaling, but we are artificially forcing the odd number frames to be jumping down a half line thickness because we are creating an interlaced image. Doing this may cause some motion artifacts on the Sony that would not be visible on the Toshiba.
post #303 of 306 Old 12-12-2004, 01:23 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally posted by subysouth
You know, I think the new Panny widescreen 30" set is using a slot mask screen.

Since we have been talking so much about the different screen techs I have been looking at them closer in the stores. I think at least the 30" Panny is using a slot mask screen.
I stand corrected. Took a look at the Pannie 30" at CC today, and it did indeed appear to be a slot mask as you said.

ADU
post #304 of 306 Old 08-02-2005, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
first of all, stop using the word pixel when referring to a crt set, its just noobish. Second of all just about all of you post a novel of useless information in each post and its enough to skip right over it. Third, crts dont usually publish resolution in its specs and no one really knows the resolution for the set, so can we lay this to rest. whoever said crt offers the best pq to date evidently hasnt explored other options. CRT will never match lcd as far as resolution and detail go.
post #305 of 306 Old 08-02-2005, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd
first of all, stop using the word pixel when referring to a crt set, its just noobish. Second of all just about all of you post a novel of useless information in each post and its enough to skip right over it. Third, crts dont usually publish resolution in its specs and no one really knows the resolution for the set, so can we lay this to rest. whoever said crt offers the best pq to date evidently hasnt explored other options. CRT will never match lcd as far as resolution and detail go.
Speaking of looking like a noob and writing useless (and FALSE) information...

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #306 of 306 Old 08-02-2005, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
Speaking of looking like a noob and writing useless (and FALSE) information...
AMEN!
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page