Tweaking Tips For SONY Owners!!! - Page 9 - AVS Forum
First ... 7  8  9
Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays > Tweaking Tips For SONY Owners!!!
miniz's Avatar miniz 01:43 PM 05-10-2005
I've got a new 34XBR960, and I need to learn how to enter and use the service menu. Where can I find a list of what everything means and does, and what settings I change to get the best picture?
Thanks!

KenTech's Avatar KenTech 01:11 PM 05-15-2005
Quote:
Originally posted by miniz
I've got a new 34XBR960, and I need to learn how to enter and use the service menu. Where can I find a list of what everything means and does, and what settings I change to get the best picture?
A series of articles and document postings are at

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

Service data for your exact set are there in one of the later postings.
KenTech's Avatar KenTech 01:20 PM 05-15-2005
Quote:
Originally posted by LeRoyK
When I zoom the whole image, I would prefer to see the same horizontal cropping on the image now filling the screen, but I get much more horizontal cropping of the image than I would like.

I tried adjusting HPOS and HSIZ while in that mode with no satisfaction. It appears that the source selection is not altered by those two registers.

I am getting good at backing out without saving my changes, any guesses?
This question has irked me, too! I have searched the codes high and low for something or a trick that will control the width of the Zoom, but to no avail. It seems that horizontal size and position are set in one place, and if you tinker with it for making a zoomed HD-4:3 image fill the screen, you will screw up the width and position for the normal views. Meanwhile it's *easy* to adjust the height of that same zoom!

I had hoped it was an error in the charts, so I experimented anyway. Nope! The Zoom settings are not remembered separate from the Full/compressed settings. Phooey!

If anyone comes up with any ideas, I, too, would love to hear about it.

Dude, looks like you're brave enough to experiment a bit with service codes! Please post discoveries when you find them. There's precious little of that going on here or at agoraquest.com, to my disappointment.
KenTech's Avatar KenTech 03:30 PM 05-15-2005
ANNOUNCEMENT - I've added another article to the Sony Service Codes thread, 11 - Improving the Audio.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=2
CrocHunter's Avatar CrocHunter 01:16 AM 05-16-2005
Yeah i've tried myself to alter the "Widezoom" stretchmode to make it a little less stretched for 4:3 material.But you can't change the vertical height or else it will screw up the other inputs.

However you can adjust the horizontal size and it won't screw up the rest of the modes since it's seperate from the rest.Mine HSIZ was set at 47 for the widezoom stretch mode.
DSperber's Avatar DSperber 06:14 AM 05-16-2005
Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Rain
RYR - 13
RYB - 15
GYR - 5
GYB - 4
Finally got to make these adjustments.

Hats off again to Ken. Much improved color accuracy, especially noticeable on skin tones. Very nice.

I continue to be more and more amazed with the visual quality of the XBR960, especially when viewing high quality HD "videotaped" content like DiscHD concerts, or PBS-DT taped shows, or Leno/Conan, etc.

I helped a friend set up his new Sharp Aquos LC-45GX6U the other day, at least as best I could. I didn't want to tell him that I had actually gone to see this set in a store and didn't care for it at all, no matter that it's the current state-of-the-art in LCD.

I tried to adjust brightness level properly for the Sharp using DVE and the Pluge pattern, and simply couldn't make the "blacker-than-black" bar visible at all! Consequently I was unable to then back off the brightness until the blacker-than-black bar matched the black of the background. Unless I needed to also fool around with Contrast and Backlight so that the blacker-than-black bar can be seen, I don't know how one adjusts brightness accurately on an LCD display.

I really didn't expect to say it after being forced to give up my Sampo, but except for the missing native 720p capability I LOVE MY XBR960!! It's ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!
sasimirobot's Avatar sasimirobot 11:50 AM 05-16-2005
I have some intersting info on the
[Sony Wega KV-HZ29 HDTV, asian model]
http://www.sony.com.hk/Electronics/..._hz29m90_f.html

I cant change sevice menu changes using [mute]--[enter], It doesnt change from red "writing" to green "service" like what has been posted in this thread.
It also just resets to the default settings after I turn the TV off.

Anyways, I think it writes to memory in a slightly different way since its an asian version of the Sony Wega. So I can only test and look at the settings in service mode for now unless somebody can tell me how to save the service menu settings on this set.

There are 4 picture settings on this TV "Dynamic"/"Normal"/"Hi-Fine"/"Personal".

"Personal" mode is the only setting which lets you change the Picture/Brightness/Color/Sharpness without entering the sevice menu.

I have noticed though, that when I switch to the "Hi-Fine" setting (is this "Pro" mode?) the color settings in Service mode read:

RYR - 13
RYB - 15
GYR - 5
GYB - 4

Which is very close to what everyone here is saying is good to reduce "red-push". Problem is that I cant set the Picture/Brightness/Color/Sharpness in this mode and it looks like what I think is kinda cartoony compared to my "Personal" settings (lowered everything to 30 ish and sharpness=0)

Help?
KenTech's Avatar KenTech 02:57 PM 05-17-2005
ANNOUNCEMENT I've posted a new article in the Sony Service Codes thread: 12 - Optimizing Image Decoding, "Shaping," and Enhancement. The 2170P-3 and MID5 codes are discussed in considerable detail.
fred33's Avatar fred33 09:31 PM 05-27-2006
Has anyone ever seen a "wavy" effect when the program showing pans a scene and it appears to wave a little like a fun house mirror?
SurfingMatt27's Avatar SurfingMatt27 10:45 AM 05-28-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred33
Has anyone ever seen a "wavy" effect when the program showing pans a scene and it appears to wave a little like a fun house mirror?
Yeah i usually see it when i use a stretch mode like "WIDEZOOM".

I don't see it on FULL or NORMAL, i only notice it on widezoom when i the credits at the end of amovie scroll down.It's geometry that is causing this affect, and if it's bad you will see this funhouse effect.
fred33's Avatar fred33 02:37 PM 05-28-2006
I see it in normal mode but mostly on 1080i
justsc's Avatar justsc 12:33 PM 05-29-2006
Quote:
I see it in normal mode but mostly on 1080i
My set always displays 1080i in Full mode. I think all the 16:9 Sonys default to Full mode. My HS420 locks into Full with incoming HD signals.

Are you sure your set is in Normal mode with 1080i signals? Of maybe I misread your post?
fred33's Avatar fred33 02:38 PM 05-29-2006
My original concern was that when there is a program that I see in 1080i, and the camera pans an area, there seems to be a fun house effect. By that I mean the picture will stretch and squeeze up a little as the pan crosses the screen.
DSperber's Avatar DSperber 03:30 PM 05-29-2006
Quote:
My original concern was that when there is a program that I see in 1080i, and the camera pans an area, there seems to be a fun house effect. By that I mean the picture will stretch and squeeze up a little as the pan crosses the screen.
Sounds like a geometry/curvature/bending/bowing issue.

Do you have a calibration DVD such as Digital Video Essentials or Avia? Have you looked at their geometry test patterns (e.g. overscan adjustment) which have rectangular cross-hatch all around the screen? These patterns make it VERY easy to observe curvature and linearity issues, and also allow a qualified service technician to try and adjust things using small magnets affixed to the back of the picture tube (which is the only way to correct various curvature and convergence problems).

Alternatively, if you have a way of connecting your TV to your PC so that you can display image files from your PC onto your TV, I can email you a BMP which is another such overscan-adjustment test pattern with rectangular cross-hatch covering the entire screen real estate. [I'd post it as an attachment, but it's too large although the ZIP version is tiny but "zip" is no longer acceptable on the Forum.]

Either way, looking at a stationary test pattern which has rectangular cross-hatch and straight lines running horizontally and vertically will allow you to confirm what you already have observed with "live, moving" content... that you have a geometry (and likely also a convergence) problem that could well need a Sony service technician visit to correct. If your set is still under warranty that visit would be free.
fred33's Avatar fred33 03:35 PM 05-29-2006
I do have a tech that will be reimbursed by SONY who has been here once and will come back this week. I just dont think they can do any better than I from what I have experienced so far.
I have put cross hatch patterns on my TV using my computer. Maybe my eyes are not good enough to detect the difference in the pattern itself.
MrGonk's Avatar MrGonk 08:58 AM 08-02-2006
i have a quandry... should i spring for a $300 isf calibration or try these tweaks myself? my concern is not in the risks that come with fooling with the service menu, but if there are things that might impact my picture that i can't do by myself without a professional, and those things are significant, i'm just going to spring for a pro calibration.

can anybody lend me some insight as to how diy service menu tweaks, done correctly, compare to a proper isf job?
Ev01vEd's Avatar Ev01vEd 10:28 PM 08-02-2006
Is there a way to fix the angle I get on the bottom? It appears when I go under %5 overscan.

||||||||||||||
////////////////

Thanks.
Istari1's Avatar Istari1 09:50 AM 08-03-2006
Anyone living in the Baltimore Area who would like to help me calibrate my XBR960? Of course diner/lunch and/or beer would be included :) Thanks for all the great info guys.
First ... 7  8  9

Up
Mobile  Desktop