THE SONY SERVICE CODES - Articles, Comments, Discoveries - Page 71 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2101 of 2962 Old 09-29-2006, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really need to know how to fix the overscan on a Sony Bravia 50KDFE50A12U. Any help at all, please?

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2962 Old 09-29-2006, 06:18 PM

Are there any internal test patterns for sony wega KD-27FS100 ?
Does anyone know how to adjust the maximum white level?
My tv have weak colors and pretty poor color tone .
post #2103 of 2962 Old 09-29-2006, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizJr View Post

What I mean to say is that it starts low gets higher in the middle and ends at the same low spot it started from on the other side.

Do you mean that a horizontal line going thru the center of the screen isn't straight but curved, with the left and right ends turned down a bit and the center high? Same for lines above and below center?

KenTech
"We all get smart slowly."
post #2104 of 2962 Old 09-30-2006, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTech View Post

Do you mean that a horizontal line going thru the center of the screen isn't straight but curved, with the left and right ends turned down a bit and the center high? Same for lines above and below center?

Yes! That is exactly what I mean. It seems as if the line is perfectly straight for most of the screen width but about 2-3 inches from each end it curves down just a little. After I posted this yesterday I saw something that said this was a flaw in all 34X***** model televisions and had something to do with the magnets. IS that the case and if so should I bother to call sony repair to fix it or not bother because they will just become unaligned again?

Thanks,

Elliott
post #2105 of 2962 Old 09-30-2006, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes! That is exactly what I mean. It seems as if the line is perfectly straight for most of the screen width but about 2-3 inches from each end it curves down just a little. After I posted this yesterday I saw something that said this was a flaw in all 34X***** model televisions and had something to do with the magnets. IS that the case and if so should I bother to call sony repair to fix it or not bother because they will just become unaligned again?

Thanks,

Elliott

Welcome to the world of CRT. Geometry is one of the main areas you need to compromise. If you want absolute perfect geometry, you need a digital pixel display, but there are other compromises there too. The bending lines are on all CRT displays to some degree, more noticeable on the flat widescreen models. It is just the nature of trying to bend an image from a point source with magnets and make the TV affordable by eliminating a lot of geometry circuits to correct the problem. Many $30K+ CRT projectors have this capability, but not in a consumer display.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #2106 of 2962 Old 09-30-2006, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

After I posted this yesterday I saw something that said this was a flaw in all 34X***** model televisions and had something to do with the magnets. IS that the case and if so should I bother to call sony repair to fix it or not bother because they will just become unaligned again?

No, it won't become "unaligned" again. The flaw is in the initial setup. Cure it, and it's cured forever.

Curvature of horizontal lines can be adjusted only by magnets or by deflection-yoke alignment, and we don't really know the cause in your case. I don't believe for a second that it's a flaw in all 34X*** TVs, because the cause is not something inherent in the design. Sony might have made a bad run of deflection-yoke assemblies that has appeared in a certain production run of TVs, but that would have a beginning and ending point. Same thing if a geometry-setup technician was having a bad week and did a second-rate job on 100 TVs -- who knows? My 36XS955, which has virtually the same technical deflection task as yours, is perfect, and I have seen 34XBR960s that were perfect at screen center. A little gamey in the corners, perhaps, but not in the "meat" of the picture. (The "XBR" designation would have no bearing on this.)

As Glen says, no CRT set is lkely to be perfect in geometry, but we who love them for their virtues will just have to forgive them a few quirks. Flat-panel sets have their own quirks and limitations, albeit perfect geometry. This month, this year, I would still buy another CRT-TV (if available!). Your set, it seems to me, goes a bit beyond "quirk."

If you are really not splitting hairs, and this really is annoying from your normal viewing position, I would complain under the service warranty to see if a tech can come out and improve on it. Call directly a local shop recommended by a store that sells the set; you're likely to get more cooperation than calling Sony, who may stonewall.

KenTech
post #2107 of 2962 Old 10-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't checked this thread in about a year (it's a great thread). I browsed the table of contents and the .pdf files of the service menu and can't find what I'm looking for. Hopefully, someone here knows how to do what I want and wouldn't mind sharing the solution with me.

I have a two year old 420. In short, I want to remove the internal tuner (NTSC only) from the input list. I know that I can use the channel fix to set it to Video 1, but I don't want that either. Now that I've removed my VCR from the pipeline, I only use the two component inputs and the HDMI input. Just those three. So when I hit input, I don't want to stop at the tuner or video 1. I can't figure out any combination of settings on the user menu (if I set Video 1 to skip, it goes to the tuner) or identify any part of the service menu that allows for this. Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks,
Reagan

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.
post #2108 of 2962 Old 10-09-2006, 11:23 AM

For starters, thanks! This thread helped me dial in my TV and get rid of much of my overscan. It was at almost 7% on all sides and is now down to 2% on all sides. You guys rock!

I do have a question though. The top left and right sides of my screen (in HD mode, 1080i) are a little messed up and there has been nothing I've seen that has fixed it. I'd post a picture but I don't have 5 posts yet. I could email the picture. It's pretty much the top inch of the screen. The left and right 25% of the screen is warped and is skewing in towrds the center. Normal geometry corrections have done nothing.

Do you have any suggestions for me? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for all you help, keep it up!

Justin
post #2109 of 2962 Old 10-09-2006, 10:38 PM

I'm having a bit of a problem with my 30XS955, and I'm not sure if it's something that's resolvable via service codes or not, hopefully someone knows if this can be changed.

Recently (and it wasn't always this way), there's been a weird horizontal distortion on my screen. It's most noticeable on vertical lines in letters, but it affects the entire image. A line which would normally look like this:

|
|
|
|
|

...now looks like this:

\\
/
\\
/
\\

The zig-zags are probably a few millimeters tall at most, and the distortion is constantly moving, if that makes any sense. The edges of any crisp letters are constantly wavering with this distortion.

I did some minor adjustments via the service menu when I installed this set, but otherwise I haven't touched anything. AFAIK, service codes are on a per-input basis, and this problem occurs anytime there's an image on the screen, on any input, so I'm a bit concerned it's a problem with the set, and not something I can fix via the service codes.

Any thoughts? Is there a setting to adjust anything like this? I imported my TV, so I effectively have no warranty service.
post #2110 of 2962 Old 10-10-2006, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan View Post

I have a two year old 420. In short, I want to remove the internal tuner (NTSC only) from the input list. I know that I can use the channel fix to set it to Video 1, but I don't want that either.

It appears to me that the programming of the user menus does not treat the internal tuner(s) as an "input." I understand: That would be confusing to most consumers. I think of it as "V8."

Nothing I see in the service-mode codes or menu options appears to eliminate the tuner from the "input" list. Indeed, the tuner is given special status, as an up- or down-channel button press activates the tuner no matter what other input you are using, a convenience I enjoy.

I don't think you can do it.

KenTech
post #2111 of 2962 Old 10-10-2006, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidblast View Post

Do you have any suggestions for me? Any help would be much appreciated.

Dude, think! You haven't told us what model TV you are talking about! How can anyone help?

(Yes, I know this sounds like scolding. But there are so many folks here who would be willing to help -- if inquiring people would just do the obvious to make it easy, so we don't have to beg for more information. Please be specific; no one can read minds, here -- that I know of.)

KenTech
post #2112 of 2962 Old 10-10-2006, 12:06 PM

Sorry.

Sony KV-36XBR450 is the TV I have. I'm not sure that I've seen that model come up in this thread anywhere but most of the service menu adjustments have worked for me.

I kinda think the problem I'm having was never an issue before because my TV had so much overscan that the problem areas where being covered up.

Thanks.
post #2113 of 2962 Old 10-10-2006, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidblast View Post

Sony KV-36XBR450 is the TV I have. I'm not sure that I've seen that model come up in this thread anywhere but most of the service menu adjustments have worked for me.

The important thing is that you've identified a 4:3 screen, and you're concerned about the visible top and bottom edges of the HD/16:9 reduced-height scan.

I have a 36XS955, and I have the same problem. A rectangle is nearly perfect if it occupies nearly the entire screen -- say 1-2" in from the edges. (I've adjusted it this way.) So a straight line across the screen near the top is displayed quite straight. But if I were to lower this line toward the center, it would go through a "warp" area, where its left and right ends would droop downwards a bit, and then it would be straight again as it reaches the center of the screen. Same thing happens in reverse, upside-down, as I move this hypothetical line further down the screen until it's near the bottom. You can plainly see this effect, of course, with any of the common crosshatch patterns.

I believe it's intractable. I've seen it on every 4:3 big-screen Sony I've ever watched in stores, and on one like mine at a friend's house. The geometry corrections to get a rectangular display on a flat tube are really heroic, but not perfect. I think it would require increased complexity in the deflection system to correct this "defect," and Sony have simply decided not to bother, even though it's obvious whenever viewing 16:9 anamorphic DVDs or HD programming. I find now that I hardly see it unless I look for it -- a good attitude if one can't do anything about it!

Now -- do I have this all wrong, and the above-described "droop" isn't the distortion you're duscussing? (Yes, a picture is always helpful.)

KenTech
post #2114 of 2962 Old 10-11-2006, 05:50 AM

I tried to PM you a screen mock-up but your message box was fool. No problem though...I just can't post any links here till I have 5 posts. I didn't want to make a few garbage posts just so I have 5 though.

The problem I have can't even be seen when I'm watching HD programing but when I'm playing my Xbox360, it sometimes really stands out just because of the nature of the menus, etc. that are being displayed.

I think what you described is pretty close to what's happening. Once I get to 5 posts I'll post a screen mock-up though that shows the problem.

Thanks!
post #2115 of 2962 Old 10-16-2006, 06:29 AM

Does anybody know what to do? I have a KD-34XBR970 an I am trying to fix the Geometry and Overscan problem of this TV.

When I fix the Geometry and Overscan via the Service menu for 1080i using DVE, it seems the data correlates back to 480p and the 720p Geometry and overscan.

What i mean is when i change the data of VPOS,VSIZ,HCNT,HPOS,HSIZ, etc. On the 1080i I get a great picture. But once i change the data on this 1080i, the data for the 720p would also be changed without my doing. Same goes for the 480p.

Is there a way to save seperate data for 480p, 720p, and 1080i? Without having one be changed by the other.
post #2116 of 2962 Old 10-16-2006, 06:52 PM

Hi All,

Could someone please help me out with the service-menu code for a KV-32LS65AUS ? - I have tried a myriad of codes that ive found thus far on the net, but cannot find the one for this TV

EDIT: I'm wanting to make some overscan adjustments and to see if I can disable some 'repeating' AV inputs (e.g. I have to scroll through one AV1 to get to the 'other' AV1 thats connected to my digital tv box)..

Regards,
Bitey
post #2117 of 2962 Old 10-17-2006, 08:17 AM

Hi,

Can someone please help with instructions on getting into the service menu for the KV-27HFR. I have tried pressing DISPLAY --> Channel 5 --> Volume + --> POWER with the power off, but all that keeps happening is the TV turns on. I have also tried pressing DISPLAY --> Channel 5 --> POWER...nothing.

Thanks,
Nicholas
post #2118 of 2962 Old 10-25-2006, 12:41 PM

I'm having a lot of trouble getting FULL mode and NORMAL mode to work correctly. I have my raster centered and the geometry looking good for my 34xs955-N in 16x9. However, I can't see any difference horizontaly when I switch to NORMAL mode. In other words the 4:3 stretches the full screen instead of giving me a 4:3 image with black bars.

2170D-5 2-1 EWDC set to 1 is perfect for 4:3 and when set to 0 is perfect for 16:9 but EWDC doesn't seem to be independent of FULL and NORMAL. So I have to go into the service mode anytime I watch 4:3 material.

Any help?
post #2119 of 2962 Old 10-25-2006, 01:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextGen View Post

I'm having a lot of trouble getting FULL mode and NORMAL mode to work correctly. I have my raster centered and the geometry looking good for my 34xs955-N in 16x9. However, I can't see any difference horizontaly when I switch to NORMAL mode. In other words the 4:3 stretches the full screen instead of giving me a 4:3 image with black bars.

2170D-5 2-1 EWDC set to 1 is perfect for 4:3 and when set to 0 is perfect for 16:9 but EWDC doesn't seem to be independent of FULL and NORMAL. So I have to go into the service mode anytime I watch 4:3 material.

Any help?

What INPUT are you doing this with... S-video (INPUT1/3), component (INPUT5/6), HDMI (INPUT7), 1394?

What channel are you trying to watch in 4:3... analog or digital? What is your source... OTA, cable, SAT? What is your STB/DVR? If you're watching from a STB/DVR, is it set to deliver 4:3 (with side bars) or to stretch to 16:9 when it delivers SD to the HDTV? Your problem may be the STB/DVR setting, not the Sony.
post #2120 of 2962 Old 10-26-2006, 09:53 AM

I have a Sony KD-34XBR970. I've figured out how to get into service mode, and fixed a couple geometry issues, but I have one problem that I'm not sure how to fix, or if I can. The problem affects the left side of the display. For example, when I hit the display button on the remote, the info boxes are displayed in a transparent mode, with gray lines making up the boxes. The box in the top lefthand side of the screen which shows the imput source (Video 1 - 6) and the label associated with it shows distortion. The gray horizontal line that makes up the bottom of the box starts out fine from the right side, but as you go to the left it becomes increasingly distored. By distortion, I mean the colors separate, and it becomes three distince lines bowing downward. One blue line, the a green line bowing lightly more, and finally are red line below that bowing even more than the other two. Is this a major problem, or can it be adjusted from the service mode. I will have a tech. come and work on it if need be, but I would much prefer to figure out with some help how to fix it myself if possible. Any help will be greatlly appreciated. I would also like to say thanks to all who post here, because I have learned alot. This is a great forum!

Thanks

Chris Mason
post #2121 of 2962 Old 10-27-2006, 05:29 PM

Hi guys I just bought a new 30HS420 and I wanted to know if someone have some good settings for the service menu cause I dont want to scroll all these 70 pages... I just read the post from KenTech about the color setting and he was talking about clouds and all these things and I was like this is gonna take me 1 month to calibrate lolll. These forums have been a great source of information since when I registered 3 years ago and I hope someone will help me with this thing.

Tv is set to Pro mode, color temp natural, clear edge off.

I think my convergence is fairly good and the thing that i want to achieve with this tv is to get the very best shadow details without sacrificing my black level. Its very important for me as a gamer with the 2 consoles i want to buy: X360 and ps3.

Thanks!
post #2122 of 2962 Old 10-29-2006, 01:40 PM

Hello and thank you all for this wonderful thread,

I have started tweaking my KV-34HS510, and have a few geometry questions. I used the table of contents and have tried to read all of the info concerning geometry and under/overscan issues. Please forgive me if I missed something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTech View Post

In the MID1-3 groups, be sure to get the values for width and especially height exactly right, as these values control (as I have discovered) the precise sampling of the video for display. Get the vertical ones wrong, and the image quality will be compromised! There are exact ratios between the particular video-line count and the internal digital representation of that video that have to be maintained.

The critical values are DHAR, DVAR, MDHS, and MDVS in MID1; in MID2, DRHS and DRVS (if relevant); and in MID3, VDHS and VDVS. The correct numbers are the ones in the data tables.

I would copy all other numbers exactly as listed in the MID1-3 tables, especially MID3 #4-11. The ones associated with "phase" or "pos" (position) can be tweaked a little to balance the centering of a video frame between inputs; but don't mess with these without first getting the positioning right in the 2170D groups.

1. After adjusting the raster, I am still unable to eliminate overscan since the "picture" (MID1-3 settings) seems to be bigger than the raster. Does the above quoted advice mean that I should not resize the "picture", and only use the MID1-3 settings to center "picture" on the raster?

2. I'm having trouble eliminating some severe Horiz bowing at the bottom of the screen. I have eliminated the hump that was in the middle of the bottom lines using VCEN and VPIN. But I cannot seem to get rid of some inward horizontal pinching in the corners. The lower left corner seems to be the worst and is very noticeable in sports/news tickers, or the MCE info box.

Here is what I mean by horizontal pinching. Of course the problem is not nearly this bad:

///-----------------\\\\\\
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
\\\\\\-----------------///

Thanks for any help.
post #2123 of 2962 Old 10-29-2006, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwp13 View Post

Hello and thank you all for this wonderful thread,

I have started tweaking my KV-34HS510, and have a few geometry questions. ...............
2. I'm having trouble eliminating some severe Horiz bowing at the bottom of the screen. I have eliminated the hump that was in the middle of the bottom lines using VCEN and VPIN. But I cannot seem to get rid of some inward horizontal pinching in the corners. The lower left corner seems to be the worst and is very noticeable in sports/news tickers, or the MCE info box.

Here is what I mean by horizontal pinching. Of course the problem is not nearly this bad:

///-----------------\\\\\\
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
\\\\\\-----------------///

Thanks for any help.

You might try these service menu items in the 2170D_2 group. A crosshatch pattern is VERY useful for making geometry adjustments. Record your current settings. The items have entries for WideZoom mode and Others.
MPIN, horizontal outer and inner pincushion, is effective on inner and outer areas of the screen.
PIN, horizontal outer pincushion, is more effective in the outer areas of the screen.
UCP, upper corner pincushion, straightens the vertical lines in the upper corners.
LCP, lower corner pincushion, straightens the vertical lines in the lower corners.
Good Luck

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #2124 of 2962 Old 10-29-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

You might try these service menu items in the 2170D_2 group. A crosshatch pattern is VERY useful for making geometry adjustments. Record your current settings. The items have entries for WideZoom mode and Others.
MPIN, horizontal outer and inner pincushion, is effective on inner and outer areas of the screen.
PIN, horizontal outer pincushion, is more effective in the outer areas of the screen.
UCP, upper corner pincushion, straightens the vertical lines in the upper corners.
LCP, lower corner pincushion, straightens the vertical lines in the lower corners.
Good Luck

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've been using the various test patters posted here including the overscan.bmp and a basic crosshatch.

I thought the MPIN, PIN, UCP, and LCP work on the vertical lines like this:

\\\\||||||||//
||||||||||||
//||||||||\\\\

I suppose that all these settings effect everything else though. I'll give these settings a few tweaks when I get a chance. Thanks.
post #2125 of 2962 Old 10-29-2006, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironkaw View Post

I have a Sony KD-34XBR970. I've figured out how to get into service mode, and fixed a couple geometry issues, but I have one problem that I'm not sure how to fix, or if I can. The problem affects the left side of the display. For example, when I hit the display button on the remote, the info boxes are displayed in a transparent mode, with gray lines making up the boxes. The box in the top lefthand side of the screen which shows the imput source (Video 1 - 6) and the label associated with it shows distortion. The gray horizontal line that makes up the bottom of the box starts out fine from the right side, but as you go to the left it becomes increasingly distored. By distortion, I mean the colors separate, and it becomes three distince lines bowing downward. One blue line, the a green line bowing lightly more, and finally are red line below that bowing even more than the other two. Is this a major problem, or can it be adjusted from the service mode. I will have a tech. come and work on it if need be, but I would much prefer to figure out with some help how to fix it myself if possible. Any help will be greatlly appreciated. I would also like to say thanks to all who post here, because I have learned alot. This is a great forum!

Thanks

Chris Mason

Sounds like you have a vertical covergence issue. Unfortunately, there are no service menu adjustments for this. The only solution is to get a tech out and see if he can correct it with magnets. If he knows what he is doing, it should not be a difficult fix.

It is not uncommon at all for vertical convergence in these sets to be off in one corner or another. If it is not off too badly, a lazy tech may tell you that it is within spec.
post #2126 of 2962 Old 10-31-2006, 07:13 PM

I purchased an XBR970 a few months ago, and I've been happy with its peformance, but I decided I wanted to tweak on the overscan a bit since I've recently hooked my PC up to it. While browsing through the service menu, and playing around with the various settings, I tripped across "APSW" in 2170D-1. To my surprise, it managed to open up some zones I was previously unable to open even while playing with the shutters. Unfortunately though, there is a problem when using this change. The bottom of the screen is severely distorted, and I've no clue of a way to mitigate it's severity.

I would appreciate any insight to this problem, whether directly related to the distortion, or else. Thank you.
post #2127 of 2962 Old 11-01-2006, 04:09 PM

Update: I've managed to find a solution to my own problem above. Most of it stemmed from my using of the 960's service chart. Basically the 970's service menu is different when it comes to MID3, and took some exploring to make appropriate changes to my canvas.

The distortion on the bottom of the screen was fixed by "PSPT" in Mid3, and my overscan was fixed by using various settings throughout mid1-3, most of which were not on the 960 chart. This may be helpful to some as it was an odd problem to me.
post #2128 of 2962 Old 11-02-2006, 05:04 AM

Oh great.

I'm going to suggest to the tech reps at all the service meetings I attend that they eliminate the ability for anyone to access service menus.
post #2129 of 2962 Old 11-02-2006, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOtvGuy View Post

Oh great.

I'm going to suggest to the tech reps at all the service meetings I attend that they eliminate the ability for anyone to access service menus.

I take it that's a response to my posts. Why?
post #2130 of 2962 Old 11-02-2006, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOtvGuy View Post

Oh great.

How do you propose to do that and why?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page