THE SONY SERVICE CODES - Articles, Comments, Discoveries - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #541 of 2973 Old 11-05-2005, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if there are internal test pattens in the HS series or are they only in the XBR series?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2973 Old 11-07-2005, 11:51 AM

First off, great guide - used it to tweak my system to the point that when I had a pro come and correct my color, that was the only thing that was off (and not by much...the clouds do work).

Anyway, need some help on a question I couldn't find an answer to. On my set, when I'm running my PS2 through component input 5 I'm getting color distortion only the edges of the screen, similar to what I'd see if I had speakers next to the set. However, the only speakers are the ones in the TV itself (external speakers are wall mounted several feet away) and I only notice it when using that input. When the ps2 is in 16:9, 480p it's very noticeable, when in 4:3 the only thing I notice are the edges of the screen are slightly lighter than the center. On all my other inputs I don't have this distortion, except on 1080I the extreme upper right corner has a small amount of pink tint when on an all white background.

So, I guess my question is, how do I go about correcting this? As it's only in one mode I'm assuming it's not the internal speakers, but I don't want to change anything that will throw off my color/greyscale now that I've paid to have it set. I'm assuming the are SM codes, but I'm not sure which ones. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
post #543 of 2973 Old 11-08-2005, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello, I'm new here. Well, to an extent. I am what people refer to as a "lurker."

Question: on my 30xs955, my colors are off. Faces appear to have a purplish tint, especially in the lips. Do any people here have similar experiences, and if so, were they remedied by tinkering in the service menu? I am guessing that this is likely a problem associated with the red or green levels, but am just wondering, before I start adjusting things, if this is what people more technically inclined than myself would do. I'm grateful for any replies.

It isn't the size of the disk that counts, but how you use it.

Panasonic 46pz85u

4K cinema at 60mbps, coming soon to a kiosk near you.
post #544 of 2973 Old 11-09-2005, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User View Post

Question: on my 30xs955, my colors are off. Faces appear to have a purplish tint, especially in the lips. Do any people here have similar experiences, and if so, were they remedied by tinkering in the service menu? I am guessing that this is likely a problem associated with the red or green levels, but am just wondering, before I start adjusting things, if this is what people more technically inclined than myself would do. I'm grateful for any replies.

Have you tried simply tweaking the Hue slider?

Also, make sure it's happening on every input before you go altering the service settings; I have a cheapo secondary DVD player that puts out dreadful colors in prog scan mode. Calibration was very confusing until I realized this was the case! I now use my better quality Tosh DVD player to calibrate only.

After both of those points, if you still think the color on your TV is just plain wrong, I'd suggest tweaking the color decoder in the service menu. These are items RYR, RYB, GYR and GYB under the 2170p-4 heading in your service menu. Search these forums and elsewhere for "RYR" and you'll get better info than I can give. I've done this calibration in conjunction with DVE dozens of times and it's nothing to be scared of. Also look up RGBS, a service menu item for selectively disabling the color guns that makes this process much easier.

I am very much an amateur tweaker. Apologies to the pros if I've made the wrong assumption here.
post #545 of 2973 Old 11-09-2005, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the suggestions, Ayton.

FYI, it's happening with over the air HDTV, and I have tried sliding the hue around.

I'll give your suggestions a try.

It isn't the size of the disk that counts, but how you use it.

Panasonic 46pz85u

4K cinema at 60mbps, coming soon to a kiosk near you.
post #546 of 2973 Old 11-11-2005, 09:17 AM

[b]I own a Sony KF-50XBR800. I also have a service manual for it. I notice there are several service code settings above the printed codes in the manual. I have corrected a problem I had by changing the value of POS CTL to recenter the main menu Image Revision setting. That works great now. However, I some how or another turned off the picture frame in twin view. While I can still switch between pics, I have no (blue) frame. Does anyone know which code I need to turn it bac k on?
post #547 of 2973 Old 11-13-2005, 05:13 PM

I have a 30xs955 and i have noticed a slight shift to the right on most things that are displayed. (horizontal alignment) Its very obvious with the THX test patterns on some of the DVDs i own, and also during sports when they have a scoreline up. Also After using the memory stick and Patterns posted here (namely the 16x9 dot pattern) it looks like the convergence is off in the lower right. What are the service menu options to fix these things.. I DO NOT want to mess with stuff just for the heck of it.. i want to fix only what i notice and leave the rest alone. I cant afford to screw this tv up. Also, does anyone know if sony's warrenty will cover In home, professional calibration? Thanks!

Dr.
post #548 of 2973 Old 11-13-2005, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_EluSivE View Post

I have a 30xs955 and i have noticed a slight shift to the right on most things that are displayed. (horizontal alignment) Its very obvious with the THX test patterns on some of the DVDs i own, and also during sports when they have a scoreline up. Also After using the Patterns posted here (namwly the 16x9 dot pattern it looks like the convergence is off in the lower right. What are the service menu options to fix these things.. I DO NOT want to mess with stuff just for the heck of it.. i want to fix only what i notice and leave the rest alone. I cant afford to screw this tv up. Also, does anyone know if sony's warrenty will cover In home, professional calibration? Thanks!

Dr.

First you need to determine if it is all inputs that are shifted to the right...

As always - write down existing settings before changing.

1) If all - The global centering entry for all inputs is 2170D-2, 0, HCNT. This controls the "default" raster, or frame. that your TV is displaying the picture on. If by adjusting to the left you run out of sync, in the right hand side, adjust back to the original setting, and use the global 2170D-2, 1, HPOS setting instead.
2) If 480i - The entry is MID2, 0, DRHP.
3) If all others - The entry is MID33, 0, VDHP. You have to adjust this setting for all the inputs, different than 480i.

The convergence setting for the lower right is D-CONV, 4, RUBW.

No, Sony will not pay for a professional calibration.
post #549 of 2973 Old 11-13-2005, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptchristensen View Post

First you need to determine if it is all inputs that are shifted to the right...

As always - write down existing settings before changing.

1) If all - The global centering entry for all inputs is 2170D-2, 0, HCNT. This controls the "default" raster, or frame. that your TV is displaying the picture on. If by adjusting to the left you run out of sync, in the right hand side, adjust back to the original setting, and use the global 2170D-2, 1, HPOS setting instead.
2) If 480i - The entry is MID2, 0, DRHP.
3) If all others - The entry is MID33, 0, VDHP. You have to adjust this setting for all the inputs, different than 480i.

The convergence setting for the lower right is D-CONV, 4, RUBW.

No, Sony will not pay for a professional calibration.

Thanks, i got the H-Centering Perfect now, it was off quite a bit. I had to shrink the H-Size a bit, and then shift it left. Now its great. I tried the D-CONV #4 and it didnt seem to make any difference at all 0-63 seemed to look exactly the same (default 22) so i just left it at the stock setting. the amount its off probably isnt enough to even make a difference during normal viewing, the Dots really point out the flaws.. Thanks for the help though, i did atleast get one issue (the worst one) fixed.

Dr.
post #550 of 2973 Old 11-13-2005, 07:04 PM

Calibratred my 34HS420 using Avia, Spyder and the spreadsheet from the Calibration forum. After getting comfortable with the Spyders data I dived into service menu. Overall I am happy with the end results, I can now see shadow detail, but the new settings are far from the defaults. All of the xCUTs are set higher, especially the red which is now at 61. This tells me that G2 is set too high since it takes more voltage to temper the guns. I could lower G2 buy would have to open up my set which would then let me lower xCUTs. I guess what I would like to know from the more experienced folks out there is does it really matter?
post #551 of 2973 Old 11-13-2005, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPV View Post

So does anybody know if it's possible to disable the v-compression on Sony HS420 sets? It's automatically engaged over the HDMI connection, which means a 4:3 DVD cannot be upconverted to 1080i over the HDMI input (it squeezes it to 16:9).

How do you receive your TV signal...?
post #552 of 2973 Old 11-13-2005, 09:04 PM

Quote:

DVD player via the HDMI input. I've got a new Oppo player and a DVD at 1080i over the HDMI connection is automatically squeezed to 16:9. This is fine for widescreen, anamorphic DVDs but non-anamorphic letterboxed or 4:3 DVDs are squeezed as well (which ain't fine...!).

I can watch 4:3 material via the Oppo's component connections and let the TV do the upscaling, of course. But sure would be nice to be able to turn off the HS420's v-compression so I can watch 4:3 discs over the digital connection.

Not sure if this helps, but there is a new firmware upgrade that claims to fix the problem: http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h_support.html
post #553 of 2973 Old 11-13-2005, 09:16 PM

Quote:

DVD player via the HDMI input. I've got a new Oppo player and a DVD at 1080i over the HDMI connection is automatically squeezed to 16:9. This is fine for widescreen, anamorphic DVDs but non-anamorphic letterboxed or 4:3 DVDs are squeezed as well (which ain't fine...!).

I can watch 4:3 material via the Oppo's component connections and let the TV do the upscaling, of course. But sure would be nice to be able to turn off the HS420's v-compression so I can watch 4:3 discs over the digital connection.

or...

Q: My 4:3 content is being stetched. Why is that and how to fix it?
A: The OPDV971H automatically stretches 4:3 content to fit a widescreen display if the TV Display in the General Setup menu is set to Wide. For the best possible playback of 4:3 content, set the TV Display to Wide/SQZ.
post #554 of 2973 Old 11-14-2005, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtiberi View Post

Calibratred my 34HS420 using Avia, Spyder and the spreadsheet from the Calibration forum. After getting comfortable with the Spyders data I dived into service menu. Overall I am happy with the end results, I can now see shadow detail, but the new settings are far from the defaults. All of the xCUTs are set higher, especially the red which is now at 61. This tells me that G2 is set too high since it takes more voltage to temper the guns. I could lower G2 buy would have to open up my set which would then let me lower xCUTs. I guess what I would like to know from the more experienced folks out there is does it really matter?

Wow, 61 is really high, mine are around mid section all three of them. I own the 30HS420 wich it is basically the same set. Can you tell me your settings for the GCUT & BCUT aswell? I'd like to test it on my set.
post #555 of 2973 Old 11-14-2005, 02:06 PM

Liked: 11
My set is automatically assuming a 1080i signal via the HDMI input is 16:9, and is enabling the v-compression. My display isn't widescreen.

The v-compression on Sony HS420 sets has only two settings: on and automatic. No off. Some of us have been hoping we could turn the v-compression off in the service menu somewhere.

Others have asked about this. Thought I'd try one more time and see if anybody knew anything.

EDIT: Just found out if I put the Oppo in "wide/squeeze" mode, over the HDMI connect it will come out window-boxed on my screen. Then I can use the zoom feature on the Sony to fill the screen with the image.

See my thread, "Sony HS420s: i, p, and 'CineMotion'...?" if interested.
post #556 of 2973 Old 11-14-2005, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 View Post

Wow, 61 is really high, mine are around mid section all three of them. I own the 30HS420 wich it is basically the same set. Can you tell me your settings for the GCUT & BCUT aswell? I'd like to test it on my set.

Didn't like RCUT to so high, I lowered the settings for the xDRVs and xCUTs proportianally form their original settings. After calibrating with the Spyder and the colorimeter spreadsheet the values I settled on, at least for now are:

SBRT - 21
RCUT, RDRV - 51, 36
GCUT, GDRV - 28, 27
BCUT, BDRV - 38, 23
GAMR, GAMG, GAMB - 2, 2, 1

All CRTs are different to some degree so my settings may be completely useless for your set.
post #557 of 2973 Old 11-15-2005, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I'l check it out to see how it looks on mine.
post #558 of 2973 Old 11-15-2005, 02:58 PM

Can someone maybe help me out? I have Bronchitis this week and just don't feel like scanning through 20 pages.

Is there a fix for the following?

When watching a standard/digital program with bars on the sides....the bottom of my left side seems to bow outwards slightly. It's far from a straight line from top to bottom. My pc moniter has adjustments to tweak these types of problems. Is this found in the service mode for my tv?

Also, can the purple splotch in the upper right corner also be fixed in service mode?

Thanks for any help.
post #559 of 2973 Old 11-15-2005, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutwrencher View Post

When watching a standard/digital program with bars on the sides....the bottom of my left side seems to bow outwards slightly. It's far from a straight line from top to bottom. Is this found in the service mode for my tv?

Very likely yes. Geometry problems can be tweaked in the SM. You probably won't be able to get perfect geometry, however. That's kind of the nature of the beast with CRTs.

For an HS420, check out menu options VPOS through ZOOM, and HCNT through LBOW. These are all the main geometry settings. there may be more (?), but likely these will be enough to fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutwrencher View Post

Also, can the purple splotch in the upper right corner also be fixed in service mode?

This I'm less sure about. I have a slight blue tint in the upper right corner. I've not tried to fix it in the SM yet, but frankly it's very slight so I've not really made the effort. Seems I've heard some of these "blob" problems being unfixable short of having a calibrationist out to install special magnets in your set . I'm far from an expert, though.

Hope you feel better.
post #560 of 2973 Old 11-15-2005, 04:59 PM

Quote:

This I'm less sure about. I have a slight blue tint in the upper right corner. I've not tried to fix it in the SM yet, but frankly it's very slight so I've not really made the effort. Seems I've heard some of these "blob" problems being unfixable short of having a calibrationist out to install special magnets in your set . I'm far from an expert, though.

Try tweaking the landing setting for that corner of the screen in the SM. I don't know what it does, and judging from when I asked about it a few pages back, no one else does either. However, it made the splotch in my upper right corner go away.
post #561 of 2973 Old 11-15-2005, 05:09 PM

Sorry if this was already covered. The search results for the thread were inconclusive.

I've been operating under the assumption that there are separate setting memories for 480, 720, and 1080 on my XBR960. However, I have an underscanned 720 source on input 6 and a cable 1080 source on input 7 and there positions seem to be linked. If I center the screen horizontally on the 720 feed, the 1080 feed is off. If I fix the 1080, the 720 is off. I've currently centered the 720 feed, because the 1080 feed still has overscan to cover the screen. However, all the titles on programs aren't centered which annoys by obsessive soul.

Is there any way to address this or do all widescreen feeds share the same settings?
post #562 of 2973 Old 11-15-2005, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Fletcher View Post

Try tweaking the landing setting for that corner of the screen in the SM. ...it made the splotch in my upper right corner go away.

Hmmmmm, will give that a try. Does it have a funky abbreviation in the SM?
post #563 of 2973 Old 11-15-2005, 08:51 PM

I think it's just "Landing" or "Land" or something obvious like that. RT stands for Right Top, RB stands for Right Bottom, and I'm betting you can figure out the other two.
post #564 of 2973 Old 11-16-2005, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a question about my set KV30hs420, It's being a while like that and I checked the geometry with the avia disk; 480i for the GC, 480p for the DVD and 1080i for GT4 on PS2 are all centered and almost 100% right but when I play my PS2 games in 480p, the screen is off center, more on the right. If I tweak the MID3 menu and center it for the PS2 in 480p, then the DVD is off center. I decided to leave the 480p centered for the DVD since the 480i on my PS2 look just as good. But if there is a way to fix it, I'd really appreciate it.
post #565 of 2973 Old 11-16-2005, 08:16 PM

anyone know how to fix this problem?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=599482
post #566 of 2973 Old 11-17-2005, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

anyone know how to fix this problem?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=599482

I agree with biznus97: sounds like phosphor trailing to me. Proper calibration is all you can do about phosphor trailing. As far as I know, it's something of the nature of CRTs.

Maybe you could post a pic.?
post #567 of 2973 Old 11-18-2005, 04:28 PM

no cam to take a pic. so you think it can be fixed with proper calibration? if so what settings do i tune in the SM?
post #568 of 2973 Old 11-18-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 View Post

I have a question about my set KV30hs420, It's being a while like that and I checked the geometry with the avia disk; 480i for the GC, 480p for the DVD and 1080i for GT4 on PS2 are all centered and almost 100% right but when I play my PS2 games in 480p, the screen is off center, more on the right. If I tweak the MID3 menu and center it for the PS2 in 480p, then the DVD is off center. I decided to leave the 480p centered for the DVD since the 480i on my PS2 look just as good. But if there is a way to fix it, I'd really appreciate it.

480i signals must be corrected in MID2.
post #569 of 2973 Old 11-18-2005, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

no cam to take a pic. so you think it can be fixed with proper calibration? if so what settings do i tune in the SM?

The extent to which I understand it, you can calibrate your set as well as possible and it will diminish phosphor trailing, but your probably still gonna' notice it sometimes. It's just the nature of CRT technology.

Read and study the SM calibration tutorials toward the beginning of this thread. That's what I'm trying to do.
post #570 of 2973 Old 11-19-2005, 12:06 AM

oh man there is alot to learn here. ill be here forever
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page