Tweaking Tips For SONY Owners!!! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 258 Old 03-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
jjmilo: > SYSM is described as SYSTEM: Signal Bandwidth Setting and MIDE is described as MID enhancement setting.

I'm reluctant to believe that SYSM is merely bandwidth in the XS955. If you set it to 2 or 1 (1 is max), then set the Sharpness slider to minimum, you see in, say, cartoon-animated dark lines against light background the double-line effect or "ghosting" that JoeKing was troubled by. If set to 2, the double lines are closer together. If set to 3 (flat), there are *no* double lines. If set to 3 and Sharpness is returned to, say, 31, the double lines are "filled in" and completely masked. The edges of the lines are mighty sharp, indeed, but are the lines themselves now too thick? Big enhancement, indeed!

I suspect this is complex digital signal processing, and we are fooling with one of its factors that doesn't exactly translate to analog "bandwidth." I would like to assure JoeKing that there are no lasting effects of changing SYSM, as the double-line effect is visible only when Sharpness is minimum and completely reversible. (He wondered about a "circuit change" that he might have inadvertently brought about.)

I think I prefer, if I am to have any sharpness, um, *encouragement,* is to do it with the MIDE setting. Numbers from 13-19, for example, have an increasing effect on very fine detail, and for DVDs, setting it to 21-23 (21 is super-subtle) is good. SYSM seems about as subtle as a sledgehammer! I'll leave it at 3 for Pro mode, thanks.

Wonder what "MID" stands for. Matrix - Image Decoding? Display? Destruction?

KenTech
"We all get smart slowly."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 258 Old 03-10-2005, 06:25 AM

Liked: 10
Help Please--- SA8300 HD & Sony 30HS420

I just hooked up my new 8300 th the 420 using the component cables and when viewing the output, there is no blue. My DVD player works fine using the 2nd set of component inputs on the TV. All channels look good using S-video.

Is there some setting I need to use to tweak the component input colors? If so, how do I access it?

Thanks.
post #93 of 258 Old 03-10-2005, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Generally i would leave the MIDE and SYSM settings at default, they look best at these levels. fooling with mide canm ake the picture look really grainy and too sharp.
post #94 of 258 Old 03-10-2005, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

MAB2005

Try your 8300 with your DVD cables. Try your DVD on the other component inputs. You may be able to narrow your problem down to cables or the 8300. I don't believe there are any color related service menu items that allow independent control of component inputs.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #95 of 258 Old 03-10-2005, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

MID = Multi Image Driver (From my user's manual)

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #96 of 258 Old 03-10-2005, 03:50 PM

Liked: 19
Regarding the MIDE and SYSM settings, I think it's best to leave the SYSM alone.
It was my understanding that the MIDE is just a lookup table number that refers to a particular picture mode (std, vivid etc.) and the input/type of signal on that input.
See the attached pages from 32HS420 Service manual and I think you will see what I mean. The MIDE codes are sequential starting with pro mode thru Vivid. Each picture mode/input/signal type has it's own MIDE code.
I think that if you change the MIDE, it sets all the codes under 2170-P3 for that picture mode/input/signal type to the same as what was originally under that MIDE code. This is why there is no logic to changing the MIDE setting by itself.
LTLV has the most effect on artificial edge enhance (of course everyone turns off velocity modulation in the user menu right) !!!
I don't have my list with me but I think I set LTLV to 1 for best results.
I did not like the way Sony has preset values for the 4 picture modes (even if the user menu setting are the same) so I tried to set all 4 to the same numbers once I settled on what worked best in Pro mode. After that I was able see very little difference between pic modes with all user menu settings equal !!!

Hope this helps ??

pages from 32hs420service_codes (4).zip 28.197265625k . file

F8500 floating blacks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #97 of 258 Old 03-10-2005, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

My guess on the MIDE issue, based upon my reading of the 34HS510 service manual.

The service menu contains a look-up table under the category MID5 with the item POP as the reference number. The value for POP is 0-56. Each POP value has 18 other values prefaced with an M associated with it.

The 2170P_3 service menu category has a mode/input/type table which includes MIDE. MIDE has values from 0 to 56 by service manual default. The selection of MIDE values point to the MID5/POP entry and invokes the 18 other MID5 values.

In a nutshell, each possible value of MIDE has an associated MID5/POP entry which is specifically tailored and assigned to each mode/input/type.

I would think that the MIDE value for a particular mode/input/type should be left at default and the 18 appropriate MID5/POP M(items) could be adjusted for positive results.

A few of the spreadsheets floating around claim the MID5 parameters are associated with horizontal and vertical enhancements. This supports my guess.

Raoul

post #98 of 258 Old 03-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

todd95008, thank you for posting the pages from the HS510 manual. Is this just the regular service manual for this model? Would you be willing to post more of the pages with the service-code charts? Many of them are common with other sets, and studying them would add data points to the general knowledge. I keep reading opinions that one can purchase a complete service manual and still not get an adequate service-code documentation.

The intelligent speculation about the structure of the MIDE tables is quite helpful, especially when one reads severl accounts at once. The truth will out!

CrocHunter, I think the SYSM=1 or 0 setting adds a whole package of obnoxious, coarse, texture-robbing enhancements, the SYSM=2 less so. The effects are not natural, whereas choosing a MIDE setting that enhances small detail "just right" looks comletely natural at a decent, even clode, viewing distance. That ghosting problem with SYSM = 1 gives it all away. My prerference is to set it to SYSM=3 (off), and get any enhancements from elsewhere.

KenTech
post #99 of 258 Old 03-11-2005, 11:12 AM

This table is from the regular HS420 service manual.
I will post the entire service codes from this manual !!!

I'll have to check my settings and see if Raoul's theory on the MIDE & POP is correct. In other words, if the MIDE data for mode/input/type is the same as the POP data ??? This would explain why I still have more edge enhancements with vivid & Std modes despite all user menu & SM settings being the same ?? I never changed anything in MID5 !!

Todd

32hs420service_codes (4).zip 172.716796875k . file

F8500 floating blacks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #100 of 258 Old 03-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

todd95008, never mind. I found a complete PDF copy of the HS510 manual and answered my own questions. Yes, there are charts of the service code defaults. There are methods for setting some of the codes, particularly the deflection and convergencs, demystifying much of this stuff. But the codes are not described, just charted with default values. But a lot can be inferred from studying the charts.

Especially for the adventuresome are the instructions for the difficult vertical convergance adjustments (magnets and purity-magnet rings) and main beam-landing (deflection-yoke position).

I've done all this stuff before, and I have a slight problem with my nearly-perfect 36XS955 that will likely be solved by sliding the yoke a little. One gets to be very clever in marking the original positions of these pieces with sharpies, white-out liquids, and nail polish! Those who are electricity-challenged shouldn't get anywhere near this! (My whole life has been technical-electrical-electronic.)

Can I post the file here? Does anyone know of a source of the manual for XBR and XS-series sets?

KenTech
post #101 of 258 Old 03-11-2005, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
KenTech said:I found a complete PDF copy of the HS510 manual...
With that encouragement, and the mention of "HS510" as the tag, I googled "service manual" pdf hs420 and found this German link to an HS420 PDF. It's downloading now.

Well, it's not in German, but it's not about any Sony TV, either. It's about the NexBlade HS420 series of blade servers.

So where is a Sony HS420 service manual?

And how does one enter the Sony HS420 service menu?

Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #102 of 258 Old 03-11-2005, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I was able to get into (what looked like) the SM on my KV-30HS420: With the TV set powered down, I pressed [Display] [5] [Vol+] [Power] with all deliberate speed, and when the screen lit up there were a couple of text lines at the top and, at the bottom, two lines that contained mostly 0's and 1's.

Pressing several different buttons on the remote had no effect. Eventually I discovered that pressing the number buttons changed the display. Pressing too many of the number buttons screwed up the display raster something awful, but powering off and then on fixed it.

What is the secret handshake? (That is, what digits do what?) And what are the binary strings for?

Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #103 of 258 Old 03-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

I have been perusing the MID5 matrix for MIDE/POP, and I mostly agree with Raoul. I'll add this: The POP settings are temporary, and the MIDE settings "stick." Maybe that's all. One can get to a specific column in the table by changing either MIDE or POP, but it wold be better to experiment with POP as a try-and-see procedure, as it won't screw up your MIDE choice for a specific input. I'll confirm this later.

I would very much like to understand some of the letter symbols. Since the codes don't exceed four characters, some letters have to do multiple duty, I think. B means "blue" in one place, "bow" in another.

In many places in a color context, Y = lumenence, C = color. RGB are obvious. H and V could mean hue and value, but in many places it clearly means horizontal and vertical. U = user. B, C, and H are brightness, color, and hue, referring to sliders.

But what is the difference between OF or O = offset and S = sub-? Sub-brightness is usually the setting for a control adjusted to minimum. So SBRT is a independent pedestal for the operation of the Brightness slider. So what is UBOF? And what, for color, are the relationships among UCOF (user color offset), SCOL (sub-color saturation), SCLO (sub-color saturation offset? The charts seem to imply that UCOF is video-mode *and* picture-mode dependent, SCOL is just picture-mode dependent and SCLO is independent. This makes my head hurt, but perhaps this allows one to set up several of these parameters for perfect matching (or differences) among various inputs and picture modes *and* to tweak it so your slider is at 31 when everything seems perfect.

This really is rainy-day obsessive twiddling activity, but it would be nice, if certain equipment pieces are always hooked up the the same inputs, to approximately equalize the brightness, picture, color, and hue among them for centered user sliders.

KenTech
post #104 of 258 Old 03-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

todd: >This table is from the regular HS420 service manual.
I will post the entire service codes from this manual !!!

Ignore my previous comments. Please do! What you have is for an entirely different set, and it would be valuable to see the differences.

KenTech
post #105 of 258 Old 03-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Figuring out the MID5 codes.

Letter 1 is M on all of them. Probably "matrix," but it doesn't matter.
Letter 2 is H or V, likely for horizontal or vertical effect.
The remaining letters are Y, C, R, E, O or L.

Y and C could be luminance and color.

In digital photography, a sharpening effect can be applied with a threshold, below which the effect is zero. Keeps things from getting too grainy. Could this be O for offset? There are YO and CO.

A poster named "andyross" has included in his excellent Excel spreadsheet the descriptions of:

MHLY: "L/E-Horiz Y lo-pass filter coefficient; set to 0.
MVLY: (same for vertical)
MHYL: L/E-H enhance Y clip level Set to 0.

So maybe L is a threshold of some sort and E means edge enhancement/sharpness. So what is R?

I guess the thing to do is compare MHY[R,L,E,O] to see what the effects are on a given video sample (ignoring any "V" codes for now.

The chart I have, BTW, shows the columns for MIDE/POP = 53 thru 56 containing all zeroes. One could experiment freely in these columns without screwing up anything -- but you need to confirm that you are starting with zeroes and that MIDE doesn't go that high. The highest value I see for the HS510 series is MIDE-53 for "twin view," so I would avoid that one and use 56 to be safe.

Method: Set POP to 56, and insert some settings into that column for all 18 codes. Then you can set MIDE to 56 from wherever it was to watch the effect for a while, and revert MIDE to your old setting if it's no good. I will try this.

Anyone else?

KenTech
post #106 of 258 Old 03-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Video Essentials on sale

overstock.com has the Video Essentials DVD for under $15, plus $1 shipping for the month!

KenTech
post #107 of 258 Old 03-11-2005, 05:21 PM

KenTech
Do you have a basis for stating that SYSM = 3 is off. Normal convention, binary, etc. would suggest 0=off.
post #108 of 258 Old 03-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

jjmilo, yes that would make sense. But it appears that, as often as not, "0" in these codes means a default or *normal* setting (if the choices are 0 or 1, particularly) or nothing special at all. Each parameter has to figured on its own.

A bunch of folks have concluded about SYSM that its sharpening effect is maximum at 0 and 1, moderate at 2, and absent at 3. This becomes obvious if you try the settings. Go figure!

Another example: Gamma. One might assume that, as you increase GAMR, GAMB, GAMG from 0 to 7, gamma would increase. It doesn't; it decreases. Mid-tone brightness increases. (Darker midtones = higher gamma.)

Another example: The BLK setting. As you descrease the settings, the blacks come *up* in value.

And: The MIDE settings are completely arbitrary: they point to columns in a 3-D matrix (chart) 56+ columns wide, 18 rows high, and 4 levels deep (for the 4 picture modes). So MIDE has no monotonicity at all!

I think it's best not to assume any correlation between a higher setting and an increased "amount" of an imagined parameter, as you may actually be adjusting a reciprocal parameter -- or the designer of these parameter numbers had no plan in mind at all, except that the variation is usually monotonic (varies in one direction as you change the values in one direction).

KenTech
post #109 of 258 Old 03-12-2005, 06:15 PM

Yes, KenTech and Raoul are correct about the MIDE & POP.
They are the same setting !!!
I checked this last night and sure enough the MIDE number for a particular pic mode/input/type is the same as the POP entry fro that mode/input/type.
Now if we can only figure out what all the 18 MID5 settings (for each POP) are about ???
By the way I checked the MID5 settings Vs the table in service manual for the inputs I use (RF, V1-4, V5/6 480i/480p/1080i) and the defaults do not always match the service manual table. I would suggest that you check your settings & record them before making any changes.
For me, I now satisfied why I always had more sharpness/edge enhancements with the Vivid & Standard modes even though all other settings (except MID5) were the same...

Todd

F8500 floating blacks
post #110 of 258 Old 03-12-2005, 09:20 PM

Kentech
Zero as a default or starting point is certainly a commonly used setting, but this is usually accompanied with the ability to go down as well as up from that point, when it not the minimum or maximum value. It is as if the designers, in the absence of a negative number nomenclature, choose to use the absolute value to represent these numbers. With this scenario 1,2 and 3 would all be less than 0. That would explain your premise. But I chose the zero setting when viewing an HD source. To my eye this setting seemed more natural, less noisy and enhanced than the other values. This is why I concluded 0 to be off.
post #111 of 258 Old 03-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

jjmilo: > Zero as a default or starting point is certainly a commonly used setting [snip]

True, especially when the parameter you are adjusting has some meaning as a multiplier and/or at negative values.

But many of these service-code settings (a) are switches, with an on/off value, or (b) apply some kind of effect for which a negative value has no meaning. I would love to believe that 0 = off throughout, and this seems to be true if we are talking of an optional effect (velocity modulation, say). In all of the VM parameters I have found so far, 0 = off.

But SYSM was likely conceived to have a three *qualitative* settings: sharp peak, broad peak, and flat. I perceive "flat" as "no effect," and so I would design this as a zero. But the designers have arbitrarily made 0 = 1 = sharp, 2 = broad, and 3 = flat. Go figure.

KenTech
post #112 of 258 Old 03-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

2170P-3: LTLV and LTMD (Scope = per picture mode, per video mode)

Together, these parameters can have a large "enhancement" effect of the picture and should be approached conservatively.

LTLV appears to apply a significant amount of velocity modulation, sharpening edges of vertical lines and having almost no effect on fine texture or fine detail. I really don't like it!

LTLV has values from 0 thru 3, and 0 appears to be absolutely OFF, 1-2 adding increasing amounts of VM. This is not real unsharp masking or detail enhancement.

For 480i, LTMD sort of acts like a "switch" for LTLV. It's possible that there is some other more-subtle effect determined by it, but I find that LTMD = 0 enables the above VM, and LTMD = 1 seems to kill all effects from LTLV. Maybe it has some bearing on another parameter.

LTMD = 1 and LTLV = 0 are default for Pro mode on many of these TVs, and Vivid really cranks up LTLV, with LTMD = 0.

That said, the HS420 and HS510 default for Vivid, S-video input, and 480i is LTLV = 3 and LTMD = 1. I don't see much correlation in the chart between LTMD and anything, so I don't pretend to understand it. But that high LTLV is one of the garish enhancements in Vivid mode and is completely off in Pro, as the TV is delivered. (You can, of course, reprogram the modes.)

KenTech
post #113 of 258 Old 03-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

2170p-3: SHF0 (scope = per picture mode, per video mode)

SHF0 (that's f-zero, not oh-F) appears to apply a small amount of unsharp masking for very fine detail, hardly visible on SD material, more visible on DVDs.

SHF0 = applies the effect, and SHF0 = 1 appears to be OFF.

Why do I think this? Because the picture is very slightly shifted to the right at 0, a sign that some kind of time-dependent effect is being applied (in the time domain, rather than the frequency domain. SYSM does this, too, ever more shifting the picture to the right as its value is changed from 3 to 2 to 1). The only way to apply an effect that happens *before* an edge transition is to derive the effect from the luminance signal in real time, then delay the display of the luminance a bit while applying the effect. That delay shifts the picture to the right. I am deducing, then, that the setting that leaves the picture at its leftmost position must be a "no effect" setting. That's all I have to go on for now.

The effect is not obnoxious but very subtle, and it seems to compensate for sharpness losses elsewhere in the signal chain. I like it. For now I have SHF0 set to 0, even for progressive-scan DVD. But wherever I decide that the picture appears to "scratchy," I'll set it to 1, which seems to be OFF.

Anyone have any opinion as to what SHOF does? Sharpness offset? SHOF varies from 0 thru 3 all through the chart for different vodeo and picture modes.

Again, does anyone have an objection to my posting the PDF file of the HS510 service-code charts? They are *extremely* useful and show relationships that can't be seen in the current Excel spreadsheet that's circulating.

KenTech
post #114 of 258 Old 03-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

SHF0 = 0 applies the effect, and SHF0 = 1 appears to be OFF.

(Sorry for the mistyped line)

KenTech
post #115 of 258 Old 03-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Here is what I have. Don't go blind or stay up past your bedtime reading it! Get those colored markers ready.

(PDF file attached.)

36hs510 service codes.pdf 192.2138671875k . file

KenTech
post #116 of 258 Old 03-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

More about the service-code chart

The charts I uploaded in my previous message cover a considerable range of late-model Sony televisions, though the actual values in the individual cells may vary, and some codes are obviously not applicable. Just because it's labeled "KV-36HS510 [etc]" doesn't mean it isn't of great value to folks with much later or higher-end sets.

Example: I have a new 36HS955. I do not have PIP or TwinView, so the entire categories of 2103-1 and -2 do not apply to me, nor do any columns labeled as TwinView or PIP. The series of codes in 2170P-4, nos. 7-12 (UPIC thru UTMP) do not appear in my set's service mode at all.

Any values you might imagine as dependent on the CRT size and design are likely a bit different from this XS510 chart. Some columns in the MID5 table have different defaults for my set, for example, and so I am rigorously recording the original values before I change them.

The chart's true value is in making the relationships among the settings, the video and picture modes, and even among different tables much more obvious. The chart, plus the available excellent Excel spreadsheet, plus the annotations by several folks in the description column of the spreadsheet, make a great place to start.

KenTech
post #117 of 258 Old 03-15-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KenTech
More about the service-code chart

The charts I uploaded in my previous message cover a considerable range of late-model Sony televisions, though the actual values in the individual cells may vary, and some codes are obviously not applicable. Just because it's labeled "KV-36HS510 [etc]" doesn't mean it isn't of great value to folks with much later or higher-end sets.

Same thing is true for the HS420 codes I posted last week !!

Todd

F8500 floating blacks
post #118 of 258 Old 03-18-2005, 10:36 AM

I modified some settings in the service menu and wrote down all the original values when I was in "Full" mode. However by mistake I edited some values in "Wide Zoom" mode and saved it.

Now my "Full" and "Wide Zoom" modes are exactly the same. I lost the screen settings to get the wide view.

Can anyone tell me the default values for it or at least what I need to modify? I guess at this point all I can do is guess how it looked before.
post #119 of 258 Old 03-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Ev01vEd> I modified some settings in the service menu and wrote down all the original values when I was in "Full" mode. However by mistake I edited some values in "Wide Zoom" mode and saved it.
. . .
Can anyone tell me the default values for it or at least what I need to modify? I guess at this point all I can do is guess how it looked before. <

Try the chart I uploaded in a previous message. I went to look at the information I have, and I'd be happy to check out the settings on my TV, but you haven't listed the specific service codes or model set. What do you mean "some settings"?

KenTech
post #120 of 258 Old 03-18-2005, 07:34 PM

It's a KV-30HS420. When I restored all my original defaults I applied them to the "Wide Zoom" mode by mistake. However the settings were the defaults from my "Wide" mode.

Since then I went and adjusted the 2170D-1\\ASPT option which stretches in the horizontal direction.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page