THE SONY SERVICE CODES - Articles, Comments, Discoveries - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1531 of 2962 Old 05-15-2006, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read through this thread and it's been very helpful for me in my own calibration, but I can't help but think that a general walkthrough post would be a godsend for a lot of people. I would imagine that this is fairly intimidating if you're not a very technical sort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2962 Old 05-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Hi, I've done some things with the Sony SM for my XBR960, but I can find the info in the SM to straighten the black bars the way they need to be. On both side when a 4:3 picture comes up the bars are wavy and then when 16:9 stuff comes up with a bar across top or bottom of the picture the bar is not straight at the ends either. Can anybody help me with this situation?
post #1533 of 2962 Old 05-15-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irhxcbcziuzxs View Post

Back to the talking of my TV
Ive messed with SBRT so much and its still at 31
and im still having the problem
thing is, i was having the same problem on my pc recently and instead of turning up the brightness i turned up the gamma and it fixed it completley, maybe ive just been messing with the wrong setting

so im going to put sbrt at 29 and figure out which one is the gamma one, if anyone knows.. let me know cause i dont have time to go back reading right now..

ALSO, something exploded inside my TV, everything still works fine... dont know what the heck it was..
post #1534 of 2962 Old 05-16-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinfargo View Post

Hi guys,

I purchased a KD-34XBR970 a week ago and I think I've become obsessed with correcting the picture geometry. I'm about ready to shell out the $350 to have it ISF calibrated just so I can go back to watching movies and playing Xbox 360 games instead of going into service mode for hours every night.

My question is, what setting would be causing these lines to bend at 45 degrees past the 5% overscan line on the bottom of the screen? I've fooled around with most of the geometry settings in 2701D and 2702D. I suppose I can use VPOS or VSIZE to move the bend lines off the screen so they are not visible. I hope this isn't a symptom of a problem?

Thanks,

I just wanted to provide some feedback for this issue. My 30XS955 has the exact same problem, but it only shows up in 480p.
I don't know if its fixable or not...it might just have to be like that. (which sucks, I know)
post #1535 of 2962 Old 05-17-2006, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcon_adonis View Post

I just wanted to provide some feedback for this issue. My 30XS955 has the exact same problem, but it only shows up in 480p.
I don't know if its fixable or not...it might just have to be like that. (which sucks, I know)

I might have missed a post, but it looks like 4 people with 3 different Sony TV models have this glitch. I'm surprised all the ISF and tech guys on here haven't seen this before. It would be nice to know if it's a SM setting or a magnet/electronics issue.
post #1536 of 2962 Old 05-17-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:

I might have missed a post, but it looks like 4 people with 3 different Sony TV models have this glitch. I'm surprised all the ISF and tech guys on here haven't seen this before. It would be nice to know if it's a SM setting or a magnet/electronics issue.

You have really got a bad attitude...!

Why don't you just read the post - search if you like - get smart. Then it will be OK to ask stupid questions - I don't think you will, unless you really are stupid.
post #1537 of 2962 Old 05-18-2006, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptchristensen View Post

Why don't you just read the post - search if you like - get smart. Then it will be OK to ask stupid questions - I don't think you will, unless you really are stupid.

Do you get irritated easily? They have meds for that you know. If my initial question was so stupid and easy to answer, how about enlightening all of us that have this glitch.

Let me rephrase my last post so I don't offend the easily irritated. Since a few people have this problem on multiple Sony TV models, I concluded with my "stupidity" that this wasn't isolated to my TV, or the KD-34XBR970 in general. Since a few members with tech backgrounds responded to my initial post and didn't know what could cause this glitch, then it's surprising to me that this would be a new Sony glitch. I already did what I needed to do to fix this, I moved the bad geometry off the screen so it's not visible. Problem solved for me. I was responding to the post below. Wasn't meant to freak anyone out

"I just wanted to provide some feedback for this issue. My 30XS955 has the exact same problem, but it only shows up in 480p.
I don't know if its fixable or not...it might just have to be like that. (which sucks, I know)"
post #1538 of 2962 Old 05-18-2006, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WOW!

I surely didn't see any attitude in this. I must have really missed something.
post #1539 of 2962 Old 05-18-2006, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'd bet ptchristensen mistakenly quoted the wrong post, I certianly didn't see anything wrong with mikeinfargo's post, either ...... I'd even respond to it if I thought I had anything that would be helpful or informative to add, but I do not ...

Jeff
post #1540 of 2962 Old 05-18-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Do you get irritated easily? They have meds for that you know. If my initial question was so stupid and easy to answer, how about enlightening all of us that have this glitch.

Let me rephrase my last post so I don't offend the easily irritated. Since a few people have this problem on multiple Sony TV models, I concluded with my "stupidity" that this wasn't isolated to my TV, or the KD-34XBR970 in general. Since a few members with tech backgrounds responded to my initial post and didn't know what could cause this glitch, then it's surprising to me that this would be a new Sony glitch. I already did what I needed to do to fix this, I moved the bad geometry off the screen so it's not visible. Problem solved for me. I was responding to the post below. Wasn't meant to freak anyone out

"I just wanted to provide some feedback for this issue. My 30XS955 has the exact same problem, but it only shows up in 480p.
I don't know if its fixable or not...it might just have to be like that. (which sucks, I know)"

So you don't even have a problem anymore - you are just speaking on behalf of the others with the same problem, without sharing with them how you solved it.

How noble of you...!
post #1541 of 2962 Old 05-19-2006, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

So you don't even have a problem anymore - you are just speaking on behalf of the others with the same problem, without sharing with them how you solved it.

How noble of you...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinfargo View Post

I already did what I needed to do to fix this, I moved the bad geometry off the screen so it's not visible. Problem solved for me.

Sounds like Mike shared with us how he "solved" his problem, if ptchristensen would like more details concerning mike's above info, he should read the exchange between Mikeinfargo and GlenC on the last page ....

Jeff
post #1542 of 2962 Old 05-19-2006, 05:07 AM

Quote:

How noble of you...!

Look PTCHRISTENSEN! I've been on this board for like a week, asked a question about one freakin issue with my new TV. I had three choices, exchange it, have Sony service it, or live with it. I followed the advice from another member that gave me a simple answer and didn't come off like a jack-arse like you. I still have the problem, I just don't' see it. If I violated the forum rules, I would hope a moderator would have said something or moved my post. The way I see it, you don't make the rules around here or have a say in what is an acceptable question or not. The funny thing is, you seem to be the one with the attitude, you obviously haven't read the last dozen posts, and you come off like you know everything but you haven't given any help on the subject. So I'm officially nominating you for the Biggest Douche in the Universe!

Sorry for wasting forum space with this. I'll bow out now. Thanks to the other members for backing me
post #1543 of 2962 Old 05-19-2006, 06:28 AM

Quote:

Look PTCHRISTENSEN! I've been on this board for like a week, asked a question about one freakin issue with my new TV. I had three choices, exchange it, have Sony service it, or live with it. I followed the advice from another member that gave me a simple answer and didn't come off like a jack-arse like you. I still have the problem, I just don't' see it. If I violated the forum rules, I would hope a moderator would have said something or moved my post. The way I see it, you don't make the rules around here or have a say in what is an acceptable question or not. The funny thing is, you seem to be the one with the attitude, you obviously haven't read the last dozen posts, and you come off like you know everything but you haven't given any help on the subject. So I'm officially nominating you for the Biggest Douche in the Universe!

Sorry for wasting forum space with this. I'll bow out now. Thanks to the other members for backing me

There is nothing wrong with your question - it's your attitude. And your last mails clearly shows that I was right in my assumption.

Your original mail start with the usual "I might have missed a post...", which clearly means that you have made no efford to either read-through or search the thread on your issue. If you had you would have found dozens of answers.

Instead you proceed to taunt "all the IFS and tech guys", and express your surprise that no one has the answer. Ignoring that we have put the answer out there several times.

I will gladly repeat answers I have given, if I feel that the user has put some work into understanding his issue. Or if he comes right out and says that he doesn't understand the thread, or doesn't have the time to read-through the posts.

But you sir, have a bad attitude...!
post #1544 of 2962 Old 05-19-2006, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 View Post

Trust me, i've heard some pretty horrible horror stories of people getting killed working with high voltage parts in a CRT.

If ya gotta go, go with a smile
post #1545 of 2962 Old 05-19-2006, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with your question - it's your attitude. And your last mails clearly shows that I was right in my assumption.

Your original mail start with the usual "I might have missed a post...", which clearly means that you have made no efford to either read-through or search the thread on your issue. If you had you would have found dozens of answers.

Instead you proceed to taunt "all the IFS and tech guys", and express your surprise that no one has the answer. Ignoring that we have put the answer out there several times.

I will gladly repeat answers I have given, if I feel that the user has put some work into understanding his issue. Or if he comes right out and says that he doesn't understand the thread, or doesn't have the time to read-through the posts.

But you sir, have a bad attitude...!

I really don't think it's fair to assume that the text "I might have missed a post..." automatically means a poster has committed the sin of blowing off the thread lazily. I agree that most who post like this have indeed spent no time researching their problem properly. I happen to have seen other posts by this poster and I believe the assertion of a "bad attitude" is just off the mark. It's easy to see how the subsequent posts, by all involved, went over the top.

This whole thing comes as a shock to me as I have respect for both players in this unfortunate correspondence. Maybe we can all move on and put this behind us?

Cheers!
post #1546 of 2962 Old 05-19-2006, 07:47 PM

Hello,
I reset my TV like Bwill did in 1080i mode ie video 7, and just like him everything went nuts. I did the reset to user defaults. Ive been lurking in this thread for the last year and I was posting to Ken before this thread started on Agoraquest, and I'd appreciate some help. The TV makes a horrible popping noise on video 7 and scares the hell out of me. It's accompanied by flash spots on the sceen along with the last partial screen that has become distorted over the power on and offs and a strange offest red field. The frames also seem to be very slow and some kind of rough static is displayed in the background at about a frame a second.

I remember Ken had a problem like this he didnt post about till long after it happened and I havent been able to find it. I think it involved leaving the TV off for over a week but I could be wrong my middle term memory isnt what it used to be.

Maybe there should be a disclaimer at the beginning of this thread not to do this since really I don't believe we did anything wrong, and these posts are so far along in the thread that others will not see them(just trying to help others). I mean its only logical that it should work, but now I see that they use these guns on multiple screens or at least the firmware. The factory defaults are not the defaults stored in the rom. Thing about my situation is is I think the flashing and popping is damaging my screen. I mean it has to be those kinds of noises only come from large voltage jumps....... It's Loud.
post #1547 of 2962 Old 05-20-2006, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

call a sony tech or tv tech, it's for your own safety, don't take chances..life is too short.
post #1548 of 2962 Old 05-20-2006, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFlo View Post

Hello,
I reset my TV like Bwill did in 1080i mode ie video 7, and just like him everything went nuts. I did the reset to user defaults. Ive been lurking in this thread for the last year and I was posting to Ken before this thread started on Agoraquest, and I'd appreciate some help.

Okay, but you make it tough! There are lots of folks who are eager to help, but NONE of us can read minds! So when you or anyone else asks a question, give required specifics and use *enough* words to describe the problem so we don't have to ask questions or research previous posts just to figiure out what you're talking about.

"I reset my TV ..." What TV? What model? How did you reset it? Are you talking about service mode or not?
Quote:
Maybe there should be a disclaimer at the beginning of this thread not to do this

Look at my article #02, post #3, for that exact caution, and it has been repeated over and over again. This is, of course, about the *service-mode* reset.
Quote:
I mean its only logical that it should work, but now I see that they use these guns on multiple screens or at least the firmware.

What are you talking about?

KenTech
"We all get smart slowly."
post #1549 of 2962 Old 05-20-2006, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

call a sony tech or tv tech, it's for your own safety, don't take chances..life is too short.

Dude, just because you are frightened of electricity doesn't mean every one alse should be! The 34kV wiring is very well protected, and you can even touch the wires without consequence -- but I still wouldn't! The red wire that goes from the high-voltage transformer at the right-rear of the chassis up to a rubber-covered "button" on the side of the CRT is the only thing you really should stay away from: Try not to bump the wire with your hands or a tool, and don't touch the CRT within 3" of the rubber-covered "button" -- unless the set has been off for a half-hour or so.

The electricity is not going to leap out at you and spark you to death! Obviously I'm promoting wisdom and understanding, here, over paranoia. (The greater danger is that, if you do get shocked, your arm or hand + tool is liable to twitch uncontrollably, and you will break something -- like the neck of the CRT!)

If you pull the back off the set to fool with the magnets, just stay away from the red HV wire and don't drop any metal tools onto any circuit boards. Pull the plastic rear cover *straight* off without banging it against anything inside.

KenTech
post #1550 of 2962 Old 05-20-2006, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The point is leave that stuff to the professionals, why you encourage people to open their sets and work on their tv is beyond me not only is it extremely dangerous but you could also wreck the tv if you don't know what your doing.

So NO, i'm against your encouragement of opening tv's for the safety of others.

I've heard some very atrocious horror stories of people getting killed doing such a thing.

I've been electricuted a few times, and it does'nt feel good beleive me!
post #1551 of 2962 Old 05-20-2006, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

To mikeinfargo and others with the "45º bend-at-the-bottom" problem: The primary reason for overscan is to hide defects at the outer limits of the raster, unlike with computer monitors, which display everything you send to them. My 36XS955 doesn't have your problem, but other garbage and nonlinearities are present in that area, and at the left and right, too. So the overscan hides it, no problem. If you are pushing for distortion-free zero-percent overscan, IMHO you are asking for aomething the set was not designed to deliver.

That said, I wonder what causes that particular distortion. It is as if the timing of some internal sync pulse is a bit off. If it were my set, I can think of a few parameters I might tweak a bit to see what happens, being careful to backtrack if matters get worse or the picture disappears or goes bonkers.

You might possible experiment with 2170P-2: CLPP~SNYP (#7-11).

Also in MID1: #1-DVPH, #9-MDVP.
In MID2: #2-DRVP.
In MID3: #2-VDVE, and any of #4-11: VDVO~VFRV.

A quick look at the deflection parameters in 2170D doesn't give me any clues.

Keep your eye on that "bending" region on-screen, and click a parameter's value up or down just one notch to see if anything improves. If nothing changes, click back immediately to the old settings. Same if the picture screws up terribly. If you want to revert to your last-saved settings, press 8 (screen > "READ") then Enter.

The usual cautions apply. Write down a log of what you are doing, especially the old settings. Don't click any three-button combinations or you might Reset the TV accidentally, not good! Go slowly. If you have pressed a button that puts "INI" or "RESET" onto the screen, STOP and wait for it to clear. If you discover something useful, post about it here.

Don't try to access any channels with the number buttons -- they don't work that way in service mode. You have to use the two up/down channel buttons.

Read Post #3 in this thread for navigation particulars.

And, please, please, don't start or persist in any personal insult-wars here, or NO ONE will help you.

KenTech
post #1552 of 2962 Old 05-20-2006, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've heard some very atrocious horror stories of people getting killed doing such a thing.

Yes, and driving to the store, and crossing raging rivers on logs, and bicycling anywhere near cars and trucks. So? We''re adults, here. Pick your level of risk, and go with it! I am not recommending that people take the back off their sets -- just note certain cautions if you choose to do it, that's all. Knowledge and care trump fear every time! If YOU are not comfortable with the process, then by all means don't do it.

KenTech
post #1553 of 2962 Old 05-20-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

What I try to tell others is to avoid a casual approach to the inner workings of a set with the back off. If one gives the set its due respect, and follows the key safety rules then there's a good chance of a very good outcome.

I worked for a computer company for 8 years in Silicon Valley where we actually assembled our own crt monitors. It was along this (manufacturing) line that most accidents occured. People had been given more than adequate safety training but the day-in, day-out montony of doing the same thing every day tended to cause folks to be way too casual around these tubes. The injuries ranged from small shocks to emergencies involving an ambulance trip to the hospital. It always boiled down to stupid mistakes. People trying to work too fast and not paying sufficient attention to what they were doing.

I would not advise anyone to work around the tube unless they had an electronics background, or relatively similar experience, and took the proper precautions. Electricity is not something to be afraid of, but it demands the utmost respect.
post #1554 of 2962 Old 05-20-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am not recommending that people take the back off their sets -- just note certain cautions if you choose to do it, that's all.

Good i'm glad we can agree on something! and leave it to the professionals which none of us are.
post #1555 of 2962 Old 05-20-2006, 06:32 PM

Actually Ken doesnt an increased vertical front porch fix his problem? With a corresponding decrease in the back porch maintaining frequencies?(also christensen you were right that mikeinfargo is a lazy kid but at the same time that isssue was never addressed in the thread so for others why not just help him) Ken I would assume that we are talking about reseting the service mode and you guys are big on others searching old posts why not you? You guys completely ignored Bwill when this happened to him. Also I been lurking in here for a year let's assume I'm on the level and not have contempt for everyone, ok.

CAUTION: AVOID keys 7 and 9, as they are part of a key-sequence that can reset all of the deflection or image-decoding settings back to a "factory-newborn" state. If you think you've hit any key by accident, STOP. In a few seconds it will revert back to SERVICE mode, as you'll see at the right side of the screen. All dangerous key-sequences are combinations of *three* keys, by the way.

That is not enough in my opinion it does not accurately describe the pitfall it more indicates to me on a fresh reading that you will lose your work. Its also probably not a factory newborn state its probably a factory newborn state for the boards(circuit boards whatever you wanna call them Im more familiar with PC boards) not for the TV. Which leads to your other question.

Quote:
I mean its only logical that it should work, but now I see that they use these guns on multiple screens or at least the firmware.
What are you talking about?

What I'm talking about is I think they use these guns and or boards and or firmwares in multiple screens and the firmware must be set to recognize your screen therefore when you reset it you cant just go in and tweak mid values until you have some other values and its not version values and id values theres something more to it because I entered them and I still have the same problem(yes I wrote them all down along the excel spreadsheet with the service code definitions on them) the 480I is fine as it probably displays fine on all sets(even after a reset) but anytime I switch to an HD input I get problems just like so many on agoraquest have described.(run-on sorry reads how you can imagine me saying it)

I have an old KV32HS500 not like that information is going to help anything

Mat who said anything about the back of the TV being off.
post #1556 of 2962 Old 05-21-2006, 02:08 PM

I had my set at a SONY authorized service center for geometry problems. They replaced an entire board. I got my TV back yesterday and things are worse. I guess the dealer did not do any geometry adjustments.
My question is when SONY authorized dealers do geometry adjustments, do they have specs and instructions from SONY as to how to procede, step by step
??

Las Vegas
post #1557 of 2962 Old 05-21-2006, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mat who said anything about the back of the TV being off.

You spelt my name wrong

You have to read way in the beginning of the thread, to adjust some of the focus, and convergance adjustments with the permaloy magnets you need to take the cover off.
post #1558 of 2962 Old 05-21-2006, 05:36 PM

Fred all they have is the service guide and some expensive tools(or they are supposed to), Honestly, I trust my own eye and time and the fact i have drive cause its my screen to do it myself. Aside from my most recent problem I can do the rest. My screen was in good condition with Ken's help of course along with others. Just get the service manual read the thread and its not so bad its just getting in the head of the guys that wrote this manual. I think Ken said on another thread it runs linux and some of the combinations are complex but the rest are very beneficial and easy to do.

Matt, I read that the day that happened. Remember the guy with the japanese tv tech? I pmed him and got that techs number. I know what the best magnets are. You just dont know who your messing with do you.
post #1559 of 2962 Old 05-21-2006, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFlo View Post

From Post #3: "CAUTION: AVOID keys 7 and 9, as they are part of a key-sequence that can reset all of the deflection or image-decoding settings back to a "factory-newborn" state. If you think you've hit any key by accident, STOP. In a few seconds it will revert back to SERVICE mode, as you'll see at the right side of the screen. All dangerous key-sequences are combinations of *three* keys, by the way."

That is not enough in my opinion it does not accurately describe the pitfall it more indicates to me on a fresh reading that you will lose your work. Its also probably not a factory newborn state its probably a factory newborn state for the boards(circuit boards whatever you wanna call them Im more familiar with PC boards) not for the TV.

I stated that caution as clearly as I could without using language that talks down to anyone, and I stand by it. Further, that warning has been repeated by myself and others over and over again throughout this thread. The consequences of resetting the TV are so cataclysmic for any one set that I can't imagine the insane amount of work required to just get it back to the way it was before the "accident."

Now, along comes someone who ignores the cautions, presses buttons without thinking or whatever, and resets the TV, then comes onto this forum and says, "My Bad, please help!"

There is no way on earth I can conceive of restoring someone's set via this forum; that's why the cautions have been repeated and stated in plain language. Having done my bit, offered lots of help, and advised due caution, I personally will not get involved in coaching someone in this global restoration of their set, sorry. What form do you think this "help" would take? A couple weeks of forum-message or email back-and-forth without my ever seeing the set? Various data charts have been posted, and one can try the default settings first, then make additional changes that have been suggested in this forum. Or call a service tech and pay for them to fix it. Or not. Getting further involved post-accident is not how I want to spend my time contributing (further) to this forum. I will leave it to others.

KenTech
post #1560 of 2962 Old 05-21-2006, 06:32 PM

There you go with that contemp again we are not little kids. It didnt say anything close to cataclysmic and its not that bad you just dont know the ans. Ken you do not know everything and I'm not an idiot, ok. There are techs that arent paid that well that know all this too. This is not rocketscience or nuclear power.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page