post #361 of 2962 Old 08-11-2005, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

***A word of advice regarding CXA2171/MTRX-- On my TV, this item does not work like most of the other SM items with respect to saving and recalling from memory.

I haven't tested this myself, but I will! Brings to mind my previous experience with a setting in the AUDIO group that survives power-off-on.

BUT . . . not an unplug-plug. It would be interesting to see if changes to the 2171 group survive unplugging the set. Sony's service manual actually states that, to test if your settings are being retained, unplug the set, wait a few seconds, then replug. Implies that Sony acknowledges this memory-limbo.

KenTech
"We all get smart slowly."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2962 Old 08-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Hef

Liked: 10
Nope quess i don't have it. Oh well.
post #363 of 2962 Old 08-11-2005, 04:22 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Do you have any Advanced Video options at all? (Maybe those aren't supported on the HS420 line.)

It's a High Hide. A High Hide... See you go up and you hide, high. It goes up to where the trees are, and keeps the researchers out of harms way.

Actually, it'll put them at a very convenient biting height.
post #364 of 2962 Old 08-11-2005, 04:45 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentech View Post

It would be interesting to see if changes to the 2171 group survive unplugging the set. Sony's service manual actually states that, to test if your settings are being retained, unplug the set, wait a few seconds, then replug. Implies that Sony acknowledges this memory-limbo.

MTRX may be the only item in the CXA2171 (CXA2151 on my model) group that behaves this way though. CBGN, CRGN, YGN at least seem to behave normally with respect to saving/recalling from memory.

A couple links on color space:
http://videoessentials.com/PCCoordinates.php
http://videoessentials.com/res_phosphors.php

It's a High Hide. A High Hide... See you go up and you hide, high. It goes up to where the trees are, and keeps the researchers out of harms way.

post #365 of 2962 Old 08-20-2005, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocHunter View Post

So here's the code sequence to enter the service menu: "DISPLAY" "5" "VOLUME+" "POWER".

To navigate the service menu use the 1 and 4 keys, to change the values use the 3 and 6 keys.

To save a value setting press "MUTING" then "ENTER", the words "WRITE" will be displayed in red if it got saved.To exit the service menu just simply turn your tv off.

I'm pressing this code sequence to enter the service menu on my xbr960 and nothing is happening. Is there a trick to doing this?
post #366 of 2962 Old 08-20-2005, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Once you have a manual, there's also a 900 number that can be called for Non-Authorized Service Tech Support. It costs $3/min, with a $20 minimum for each call. According to Sony, you must have a service manual in front of you to use this service....

Does anyone have, and will share this number?
post #367 of 2962 Old 08-20-2005, 09:15 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

I don't have the 900 number, but you can get information about the service by contacting Sony's Direct Accessories and Parts.

Phone #: 1-800-488-SONY
Web: http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web/contact_us.jsp

post #368 of 2962 Old 08-20-2005, 09:47 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm pressing this code sequence to enter the service menu on my xbr960 and nothing is happening. Is there a trick to doing this?

Are you starting with the TV off? Please be careful in there btw.

post #369 of 2962 Old 08-20-2005, 09:58 PM

Quote:

Are you starting with the TV off? Please be careful in there btw.

Thanks I was trying to do it while the tv was on.

Hopefully I won't screw anything up in there. I'm horribly clumsy but I just want to change a single digit so that I can watch 480p through the HDMI input. Currently I can't watch 4:3 video files on the set as my Oppo dvd player stretches them and there is no way to squeeze them back at the 720p and 1080i settings on the tv. So I need to use 480p so the tv can squeeze the videos back to their proper aspect ration :\\

I'd also like to move the overscan slightly upwards since the subtitles on avi files tend to get cut off in the overscan at the bottom...but like I said, I'm clumsy so I'll skip touching any of this stuff and just change the 1 digit to get a working 480p picture ^^;
post #370 of 2962 Old 08-21-2005, 12:58 PM

I'm still fiddeling with the geometry...

Question: In service mode inputting a 480i signal, the "Normal" screen mode is horisontally stretched to look like a letterbox movie format, with black bands on top and bottom. The other modes: Full, Wide Zoom and Zoom, looks fine.

In the second line of the service menu screen it reads "vc 960i". This doesn't look right, but since I cannot change this, I cannot remember what it should be. Could someone please let me know?

I know I can test the different modes in CXA2170P-4 item 20 IDSW. My screen looks exactly as the setting 4 (VC 960i). So setting 0 and 4 looks the same.

Does any of you have an idea what is wrong and how I can get back to the normal "Normal" setting on 480i input?
post #371 of 2962 Old 08-21-2005, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptchristensen View Post

I'm still fiddeling with the geometry...
Does any of you have an idea what is wrong and how I can get back to the normal "Normal" setting on 480i input?

Found it: 2170D-1, 11, ZOOM, was set to 1 on "480i Normal"
post #372 of 2962 Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM

I have now read the service manual for my XBR960 several times and I have tinkered, tested, reset and reset again, till I'm blue in my face...!

There are simply words and test scenarios I do not understand - so here I go:

1) Chapter 2-8 and 2-9 mentions NTSC (DRC) Full mode. What kind of signal is that? I know that Full mode is the 'Screen Mode" Full, but what is a NTSC (DRC) signal?

2) If the initial geometry is done in Full mode, how do I set the size of a normal 480 signal. I have tried the MIDI-1 settings, but they do not seem to be separating the normal mode from the full mode i 480?

3) 2170D-3, 4 and 5. What is the difference between Vcomp, Expansion Zoom and Zoom-V?

I promise that I will post all my trials and tribulations with the geometry as soon as I have a feeling that I understand it, and isn't just lucky to sometimes hit a good result.
post #373 of 2962 Old 08-23-2005, 04:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

1) Chapter 2-8 and 2-9 mentions NTSC (DRC) Full mode. What kind of signal is that? I know that Full mode is the 'Screen Mode" Full, but what is a NTSC (DRC) signal?

Per Sony, Digital Reality Creation (DRC) Multifunction V1 Unlike conventional line doublers, the DRC Multifunction feature replaces the signal's NTSC waveform with near-HD equivalent by digital mapping processing. The DRC Palette option lets you customize the level of detail (Reality) and smoothness (Clarity) to create a customized picture that is optimized for signal quality, viewing conditions and personal preference. As we discussed earlier in this thread (#245), the video signal gets processed in different ways, depending on the source. All Composite and S-video 480i signals are all processed through the DRC processor. A NTSC format signal, as I understand, is a max 480i / 60Hz video signal.

Quote:

2) If the initial geometry is done in Full mode, how do I set the size of a normal 480 signal. I have tried the MIDI-1 settings, but they do not seem to be separating the normal mode from the full mode i 480?

Yes, the initial geometry is done in MIDI-1 Full mode, then for the Normal/Other mode, use MIDI-2 #0,1,2,3

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #374 of 2962 Old 08-23-2005, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptchristensen
On my 4:3 set, I simply tune in a broadcast station, since that goes thru the DRC signal-path within the set. But if you do this, isn't it displayed with pillarboxes? So I'm not sure how to help because I don't know the ins and outs of how the 16:9 sets deal with ordinary SD video.

I have thought that your set generates a 4:3 synthetic "window" and displays 4:3 material within that, and some of the MID1-3 codes deal with that window. But that doesn't help you deal with the raster at the tube's edges.

I think what you need to do is get a *normal* signal on-screen (not zoomed) that fills the width of the screen, then make the listed adjustments. I think an anamorphic-enhanced DVD would likely do just fine. The HBLK = 0 kills the side-blanking, and AGNG collapses the raster a bit so you can see the edges. (Maybe the HBLK = 0 exposes a pillarboxed raster all the way to the edges.) Then you are (1) centering the video on the best part of the raster (it's gamy at the edges), then (2) centering *that* on the tube. Finally, you replace the blanking with HBLK = 1. That's how it worked on my 4:3 tube; I just wonder how this one set of instructions deals with both tube profiles. Sorry to be so vague.

Vcomp, Expansion Zoom and Zoom-V stand for vertically-compressed (for 4:3 tubes in 16:9 mode), 4:3 expanded to fill the width on your 16:9 set, and vertically-zoomed (absent on your set?). You can temporarily simulate (force) these scan modes with 2170P-4/IDSW, where 1-7 chooses all of the available scan modes and labels them on-screen. E.g. "VC 960i" means vertically-compressed 960 lines, interlaced. For your 16:9 set, one of the ID codes programs your set to behave differently from mine for the different scan modes; I think it's ID7 = 19 that does it.

I can only speculate on your question #2, so I won't say anything just now. Sorry. If it's any help, the Excel spreadsheet of the commands that's available (attached) shows descriptions for MID2 codes as "Horizontal/vertical position/size for 4:3 pattern," which I think is meant for you, not me.

34XBR910 Service Menu vADR.zip 57.740234375k . file

KenTech
post #375 of 2962 Old 08-24-2005, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post

Yes, the initial geometry is done in MIDI-1 Full mode, then for the Normal/Other mode, use MIDI-2 #0,1,2,3

I need more assistance from the experts...!

Here is what I know, so far:
- "Full" with 480i or 480p input is a 4:3 signal that is stretched to fill the 16:9 screen.
- "Normal" with 480i or 480p input should be a 4:3 signal with black bars on the sides.
- "Full" with 1080i input is the standard 16:9 size.

So the Service Manual says to start with a "Full" DCR signal, which we have concluded must be a stretched 480i signal. Adjust using the 2170D-1 and 2 settings. When this is done you actually also have a perfect 1080i geometry, since the width and height of a "Full" (stretched) 480 signal is the same as a "Full" 1080i signal.

Now how do I create the "Normal" sized 480 geometry without effecting both the "Normal" 1080i geometry and the "Full" 480 geometry.

I cannot use MID1, 0-3 since they are shared.
I cannot use MID1, 8 and 10 since they are shared.
I cannot use MID2, 0-3 because they can only be reduced to about 90% of the screen size, without loosing sync, and
I cannot use MID3, 0-3 since they do not accept input on a 480 signal.

So as you see I'm lost...!
Even if most of what I watch is in either 1080i or 480p(Full) from the DVD, it would still be nice to also be able to watch unstretched 480i.

I still have a nasty feeling that there is a single setting somewhere, that when set will automatically NOT stretch 480 if the screen mode is "Normal".
post #376 of 2962 Old 08-24-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:

I still have a nasty feeling that there is a single setting somewhere, that when set will automatically NOT stretch 480 if the screen mode is "Normal".

With the help from Clen and Ken I found it, it was an ID setting ID7, that should be 19. Which identifies the TV as a KD-34XBR960.

Immediately the 480 signal was correct...thanks...!
post #377 of 2962 Old 08-26-2005, 03:04 PM

When I play a 2:35 DVD on my 16:9 screen in Full mode, I get a thin flickering scan line between the movie top and the top black bar.

Which setting do I use to adjust for this line?
post #378 of 2962 Old 08-26-2005, 05:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

When I play a 2:35 DVD on my 16:9 screen in Full mode, I get a thin flickering scan line between the movie top and the top black bar.

Which setting do I use to adjust for this line?

I am not sure you will be able to remove it. The vertical height is set for the screen edge, not the picture edge. It must be coming from your DVD player. Do you see the same thing when watching any HD movies that are more than 1.78:1?

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #379 of 2962 Old 08-29-2005, 09:46 PM

Hi all...

Newbie here....I have owned a variety of Trinitrons over the years and I haven't found any other brand that gives the same level of detail as Sonys and they were never calibrated. You know what I mean, grass that doesn't look like astro turf, the weave of the fabric on someone's suit, the "pancake" on newscaster's faces- you can actually see the texture of the powder!! You know, natural!

Anyway, bought a 34hs420 recently and I hate to say it but, it just doesn't look like a Sony. Good enough picture for sure but not what I was expecting.

For me, a Sony means detail, texture, natural. I'm prepared to invest time in the SM, but it's a shame these qualities aren't there out of the box like my other sets. Is this how they are now?

Thanks and glad to be aboard!

T.
post #380 of 2962 Old 08-30-2005, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Shift View Post

]Thanks and glad to be aboard!

You're welcome! But please, repeat after me: "I will never again post in yellow text." (Some of us have white or gray backgrounds, hello! Black is really best.)

KenTech
post #381 of 2962 Old 08-30-2005, 12:10 AM

I have went though the calibration forums in here and mostly they speak of color and grey levels. I would like to fix my geometry before I worry about the color settings.
The biggest problem I seem to have is when I bought the TV on component inputs the screen was not centered, so I called sony and they gave me the local repair shop. After he had come out the geometry was still not right ( he didn't seem to really care to fix it the way i wanted it ). since then I have been trying to fix it with not much luck. I did get the test patterns that KENTECH put on here ( that did help ). but in all the times of getting into service mode I may some of the settings way off
Sorry if this is asking allot but the site that was recommended to get the codes from don't have my model and I am not sure if another model is the same?
Any info would help, PLZ!!!

This is for the KV-34XBR800
Sry if I should have post here???
post #382 of 2962 Old 08-30-2005, 12:32 AM

IM newbie here and read the what KENTECH said about text color and got confused with the black background shows all text in yellow
post #383 of 2962 Old 08-30-2005, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTech View Post

You're welcome! But please, repeat after me: "I will never again post in yellow text." (Some of us have white or gray backgrounds, hello! Black is really best.)

My apologies, but as KrammuelSTEog said, I see all text in yellow on grey and thought that was what to do. Didn't see any indication anywhere on how the forum formats/displays itself.

Anyway, any ideas on my original post?

T.
post #384 of 2962 Old 08-30-2005, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My apologies, but as KrammuelSTEog said, I see all text in yellow on grey and thought that was what to do. Didn't see any indication anywhere on how the forum formats/displays itself.

Anyway, any ideas on my original post?

T.

I have the KV-34HS420, and it looks like a Sony to me. Granted, the XS/XBR series sets have greater resolution, but I would never rate the HS series as non-Sony. Are you comparing HD to non-HD sets?

If you haven't yet purchased and used the Avia or DVE calibration disks, by all means, do so. And yes, you can get much more bang for your buck, on the HS sets, with the right SM adjustments.
post #385 of 2962 Old 08-30-2005, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Hi all...

Newbie here....I have owned a variety of Trinitrons over the years and I haven't found any other brand that gives the same level of detail as Sonys and they were never calibrated. You know what I mean, grass that doesn't look like astro turf, the weave of the fabric on someone's suit, the "pancake" on newscaster's faces- you can actually see the texture of the powder!! You know, natural!

Anyway, bought a 34hs420 recently and I hate to say it but, it just doesn't look like a Sony. Good enough picture for sure but not what I was expecting.

For me, a Sony means detail, texture, natural. I'm prepared to invest time in the SM, but it's a shame these qualities aren't there out of the box like my other sets. Is this how they are now?

Thanks and glad to be aboard!

T.

Well if you already know how to enter the service menu then good,if not,don't fret at the beggining of this thread it tells you how.

Now if you want to get the most natural,sharpest picture possible without any processing to the image heres what is to be done.Our goal is to just pass the signal to the screen, and have nothing affect the image quality, just go from point A to B thank you.

Here are the serivce menu settings to get rid of these obtrusive edge enhancements that mar the image.

SYSM set this to 3, it is input and resolution dependant so you have to set it for each input and resolution.

QPDC adjusts this to the best focus in the middle of the screen overall.

of coarse you are using a calibration disc with test patterns to do this properly right?

Also leave it in PRO mode and keep the sharpness in the middle,don't worry instead of adjusting sharpness, everything is adjusted in the service menu instead.

Make sure clear edge is off in the user menu,and turn VM-VML to 0 .

same with VMLV-VMDL turn them to 0

SHOF make sure that's at 0 as well

Under MID 5 section turn MHLY-MVCE to 0, this is resolution dependant and input dependant,so adjust it for each input and resolution,ex.480i-1080i

and there you have it!

Sony quality, in it's purest form, no enhancements what so ever.

Now that's just for sharpness, if you want better colors and getting rid of red push adjust RYR-RYB with the red color filters with AVIA or DVE and GYR-GYB with the green color filters.Use Neutral color temp since that is the best color temperature.

then once done you can adjust color to what ever setting you like in the user menu.Mines at 29 and my settings are RYR=15,RYB=15, GYR=6, GYB=3

For adjusting black level properly so you see shadow detail, because these sony sets are none to hide it because of their too black, black levels.

First set brightness to the middle setting and leave it there, no need to adjust it since we are adjusting it in the service menu.

First find your input with the highest black level( the one with the smokiest blacks) then from there adjust SBRT using the pluge pattern in either AVIA or DVE use the instructions that tell you with the disc.

SBRT is a global setting as well as
RYR-GYB so once it's set it's set for all inputs.

Once you have set the input with the highest black level, in my case Video1-4 composite and S-video inputs, then set all the other inputs to match it in black level using UBOF in the service menu.UBOF is input and resolution dependant so you will have to adjust it for each input and resolution.

And there you have it, perfection! only thiong missing is to do geometry touch up if you have to or convergance and greyscale which i would'nt touch since you need the proper equipment that an ISF guy has.

At least you save yourself an ISF calibration since you pretty much did what they were going to do in the service menu anyways, minus greyscale and convergance.

Here are my picture settings that i have gooten after calibration and are my permanent settings that i like,feel free to try them:

PRO Mode
Contrast: 45
Brightness: 31 middle setting
Tint: middle setting
Color: 29
Sharpness: 31 middle setting.
Color temp: Neutral
Clear edge : Off
DRC: Interlaced
post #386 of 2962 Old 08-30-2005, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

With the help from Clen and Ken I found it, it was an ID setting ID7, that should be 19. Which identifies the TV as a KD-34XBR960.

Immediately the 480 signal was correct...thanks...!

Wow, I'll check that out, because I have the problem that in 480p, in full it takes the full size of the screen but in 480i, I miss a little of the right and left side of the screen.
post #387 of 2962 Old 08-30-2005, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 View Post

Wow, I'll check that out, because I have the problem that in 480p, in full it takes the full size of the screen but in 480i, I miss a little of the right and left side of the screen.

Actually I found out that there is an error in the Service Manual. It says 19 in ID7 for 34XBR960, and it does size 480i correctly. However my Harmony remote stopped working and the Index and Twin View also stopped working. I found an older version of the Service Manual, and that one said 25.

When I changed ID7 to 25 everything started working again and I still had the correct 480i geometry.
post #388 of 2962 Old 08-30-2005, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Great, Thanks for the tip! I will let you know if it worked out.
post #389 of 2962 Old 08-30-2005, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTech View Post

03 - COLOR CALIBRATION AND BLACK LEVEL

"What makes sense to me: Set a correct color temperature of 6500K or White Cloud (my preference) "

"But Nature provides a nearly-perfect source for comparison: mid-day white clouds illuminated from the front by sunlight (about 6100K), seen thru an open window or screen, NOT glass."

My set is in the basement without a clear view of the sky. However, my computer monitor can be variably adjusted for temperature. If I display a white screen, could I use it for reference? 6100K, 6500K etc..

T.
post #390 of 2962 Old 08-30-2005, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

My set is in the basement without a clear view of the sky. However, my computer monitor can be variably adjusted for temperature. If I display a white screen, could I use it for reference? 6100K, 6500K etc.

Sure, but that makes one risky assumption: that the monitor's color-temp settings are anywhere near accurate. I just set up a 19" LaCie monitor for a client. I had a monitor calibrator, but I checked the "native" settings first, available thru the monitor's front-panel buttons. Result: too cold, and somewhat greenish. The calibrator resulted in a very neutral 6500K and great grayscale, nothing like the front-panel settings.

If you can mooch a monitor calibrator from someone you know who does graphic arts or color prepress (otherwise they cost $200-350), you can set up a good 6500K color profile for your monitor/computer combo, then use that as a secondary standard. Process takes only a few minutes and the software is self-instructing. (I have both a Monaco and a LaCie Blue Eye.) I have a small plastic-cased iMac from several years ago, and it makes a great portable color source, as the calibrators don't work on a TV monitor. (The software can't control the TV.)

I have compared more than one calibrated computer monitor with the "cloud" standard. It really is almost dead-on, the bright sunlighted parts being a little warm, the bottoms and dark-gray parts a little cool. But your *eye* gets it, and the TV really looks off-color if it's out of whack. But I know puffy dense clouds are a rare commodity in some seasons, and for some installations it's just impossible.

KenTech
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page