Tweaking Tips For SONY Owners!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 258 Old 02-14-2005, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After using the DVE disc and going in the service menu several times making fine adjustments i found a few items here that will greatly improve your picture.

These items are for focus.

In the service menu look for 2170D-4, then under that look for these 2 items:

QPDC
DQP

Adjusting QPDC will greatly increase your focus by at least 10-20%

Set this to 63

DQP focuses on the sides of the picture, and improves focus also.

When adjusting focus go to the 1:78:1 crosshatch pattern on the DVE or avia disk.I had some convergance problems and these 2 focus adjustments got rid of it completely.

As for red push look for items RYR and RYB, change these both to 15 to get rid of the red push completely.

As for the green depression adjust GYR and GYB, these can be tricky, generaly mine were set at GYR-9 and GYR-6.

I changed them to GYR-6 and GYB-3, and now yellows look more better, but don't put it too low since it will make light blue, and green and yellow bloom.

You will have to use the green and red color filters for those items.

This tweaking tips refers to the SONY HS420 series as well as the XS955 and XBR960.

Also for overscan adjust items HSIZ,VSIZ,HPOS, don't touch VPOS though you will see what i mean if you try it.

And these are my tips so far, adjusting these alone should give you a 60% better picture.Make sure you write everything down before you tweak, and use a calibration disc.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 258 Old 02-14-2005, 11:31 PM

Increasing the two focusing settings to 63 reduced the vertical convergence problem on the top right section of the screen a bit (it also caused very slight mis-convergence at the right side, but it is very tolerable). Any other focus settings that might alter vertical convergence?

*Dammit. I see now that I can further correct vertical convergence with the other focus settings, but at the cost of, well, focus :( I'll tinker some more to see if I can atleast compromise.

All posts and no replies make Geise a dull boy.
post #3 of 258 Old 02-14-2005, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrocHunter
You will have to use the green and red color filters for those items.
FYI, the Sony sets have a red-only, green-only, blue-only setting in the service menu that makes color adjustments much easier (and more accurate) than the filters.
post #4 of 258 Old 02-15-2005, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Would you care to share it?

I'm trying to start a tweaking thread to help people get the most out of their HD sets.

Also did you try QPDC and did you see an improvement in the center of the screen?
post #5 of 258 Old 02-15-2005, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Edit also how should we go about with overscan do we adjust untill we see the 5% lines? Or do we go a little lower?

I noticed that if i go a bit too low below 5% my videogame systems start to show black bars that are very tiny above and below and on the sides .

Also when adjusting overscan, does this screw up convergance?
post #6 of 258 Old 02-15-2005, 06:05 AM

Croc, for the 32HS500,34XBR800,36HS500,36XBR800,40XBR800.....
2170P_2 RGBS - turns guns on/off
4 - RED ONLY
2 - GREEN ONLY
1 - BLUE ONLY ( Carefull not to go to 0, you will have a
BLANK SCREEN !!!!! )
post #7 of 258 Old 02-15-2005, 08:24 AM

Croc,

I followed your examples in the service menu except the change to QPDC.
What was your orginal setting, mine is only 17 and I was concerned adjusting it all the way to 63.

Thanks, Rick
post #8 of 258 Old 02-15-2005, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

mine was originaly on 47, but at that level there were minor convergance issues in the middle of the screen.

After turning it up to 63 it was completely gone and is more sharper focus.
post #9 of 258 Old 02-15-2005, 02:28 PM

Is there any way I can correct vertical convergence myself without hiring a professional?

All posts and no replies make Geise a dull boy.
post #10 of 258 Old 02-15-2005, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dt_dc
FYI, the Sony sets have a red-only, green-only, blue-only setting in the service menu that makes color adjustments much easier (and more accurate) than the filters.
When I turn off the blue Gun I can no longer see part of the numbers to get to the area to adjust the color setting. so I used the color filters . How do you do it without filters and still be able to get to the correct menu?
post #11 of 258 Old 02-16-2005, 10:53 AM

As this is a thread for sharing tips, I would like to share the tweaks I stumbled on myself that enormously improved picture quality on progressive sources such as DVD and Xbox.

Both can be found under 2170P-3.

First, SYSM, which I adjusted to 3. Flip back and forward between the three settings (it only goes up to 3) and watch how the detail just pops on number 3. Texture just comes to life.

Next, MIDE, which I set to 22. This also improves detail greatly. Use a good static screen with plenty of detail, either a freeze frame or one of the Digital Video Essentials test patterns. MIDE is not to be confused with MID5 or anything in that area; MIDE is a single setting in the 2170P-3 area.

I later found out that these settings for SYSM (3) and MIDE (22) are the factory defaults in 1080i mode, but cannot find any real information on what exactly they adjust. I just know that using them in 480p really cleaned up my picture. It's like looking at a giant PC monitor now, it's so clear!

My set is a 30hs420.

Note: Service settings for SYSM and MIDE are resolution dependent. If you change them on 480i, or TV, they will not be altered on 480p and vice versa.
post #12 of 258 Old 02-16-2005, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Some good tips in here guys. Keep'em coming. Thanks!

Croc, check your PMs.
post #13 of 258 Old 02-16-2005, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ayton, were you able to improve detail on the 480i sources?
post #14 of 258 Old 02-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

I have never entered the service menu but I'm fully aware of the precautions to take from reading this forum.

I want to move the picture upwards. Say I'm watching letterbox, the bar on the bottom is 2½" wide, the one on top is 3" wide. Doesn't matter whether it's dvd input or dvi connect from the cable box.

This can be annoying when there is scrolling text going across the bottom of the screen.

Which parameter would I adjust if this is at all possible? Could I reference the recently cleaned up pdf (Ayton)?

Sony KV36HS510.
post #15 of 258 Old 02-17-2005, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

In the service manual of the SONY XBR960 and XS955

SYSM means "Special Sharpness"

0=off 1=peaky boost, 2=broad boost, 3=flat.

So i take it you use this for the resolution chart on the DVE disc correct?
post #16 of 258 Old 02-17-2005, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Also what are everyones settings for adjuating GYR and GYB?

I seem to can't get it right.
post #17 of 258 Old 02-17-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:
In the service manual of the SONY XBR960 and XS955

SYSM means "Special Sharpness"

0=off 1=peaky boost, 2=broad boost, 3=flat.

So i take it you use this for the resolution chart on the DVE disc correct?
Where are you seeing this? I have the service manual (official 400-plus page version from Sony) and the only parameters it really explains in simple terms like that are for convergence and some geometry.

Anyway, yeah, you can use that chart, but it's pretty obvious watching any 480p screen that the shift to SYSM 3 really improves detail. The first time I did it I was looking at wall textures in Halo 2! But later I checked it out (along with MIDE) on the DVE reference screens.

Omeletpants (!) yes these changes improve 480i input as well, but as they remove a lot of blur you'll see more grain on bad TV channels (in my experience).

JeffD2 On my TV you can move the picture up or down without entering the service menu, it's in SETUP and it's called Vertical Correction. If you don't have this, the equivalent in the service menu is called, I think, VPOS. That should sort you right out.

Now, can anyone comment on how much barrel distortion is common on their Sony widescreen? I'm on my second Wega 30hs420 and, although the geometry is otherwise much better than the first, it still curls up a little at each side of the screen. So if you watch a 2.35:1 movie, say, you'll see that the bottom black bar slopes up at the edge of the screen and the top black bar slopes down at the edge of the screen. No pincushion adjustment seems to solve this.
post #18 of 258 Old 02-17-2005, 04:39 PM

Hello,

I've been reading threads on this forum for a few years now, so I'm never surprised to come across threads that provide helpful tweaks that increase picture detail. After all, this was the forum where I identified my "scrolling bar in 1080i mode" problem, and is also the same forum where I got the info needed to get the problem corrected.

Anyways, I have a Sony 36XBR800, and have yet to try any of these tweaks. Does anyone else have this set, and if so, have you tried any of these tweaks? I don't have a DVE disc, but I do have the AVIA disc. So I'm guessing that this particular disc is sufficient enough, no? In any case, I'm most intrigued by the focus tweaks. The reason is that after I performed the "scrolling bar" fix, the picture appeared to be a little soft. Since my set is a different model, I'm concerned that the tweaks won't work the same exact way, or my settings may be a bit different. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
post #19 of 258 Old 02-17-2005, 07:16 PM

Just want to say "thanks" to CrocHunter for helping me get in my KD-36XS955 service menu and tweeking my horizontal position/size as I was getting a 1/2 inch of black bar on the right hand side of screen from my video games. A few seconds later, all is well! Just need to tinker with some minor focus issues and my 480P/720P games will look even more fabulous!

Anyone know how to correct some minor corner brightness issues (being a bit too dim compared to the rest of the set)?

This service menu stuff is great as long as you are careful!
post #20 of 258 Old 02-17-2005, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

It's nice for someone to appreciate their advice:)

I tried SYSM today and my default value was 1 on a scale from 0-3.

I found that it looked sharper with it at 1 or 0, The differences were not that noticeable, but with it at 3 as you suggested the picture was a little blurry.Other than that there wasn't a "BIG" difference as you mentioned, it was only very slight.

I was calibrating my set to the warm color temp, then after 2 weeks went back to the neutral color temp.

It seemed no matter how i tweaked it the color was a bit off on the warm setting.Plus it gave the best grey color.What are you guys using?
post #21 of 258 Old 02-17-2005, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ayton
Now, can anyone comment on how much barrel distortion is common on their Sony widescreen? I'm on my second Wega 30hs420 and, although the geometry is otherwise much better than the first, it still curls up a little at each side of the screen. So if you watch a 2.35:1 movie, say, you'll see that the bottom black bar slopes up at the edge of the screen and the top black bar slopes down at the edge of the screen. No pincushion adjustment seems to solve this.
Mine slopes down a little on the upper left side of the screen. The bottom is pretty even and straight across the entire length of the screen. This distortion is common for flat screen TVs since they're not really flat but curved slightly. You eventually get used to it and will not notice it as much as time goes by.
post #22 of 258 Old 02-17-2005, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I tried SYSM today and my default value was 1 on a scale from 0-3.

I found that it looked sharper with it at 1 or 0, The differences were not that noticeable, but with it at 3 as you suggested the picture was a little blurry.Other than that there wasn't a "BIG" difference as you mentioned, it was only very slight.
That is so weird, Croc! I would describe exactly opposite results. I find that the detail leaps out at 3, whereas 2, 1 or 0 instantly make it blurry.

How strange! I guess people can try it and see what they think; it doesn't hurt anything.

Did you try MIDE? I'm now interested to know your thoughts on that.

Dark Rain, thanks for the report on that curving phenomenon. It's the only thing I don't like about my set. I returned one already and the replacement I've got now has extremely good vertical geometry compared with the first (straight vertical lines are really straight right up to the edges of the screen) so I'm worried about swapping again for one that might be worse. However the horizontal curve visible on things like 2.35:1 movies, particularly at the top left and lower left corners, is about the same. The reason I'm asking for others' experience with this is to know if what I have is "normal" or if I just have bad luck getting two sets with the same issue (manufactured in different months).

Anyone else, please comment on how your horizontal geometry is at the screen edges with things like the CNN ticker, ESPN ticker, widescreen borders etc.

As well as all the other tips, too!
post #23 of 258 Old 02-18-2005, 09:38 AM

Help!

I have a Sony 32HS420 and the picture looks like s**t.
I have read about your recommended tweaks to the service menu but little or no mention to the basic video menu (color/brightness/sharpness/etc).
Do you not even bother with them prior to adjusting the service menu items or what? Or have you made adjustments to those basic settings and are not satisfied so you make additional adjustments in the service menu?\\
Thanks
post #24 of 258 Old 02-18-2005, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Rick, Welcom to the forums:)

Firstly make sure you are in the "PRO" picture mode and leave everything in the middle settings.Also make sure clear edge is off.

Firstly if you would like to do the basic tweaks, i highly recommend you get a calibration disc such as AVIA or DVE.

Also i found another tweak for 4:3 material to look unstretched in "WIDE ZOOM"

My default value for HSIZ was 47, using a 4:3 test pattern, i turned it down to 40 and now full screen dvd's should look perfect.
post #25 of 258 Old 02-19-2005, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

I tried the MIDE as you described and it did improve the picture, but i just left it at the default level of 16.
post #26 of 258 Old 02-19-2005, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I tried the MIDE as you described and it did improve the picture, but i just left it at the default level of 16.
If it improved picture, why would you set it back to default?

BOYCOTT BEST BUY IN WEST PATERSON, NJ !!!!
post #27 of 258 Old 02-19-2005, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Can someone explain Overscan and what SM options I have on the XBR960? Thanks
post #28 of 258 Old 02-20-2005, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

One day update: I have had a chance to look at the results of the focus adjustments (on various sources) I have made and the improvement is stunning. I'm surprised with all the focus complaints on Sony TVs that they just don't make this an adjustable parameter in the normal menu along with color, contrast, etc. I'm not advocating that the SM be easily accessable but this parameter alone would probably reduce a lot of customer frustration.

Now if someone can only help me understand the Overscan feature and what I could expect from an adjustment
post #29 of 258 Old 02-20-2005, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Basically overscan stretches the picture to fill the screen, generaly if you can get less than 5% overscan then the picturer quality will increase in detail.

You may want to check the overscan chart in AVIA and DVE to se how much overscan your tv does.

To fix overscan use HPOS,HSIZ,VPOS,and VSIZ in the service menu.

Aloso the reason why i put MIDE at the default level was because it ws already perfect at that setting.Too much and the picture will look extremely grainy, and too sharp.I would just leave it alone.
post #30 of 258 Old 02-20-2005, 03:31 PM

I have been reading post with great interest.
I was wondering if anyone has heard of a web sight or BOOK that describes in detail what each acronym in the service manual means.
I have changed my vert and horiz. size, and that was not much of a problem.
My next attempt in the service manual will be to adjust the color. Before I do that I need to know what each color related item does. That is why I was asking about a book.

:)

Las Vegas
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page