THE SONY SERVICE CODES - Articles, Comments, Discoveries - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #631 of 2973 Old 12-29-2005, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like some more help with my television. Anyone have expierence doing focus on Sony HDTV's. Anyway to push the focus further on the Sony? I had Qpam at 0 and DQP at 42, and it had improved considerably, but still wasn't as focused as the center of the television. Any suggestions? I would be willing to open up the back of my television to access pots if necessary. Please, advice would be much appreciated!

I have two floor speakers to the left and right of the Sony. Could these be hurting the television? I've tried removing them, and they don't seem to have any effect on the T.V. I know they are unshielded.

The middle bottom, or the bottom of a widescreen, is bowing upward. Which setting in the service menu addresses that? Please, I would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2973 Old 12-29-2005, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncasebee View Post

I'd like some more help with my television. Anyone have expierence doing focus on Sony HDTV's. Anyway to push the focus further on the Sony? I had Qpam at 0 and DQP at 42, and it had improved considerably, but still wasn't as focused as the center of the television. Any suggestions? I would be willing to open up the back of my television to access pots if necessary. Please, advice would be much appreciated!

I have two floor speakers to the left and right of the Sony. Could these be hurting the television? I've tried removing them, and they don't seem to have any effect on the T.V. I know they are unshielded.

The middle bottom, or the bottom of a widescreen, is bowing upward. Which setting in the service menu addresses that? Please, I would appreciate it.

First I need to "bitch" a little...!
You are willing to to remove the back of your TV and rummage around, voiding your warranty, but you are not willing to use the search tools to find relevant articles???....."bitching" over...!

1) Read Article #8 and #133
2) Unshielded speakers should not be anywhere near a CRT TV
3) Read Article #409
post #633 of 2973 Old 12-29-2005, 11:14 PM

Thankyou very much for the reply. Those articles are very helpful.I'm going to read them shortly. I've printed them off.

The two speakers I use for front left and right are Cerwin Vega E-712's. They don't have video shielding. When I bought them I didn't have a clue. Anyways. It seems that they don't have any effect on the Sony TV. I take them away, and there is no difference in focus or geometry. They are each about 1.5 feet straight line away from the TV. There is no discoloration. I've seen them cause that before when they were placed RIGHT next to the television. At this range however, there is none of that. I just don't want them to destroy my TV. What do you say now? Sorry this is really really off topic.
post #634 of 2973 Old 12-29-2005, 11:36 PM

Quote:

Thankyou very much for the reply. Those articles are very helpful.I'm going to read them shortly. I've printed them off.

The two speakers I use for front left and right are Cerwin Vega E-712's. They don't have video shielding. When I bought them I didn't have a clue. Anyways. It seems that they don't have any effect on the Sony TV. I take them away, and there is no difference in focus or geometry. They are each about 1.5 feet straight line away from the TV. There is no discoloration. I've seen them cause that before when they were placed RIGHT next to the television. At this range however, there is none of that. I just don't want them to destroy my TV. What do you say now?

I do not know enough about your speakers, but the logic is: Very weak magnets are used on the tube to correct the direction and landing of the beam, unshielded speakers contain rather strong magnets, so...!
post #635 of 2973 Old 12-30-2005, 12:10 PM

I've read article # 133 dealing with the focus pot inside the television. However, If my center focus is just fine, should I even do anything with the pot. Is there any hope in fixing more left and right edge focus by using the focus pot. Qpam is the SM register that is helping me the most.If I set it to 0 the left and right focus become their best, but still not nearly as good as the center. The right seems to be the worst. The DQP register can bring the left into focus all by itself when lowered. However, it seems the reverse is not true for the right. If I go the other way there is a point where the right refuses to get any better with the DQP balance register. I'm just throwing out what I have. I still haven't written any settings yet.Guess I need to diddle some more with the DQP. I think that's the register that's hanging me up.

#8 :::
Quote:

LEFT-RIGHT BALANCE is #8 DQP.

#133:::
Quote:

(6) Look at the focus patterns at the middle of the left and right edges of the screen, and adjust #0 QPAM for best focus and #2 QPAP for best balance between left and right.

In article #133 it suggests that QPap is the left right balance register, and in #8 it says that DQP is the left right balance setting. Is there something I'm not getting. Does DQP interact with Qpap? Maybe this would affect my DQP register having a significant affect on the right side?

By using the pot, could I obtain more left and right edge focus?

If I raised the focus of the entire screen, then maybe Qpam could focus the edges farther? The article said I could never obtain focus at the edges like I could at the center, and this discourages me from even trying to obtain better focus.

Any thoughts? My problem is focus correct? Text is blurry at the right and left middle edges of the screen.

Also, putting test patterns on a GumStick and trying to view them with the Picture Viewer on the KV36HS500 does not work. No matter what I have done, the patterns just exhibit viewing error's, yet pictures taken with a sony camera work just fine. David Taylor's TVWriter program fixes the problem, but it also messes with the size and res of the input test patterns which isn't wanted.I've tried correct naming and folder convention, but that doesn't work.

My TV requires some sort of header on the JPEG file for it to work in the Viewer. I searched the post, and others have this problem too, but I don't think it got fixed. Anyone with other fixes? Simply throwing them on a gumstick doesn't work. I think I might try a flash drive with my Xbox. I did that and the patterns seem good. I'll just use that.
post #636 of 2973 Old 12-31-2005, 11:24 AM

Well, I thought I had everything pretty much done as far as overscan goes on my KV-32HS510. I have about 3% overscan now on dvd's and HD Cable, which is about what I wanted.

Today, I turned on my Gamecube, and to my horror, it looks like a really bad case of UNDERscan. At least 3-5% underscan around all of the edges. This happens in 480i/p on my Gamecube and PS2. The problem does not however happen on my Xbox360 at 480p or 720p/1080i.

I went into the diagnostic page, and it seems like my tv shares all of the diagnostic settings across all inputs and resolutions. So I don't know how I can eliminate the underscan without having a ton of overscan with my dvd player and cable.

Does anyone have any insight on this? I am pretty confused on what I can do to fix this.
post #637 of 2973 Old 12-31-2005, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasHBurN View Post

Yes, it is the whole top and bottom...it looks something like this (but not quite as drastic)...

//////////////
||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
//////////////

bottom

Also, I still have not been able to fix this problem with the very top of my screen curving right and the very bottom curving left. Someone mentioned to check the attachment on post 409, but there was nothing in it about this problem.
post #638 of 2973 Old 12-31-2005, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Well, I thought I had everything pretty much done as far as overscan goes on my KV-32HS510. I have about 3% overscan now on dvd's and HD Cable, which is about what I wanted.

Today, I turned on my Gamecube, and to my horror, it looks like a really bad case of UNDERscan. At least 3-5% underscan around all of the edges. This happens in 480i/p on my Gamecube and PS2. The problem does not however happen on my Xbox360 at 480p or 720p/1080i.

I went into the diagnostic page, and it seems like my tv shares all of the diagnostic settings across all inputs and resolutions. So I don't know how I can eliminate the underscan without having a ton of overscan with my dvd player and cable.

Does anyone have any insight on this? I am pretty confused on what I can do to fix this.

Read the thread or use the "Search this Thread" tool. There are several post on that exact problem. You have got to invest a little time...we did...!!
post #639 of 2973 Old 12-31-2005, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Also, I still have not been able to fix this problem with the very top of my screen curving right and the very bottom curving left. Someone mentioned to check the attachment on post 409, but there was nothing in it about this problem.

There are about 10-12 settings that can impact the vertical lines and they all impact each other. It's impossible to tell you which, that's why I attached the very informative drawings. If you cannot fix it to your satisfaction, hide it using overscan. If the overscan doesn't exceed 5%, you are fine.
post #640 of 2973 Old 12-31-2005, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Any thoughts? My problem is focus correct? Text is blurry at the right and left middle edges of the screen.

I only mentioned a couple of post that deals with focus. There are many many more to read. Search and read on...there might not be an exact answer to your exact problem, but this forum has touched on almost all existing settings.

Read, get inspired, fix your problem - then you tell all of us exactly what you did.
post #641 of 2973 Old 12-31-2005, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This thread seems to be about bigger and more expensive models than my little kv-20fs120, but I'm interested in tinkering in the service menu to get the best out of my tv, for practice so I'll be less likely to make mistakes on a larger tv in the future and just for the fun of it. BUT, info on this model is pretty hard to come by, probably because it's so low end that no one ever bothered..

Most of the problems with it are minor and I'll probably be able to fix with DVE once it gets here (except for a slight convergence problem, which I don't think this model has adjustments for), the problem is I don't know what all of the abbreviations in the service menu are. I've managed to get some of the basics from a combination of the things posted early in this thread, and "SONY Service Mode NTSC Version Compiled by Anthony W. Haukap" and a little bit of guessing, but the meaning of the majority of the three hundred settings remain a mystery to me.

I copied down all the names of the settings and their default values in a text document, to which I added the few definitions I could find. I'd get the service manual, but I read that they rarely reveal the meanings of the settings (how the heck do people learn them, then?).

If no one knows where I can find the meaning of all the individual settings, maybe someone could help me understand at least what the categories mean..

They are:

DEF ntsc - I found descriptions for most things in this category, it mostly has to do with geometry stuff.

16:9 ntsc - I'm pretty sure this is for the 16:9 enhanced mode

VP1 ntsc - has controls for the guns and a lot of stuff I have no idea about

vp2 ntsc - no idea

NR ntsc - no idea

Pallet pro - I think they're picture, brightness, etc controls, with a lot of other settings I don't know the meaning of

y ntsc - no idea

C ntsc - no idea

RGB ntsc - no idea

Defd ntsc - no idea

other ntsc - no idea

h/w akb ntsc - still no idea..

audio ntsc - FINALLY, I word I understand.. too bad I don't know what more than half the settings are for

ap2 ntsc - no idea

micro ntsc - no idea

feature ntsc - no idea what the features are or what their settings control

tvsettings.txt 7.20703125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: txt tvsettings.txt (7.2 KB, 5 views)
post #642 of 2973 Old 01-01-2006, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
d'oh

I spent hours searching, and right after I decided to give up and ask for help, I found what I was looking for.

I can't post the url, so if anyone needs it, pm me

It's for a slightly different model, but the settings I've checked so far have the same names as mine.

Now I have a new question.. Where is the best glossary of terms for tv calibration terms? I have no idea what things like "eht mode" and "matrix ratio select" are..
post #643 of 2973 Old 01-01-2006, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

By using the pot, could I obtain more left and right edge focus?

If I raised the focus of the entire screen, then maybe Qpam could focus the edges farther? The article said I could never obtain focus at the edges like I could at the center, and this discourages me from even trying to obtain better focus.

Does the pot even affect the edges of the screen?

The article says this because that is the nature of any flat-screen CRT. You might even have to sacrifice center focus to get the edge focus decent. On my Pioneer RPTV, the ISF tech defocused the center ever so slightly to get the extremities focused a bit better. The overall effect is quite nice, as too much center focus (a common mistake) is distracting and causes you to obsess. Not sure if the Sony direct-view CRT works the same though.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #644 of 2973 Old 01-01-2006, 07:10 PM

That definately helps. I'm getting the courage up to drill the hole and do a full focus readjustment. I will have to remember that. Maybe my center focus is too focused, that could be too. Thx.
post #645 of 2973 Old 01-02-2006, 02:50 PM

Could someone please repost the service manual for the Sony 30HS420, I can't seem to get the links to work.
post #646 of 2973 Old 01-02-2006, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoloTheRomeo View Post

Could someone please repost the service manual for the Sony 30HS420, I can't seem to get the links to work.

I was having problems and here's what I did - Right click on the document hyperlink and then "open in a new window." Maybe this will work for you.
post #647 of 2973 Old 01-02-2006, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Bumping focus info previously posted in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTech View Post

Overall focus is a compromise between focusing bright objects and focusing dark objects, as the scanning dot "blooms" as it gets bright. I will be writing an improved article #07 soon about how to do this more precisely, including the internal focus control on the HV transformer. QPDC *adjusts* the overall dynamic focus of the screen, and its effect is mostly visible in the center. But other adjustments in the 2170P-4 "QP--" series affect the sides, top & bottom, and corners. Using anything but a 2-dinensional high-contrast pattern will mislead you into focusing wrongly -- don't use the raster lines as a criterion! One could argue that an HD broadcast of a sporting event and its long shots of the crowd might be the best pattern. If you diddle, write down the settings before changing them.

DF and DQF are left-right spot-shape balance controls and should maybe be left alone for now. My article will describe how to adjust them using Sony's official methods.

- AVStefan
post #648 of 2973 Old 01-02-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphish View Post

I was having problems and here's what I did - Right click on the document hyperlink and then "open in a new window." Maybe this will work for you.

Thanks, that worked for me as well. Can't believe I didn't think about trying that.
post #649 of 2973 Old 01-02-2006, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

On my 30-XS955 I use the internal QAM tuner to watch Cable; 480i DVD through component to Video 5; and D* HDTivo through HDMI (Video 7).

If I mess around with the geometry in the Service Menu, which I would do while on Video 5, will my changes affect the tuner and Video 7? Also, are geometry changes effective for all picture modes (vivid, pro, std) (I'm guessing yes).

I have the geometry pages from the 34XBR service manual that are posted in the early portion of this thread and they describe tweaking geometry for Full mode, then normal, zoom, widezoom, (twinview which I don't have) and finally HD1080i. If I do all of this while on Video 5, am I all set?

Thanks.
post #650 of 2973 Old 01-02-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:

On my 30-XS955 I use the internal QAM tuner to watch Cable; 480i DVD through component to Video 5; and D* HDTivo through HDMI (Video 7).

If I mess around with the geometry in the Service Menu, which I would do while on Video 5, will my changes affect the tuner and Video 7? Also, are geometry changes effective for all picture modes (vivid, pro, std) (I'm guessing yes).

I have the geometry pages from the 34XBR service manual that are posted in the early portion of this thread and they describe tweaking geometry for Full mode, then normal, zoom, widezoom, (twinview which I don't have) and finally HD1080i. If I do all of this while on Video 5, am I all set?

Thanks.

Read post #513 and #514 in this forum
post #651 of 2973 Old 01-02-2006, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptchristensen View Post

Read post #513 and #514 in this forum

I did and am not sure what the answer to my question is. Are you saying that the geometry settings for one video input will not be effective for other inputs, or just won't be effective for the tuner? If its only the tuner that the changes are not effective for, then what source material should I use for adjusting geometry for the tuner?
post #652 of 2973 Old 01-02-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:

I did and am not sure what the answer to my question is. Are you saying that the geometry settings for one video input will not be effective for other inputs, or just won't be effective for the tuner? If its only the tuner that the changes are not effective for, then what source material should I use for adjusting geometry for the tuner?

When you read the grid in the service manual, some entries are universial like 2170D-1, 0, VPOS. Others like MID3, 0, VDHP have settings for both input and input format. Others again have settings for input format and picture mode(vivid, pro..). If there is a specific setting for your input or input format, changes will not impact other inputs and formats.

On 4:3 TV's I would start with the Tuner 480i input in the 2170D-1 and 2 menues. Then the others using the MID2 and 3 settings.

Read the mentioned post, again or search the forum using "Search This Thread".
post #653 of 2973 Old 01-03-2006, 01:05 AM

Is there a way to fix the problem I have where there is a yellow tint to the far left side of the screen like below. It's easy to see on a white screen.

||||

Thanks.
post #654 of 2973 Old 01-03-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev01vEd View Post

Is there a way to fix the problem I have where there is a yellow tint to the far left side of the screen like below. It's easy to see on a white screen.

||||

Thanks.

Use the "Search this Thread" tool and search for Landing.
post #655 of 2973 Old 01-03-2006, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptchristensen View Post

Use the "Search this Thread" tool and search for Landing.

I've heard about the Landing aswell but unforttunatly for me the "landing" is not on my KV30HS420.
post #656 of 2973 Old 01-03-2006, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

So only the XBR960 and XS955 models have the LAND parameters?

- AVStefan
post #657 of 2973 Old 01-03-2006, 10:33 PM

Just my luck... I have a KV30HS420. Is there anything similar to "landing" for it?
post #658 of 2973 Old 01-04-2006, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev01vEd View Post

Just my luck... I have a KV30HS420. Is there anything similar to "landing" for it?

Yeah, unfortunatly. When I read about the landing that could corrected the corners of the screen I quickly enterd the SM, and nothing.
I'd like to know aswell if there is anything similar to "landing" for the HS420 models.
post #659 of 2973 Old 01-07-2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

This is meant to be humorous, right? I'm not trying to be facetious, but this subject has honestly been discussed in great detail in several threads... especially in a number of recent threads posted by new XBOX owners seeking to tweak their Sony sets (e.g. XBR960) to eliminate overscan.

Assuming you're into the service menu (and are familiar with how it is entered, used, saved, and exited), the primary recipe approach is fundamentally twofold: (1) use the VPOS and VSIZ items in the 2170D-1 group, and the HPOS and HSIZ items in the 2170D-2 service menu group, to adjust the "background raster" (aka "canvas") in both horizontal and vertical directions. Then (2) in the MID3 group you use 0 (VDHP horizontal position), 1 (VDHS horizontal size), 2 (VDVE vertical position) and 3 (VDVS vertical size) to manipulate the 1080i/720p "image" on top of the "background" (i.e. within the "background raster").

2170D-1 and 2170D-2 are used to adjust the "canvas" to reach to the physical edges of the screen, so that the image then placed on top of it can utilize all available screen real estate. MID3 is used for the 1080i and 720p image size and placement adjustments, within the background raster area set by 2170D-1 and 2170D-2. You position and size the image over the background so that it is fully visible and reaches to the extreme edges of the background for 0% overscan. Then you enlarge it just a bit more in all four directions (using the test pattern on your screen as the guide) to "crop" out the video noise which you may see at 0% overscan, losing perhaps 1-2% of the image in this final "overscan" adjustment.

As you get into each part of the adjustments, clicking up or down one unit at a time so that you see the precise results of your tweak, you focus on getting the extreme outer edge of the test pattern rectangle visible on your screen. When you're done (at 0% overscan), the complete rectangle should be totally visible on all four sides. No wasted screen, and nothing eliminated (at 0% overscan).

There is an assumption that you have a proper 16:9 test pattern on your screen, the best of which can be found attached to this post which if you can connect your PC to your HDTV is ideal. If you have a video card like ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, it has a second DVI head and you can connect it to your Sony with a DVI-to-HDMI cable setup. Or, you can get the ATI DVI-to-component adapter and connect the second head to your Sony with component video cables.

Otherwise, you can use Avia or DVE DVD's to display geometry and overscan test patterns, though at 480p. Using DVE, you can go to Title 12 (Display Setup Patterns) and then Chapter 17 (1:33 overscan pattern), with the latter "spread" to 16:9 by the MODE button on your remote.

Hope this helps.

I have the Sony KV-30HS420 and even though the service manual has it listed, my service menu does not have the: VDHP, VDHS, VDVE, or the VDVS settings. I'm looking under MID-3 but I do not see it anywhere here or under any of the other categories. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
post #660 of 2973 Old 01-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Only I have a 34xs955 which is supposed to be (on the whole) the same set. Some of my other menus are a little off as well, but MID3 has none of the settings listed in the service manual and a complete search of ALL the menus found none of those adjustment parameters. My set has a build date of July 2005. Has there been a revamping of the SM to keep us twiddlers at bay?!?

What gives?
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page