post #1351 of 2973 Old 04-02-2006, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 View Post

Lack of color in PRO mode???

Never heard that one before but i guess i can make this case an exception. Turning up color does not fix the image it just blurs the image because of color bleeding and you lose detail in clothing etc.

buty i can understand your comment on not worrying about raising color each time he uses another source so yeah, the service menu option UCOF would bea good idea.As for setting color in particular though,personally i would'nt set it any higher than the middle,i have mine at 27 which is 4 clicks from the middle.Looks great!! Too much color is'nt too pleasing to the eyes,but since color is basically set to prefurence,set to what ever way makes it look good to you.

I'm refering to gaming purposes, not everyday watching purposes. I have a really good eye when it comes to color in video games, and Pro mode is no where near where it should be for that purpose. That's why I now use Vivid (with some tweaks of course) for my gaming needs, and Pro for watching TV. Mine is about around 27 as well, but video games (especially the Xbox 360) rely on really vibrant colors and by turning up UCOF all that is really doing is making up for the lack of color detail that is taken away by setting BLK to 0. When BLK is set at 0 the images are brighter, but it also takes away the natural shades from colors as well meaning you have to compensate. None of this applies to regular TV or DVDs in any way at all, it just mainly applies to video games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2973 Old 04-02-2006, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok i get you now
post #1353 of 2973 Old 04-02-2006, 07:08 PM

Cool, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't confusing anybody. All the tweaks I talk about are for people who play video games, if the same tweaks were to be made to regular TV or DVD I'm pretty sure the results would be rather nasty.
post #1354 of 2973 Old 04-03-2006, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

When I try to download the XBR960 Service Data PDF from the first post on the first page, anyone know why at the end of the download I get a message saying "Cannot Copy File: Cannot read from the source file or disk"? Then it just aborts the download.
post #1355 of 2973 Old 04-03-2006, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
Nevermind it seemed to be an IE issue, it worked with Firefox.
post #1356 of 2973 Old 04-03-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboZX View Post

When I try to download the XBR960 Service Data PDF from the first post on the first page, anyone know why at the end of the download I get a message saying "Cannot Copy File: Cannot read from the source file or disk"? Then it just aborts the download.

yeah I think the amended pdf can be found in post #11 of The Sony Service Codes
post #1357 of 2973 Old 04-03-2006, 03:01 PM

VIvid is bad because it is bad for the TV, not necesarrily because people dont like it...
anyways...

all my other channels are fine, my ps2 is fine on video 6
my movies seem ok on my 360, but they arent running on 1080i
HDTV channels seem to be fine though too....
post #1358 of 2973 Old 04-03-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irhxcbcziuzxs View Post

VIvid is bad because it is bad for the TV, not necesarrily because people dont like it...
anyways...

all my other channels are fine, my ps2 is fine on video 6
my movies seem ok on my 360, but they arent running on 1080i
HDTV channels seem to be fine though too....

No, Vivid is not bad if set correctly. The only way Vivid can harm your TV is if you leave the Picture setting jacked up all the way. Vivid is what you want for gaming, the little added things in Vivid that people hate to see in their HDTV programming or DVDs is exactly what you want to see in video games. It's all a matter of preference though either way you look at it, whatever looks good to you is good enough.
post #1359 of 2973 Old 04-03-2006, 05:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoloTheRomeo View Post

Vivid is what you want for gaming, the little added things in Vivid that people hate to see in their HDTV programming or DVDs is exactly what you want to see in video games. It's all a matter of preference though either way you look at it, whatever looks good to you is good enough.

I recently worked on setting up my cousin's several year old 34XBR800 and his new SA8300, so that he could finally step into the HD world on the HD-capable set he'd purchased several years ago.

The TV is in his family room which has lots and lots of floor-to-ceiling picture windows, allowing in lots of broad daylight during daylight hours. And the TV screen pretty much faces these windows. So it turns out that this makes watching in PRO mode essentially impossible during the day, as the picture is just so dark that you can only barely make out any picture on the screen. Since he likes to watch CNN (SD, obviously) when he's having breakfast in this room, going into VIVID was quite simply the only solution to the problem. I agreed with him. Of course this is a special situation, and I pleaded with him not to keep it this way for night viewing when the room was dark.

Obviously, my tweaks on his setup were done at night, in a dark room, for matching the expected recommended viewing environment for HD and DVD content. I've made him promise me (on pain of death) that he will not watch HD/DVD content while still in VIVID but will go back to my PRO settings at night.

VIVID definitely has its uses, when appropriate.
post #1360 of 2973 Old 04-03-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I recently worked on setting up my cousin's several year old 34XBR800 and his new SA8300, so that he could finally step into the HD world on the HD-capable set he'd purchased several years ago.

The TV is in his family room which has lots and lots of floor-to-ceiling picture windows, allowing in lots of broad daylight during daylight hours. And the TV screen pretty much faces these windows. So it turns out that this makes watching in PRO mode essentially impossible during the day, as the picture is just so dark that you can only barely make out any picture on the screen. Since he likes to watch CNN (SD, obviously) when he's having breakfast in this room, going into VIVID was quite simply the only solution to the problem. I agreed with him. Of course this is a special situation, and I pleaded with him not to keep it this way for night viewing when the room was dark.

Obviously, my tweaks on his setup were done at night, in a dark room, for matching the expected recommended viewing environment for HD and DVD content. I've made him promise me (on pain of death) that he will not watch HD/DVD content while still in VIVID but will go back to my PRO settings at night.

VIVID definitely has its uses, when appropriate.

Once again I will say that I am saying only to use Vivid while gaming, at no other time do I use it. The image that Vivid provides with the right tweaks (and picture and brightness sliders at 31 clicks which is the middle) is unbelievable while gaming, it looks terrible for anything else though. I use pro mode for regular TV watching and Movie mode (tweaked) for DVDs, and Vivid for my PS2 and Xbox 360.
post #1361 of 2973 Old 04-03-2006, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone know if its possible to fix or at least adjust some of the geometry errors im seeing on my XBR960, Straight lines going across the screen tend to bend downward in the upper left & right corners and bend upward in the lower corners, the lower right corner is the worst .I took this pic and you can defiantely see the upward bend in the lower right, It's not bugging me that bad but would be nice if I could at least improve it.

post #1362 of 2973 Old 04-03-2006, 09:34 PM

Mathesar, one word...magnets. I corrected most of it on my 955, do a search for my thread on horizontal distortion. For the fearless and it may still not remove completely but you will see an improvement if you decide to (*gulp*) stick your hand back there. It isn't easy as there is a lot of trail and error so if you're not a patient person, it may not be in your best interest to try it.
post #1363 of 2973 Old 04-03-2006, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

Anyone know if its possible to fix or at least adjust some of the geometry errors im seeing on my XBR960, Straight lines going across the screen tend to bend downward in the upper left & right corners and bend upward in the lower corners, the lower right corner is the worst .I took this pic and you can defiantely see the upward bend in the lower right, It's not bugging me that bad but would be nice if I could at least improve it.

Seems as though your picture is at least brighter now.
post #1364 of 2973 Old 04-03-2006, 11:52 PM

I received my second 960N today. The first, from ABT, arrived damaged and is waiting to go back. This one I picked up from FRY's. It's new, not a demo, and I was pleased to find it. I have an adjustment question. I have been studying this forum for awhile but I am unsure exactly where to go in the service menu to correct this problem. My set is brighter in the center than at the left and right edges. These edges are a bit bluer than the rest of the screen and then become slightly pink as they transition to the bright center. All of this is quite subtle with the pink being just detectable (I don't think it is an optical illusion caused by the adjacent blue). It is only apparent with extremely light material. I tried the adjustments in the landing section of the service menu but they had no effect. I don't know if what I see is just a limitation of this CRT technology or something which could be ameliorated by fine tuning. Has anyone experienced this?
post #1365 of 2973 Old 04-04-2006, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapson View Post

Mathesar, one word...magnets. I corrected most of it on my 955, do a search for my thread on horizontal distortion.

So how about giving us a reference to your thread!

KenTech
"We all get smart slowly."
post #1366 of 2973 Old 04-04-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Mathesar, one word...magnets. I corrected most of it on my 955, do a search for my thread on horizontal distortion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTech View Post

So how about giving us a reference to your thread!

Here it is.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=651619
post #1367 of 2973 Old 04-04-2006, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your just going to have to live with it,geometry will never be perfect on the corners on a crt.
post #1368 of 2973 Old 04-04-2006, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a question for KenTech,

Did you use a refferance to adjust your CUTS and DRV's for black level and color temperature?IF so what would you prefur or what equipment did you use?

Would copying your CUTS and DRV settings do fine on my 34hs420?I mean...i used your other settings and they looked ok to me such as SBRT at 29, RYR-14,RYB-14,GYR-6,GYB-4

I trust your eyes since we both have come up with simialr results in the past few weeks,so i'm pretty confident that what works with your set will work with mine.

So i take it your color temp with those CUTS and DRV are pretty close to D6500k?Is it anywhere close to perfection?
post #1369 of 2973 Old 04-04-2006, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Mathesar, one word...magnets. I corrected most of it on my 955, do a search for my thread on horizontal distortion. For the fearless and it may still not remove completely but you will see an improvement if you decide to (*gulp*) stick your hand back there. It isn't easy as there is a lot of trail and error so if you're not a patient person, it may not be in your best interest to try it.

Thanks I read through your 'barrel distortion' thread and that is indeed whats going on with mine, Im just not sure what type of magnets to buy , you mentioned the 1/2" diameter magnet you tried was a bit strong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoloTheRomeo View Post

Seems as though your picture is at least brighter now.

Yea Im very happy with Xbox360's picture quality now ,My problem was trying to get Pro mode looking good with video games .. Standard mode and some minor UBOF / SBRT adjustments did the trick ,also using a Low VM setting gave it a nice boost in overall "crispness" especially with text which you see a lot of in Oblivion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 View Post

Your just going to have to live with it,geometry will never be perfect on the corners on a crt.

Well it looks like using magnets may help,I may try improving the lower right corner with this method. You would be very surprised how good the geometry is on my 24" FW900 CRT pc monitor ..its literally near perfect with no corner bowing or bends at all.
post #1370 of 2973 Old 04-04-2006, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

one word...magnets. I corrected most of it on my 955, do a search for my thread on horizontal distortion. For the fearless and it may still not remove completely but you will see an improvement if you decide to (*gulp*) stick your hand back there. It isn't easy as there is a lot of trail and error so if you're not a patient person, it may not be in your best interest to try it.

I think you are right about everything, and I haven't tried it myself yet. I had a service guy come out for a vertical convergence problem (horizontal lines), and he fixed that in a jiffy with the rotating magnets on the neck of the tube. When I asked him about the curvature in the corners and a slight bluish patch left of center, he reminded me of something I already believed: that you can get very screwed around with magnets. You adjust convergence/curvature in one place, and it goes out somewhere else. Deflection of the beam to straighten out those corners may conflict with vertical convergence for the same area, and so you may get the geometry right but have more color fringing on horizontal white lines. I say "may" because I don't have personal experience yet. (I do with computer monitors.)

I know there is a cluster of stick-on magnets on my tube just behind where the bluish patch is. Is it the cause or an attempt at a fix, I don't know? I'm motivated to find out. For now I'm ignoring it.

The service tech, in response to my request, didn't hesitate to give me a couple of "official" magnet assemblies. Each is a plastic base with self-stick tape, plus two independent magnets that can be (a) rotated to cancel or reinforce each other in strength, and (b) together rotated in any orientation. Haven't used them yet.

You might consider that *two* similar magnets stuck together might help you lessen the affect of a too-strong single magnet. Further, you have to consider whether the magnet's poles should be perpendicular to the tube, parallel to it, or somewhere in-between.

You can purchase at an Office-Depot-type store a flexible, rubbery, clay-like adhesive that you can mold into any shape. (Usually blue or white, maybe called "artists adhesive" or "type cleaner." Not a wax!) It doesn't deteriorate significantly with age and is great for adhering magnets to CRTs or nearby plastic in almost any position. Double-stick foam, by comparison, really limits your positioning ability and is hard to reposition without destruction.

KenTech
post #1371 of 2973 Old 04-05-2006, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ken
I've pulled apart 2 XBR960's that were made in Japan and there were none of these so-called "landing" magnets on the tube.

If memory serves me right the US xbr960's were made either in Mexico or USA.

Is it possible that these tube magnets, if removed could ameliorate your bluish patch just left off centre?.

No harm in trying once each magnet is "referenced" with Liquid paper prior to removal
Will
post #1372 of 2973 Old 04-05-2006, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtassone View Post

Is it possible that these tube magnets, if removed could ameliorate your bluish patch just left off centre?. No harm in trying once each magnet is "referenced" with Liquid paper prior to removal.

It is most certainly possible, and I intend to try! I have no reservations about numbering the magnets, outlining them on the tube, then removing them. They might all have been put there by an inexperienced setup technician.

Another example: The horizontal-trapezoid correction was way off (HTPZ), and was originally conpensated by another geometry setting being off in the other direction! Correcting HTPZ to , I was able to improve geometry by correcting the competing settings to more-reasonable values. So much for intellligent assembly-line procedures!

It's just that dealing with this monster and its subwoofer draped intimately over the tube, to modify the magnets, all while looking into a large mirror at a test pattern, is like trying to get up the enthusiasm to do your own brake job!

KenTech
post #1373 of 2973 Old 04-05-2006, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

You could try VCEN if you haven't already. It helped me reduce mine.
post #1374 of 2973 Old 04-05-2006, 03:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Not that I would do this myself (though others might), but convergence and corner geometry/linearity adjustments should use "convergence correction" magnets affixed to various places on the back of the picture tube. This was done to my XBR960 by a qualified Sony authorized service technician who was called to try and correct the usual convergence/bowing anomalies that many new sets exhibit. The resulting improvements were genuinely dramatic, but this guy really knew his stuff and spent about 2 hours (over 2 separate visits) getting things right.

The magnets are sort of square (perhaps 1/2" square) affixed to the end of what looks like a piece of Scotch tape. Once positioned properly the tape is pressed down to make the magnet stick to where you want it.

Looking at the XBR960 service manual (fold-out page 142), this is item #63, Sony part number 4-051-734-21 ("PIECE B(120), CONV CORRECT"). It should be available from Sony parts sources, or maybe its substitute 4-051-734-41. Price is about $1.33 each.

Again... proper fooling around in the back of the set (and its very high voltage) is not for the untrained. But these magnets are the solution.
post #1375 of 2973 Old 04-05-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks I read through your 'barrel distortion' thread and that is indeed whats going on with mine, Im just not sure what type of magnets to buy , you mentioned the 1/2" diameter magnet you tried was a bit strong?

Yes, the 1/2" dia. magnets were purchased at a local Radio Shack. I still haven't tracked down the appropriate magnets to use yet. Been watching too much tv.
post #1376 of 2973 Old 04-05-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Not that I would do this myself (though others might), but convergence and corner geometry/linearity adjustments should use "convergence correction" magnets affixed to various places on the back of the picture tube. This was done to my XBR960 by a qualified Sony authorized service technician who was called to try and correct the usual convergence/bowing anomalies that many new sets exhibit. The resulting improvements were genuinely dramatic, but this guy really knew his stuff and spent about 2 hours (over 2 separate visits) getting things right.

The magnets are sort of square (perhaps 1/2" square) affixed to the end of what looks like a piece of Scotch tape. Once positioned properly the tape is pressed down to make the magnet stick to where you want it.

Looking at the XBR960 service manual (fold-out page 142), this is item #63, Sony part number 4-051-734-21 ("PIECE B(120), CONV CORRECT"). It should be available from Sony parts sources, or maybe its substitute 4-051-734-41. Price is about $1.33 each.

Again... proper fooling around in the back of the set (and its very high voltage) is not for the untrained. But these magnets are the solution.

Thanks for the item number, I may call up Sony for these magnets. You're right, about the high voltage, just be very very careful not to touch anything. BTW, I spent hours adjusting, moving, turning the magnets to see the effect on the screen. Also, if anyone is interested, one can easily just point a flashlight through the top and sides of the tv to see the clusters of magnets around the tube.
post #1377 of 2973 Old 04-05-2006, 08:48 PM

i switched the componant cables to a different video, and it didnt help... because of the lack of adjustments on that video, the colors were awesome, but the black problem persisted... I decided to walk into EB today, and get them to put a copy of burn out in, and HEY, i could see, i dont know if i should sell the TV or not. I dont know what to do anymore.. the game was playing in 1080i
post #1378 of 2973 Old 04-05-2006, 10:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for the item number, I may call up Sony for these magnets.

I have the name and phone number of an electronics parts place in Santa Clarita CA that for sure has six of these magnets in stock, if you can't get them from Sony (although I don't know why they wouldn't be able or willing to sell them to you). PM me if you need the details. That's how I got the price of $1.33 each.

There are also probably other non-Sony places around the country that sell Sony parts at good prices, where these magnets can also be obtained.
post #1379 of 2973 Old 04-06-2006, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irhxcbcziuzxs View Post

i switched the componant cables to a different video, and it didnt help... because of the lack of adjustments on that video, the colors were awesome, but the black problem persisted... I decided to walk into EB today, and get them to put a copy of burn out in, and HEY, i could see, i dont know if i should sell the TV or not. I dont know what to do anymore.. the game was playing in 1080i

This set where you could see, it was different than your current set?

I've been watching your posts since January, and if memory serves, I don't think you've ever been real happy with this tv, correct? Hasn't the problem been that the display is just too dark for your gaming?

Maybe you should consider another tv. Get something that'll make you happy and will make your gameplaying enjoyable.
post #1380 of 2973 Old 04-06-2006, 05:34 PM

im new to this and this has been a very helpful site, i just got a dve and ive been trying to calibrate my tv, i have a sony kv32hs510 i have been looking for guides but havent gotten far, some of the info seems to help but the tvs are different. i also dont have any external devices to see if im in db6550 so for right now im in neutral. i need help can someone help me or point me into a direction on a link that has my service manual info?
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays