post #2611 of 2962 Old 01-07-2008, 10:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayPigeon View Post

I noticed that depending how large you have the raster ( or the mid settings DHHP etc..)...

I don't know what is on the XBR970, but in the XBR960 there is no such DHHP item in the MID1 group. It's DHPH. Is that what you're referring to?

Also, as I understand things it is the MID2 items DRHP, DRHS, DRVP and DRVS which are used for 480i. And it is the MID3 items VDHP, VDHS, VDVE and VDVS which are used for 480p, 720p and 1080i. These adjust image horizontal/vertical position/size within the background raster.

The background raster position/size is adjusted with the 2170D-1 items VPOS and VSIZ (for vertical position/size) and 2170D-2 items HPOS and HSIZ (for horizontal position/size).

I've not touched the MID1 settings when tuning my XBR960. Only MID2 and MID3 (depending on input and source being adjusted), working with 2170D-1 and 2170D-2.

As far as I can tell, I've done no harm by tweaking the MID2 and MID3 values as needed (with 16x9 test patterns). I've simply accomplished what my eyes see as "near perfection" geometry based on various test patterns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2962 Old 01-12-2008, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't get my service menu changes to save.

I press MUTING, ENTER. "Write" turns red but the change doesn't stick around the next time I turn the tv on.

Or if I press MUTING, ENTER (write turns red) and the press ZERO, ENTER (to read) the value reverts to the pre-changed value.
post #2613 of 2962 Old 01-12-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkone View Post

I press MUTING, ENTER. "Write" turns red but the change doesn't stick around the next time I turn the tv on.

Or if I press MUTING, ENTER (write turns red) and the press ZERO, ENTER (to read) the value reverts to the pre-changed value.

I seem to recall that a Write takes a few seconds to occur. The label turns red then back to green after a successful write cycle. Is this happening for you?

Also, I believe there may be a few items that cannot be permanently saved. What are you attempting to change?

You should also consider that if you Write a new value into the service menu and then check that value in a different mode (input resolution, screen mode, zoom mode, DRC, etc.) of operation, you may not actually be seeing the value that you previously modified. Its very important to have a copy of the actual service manual listing of the service menu items, instead of the spreadsheets that are floating around. Most of the spreadsheets don't give a clear understanding of the service menu listing. The user must have a firm understanding of what is being modified.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #2614 of 2962 Old 01-12-2008, 09:13 AM

Yes, the word "WRITE" changes from green to red and then back to "SERVICE."
I'm trying to change SBRT. I've tried with HSIZ, HPOS, HCEN, too and the same thing happens..

puzzling
post #2615 of 2962 Old 01-12-2008, 03:16 PM

Sorry I haven't been able to read the whole thread yet, but I'm hoping someone can answer a quick question.

I get a ~3-4 unit jump in VPOS for the same HDMI source in the same mode/resolution based on whether I start up in service mode or normal. Is there anything I can do about that? It worries me bit, as I wonder what else is moving around?

TV is 34xbr970, source is either sony upscaling DVD or computer at 1080i over HDMI on video6.

Thanks!
Rob
post #2616 of 2962 Old 01-14-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkone View Post

Solved.

Turns out that you need to unplug the set after saving changes. I remembered reading in one of the service manuals something about unplugging to ensure that your values were saved, so I did it after saving and the values were retained.

Powering off alone doesn't (at least in this case) cause the new values to be read into whatever working memory the set uses to obtain its values. Unplugging and powering up must force a read from non-volatile memory while simply powering down must somehow cause intermediate values to be retained. Seems wrong. I'd expect writing to mean "use these values" not "these are the values to use after unplugging the set."

Or something.
post #2617 of 2962 Old 01-15-2008, 02:36 PM

I have been watching videos from my PC on my Sony 34HS420 via s-video for about a year now. I really like how the Wide-Zoom feature can distribute a 4:3 picture across the whole screen without distorting it, unlike Full mode.

However, I recently upgraded my cables to DVI-HDMI and although the picture clarity has vastly improved, the TV locks on Full mode.

Is there a setting in the service menu I can manipulate to prevent this from happening? I have tried outputing different resolutions from my PC but the TV keeps enforcing Full mode just because it's connected by HDMI.

In other words, I would like to have a clean 4:3 picture on the TV over HDMI that I can stretch to my liking with the Zoom and Wide-Zoom modes.

Thanks for the help.
post #2618 of 2962 Old 01-15-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_Zagato View Post

I have been watching videos from my PC on my Sony 34HS420 via s-video for about a year now. I really like how the Wide-Zoom feature can distribute a 4:3 picture across the whole screen without distorting it, unlike Full mode.

However, I recently upgraded my cables to DVI-HDMI and although the picture clarity has vastly improved, the TV locks on Full mode.

Is there a setting in the service menu I can manipulate to prevent this from happening? I have tried outputing different resolutions from my PC but the TV keeps enforcing Full mode just because it's connected by HDMI.

In other words, I would like to have a clean 4:3 picture on the TV over HDMI that I can stretch to my liking with the Zoom and Wide-Zoom modes.

Thanks for the help.

A lot of TVs lock into Full Mode and do not allow you to change aspect ratios when it sees as HD resolution (720p and above). Is the signal going out the HDMI being upconverted?

FYI, Wide Mode does distort the picture, just more so on the edges than the middle.
post #2619 of 2962 Old 01-15-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the immediate predecessor of the HS420, the HS510. Via DVI or component, my set DOES lock into FULL mode for HD resolution inputs but DOES NOT for 480i inputs.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #2620 of 2962 Old 01-16-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull View Post

But, if I recall correctly (and I hope for your sake I'm wrong about this) I don't think the HS420 models have dynamic convergence adjustments. I think they have the DCONV menu, but none of the settings actually do anything at all. I think convergence can only be corrected with physical adjustments to the rings on the yoke on the back of the CRT inside the TV's case.

I think this is only true of the 30HS420 model. My D-CONV menu doesn't work on my 30HS420 and I know of another person with the same model TV that doesn't have his D-CONV menu work either.
post #2621 of 2962 Old 01-16-2008, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull View Post

.......But, if I recall correctly (and I hope for your sake I'm wrong about this) I don't think the HS420 models have dynamic convergence adjustments. I think they have the DCONV menu, but none of the settings actually do anything at all. I think convergence can only be corrected with physical adjustments to the rings on the yoke on the back of the CRT inside the TV's case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazel View Post

I think this is only true of the 30HS420 model. My D-CONV menu doesn't work on my 30HS420 and I know of another person with the same model TV that doesn't have his D-CONV menu work either.

I don't have a copy of the HS420 service manual, so I can't be sure but I would be VERY surprised if dynamic convergence did not exist for these models. As far back as the XBR2 CRT, up to the last model - XBR970, dynamic convergence was/is used for fine tuning of horizontal convergence.

The first step in standard convergence alignment procedure, in all of the Sony service manuals I have, is to disable dynamic convergence by unplugging a connector in the set. This connector is CN903 for the XBR800 A-board, XBR910/HS510 A-board, XBR960/XS955 AZ-board and XBR970 A-board. After static convergence is adjusted, the connector is reconnected and dynamic convergence (horizontal) is adjusted. Just an idea. Maybe the HS420 factory convergence tech made a habit of not plugging the connector back in?

post #2622 of 2962 Old 01-17-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

I have the immediate predecessor of the HS420, the HS510. Via DVI or component, my set DOES lock into FULL mode for HD resolution inputs but DOES NOT for 480i inputs.

Thank you for this piece of information! I set my desktop's resolution to 640 x 480 and now it is possible to select the different screen modes on the TV.

There's one thing that keeps it from being perfect. For some reason the whole picture is kinda shaded, so it doesn't look vibrant nor clear anymore. I double checked the desktop resolution being @ 32 bits and still looks like so.

What can I try next ?
post #2623 of 2962 Old 01-30-2008, 03:19 PM

Hello, all. I have an XBR970.

I've had this issue for quite a while. My problem goes away after 30 minutes when the tv warms up, but I don't think I should accept that. Long story short, when I start up a my cold tv and display an anamorphic widescreen image in "FULL" mode (480p/480i), it appears that the right side of the screen doesn't quite reach the edge of the tv, causing a green hue. Only the top right corner reaches the edge and looks okay. Oddly enough, this is only a problem in 480i/480p FULL mode, and it goes away in about 30 minutes or so. Obviously, if the top right corner reaches the edge and the rest doesn't, the clear choice would be to correct the geometry on the lower right somehow. Unfortunately, all attempts to do so has messed up the rest of my geometry settings big time, so I don't consider that an option anymore. Looking at a crosshatch pattern, I definitely see slanting on the right border. I guess my question is this: is that slant from a damaged raster edge? If the raster is just a damaged "canvas" for an image, can I scoot the raster over a notch and move the image back to where it was with the MID settings to sit on a healthier raster part, or is that a pointless venture? I really don't wanna move the image in global settings because everything is centered quite well right now. And I'd hate to have to go to all my resolutions (including NTSC, and ATSC programming) and scoot images back to center.

(By the way, stretching the image with MID settings to push the annoying green hue off the screen isn't a healthy option at this point. It bumps icons from the Wii menu off the screen, and people's heads from DVDs look fatter than usual.)

Since it's an anamorphic widescreen issue, maybe I should concentrate on adjusting the 4x3 image in NORMAL mode somehow. I'm really confused. 720p and 1080i stuff in true widescreen don't suffer from this "tv-has-to-warm-up" problem. Any ideas? (I know this has been a long post. Sorry.)

Remember, you're unique...just like everyone else.
post #2624 of 2962 Old 01-30-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivestarav View Post

.....and display an anamorphic widescreen image in "WIDE" mode (480p/480i), it appears that the right side of the screen doesn't quite reach the edge of the tv, causing a green hue. ....Since it's an anamorphic widescreen issue, maybe I should concentrate on adjusting the 4x3 image in NORMAL mode somehow. ....

I'm a little confused about your situation. Its always been my understanding that anamorphic widescreen content, (480i and 16:9), should display correctly in FULL mode.

Are you saying that it displays correctly in WIDE mode? Did you make geometry adjustments that may have created this situation? If yes, then that may be part of the problem. Your statement that 720p and 1080i displays with no problem, in FULL mode, also tends to support this.

post #2625 of 2962 Old 01-30-2008, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello, all. I have an XBR970.

I've had this issue for quite a while. My problem goes away after 30 minutes when the tv warms up, but I don't think I should accept that. Long story short, when I start up a my cold tv and display an anamorphic widescreen image in "WIDE" mode (480p/480i), it appears that the right side of the screen doesn't quite reach the edge of the tv, causing a green hue. Only the top right corner reaches the edge and looks okay. Oddly enough, this is only a problem in 480i/480p WIDE mode, and it goes away in about 30 minutes or so. Obviously, if the top right corner reaches the edge and the rest doesn't, the clear choice would be to correct the geometry on the lower right somehow. Unfortunately, all attempts to do so has messed up the rest of my geometry settings big time, so I don't consider that an option anymore. Looking at a crosshatch pattern, I definitely see slanting on the right border. I guess my question is this: is that slant from a damaged raster edge? If the raster is just a damaged "canvas" for an image, can I scoot the raster over a notch and move the image back to where it was with the MID settings to sit on a healthier raster part, or is that a pointless venture? I really don't wanna move the image in global settings because everything is centered quite well right now. And I'd hate to have to go to all my resolutions (including NTSC, and ATSC programming) and scoot images back to center.

(By the way, stretching the image with MID settings to push the annoying green hue off the screen isn't a healthy option at this point. It bumps icons from the Wii menu off the screen, and people's heads from DVDs look fatter than usual.)

Since it's an anamorphic widescreen issue, maybe I should concentrate on adjusting the 4x3 image in NORMAL mode somehow. I'm really confused. 720p and 1080i stuff in true widescreen don't suffer from this "tv-has-to-warm-up" problem. Any ideas? (I know this has been a long post. Sorry.)

I can't answer your primary question, but it concerns me that this is a hot/cold issue. I don't have warmup issues on my 970, but my experience with CRT monitors and TVs tells me that screen problems dependant upon temperature are usually signs of a pending hardware failure. Is it under warranty?
post #2626 of 2962 Old 01-30-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:

I'm a little confused about your situation. Its always been my understanding that anamorphic widescreen content, (480i and 16:9), should display correctly in FULL mode.

Are you saying that it displays correctly in WIDE mode? Did you make geometry adjustments that may have created this situation? If yes, then that may be part of the problem. Your statement that 720p and 1080i displays with no problem, in FULL mode, also tends to support this.

Sorry sorry sorry. You are correct. I meant to use the word FULL, not WIDE. I will edit my previous post if I can.

Honestly, I remember this problem starting after a tech made an adjustment several months ago. I was unfamiliar with the service menu at the time, so I didn't notice exactly what he did. Maybe I didn't catch it right away because I usually jump into 720p/1080i stuff right when I turn on the tv, not 480 stuff. However...I also have notes of me playing with the HPOS a long time ago. The notes say I moved the HPOS from 24 to 27, but then I hated the result so I put it back to 25...but not 24 as it originally was. Hmmmmm. I assume this was because 4x3 content looked more centered at 25 than 24. Wow. Perhaps I did mess up my tv. Any other way to move the 4x3 window around other than HPOS? I'm aware of settings to move the content around WITHIN the window, but the only way I know how to move the 4x3 display border around is with HPOS, which is a global setting and should be avoided. Am I wrong?

I just regret having to mess with geometry all over again. I kinda like where it is now except for this 1 issue. I was hoping for a quick fix, but if it takes time to do it right, I guess I will.

post #2627 of 2962 Old 01-30-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan View Post

I can't answer your primary question, but it concerns me that this is a hot/cold issue. I don't have warmup issues on my 970, but my experience with CRT monitors and TVs tells me that screen problems dependant upon temperature are usually signs of a pending hardware failure. Is it under warranty?

Yes. It's under warranty, thank goodness. I'm just scared of service techs. They don't seem to take the time do things right - always rushing to the next appointment and leaving you high and dry with another problem to replace the problem they just fixed. The theory was proposed, however, that the hot/cold issue is the aperture grill warming up. I thought that was normal, since it's advised to wait 30 minutes before making any service adjustments. And since my issue deals with a color field just barely touching a black field as it slowly tries to reach the tv edge (thus causing a green hue for 30 minutes), the image seems to fix itself by expanding once warmed up. I agree - no tv should have to do this. It's something that should be corrected. I'm just trying to figure out how it happened and what's the best way to correct the problem. I will take a break and give it another go next week.

post #2628 of 2962 Old 02-01-2008, 10:06 AM

Uhg. 3 posts in a row. Please don't label me a problem child. I'll try to keep the drama to myself as much as possible. I've put the aforementioned problem on the back burner and labeled my Nintendo Wii an underscaning 480p backstabbing bastard. Moving on.

I have a quick question about global settings. I've always read on this forum that global adjustments affect every resolution and input, including tv reception through rabbit ears. Yet I'm freaked out to read in the XBR970 manual under HPOS, for example, that it says for 1080 FULL the default is 15 while for OTHERS it should be 22. I thought everything under 2170D-2 was global and equal for everything. Another example is PIN. It says for 1080i PIN should be 14, while for OTHERS it should be 13, and for WIDE ZOOM it should read 22. Does this mean what I think it means? Some "global" adjustments aren't 100% global at all? And what does "Vcomp" mean when it says 1080vcomp or 480Vcomp in the manual? Thanks.

post #2629 of 2962 Old 02-01-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....I have a quick question about global settings. I've always read on this forum that global adjustments affect every resolution and input, including tv reception through rabbit ears. Yet I'm freaked out to read in the XBR970 manual under HPOS, for example, that it says for 1080 FULL the default is 15 while for OTHERS it should be 22. I thought everything under 2170D-2 was global and equal for everything. Another example is PIN. It says for 1080i PIN should be 14, while for OTHERS it should be 13, and for WIDE ZOOM it should read 22. Does this mean what I think it means? Some "global" adjustments aren't 100% global at all? And what does "Vcomp" mean when it says 1080vcomp or 480Vcomp in the manual? Thanks.

Global adjustments do effect all resolutions and inputs. However, many of the geometry parameters are not global as you have found out. This is why its critical that the service manual listing of the service menu parameters be referenced prior to making adjustments, instead of the misleading/incomplete spreadsheets that are available.

I believe Vcomp means video component, which applies to the component inputs.

post #2630 of 2962 Old 02-02-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Global adjustments do effect all resolutions and inputs. However, many of the geometry parameters are not global as you have found out. This is why its critical that the service manual listing of the service menu parameters be referenced prior to making adjustments, instead of the misleading/incomplete spreadsheets that are available.

I believe Vcomp means video component, which applies to the component inputs.

Ok. That makes sense. Thanks. How about the MID 2 section in the XBR970 manual? That gets really confusing to me. It divides adjustments into 7 groups. One of the groups is simply called "YC." (???) Another has 480i, 720p, and 1080i listed under a group called "expansion." What the heck does that mean?

Basically I'm hoping to do some 480p/480i size adjustments with MID2 for my component hook up, Input 5. If I understand the manual correctly, my 480i/480p MID 2 adjustments for input 5 won't affect my 480i/480p image in HDMI or tv reception, right? I found it really odd that HDMI and ATSC are "paired" up where adjustments are concerned. ATSC is the digital reception I get for tv through my rabbit ears, no? (I don't have cable).

post #2631 of 2962 Old 02-02-2008, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok. That makes sense. Thanks. How about the MID 2 section in the XBR970 manual? That gets really confusing to me. It divides adjustments into 7 groups. One of the groups is simply called "YC." (???) Another has 480i, 720p, and 1080i listed under a group called "expansion." What the heck does that mean?......

YC usually stands for luminance/chrominance. I believe this refers to composite and S-video inputs, V1, V2, V3 and V4.
Quote:

.....Basically I'm hoping to do some 480p/480i size adjustments with MID2 for my component hook up, Input 5. If I understand the manual correctly, my 480i/480p MID 2 adjustments for input 5 won't affect my 480i/480p image in HDMI or tv reception, right? .....

That appears to be the case. Make sure you record your initial values. You can certainly verify this afterwards by checking values in both input cases.

Quote:

..... I found it really odd that HDMI and ATSC are "paired" up where adjustments are concerned. ATSC is the digital reception I get for tv through my rabbit ears, no? (I don't have cable).

It does seem like an odd pairing. However, the signals do appear to have a common path in the set. Page 79 of my service manual has a signal flow diagram that indicates that the analog signals from the HDMI module and ATSC module are routed through a selection switch and they are handled as a single input, much like V5/V6, into the CXA2103, which is generally referred to as the Jungle IC.

post #2632 of 2962 Old 02-04-2008, 07:01 AM

Hey.

I just got an XBR960, and it's kind of blurry.
I notice if I turn down picture, that the blurriness goes away.

Is there a way to make the screen sharper, without making it darker?

I know how to go into the service menu and change things, but I don't really know what to change.
post #2633 of 2962 Old 02-07-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazog View Post

When my 34xs955 goes into 4:3 on the right hand side of the screen just beside the Black bar, I have a small narrow white line that runs down the black bar, Can I remove this in the Service Menu?

If so where so I can get rid of it.

I have this problem too.
Mine's on the left hand side though.
post #2634 of 2962 Old 03-10-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Even though many complained about the 960's geometry, I thought mine had no problems since the convergence horizontal and vertical grid lines (retained on my DVR from the INHD test patterns) were straight. However, I noticed upper left-corner bowing on graphics used by CNN (during their primary night coverage) so I decided to give a try with the service settings anyway. Natch, it was CNN and not my set but by thinking I could remember my original settings instead of jotting them down on paper I (of course) screwed everything up.

But I came across this forum and not only corrected the problem but actually improved the picture by learning how to properly adjust the overscan without messing up geometry. Before I was barely able to see the 5% safe action line and now have it down to 2 or 3 percent, making the picture much sharper than before when it was stretched.

My sincere thanks to KenTech for starting this thread, downloading the service manual and (along with others in this forum) giving us tips on making proper service adjustments.
post #2635 of 2962 Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 AM

I was trying to calibrate my 960 again the other day and for some dumb ass reason I reset the tv! I'm talking F'd up. I can no longer tune my free digital cable QAM channels and the overlay display flickers like mad.

Has anyone done this before? Could someone get me chronological procedures to fix this myself? I can't even imagine what it's gonna cost to have a tech come out to get this back to normal...

I can't believe I did this, I should have just stayed with RGB cuts, gains, and gamma.
post #2636 of 2962 Old 03-12-2008, 03:44 PM

Here are two pictures of my XBR960 screen. How do I fix this? Please note the 480I picture was taken with no cables attached to my crt, the pattern I used is in the XBR960s service menu.
[480i]
[1080i]
post #2637 of 2962 Old 03-12-2008, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3ILA View Post

Here are two pictures of my XBR960 screen. How do I fix this? Please note the 480I picture was taken with no cables attached to my crt, the pattern I used is in the XBR960s service menu.
[480i]
[1080i]

It may be edge enhancement causing it. Do you have clearedge VM turned on or off?

post #2638 of 2962 Old 03-12-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:

It may be edge enhancement causing it. Do you have clearedge VM turned on or off?

Clear Edge is off and sharpness is somewhere between 22 - 0 depending on picture mode.
post #2639 of 2962 Old 03-14-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ntense View Post

I was trying to calibrate my 960 again the other day and for some dumb ass reason I reset the tv! I'm talking F'd up. I can no longer tune my free digital cable QAM channels and the overlay display flickers like mad.

Has anyone done this before? Could someone get me chronological procedures to fix this myself? I can't even imagine what it's gonna cost to have a tech come out to get this back to normal...

I can't believe I did this, I should have just stayed with RGB cuts, gains, and gamma.

Here is a link to the video i took of my first issue if anyone is interested. Maybe see what's going on will help.

http://www.vimeo.com/786188
post #2640 of 2962 Old 03-15-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:

In the CXA2171 section #2 FIXS needs to be 2 for OTA input, 3 for input 5,6 and 7. Input 1-4 is 1.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page