Questions about tweaking my Toshiba 34hfx84 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 12-31-2004, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just got this set after reading here about the various 34" wide-screens that are close to what I can afford ;)
Looks very nice, geometry is pretty close, not perfect but I can live with it for now, color seems to be about the way I like it and is almost identical to my old Panny 27" SD set that I have loved for all these years.
I noticed the white lettering on most scrolls and things seems to be blooming like it's out of focus a bit, turned down the brightness a bunch and backed off the contrast and its a bit better but still kinda soft/furry around the edges, this is mostly with regular analog channels so maybe this is just the way it works out after having a normal non hd set all these years. Turning on SVM to high cleans up the edges a lot so thats how I'm running it for now and I leave the sharpness at 50 the way it came.
So is this what everyone else sees with their sets or do I need to get into service mode and see if there is a focus adjustment while I'm tweaking. Once your away from it of course the lettering isn't as noticeable and it does look better from a dvd progressive input but still a bit soft. I believe I have the sequence to get into service mode, I just don't know if it going to have focus in there or if the back needs to come open to do a adjustment, If so I spose I could get a tech out to tweak that.
Anyways any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-31-2004, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i think regular analog broadcast is suppose to look soft since its quality isn't that good. Turning up SVM to me is just a fake edge enhancement that fools your eyes into thinking it makes it look better.

Most HDTV set don't do a good job of SD 480i quality compare analog NTSC...

In my opinion, adjust the focus helps a lot, but that require opening the back of the tv and tweak the knob...which i didn't dare do it to my hdtv monitor...its heavy, big, and expensive...what if i mess up....

if you plan on adjusting the focus, here are some advices. Turn the SVM to off and any other edge enhancements to off. Use sort sort of test pattern to adjust the focus to its optimal...

two wrongs don't make a right, it makes an even.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-31-2004, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I kinda figured about turning off all that junk for focus adjustment.
I did get the service mode figured out and poked around, the set has a bunch of settings and most are pretty cryptic, some I understand so I didn't change anything, it seems you can tweak anything but focus, including 3 levels of SVM.
Your right, we could barely lift the set onto it's shelf and I don't want to have it tip off as I try to get it open to adjust the focus pot on the flyback ;) I used to fix TV's as a money making hobby, replaced CRT's and everything.
From my couch it looks great, so for now I think I'm just going to enjoy it and let it burn in some, I also think you right about the analog looking softer because of the reduced resolution it's trying to upscale.
If it really bugs me I'll have a service tech out under warranty probably, it does look sharper on my normal non HD cable with SVM on. My dvd's are another matter as they're at 480 so better resolution to begin with. I'm really starting to like the picture quality and the stretch modes look good to me :D
post #4 of 23 Old 01-01-2005, 08:05 PM

I have been thinking about purchasing this TV as well as a JVC unit. This set appears to be ahead due to HDMI connections and what would appear to be "newer" technology.

How is the overall geometry of the unit? that seems to be the only issue that Tosh has been having with these sets.

Where did you buy it? I can't seem to find any place with stock.

Thanks,

Rlm
post #5 of 23 Old 01-02-2005, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Geometry mow seems to be almost perfect and I have been using the full mode with everything as it seems to stretch pretty well with SD without looking too bad at all. I am beginning to believe my focus setting is a bit off as the sets lettering still looks a bit soft but at any normal distance, especially with my movies upping to 540 it looks just great. As I said I'll probably have a tech out to pull the back and tweak it and see if it cranks any tighter, other then that its doing great and the sound is nice too with the mini sub built in. I set it up with the THX thing on a couple of my disks and now the black level and color are right where I like it so far, still playing around and trying things but I think it's real close now.
You can adjust each and every input individually so everything looks right or as close as it can.
I'm in Portland Oregon and here Home Video Library and Video Only carry it for the same price. Home Video gave me a smokin deal because I have dealt with them for many years and send everyone I know there because they have fair prices and stand behind things if there's a problem.
I haven't noticed any of the problems others have noted so far, my set is US made and a November build.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Can you provide some details on entering service mode? I am getting a 34hf84, which is similar, and was hoping to be able to tweak it when it arrives.. The procedure is probably fairly similar.

Thanks.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-02-2005, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Try here among others http://www.fixyourowntv.com/menutoshiba.html They also sell tv repair like manuals they make themselves with regular info on the setup parameters and things so you know what to tweak and why. I haven't ordered from them but the idea sounds good and prices seem fair.
If you do go into the service menu write down everything before you adjust it, that way if you mess up you can get it back to normal as everything is mostly in HEX values and some of it is labeled so you don't have a clue what it does.
I did a total reset on my little 20" Toshiba and I would have been in big trouble if I hadn't write all the values down first to fix it again.
The big sets have about 130 things :eek: so get a big sheet and a good pencil ;)
post #8 of 23 Old 01-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the link...

BTW, how do you like your Toshiba? I have been reading some of the other posts on the 30hfx84 and am a little concerned by the number of "this tv really SUCKS, it's the worst HDTV I ever saw, Toshiba QA is awefull", etc.. types of posts. Hopefully, this model does not suck? I still have time to cancel my order..
post #9 of 23 Old 01-02-2005, 07:18 PM

if you compare sony xbr960 or xs955 over tosh, i think sony provides better picture, and possibly more accurate color than toshiba. The Sony have this superfine pitch, the only drawback i can think of sony hdtv is its shadow mask. I don't like it, its reduce contrast ratio.

The Toshiba doesn't have shadow mask, but I am concern about its build quality and if its possible to put a centere speaker on top of it...

two wrongs don't make a right, it makes an even.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-02-2005, 08:12 PM

Just got my 34HF84, not the HFX...So far I like it a lot. I am no expert, but I like the picture.

Mine does have a pproblem with one of the composit inputs, no picture. So we will see how BestBuy/Toshiba handle it.

What is the best way to test a set like this out?

maverick

maverick@infionline.net
post #11 of 23 Old 01-02-2005, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by potus

BTW, how do you like your Toshiba?
So far my one and only complaint is the soft focus, especially on sd TV. Might just be the upconversion but it just looks like it's not right on the money but close.
The linearity is fine, color, black level, adjustability all are good so far. The sound is great and the black around the tube helps break it up so it blends in and isn't as distracting. I could just open it up myself but it's under warranty so I think I'll just get a tech out to tweak it and be done.
At one of the stores I compared this set and the equivilent Panasonic and I thought this set had a finer crisper HD picture, plus it can take 720, has 2 HDMI inputs and better overall tweakability. I didn't have a SD picture running on any of the sets so I couldn't compare what it looks like now to then, but the upconversion is very smooth with hardly any artifacts at 1080, and looks sharper when I cranked up the SVM to high.
The Sony might have looked better but it is quite a bit more so in my budget I felt this was the best set I could get.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-04-2005, 05:49 PM

Quality is always an issue. Everything is so complex now. The day of the twenty year old TV is over. With that said, barring RCA and a few off brands, quality is roughly the same. We mostly see the problems on these links. I ran a customer service dept. for years. My techs, who only saw the the problems would deride a product which actually only had a 4 percent failure rate. Why would they see the other 96 percent? The other attributes which comprise the "best TV" are subjective and personal. I have a very small living room and do love CRT. I appreciate Toshiba's stretch modes. audio means nothing to me. I have a fine audio system. I do not want to pay for a tuner I wont use. I use my cable tuner replete w/dvr for 8 bucks a month. The XBR 960 does give a slightly more defined picture but is not 900 bucks better, so for me, for my needs, the Tosh 34HF84 is the "best TV". If you carefully consider your needs and bottom line price, you will end up with whatever your "best TV" is.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alalk
Quality is always an issue. Everything is so complex now. The day of the twenty year old TV is over. With that said, barring RCA and a few off brands, quality is roughly the same. We mostly see the problems on these links. I ran a customer service dept. for years. My techs, who only saw the the problems would deride a product which actually only had a 4 percent failure rate. Why would they see the other 96 percent?
This all makes perfect sense, however, in the case of these Toshiba HF84s, there have been MULTIPLE cases reported here where people had to go through MULTIPLE sets to get a good one. If the failure rate is only 4%, the chances of someone getting TWO bad ones should be extremely small. But we have multiple reports of just this happening. This leads me to believe that in this case, the quality actually IS below average. I would rather not take the risk, in spite of the fact that "on paper" this set is almost a perfect fit for what I need.
post #14 of 23 Old 01-04-2005, 07:16 PM

not sure what you are referring to. I know that early run 34hf84's could have been tweaked better for geometry (an issue with ANY CRT). Toshiba, while denying any problem (as they all do) seems to have addressed this. There also seems to be an issue w/matching them up to comcast tuners. But, as I said, it's all up to you. Toshiba may well not be your "best" TV. I will say that I am displeased w/quality in general in the consumer electronics industry. That four percent quote I gave you was from long ago NOBODY has that anymore unless you get into the big bucks. This trend will continue until there is some sort of consumer revolution such as with American autos some years ago. Look how their quality improved when it had to. Anyway you are quite right. You should not buy anything you are uncomfortable with.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-04-2005, 08:04 PM

Just picked mine up last week for $1299 +Tax.
Is that High? Low? Thanks
post #16 of 23 Old 01-04-2005, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mine was 1225 delivered, 1399 is pretty much going rate, 1500 list. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal as long as it was the X cinema series one like mine.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-05-2005, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stocktrader
Just picked mine up last week for $1299 +Tax.
Is that High? Low? Thanks

Where was that from? the best price I have gotten so far is $1440 delivered from Onecall and they don't have stock currently.
post #18 of 23 Old 01-05-2005, 07:10 AM

PC Richard (Only AUTHORIZED dealer for this model in my area).
And the ACTUAL price paid was 1279.00
post #19 of 23 Old 01-05-2005, 08:41 AM

Quote:
PC Richard (Only AUTHORIZED dealer for this model in my area).
And the ACTUAL price paid was 1279.00
I have heard of them, but I didn't think they carried the 34HFX84. I'll have to give them a call then.

thanks
post #20 of 23 Old 01-05-2005, 08:48 AM

Toshiba retail locator for the HFX series.

I had a BAD experience with one of the locations and a great one with another. If your in my neck of the woods, I'll pass on the details.
post #21 of 23 Old 01-05-2005, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Toshiba retail locator for the HFX series.

I had a BAD experience with one of the locations and a great one with another. If your in my neck of the woods, I'll pass on the details.

I live in CT and work in westchester, but willing to drive to buy this thing.

any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
post #22 of 23 Old 01-13-2005, 05:20 PM

don't know how good locater is in general, but the store listed in NH, though not only good store in NH selling Toshiba, is very reputable store
post #23 of 23 Old 01-14-2005, 08:22 PM

Live in Connecticut? Did you try Bernies? They are a Toshiba dealer and I have seen the hfx tvs in their stores in the past.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page