THE SONY SERVICE CODES - Articles, Comments, Discoveries - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2006, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I noticed on my XBR960 the left side of the screen is slightly darker and less focused vs. the rest of the screen , is there a service menu adjustment that might help this? Im familiar with navigating through the menu & making adjustments.. Just not sure what to try here.

I took this shot with my digicam which shows the symptoms , notice in the area where it says "Deliver the Amulet" the white backround gradualy turns grey on the left side of the screen, also the text gradualy loses focus on the left. Any ideas appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2006, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well crt's don't generally have a uniform brightness.So this could be a reason to consider.

Theres nothing you can really do since it's inherant to CRT technology.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
not too long, im still under sony warranty...
sbrt is at 31, unless it didnt save, but im sure it did
and then after that i did dve in my 360, my brightness got brought down to 27 and picture went up to 40.. on the sliders...
i am not in a pitch black room i have two lamps in the room.... (i know part of the problem is glare)

as soon as i can, before changing my settings im going to take a picture of these things i speak of...
Old 03-25-2006, 05:11 AM

I have an issue with my kv-30hs420. I was playing some FPSs (Doom 3) on the xbox last night and the whites would blur (make trails) when I moved real fast. It never did that on any other tv I had. I thought I might have had the picture (contrast) up to high, but turning it down did nothing. Is there anything to tweak for this issue? Also on the top left side of the screen the horizontal lines seem to bend slightly downward, yet the bottom left seems straight as can be. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:24 AM

Quote:

To other Sony KD-36XS955 owners out there, including KenTech,
I would also see what your "tweaked out" service menu settings are as well.
Please share them.
Thanks!

I would like to second that request. I suppose I could go through the entire 43 page thread, but most of the settings have "evolved" over time. Therefore if I do go back and review the entire thread it will probably have to done backwards in order to get the most recent settings first.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:47 AM

I recently read that if one adjust the overscan just to the edges of the sony kd-34xbr960, that it will give distortion...like a fun house mirror when the picture scans. Has anyone heard of this?

With the 34xbr 960, what shoud the dimensions of the 4:3 display be? I have adjusted the geometry and when a 4:3 picture is displayed I am not sure if it is the right size.

Thanks

Las Vegas
Old 03-25-2006, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Disregard.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:26 AM

??

Las Vegas
Old 03-25-2006, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I wasn't referring to your post. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 View Post

Well crt's don't generally have a uniform brightness.So this could be a reason to consider.

Theres nothing you can really do since it's inherant to CRT technology.

Hrm well my original XBR960 didnt do this so I figured something needs to be adjusted on this one..

Surely KenTech has some ideas?
Old 03-25-2006, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

depends on the tv mathestar, some have it.. some don't.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

Hrm well my original XBR960 didnt do this so I figured something needs to be adjusted on this one.

There is a lot of variation from tube to tube, and mere mortals attach and align the deflection yoke, focus coils, and permanent magnets. So, sure, the finished TVs vary even more.

First the CRT sets all have a "hot" center area, and there's nothing that can be done. Sony could have compensated completely for it but didn't.

However, the picture you posted looks like a beam-landing problem to me, and you should try fixing it. It's one of the first things I did to my own set.

Read the article here.

If no amount of adjustment fixes a really dark patch at the center-left, you have a cause, I believe, to call out a service tech for a service-warranty adjustment. That is, if *they* can even fix it. If the deflection yoke is mismounted to the CRT, that will be a tough one, since a service tech might be afraid to touch it. You might suggest that it's a "purity" problem, and it might require repositioning of the yoke. But good luck! It may be fixable by you in SM in a jiffy.

Put up a uniform 50-75% gray or similar screen to see the real extent of the problem. A somewhat hot center is normal. A dark patch only at left-center is not. Use that screen to make your adjustments. The AVIA and DVE DVDs have suitable patterns available.

BTW, do you have a loudspeaker or other possible magnetic source at the left of the screen? An unshielded speaker too close to the screen can do this.

KenTech
"We all get smart slowly."
Old 03-25-2006, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
To other Sony KD-36XS955 owners out there, including KenTech,
I would also see what your "tweaked out" service menu settings are as well.
Please share them.

I would be pleased to do this, but I have to explain: Some of these settings will do you no good. In particular, the settings for beam landing, geometry, dynamic focus, and dynamic convergence are really peculiar to each TV, as these are the adjustments that compensate for manufacturing variations, etc. The best starting point is frequently the default settings listed in the service-data charts.

Further, recommendations for anything having to do with brightness, white color temperature, grayscale accuracy, etc. can only be approximate, too. TVs vary somewhat, as you can see from reading recent posts on the 2170P-1SBRT, _CUT, and _DRV parameters.

On the matter of color decoding, the settings for 2170P-4: RYR, RYB, GYR, GYB tend to agree for common DVD players and the standard calibration disks. I like 14-14-6-4 for *zero* red push and minimum exaggerated blues. And that's way different from Sony's original settings! Others have tried and liked 13-15-5-3. You have to do it with *your* TV and a calibration disk, but I believe 14-14-6-4 would get very close.

On the matter of image processing, the fine-pitch TVs are likely very much alike, and so posting values for the 2170P-3, 2103-1, and MID5 parameters makes sense. They may even be useful for the HS510 and HS420 sets, but I have no exprience with these.

So should I post (again) the image-processing stuff? What would you like to see?

KenTech
"We all get smart slowly."
Old 03-25-2006, 02:12 PM

I assumed the fact that geometry settings are unique to each set. I was most interested in the image-processing stuff, not so much to copy them value for value, but to compare them with my current settings to get an idea of what direction to go when trying to optimize my particular settings.

Kentech, it goes without saying (but I'll try anyway) that your work on these service codes has been nothing short of phenomenal. I share your belief that non-professional people can figure this stuff out if we work at it hard enough. You have worked unbelievably hard and then some on this stuff and were also generous enough to take the time to share your findings with the rest of us.

Thanks for all your time and generous contributions to this forum, they are much appreciated!
Old 03-25-2006, 02:56 PM

Hi KenTech,
My KD-36XS955 has shown BIG improvements from your tweaks in the imaging processing areas. I have not started on the other areas yet.
I noticed that you changed certain settings quite alot since you started this thread.
Its so long that I just don't have time to read all the way through it.
What I and others would like to see is a quick run down summary of YOUR OWN PERSONAL latest [3-25-06] settings on your KD-36XS955.
I know these tv's do vary greatly and the values are only approximate, but it would still be very informative and interesting to read, especially in such areas as:
SBRT
RDRV
GDRV
BDRV
RCUT
GCUT
UBOF
GAMMA, GAMMS,GAMR,GAMG,GAMB
2103-1, 2170P-3, MID5 PERIMETERS.

On the last posts that I skimmed through last night, you had your CUTS at 43-21-24
SBRT at 29, and DRV values at 41-27-20, GAMMA at 0 in PRO, with GAMR-GAMB at 0-0-1, GAMMA at 1 in MOVIE with GAMR-GAMB at 3-3-4, etc., etc. Are these still accurate as of today?
Thanks a million, KenTech.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTech View Post

There is a lot of variation from tube to tube, and mere mortals attach and align the deflection yoke, focus coils, and permanent magnets. So, sure, the finished TVs vary even more.

First the CRT sets all have a "hot" center area, and there's nothing that can be done. Sony could have compensated completely for it but didn't.

However, the picture you posted looks like a beam-landing problem to me, and you should try fixing it. It's one of the first things I did to my own set.

Read the article here.

If no amount of adjustment fixes a really dark patch at the center-left, you have a cause, I believe, to call out a service tech for a service-warranty adjustment. That is, if *they* can even fix it. If the deflection yoke is mismounted to the CRT, that will be a tough one, since a service tech might be afraid to touch it. You might suggest that it's a "purity" problem, and it might require repositioning of the yoke. But good luck! It may be fixable by you in SM in a jiffy.

Put up a uniform 50-75% gray or similar screen to see the real extent of the problem. A somewhat hot center is normal. A dark patch only at left-center is not. Use that screen to make your adjustments. The AVIA and DVE DVDs have suitable patterns available.

BTW, do you have a loudspeaker or other possible magnetic source at the left of the screen? An unshielded speaker too close to the screen can do this.

No unshielded speakers nearby, I tried doing the landing adjustments as described but I couldnt get it to make any differance, when looking at a solid gray screen you can see that the center is brightest and the corners and sides are all slightly darker but its alittle more noticable on the left side,same thing when looking at a Focus pattern ,center is the most focused but left and right are slightly off, with left side being worse.. would a Sony tech even consider these symptoms out of the normal range of operation, or should I just live with it?
Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Your just going to have to live with it, it's a CRT thing you know.

After a while once you get used to it you probably won't notice it.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:50 PM

BTW, I would really like to say thank you to Ken and everyone else who has contributed to this thread. It has been so very helpful. Again, thank you.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:10 PM

going to take the pictures now...
Old 03-25-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

looking foward to it, it would make it easier for us to see what you are seeing as long as you have good lighting to take the picture and such.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 View Post

Your just going to have to live with it, it's a CRT thing you know.

After a while once you get used to it you probably won't notice it.

Yea its not that bad really, Only noticable when playing games and actually looking for it, although I would like to get the geometry fixed in the corners sometime (bowing in all 4 corners).. I'll have to see if I can find an ISF around here.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Good luck!

Geometry should be fairly simple to do in the service menu, ask KenTech he should be able to help you out.

About geometry though on CRT's, you can make it acceptible, but it will never be perfect.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:47 PM

If this sounds familiar, I've asked about it once before in another thread. I still haven't gotten a guess as to what it might be.

On my TV--a 30xs955--I notice two vertical bars a few inches in from both the left and right sides of the screen. They are only really visible against a very bright image, and they appear as slightly brighter bars extending the entire height of the screen. What happens is, when text is scrolling across the screen or the camera pans, the picture seems to curve when it hits those two spots. It's like the entire image dips down and comes back up once it's past those bars. Does that make sense? What could cause something like this, and can it be fixed?

I'm discussing a 16:9 image here, and I believe these bars exist outside of the area of a 4:3 image. So, here's a possible clue: I still get the bars when watching 4:3 material, but they are now moved to within the 4:3 space in a position relative to where they are in a 16:9 image. Could this have something to do with the focus? I really don't even know what I'm talking about with that, so I probably shouldn't throw out guesses. I would like to know if this is something that can be dealt with.

Interestingly, my father has a Loewe CRT, and it has the same issue. So, you'll be helping two people if you can help me.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:48 PM

http://photobucket.com/albums/y158/irhxcbcziuzxs/TV/

ill leave you to sort through what pics are good and what arent
anyways...
thats with sbrt to 31
Old 03-26-2006, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irhxcbcziuzxs View Post

http://photobucket.com/albums/y158/irhxcbcziuzxs/TV/

ill leave you to sort through what pics are good and what arent
anyways...
thats with sbrt to 31

Hrm SBRT 31 seems high are you having to turn your TV's brightness below 31 to get good black levels?

A lot of the shots are blurred but the ones I can see look normal to me , You need to use a Torch to see through most of that area which is why the guard gives you one early in the game. If the TV were at fault I would think your health / status bar on the bottom would be dark as well, which it isnt. What do you have your TV's brightness set at? and did you try changing the in-game brightness setting?

I checked my SBRT yesterday and it was defaulted at 20, I changed it to 21 (after 21 I started to see the blacks turning gray) and also changed the default UBOF setting for Video 6 (Xbox360) from 1 to 2, with those settings I have my TV set at Brightness 31 , Picture 38 (Standard mode) and have Oblivions in game brightness turned up a few clicks above default and everything looks good, Oblivion is a dark game at times tho and I try to play with as little room lighting as possible during the day.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:24 AM

irhxcbcziuzxs,

Did you also adjust ubof in the service menu?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

You should'nt have to adjust UBOF for that input though, the SBRT should take care of it.You only adjust UBOF to balance the rest of the inputs in black level, not the input you are calibrating.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Heck i'm still fiddling with an SBRT setting of either 28 or 29.

Anybody else using 28? KenTech have you tried 28? or do you prefur 29.just curious that's all since Nightwatchmen seems to prefur 28 and you 29 for an SBRT setting.

Matt~
Old 03-26-2006, 12:59 PM

http://photobucket.com/albums/y158/i...t=IMG_0004.jpg

see how the cars black blends in with the back ground, this was from page four
the pictures ive seen of oblivion are lighter than that.

i hear that people are having darkness problem with burnout however.. but i dont believe they are that bad.. not sure though
Old 03-26-2006, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Your brightness is too low then since the car should stand out from the background not blend in with it.

Have you tried turning the ingame brightness in the game up?