THE SONY SERVICE CODES - Articles, Comments, Discoveries - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2851 of 2973 Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty View Post

......I'd love to skip the analog>digital>conversion with the HDPT=0 setting, but it seems to be unwise to do so with the newer sets that have the PLL fix, like mine.(Is that really the case?)..

Have you tried it? IMHO, this is your safest and easiest option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty View Post

... I Just wondered if setting all MID5 parameters to zero and turning off all image enhancements would actually allow for a straight delivery of the analog Xbox signal to the analog CRT display of the TV(which is what I'm really trying to accomplish!)...

This would likely cause a LOT of trouble for you and your set and not achieve your goal.

Good Luck

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2973 Old 12-23-2009, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was also thinking initially that this would be the most direct and easiest way to get unconverted analog output. There does seem to be a lot of reading on the boards about this topic, but I have yet to read about anyone setting the HDPT parameter to 0 for the express purpose of eliminating input lag for video gaming.

I did a little more reading and came across a few posts (#984-#988 in this thread) warning users not to fiddle with the HDPT setting. Here is a snippet from one of them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitewatchman View Post

**disclaimer** At this point, I do not endorse, or recommend that anyone, at least with one of these newer Sony sets "check out" MID-by pass and the "HDPT" setting! As, (just based on my short experiments), #1). I don't think we know "enough" about what it does on these newer sets, it might not be 100% "safe", #2) I don't see that its "MID by pass" does anything "useful", and you can use all Zeros in a MID5 column+accomplish the same thing, at least that seems to be the case given my short experience with it, and from what I can tell. I could be wrong, of course. #3). Also, when you're in SM at least, you might find the screen becoming "all garbled" if you set it to "0" making the Service Menu info "unreadable", therefore you'll be in a real fix if you don't know a way "out" of it. #4). At least on my set, when using HDPT=0, the User menus and channel displays/banners/etc. do not display properly.

My main concern is somehow locking myself out of the service/user menus, and/or "bricking" my set with this setting. I'm all for experimentation, but I just want to make sure I'm not playing with fire here...
post #2853 of 2973 Old 12-23-2009, 07:50 PM

Ok, went ahead and set HDPT to 0 for the component inputs. The user menus and OSD jump around the screen, but otherwise is working fine...very cool option to have for gaming.
Gamelore likes this.
post #2854 of 2973 Old 12-27-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTech View Post

13.2 - PRECISION FOCUSING: A RECOMMENDED PROCEDURE.

I'm about to do this on a 34XS955 (16:9) set because my convergence is not to my satisfaction. I can get everything perfect in the center of the screen but the edges are pretty bad. I want to be able to put up a 720p or 1080i image from my computer via HDMI and read fine text when surfing the web. I see no reason why this can't be possible but, as of the sets current state everything about 6 inches on either the right or left side is pretty blurry and the red/gree/blue is clearly not lining up.

Anything I should be aware of before doing this?

Should I set ALL settings that have to do with focus and convergence to their standard default of 31/32? What about my landing settings, leave them as they are?

thanks.
post #2855 of 2973 Old 12-28-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextGen View Post

I'm about to do this on a 34XS955 (16:9) set because my convergence is not to my satisfaction. I can get everything perfect in the center of the screen but the edges are pretty bad......

I don't think that procedure will fix misconvergence.
Quote:

.... I want to be able to put up a 720p or 1080i image from my computer via HDMI and read fine text when surfing the web. I see no reason why this can't be possible but, as of the sets current state everything about 6 inches on either the right or left side is pretty blurry and the red/gree/blue is clearly not lining up. .....

I would recommend working on the convergence and focus, independent of one another.
Quote:

......Anything I should be aware of before doing this?

Should I set ALL settings that have to do with focus and convergence to their standard default of 31/32? What about my landing settings, leave them as they are?

thanks.

I would recommend starting with what you already have. Write them down and don't attempt ANY type of reset. BTW, the focus (QP) parameter defaults for your set are not 31 or 32.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #2856 of 2973 Old 01-06-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg du jour View Post

By postage stamp, I mean 4:3 stuff that is letterboxed, so that in normal mode, there is black space on all 4 sides. This is the only thing I zoom in on. I would like it so that in Zoom mode, the edges of the picture I see in normal mode go to the edges of the screen (or close), eliminating all the black space but still retaining all of the picture content I see in Normal. As it is now, all 4 edges of the picture are cropped, too much by my reckoning, in Zoom mode.

Since, as you pointed out, Zoom makes 4:3 material as wide as the screen, and I feel too much is cut off on the sides in this mode, does my adjustment then become a different issue? Not sure if I have the right words here, but one of RASTER and/or OVERSCAN?

Know I'm a little bit late on this. I also found the 960's zoom cut off the edges and since it stretched the picture beyond 34 inches it also caused the picture quality to appear less sharp because it was over-stretched.

The solution was not to use the 960's zoom at all.

I first went into the service menu to insure the 960's overscan in the full mode was adjusted properly. I then set my HD-DVR and DVD recorder to output everything at 1080i. Since all 480p material is upconverted to 1080i via HDMI, the 960's picture mode is automatically set to full and (with the properly adjusted overscan) fits the screen perfectly.

The DVR is set to "auto fit" so upconverted standard definition 4x3 material is seen 16x9.

The DVD recorder is also set to output 4x3 material to fill a 16x9 screen, however, DVD-Rs recorded from HD (downcoverted to 480i) cause 4x3 pictures to appear windowboxed. Using the DVD recorder's zoom enables the picture to fit the screen perfectly. The picture quality is also better compared to using the 960's zoom because it is not stretched out of proportion.

The 960's vertical expand is used (instead of full) when watching DVD-Rs recorded in letterbox.

Again, sorry I'm a little late with this response.
post #2857 of 2973 Old 01-13-2010, 06:29 PM

CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!! I have a KV34XBR910 with the seven blinking code in replacing the IC ......... I accidently destoryed the resistor in R8058 location and the diode in the D8010 location on the D board anyone know the value and or the part #'s of these parts .
post #2858 of 2973 Old 01-17-2010, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Is it possible to get this thread in Lamen's?

I was able to set my overscan last night. Once you figure out how to navigate the dang service menu, it's not so daunting.
post #2859 of 2973 Old 01-19-2010, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scitek View Post

Is it possible to get this thread in Lamen's?

I was able to set my overscan last night. Once you figure out how to navigate the dang service menu, it's not so daunting.

It is possible, but I am afraid if it is to be done it'll be you that does it. I don't mean that to sound condescending, but I can't imagine anyone doing such a thing at this point.

This thread has earned its place at the top of the pile. It started innocently enough by goodhearted people trying to help one another. As it grew it was joined by so many, including professional as well as laymen. It got so big so fast that at times the OP did summarize pieces for some. But those summaries are few. I can attest to having wanted that myself. But by forcing myself to dig, and dig, and dig I learned so much more by trial and error than I ever would have by being spoon-fed the codes and steps. If you do go through the entire history of the thread you will find attachments, or links to them, that have charts and lists of codes and effects, but I no longer recall exactly where they are.

I hope you choose to go "end to end" with this thread. So much of video and home theater will become clear and understandable. Lots of wonderful people argued, laughed and shared throughout this thread and the result is not just information, but how the information was arrived at and why it is what it is. This might well be the best of AVS.

Enjoy!

steve
post #2860 of 2973 Old 01-30-2010, 07:00 PM

I just picked up a 30SX955, but the display is tilted to the left slightly. I currently have a PS2 and Xbox hooked up via Component, a Turbo Grafx hooked up via Composite, and cable hooked up via RF. All inputs are tilted, so that the left side of the screen is lower than the right hand side of the screen.

For instance, if you were to watch ESPN or have a video game with scrolling in the background, you can see that you lose image when it's streaming right to left.

I played with the UVLN and LVLN and saw that it affects top and bottom of the screen. In other words, the left and right edges look fine, but the lower left corner is lower than the lower right corner. Same with the upper corners - left is lower than right.

I played around with the Geometry settings, but cannot seem to correct the issue. Nothing seems to take the left hand side of the screen and raise it.

Now, I haven't read through the thread, just enough of the tutorials to make myself dangerous, but I can't seem to find the right words in order to find someone else who may have had this issue. Can someone please help me or point me in the right direction?

Edit -
Found the "rotate" SM code of 2170D-1 #8 NSC0. Unfortunately, this does nothing to my display if I push it to the extremes. Should this have fixed the issue?

Edit 2 -
Found the "tilt" in the menu, does not adjust the display at all...
post #2861 of 2973 Old 01-30-2010, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmup-o View Post

I just picked up a 30SX955, but the display is tilted to the left slightly.....

Have you read through these two pdf's? Geometry XBR960 & Geometry XBR2 I'm not sure where you got the idea that UVLN and LVLN might help as those two parameters are really only used to adjust the linearity of the WideZoom screen mode. I would suggest putting them back to the original values.

I would further suggest that you use a crosshatch pattern to adjust geometry. Its really the only way to see what is happening while changing parameter values.

post #2862 of 2973 Old 01-31-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

Have you read through these two pdf's? Geometry XBR960 & Geometry XBR2 I'm not sure where you got the idea that UVLN and LVLN might help as those two parameters are really only used to adjust the linearity of the WideZoom screen mode. I would suggest putting them back to the original values.

I would further suggest that you use a crosshatch pattern to adjust geometry. Its really the only way to see what is happening while changing parameter values.

I looked through the Geometry XBR960, but I will try to get a crosshatch up on the screen and actually go through the steps.

If it helps, I had an image with a line across the bottom and nothing in the settings lowered the right bottom corner and nothing raised the left bottom corner.

Also, I only used the UVLN and LVLN to see the top and bottom edges - I never wrote the settings to memory.
post #2863 of 2973 Old 02-02-2010, 04:31 AM

Ok, here is what I did last night:

1) Wrote down all of my initial values for 2107D-1 and 2107D-2.
2) Found a crosshatch image on this forum and put it on a thumbdrive.
(Found here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=781394
3) Took the PS3 downstairs and hooked it up to via HDMI and put the crosshatch up on the CRT.

*** Please note, that this TV is not a 30XS955 as previously stated. It's a 30HS420. Trust me, I'm going to have words with the seller. ***

The image I used was the 20x20 in the link above. Picture before I started was losing .5 squares from right to left on the bottom and top of the display.

I started to go through the steps outlined in the XBR960 Geometry Setup to see if I could pull the image clockwise, but just like last time, nothing was the magic option.

So what is it I'm trying to do here? If NSC0 doesn't help me rotate the horizontal lines is it possible to use the other geometry settings to pull the image right? Do I need to just keep adjusting the other settings until I have an image that is off-center on a normal TV, but looks correct on this one?
post #2864 of 2973 Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 AM

Hmm, this is an interesting problem. I'm about to adjust the geometry on my 36XS955 as well, I'll let you know my results.

Twitter: Gizzmonic
PSN: Gizzmonic
post #2865 of 2973 Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 PM

So, after making a bunch of adjustments I'm pretty satisfied with my PQ now on my 960, but there are still a few minor problems I'm trying to work out.

My question is, are there HORIZONTAL versions of PIN, UCP, LCP, LANG, VBOW, LBOW? For example, HTPZ is the horizontal version of PPHA (or at least that how I associate the two). I hope that makes sense.

If I could find those equivalent settings I think I get the geometry just right and then try messing with the focus/convergence on the screen edges.

Thanks in advance!
post #2866 of 2973 Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:

I don't think that procedure will fix misconvergence.I would recommend working on the convergence and focus, independent of one another.I would recommend starting with what you already have. Write them down and don't attempt ANY type of reset. BTW, the focus (QP) parameter defaults for your set are not 31 or 32.

Well, I've readjusted the convergence and focus. Basically, I had to give up a bit of focus in the center and instead just try and get a nice evenness of focus and convergence across the entire screen. This helped the overall picture immensely but I still have one problem.

*Horizontal convergence, especially with the red appears to be off. It's as if the red is up above blue and green. It's very slight and not noticeable when viewing movies or playing games but, it's there. It's easily noticed when viewing text from the PS3 web browser. Is there no way to adjust this?

Also, I have some issues with 480i as well.
I have a "soft" picture in 480i and I also can't get the black bars to center correctly on the screen.

*For the 480i image quality did anyone ever figure out what some of the service codes did that were specifically for 480i?

*What are all the codes that only effect the centering of the screen for the "Normal" picture mode?

The set looks pretty phenomenal as it is now. I spent quite a long time understanding how to do all this but it was time well spent.

Great thread everyone!
post #2867 of 2973 Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:

I don't think that procedure will fix misconvergence.I would recommend working on the convergence and focus, independent of one another.

It ended up being that none of the code adjustments helped. I ended up doing a precision focus adjustment by filing out a hole in the back of the set then adjusting focus with a screwdriver. Then I went back in and adjusted the service codes to great effect alleviation much of the convergence issues.

Now I want to go back in and refocus the set to see how sharp I can get it. Without proper convergence in the center of the screen it's hard to achieve good focus. Although, I suspect I could turn off all but one gun and adjust focus for it then work my way up to all three.

Quote:

I would recommend starting with what you already have. Write them down and don't attempt ANY type of reset.

What I already had about 1 year ago from the factory was absolutely terrible. I ended up getting it as good as possible myself. I just had no idea the precision focus pot was that far off. It was so bad that some of the focus and convergence codes did nothing at all that I could see. Once I got better focus of the screen all the code adjustments are noticeable now.

Quote:

BTW, the focus (QP) parameter defaults for your set are not 31 or 32.

It's a good place to start from. That's what I meant. It's actually at 31 right now and adjusting it in either direction takes the picture out of focus.

I just had no idea turning that focus knob behind the set could do so much for the picture. I have my HTPC connected via HDMI and I can "almost" read fine text in 1080i from 6 feet away. In 720p I can read fine text with no issues at all. 1080i even allows me to use the PS3 browser and read forum like this from over 10 feet away. My TV is approaching the clarity and resolution of my FW900 computer monitor and, that is no easy task for ANY display.

Some ps2 games running in 480p look better than some xbox games. Tekken 5 is a great example on how greatly focus can effect your picture. I can play DOA3 or DOA2U on Xbox then switch to Tekken 5 in 480p and it's really difficult to argue which game is technically superior. Tekken 5 is cleaner than both DOA games. Upscaled field rendered games from PS2 really benefit as well.

I knew this was an amazing TV but, I never knew it was this amazing.
post #2868 of 2973 Old 04-07-2010, 11:24 AM

I'm having problems with the Landing settings on my kd-34xs955. On the Top Right there is a green discoloration and a red discoloration a little below that. I tried adjusting RT in the LANDING settings, but it only makes one color go away while the other gets worse. I also tried adjusting some of the other LANDING settings with no improvement. I have moved electronics away from the tv and let it degauss with no improvement. Anyone know a solution to this? Or do I need to call a technician?
post #2869 of 2973 Old 04-07-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xomoi View Post

I'm having problems with the Landing settings on my kd-34xs955. On the Top Right there is a green discoloration and a red discoloration a little below that. I tried adjusting RT in the LANDING settings, but it only makes one color go away while the other gets worse. I also tried adjusting some of the other LANDING settings with no improvement. I have moved electronics away from the tv and let it degauss with no improvement. Anyone know a solution to this? Or do I need to call a technician?

Was it originally caused by magnetism from a speaker or power supply in a component? If yes, then you might wait a little longer for power on degaussing to take care of it. Residual magnetism takes some time to degauss out.

post #2870 of 2973 Old 04-07-2010, 02:55 PM

There is a radio under the tv, I'll remove for a couple of weeks and see if that clears it up. Thanks for the reply.
post #2871 of 2973 Old 04-09-2010, 01:56 PM

see post 2878
post #2872 of 2973 Old 04-12-2010, 10:35 PM

Wow! That's what I said to myself when I first found this thread. I was looking for some information on possibly adjusting my 5 year old KV-34HS420, and boy did I find some!

At first I wasn't even going to attempt anything, but after reading (and re-reading) some posts I decided to give it a go. The set needed some overscan/geometry adjustments as well as focus. After some trial and error I can safely say I've brought this set back to life. I can't believe how far off the focus was, especially the sides/corners. Now I can read my DVR's TV guide without squinting.

A big thanks to Ken and everyone that contributed to this thread. The internet can be an amazing thing.

Cheers!
post #2873 of 2973 Old 04-13-2010, 09:27 PM

In this post Kentech says that 480p bypasses the 2103 chip. However, every single time I alter some of the settings in 2103-1 they seem to directly effect my PS2/PS3 games. I believe now, unless schematics prove otherwise that, at least with an RGB signal from my PS2 or PS3, the 2103 chip is not bypassed, even with HDMI. I know I'm not imagining things either. I clearly see a tighter picture with less motion artifacts when rotating a camera in any game.

I've also come to conclude that MHLY and MHLC in the MID5 group of codes causes blur on fine text in HDMI on my PS3.

I'm now writing a short paper that lists all the important codes and how to set them to achieve the cleanest picture from an uncompressed source such as a game console. I'm sure many calibrators and long time members will find lots of things wrong with the article and that's fine by me. Just be sure and state what needs to be changed.

After proper grayscale and color calibration via the guide over at curtpalme.com, the precision focus adjustment per this thread, convergence, landing, and picture enhancement minimization, I know have a display that looks so good I have people tell me that some of the game characters look as if you could just reach in and pull them out of the TV. I never knew any display could look this good.
post #2874 of 2973 Old 04-13-2010, 10:32 PM

Final Update... Probably.

5/22/2011

See the attached files for a complete revamped and overhauled set of code changes. IMO, for playing video games, they are above and beyond anything I've seen on my set before. It's almost as if the old CRT's have their own versions of Super Sampling, Anti-aliasing and, Texture Filtering with these codes.

34xs955_HDMI_ReadMeFirst.doc 33.5k . file

CRTWega.pdf 97.986328125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CRTWega.pdf (98.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: doc 34xs955_HDMI_ReadMeFirst.doc (33.5 KB, 38 views)
post #2875 of 2973 Old 04-24-2010, 01:20 AM

Liked: 12
Thanks NextGen

I have been studying this thread for awhile know and have only fiddled with overscan and convergence. But I am starting to feel very comfortable with the menus and understanding of how everything operates.

The majority of the usage of my set is 360 games and sometimes DVDs, so I am interested in improving these aspects.
post #2876 of 2973 Old 04-24-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky11 View Post

Thanks NextGen

I have been studying this thread for awhile know and have only fiddled with overscan and convergence. But I am starting to feel very comfortable with the menus and understanding of how everything operates.

The majority of the usage of my set is 360 games and sometimes DVDs, so I am interested in improving these aspects.

I know geometry can really be a pain. The one thing that has helped me is doing the precision focus adjustment. It just made it easier to see the slightest change.
post #2877 of 2973 Old 05-01-2010, 05:00 PM

Why is it that some service menu codes are locked or do nothing on smaller sony crts? I have a sony model kv-13m40 and another small sony crt in which some common values do nothing. Values such as hsiz, cpin, pamp, trap, and some other do nothing to change the geometry. The numbers can be adjusted but they do not change the picture. I assume that this is done intentionally since I have two sets in which those same values are locked. It's not that big of a deal, but I would like to know why it set this way.
post #2878 of 2973 Old 07-13-2010, 08:07 PM

Hello Fellows.

Last week I was fortunate enough to purchase an XS-955 off of Craigslist for a mere $100.

It's a dream set for me, my first true hdtv, and much preferable to a cheap LCD television in terms of image quality.

I have been reading this thread daily, but it seems I still can't seem to get through the dense explanations and tutorials. It seems like a lot of data is all over the place.

Can someone help me out with just one aspect of the tv that I want to modify?

I would like to correct the overscan on my set. Currently it is cutting off quite a bit too much of the screen imo. I can tell by looking at various sources like games and network channels that I'm missing about 10% of the image. I know CRT's have a bit of overscan, but I think I can lessen this effect and improve image the quality.

What are the specific settings to change in the service menu to just reduce the overscan uniformly? I know that I am looking for H-Size and V-size, but I have been reading in this thread that I must also change some settings to maintain the image processing features are being applied over the same area. Does that sound right?
post #2879 of 2973 Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_S View Post

I would like to correct the overscan on my set. Currently it is cutting off quite a bit too much of the screen imo. I can tell by looking at various sources like games and network channels that I'm missing about 10% of the image. I know CRT's have a bit of overscan, but I think I can lessen this effect and improve image the quality.

What are the specific settings to change in the service menu to just reduce the overscan uniformly?

Start here.
post #2880 of 2973 Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 PM

I think I am all set to enter the service menu and correct the overscan on my set, but I have run into a small problem.

I don't have the original remote, and I can't figure out a way to press the 5 key that is required to enter service mode.

I have two universal remotes. One is from Insight Digital, and the other is an RCA universal remote. Both are able to perform every function of the tv, except to be able change the channel in OTA mode. If I press the number keys it always tries to send the signal to my cable box?

Does anyone know the specific universal code for this TV, or a universal remote that can enter service mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page