Forum Jump: 

post #2941 of 2962 Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I can't speak with authority on this, since I've never owned an SD Sony tube (only HD). But 480p would require a higher scanrate than 480i (31.5 kHz versus 15.75 kHz). So it seems unlikely to me that you'd be able to convert a 480i tube to 480p by simply throwing some switch in the SM. 480p also requires add'l processing to de-interlace the image.

I do not recommend using 480p on the Sony HD tubes btw. IMO, it's more fatiguing to the eyes than using 1080i, and the phosphor persistence is worse. (Note: both the Progressive and Cinemotion settings for 480i inputs will display as 480p on the HD tubes. So I recommend avoiding these as well, if you can.)

ADU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 2962 Old 01-23-2012, 07:50 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

It looks like the 36FS10 also predates "V-compression", which was added to alot of SD TVs later on to improve the picture quality of 16:9 video content (e.g. widescreen anamorphic DVDs).

If you can get into the SM on the TV, you might be able to "convert" it to a 16:9 TV by squeezing the video image with the vertical sizing controls. Then you could change the setting on your DVD player to 16:9, and watch widescreen anamorphic DVDs at full 480i resolution.

I did this on one of my older (non-Sony) 480i tubes, and it worked quite well. Only problem is you have to go back into the SM and switch the vertical controls back whenever you want to watch a regular 4:3 source properly, which was a PITA.

ADU
post #2943 of 2962 Old 01-27-2012, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i recently did a factory reset via the service menu on my bravia ex320 and now the rgb signal off my virgin box is really fuzzy especially on the blacks and greys like on the on demand menu can anyone help / have any idea what would cause this maybe i pressed something in service menu by accident??
post #2944 of 2962 Old 01-29-2012, 10:29 PM

Hey there, im in the same position, trying to adjust my 34HS420, any luck for u ?
would u be kind enough to send the right values on the service menu for me ?
my tv colors looks horrible after a friend of mine trying to tweak it , what a genius ah
post #2945 of 2962 Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

You should never reset the SM on the Sony HD CRTs, under any circumstances.

Resetting the SM will not restore the TV to the original settings when you bought it. It will erase all data in the SM, including settings/tweaks made at the factory which are crucial to the TV's basic operation.

NEVER...

EVER...

EVER...

EVER... reset the SM.

If that's what you've done, then I think these your basic options:

a) Try to find a professional calibrator who knows his way around the Sony CRTs, and thinks he can fix it (which is becoming somewhat hard to find).

b) Take it to a Sony authorized repair shop, and hope they know what they're doin.

c) Contact Sony Parts, and ask if they still have a "900" (ie fee-based) nonauthorized technical support line where you can get some help. (Note: you may need a copy of the service manual for this as well.)

d) Order a service manual and try to fix it yourself (which may make matters even worse if you are not a very technical person, because there aren't really any detailed instructions included in the service manuals).

e) Try to find someone else with the same model, who's written all their original settings down (like you should have done in the first place), and has the time to help you figure it all out.

f) Accept that you made an unfortunate mistake and look for another similar TV on Craigslist to replace it, or get a shiny new plasma or LED TV instead.

ADU
post #2946 of 2962 Old 02-25-2012, 05:34 AM

Getting back to my SD Wega (36FS10) - I get it that it might not be able (or even desirable) to enable 480p in the service menu (even if that were possible). Enabling V compression would be useful - has anyone ever seen that as a setting in the service menu?

What I'm really interested in is -> has Sony ever put PiP (enable/disable) in the service menu for any of these Wega TV's?
post #2947 of 2962 Old 02-27-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xomoi View Post

Why is it that some service menu codes are locked or do nothing on smaller sony crts? I have a sony model kv-13m40 and another small sony crt in which some common values do nothing. Values such as hsiz, cpin, pamp, trap, and some other do nothing to change the geometry. The numbers can be adjusted but they do not change the picture. I assume that this is done intentionally since I have two sets in which those same values are locked. It's not that big of a deal, but I would like to know why it set this way.

I have this exact problem. I can't change the geometry of my old 20 inch Sony Trinitron because adjusting the HSIZ value does not change the picture at all. The HSIZ code seems to be locked.

I really need to unlock the HSIZ. Can anyone help me?
post #2948 of 2962 Old 05-03-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have a KV34XBR800 with a build date of Nov 2002 and I've noticed it recently shutting down while viewing. My initial guess is that it's the two IC parts that seem to be the typical cause of this sort of problem. However, when turning it on, it's inconsistent as far as how many "blinks" the red standby light flashes before it starts up. Sometimes it's as little as a couple up to 9 flashes. The other thing - the last couple times it's shut down, the screen kind of flashes to a near solid red as it shuts down. Removed the back and wound up spending a lot of time thoroughly cleaning out the dust. Checking the onscreen maintenance/status display, this is what I get:

Version 0 0 Service
F/A: 11111111 10111111
CBA: 11111111 10110001

Anyone have any ideas what that means?
post #2949 of 2962 Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 AM

i have the kd-34xbr960. im using it for xbox.360 hdmi gaming. i switched hdpt to 0 and input lag went.away, but gave me a picture with part of the left chopped off, flunctuating brightness as stuff on the screen moves, and the infamous vertical right-to-left scrolling bar. i managed to fix the picture position thru the service menu but i still have those other 2 problems. plz help!
post #2950 of 2962 Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 PM

post #2951 of 2962 Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 PM

Thank you! This info helped me too
post #2952 of 2962 Old 07-30-2012, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi any service mode tweaks for old sony kv36fs13? I've tried a lot of them.
post #2953 of 2962 Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 PM

Oh, please somebody help!

I made my final service mode screen adjustments on my KD-34XBR970 and saved the parameters to non-volatile RAM (+) and within a second or so the screen flipped into a GRID PATTERN and the television started producing a TEST TONE!

Ah!!! eek.gifmad.gif

Now when I turn on the set I can see my DVD component input for about one or two seconds but the television immediately switches to a blaring TEST TONE and this GRID TEST PATTERN.

I can go into service mode again but the whole time the tv's blares the test audio tone and the video input cannot be switched.

Any ideas??? smile.gif

I hope someone knows how to adjust this!

The internal grid pattern would have been really useful to know how to turn on when calibrating but now that I'm done I really need it off!
post #2954 of 2962 Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 PM

Oh, and yes, I already tried unplugging the set for a few minutes and plugging it back in... it still came up and switched right into test tone mode.

While the service mode works, if I don't choose service mode I can't do simple things like change the volume level. I think I bricked my whole TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnkit View Post

Oh, please somebody help!
I made my final service mode screen adjustments on my KD-34XBR970 and saved the parameters to non-volatile RAM (+) and within a second or so the screen flipped into a GRID PATTERN and the television started producing a TEST TONE!
Ah!!! eek.gifmad.gif
Now when I turn on the set I can see my DVD component input for about one or two seconds but the television immediately switches to a blaring TEST TONE and this GRID TEST PATTERN.
I can go into service mode again but the whole time the tv's blares the test audio tone and the video input cannot be switched.
Any ideas??? smile.gif
I hope someone knows how to adjust this!
The internal grid pattern would have been really useful to know how to turn on when calibrating but now that I'm done I really need it off!
post #2955 of 2962 Old 08-17-2012, 01:07 AM

Sorry for the noise! I found the solution here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/531494/the-sony-service-codes-articles-comments-discoveries/1700_100#post_7940621
http://www.avsforum.com/t/531494/the-sony-service-codes-articles-comments-discoveries/1400_100#post_7472949

THANK YOU AVSFORUM!

In the blue colored text section -- the QM section -- it's the service code PATN. It needs to be set to 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnkit View Post

Oh, and yes, I already tried unplugging the set for a few minutes and plugging it back in... it still came up and switched right into test tone mode.
While the service mode works, if I don't choose service mode I can't do simple things like change the volume level. I think I bricked my whole TV.
post #2956 of 2962 Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 PM

Hey everyone. I'm having some focus issues with my KV-30HS420. The edges are really blurry. I understand that these CRTs all have this to some degree, but I watch a lot of anime/subtitles movies and it is noticeable and annoying. I have used the service menu and made the screen size nearly perfect (as it too was off) and tried adjusting the "focus settings" like QPAM, QPAV etc. to no avail. I know others have posted with similar problems, but I was wondering if anyone else with this set had some service values that I could use to help with this focus issue. Feel free to reply or PM me.
Thanks.

Edit:
It appears that the focus problem extends beyond just the edges of the screen. The text on the XMB menu of my PS3 looks kind of blurry. Are there any service mode values that I can tweak to correct for this (preferably less invasive settings as I'm afraid of bricking my TV)? I would rather not open up this television as I'm not the most technologically inclined when it comes to this kind of thing.
post #2957 of 2962 Old 09-07-2012, 05:52 PM

Hello! my tv model is a sony wega kv30hs420 does anyone know how to deal with a wave effect on bottom of the screen? it only appears on hd sources (component and HDMI) but not on 480i or 480p. I've tried adjusting it in the service menu but nothing seems to help.
EDIT: it only seems to appear at 1080i and not 720p.
post #2958 of 2962 Old 11-25-2012, 05:01 PM

Im having a problem with my XBR960. There is a layer of static over the picture. This is regardless of source and the static goes over not only the actual video feed but also things like the user menu. I'm worried this might be a problem with something inside the set but does anyone know if this is something that can be fixed through the service menu? I'm really frustrates because I don't want to go through all the trouble of acquiring a new one of these. Thanks.
post #2959 of 2962 Old 01-06-2013, 06:36 PM

Hi,

I searched this thread & cannot locate a similar problem.

My 34xbr960 remote has become unresponsive & the set is changing input to memory stick mode while watching TV.

First I thought it was my remote & changed the batteries, but using the manual controls does not help.

Is it toast or is there any solution?

I am watching Sony 40" Google TV but it's pathetic compared tomy XBR.

Can anyone point me to a thread where this has been discussed. Thanks.
post #2960 of 2962 Old 07-09-2013, 02:02 PM

I have some new settings I've been tinkering with in regards to lower resolution video games.
Specifically PS1 which outputs 240p. The TV seems to scanrate convert the signal to 480i, I guess?
If anyone else knows what other settings do inside the DRCMFV1 and DRCV code groups I'd love to understand them more.

So the object here was to lessen the impact of blurriness from the DRC (Digital Reality Creation) processing.
*My set is the 34xs955 16:9 model.
*I used a real PS2 console with Component into Video 6
*DRC mode set to Progressive
*PRO setting

There are no adjustments for DRC on the user menu unless you change the ID7 code to 25 which I do not recommend you save it as if you do as it might ruin the TV. However, if you do set ID7 to 25 you can go into the user menu and adjust all three user DRC modes to 1 and 1 and they will save. No idea if this actually effects anything I just figured it wouldn't hurt. I did not save ID7 to 25 as I was afraid it could damage the TV.

With a service manual, and Doom for PS1 I did some testing and here is what I found.
First of all, I set a lot of stuff to 0 in the 2103-1 and 2170P-3 code groups. (My settings are nothing like they were before so disregard previous post settings)
Keep in mind I have all sharpness settings at 0 on my set and all Velocity Modulation Turned Off/bypassed/disabled in the service menu as well, I think that's why having settings like PREO and SYSM to 0 seem to work fine, as in have no effect on the image.

For 2103-1 = SHAP, PREO are all now set at 0

The 2103-1 SHFO code is now set to 3 (It appears SHFO shifts focus. It's easily recognizable on text like the Avia II DVD menu in 480i when set to 3 everything looks centered to me. Not sure if PREO needs adjusting after this or not, it's hard to tell) (However, I did my testing of the DRC groups with it set to 0 as I think it makes it easier to see differences when adjusting)

For 2170P-3 = SYSM, ALL VM codes, SHOF, SHFO, PROV, F1LV, LTLV, LTMD, and CTLV are all set to 0

When playing Doom for PS1 here is what I notice...
Inside DRCMFV1 I have noticed that when MFVR is set to 1, assuming other codes are set per the service manual, text is easier to read. However, there is a blur of all the textures and what appears to be severe lag when playing the game, it's an almost watery look to everything during movement. When I set MFVR to 0, text is harder to read as it is blocky compared to 1. Textures appear sharp, almost too sharp and that is where i think I am on to a discovery.

In DRCMFV1 I have codes FMTH, FSEL, LMIT, LMLV, LMSL, VDLY, VDPR, WPLL, CRCT, VRA all set to 0
In DRCV I have codes ORES, VRB, and ONCT set to 128. NRA is set to 0

Inside the DRCMFV1 code group:
*With MFVR set to 1 and VRB set to anything the game itself looks and feels watery and laggy during movement.
(Watery is the only way I can describe the effect.)

*With MFVR set to 0 and VRB set to 0 textures look sharp but blocky, and text is harder to read.
(The game as a whole appears too sharp as if sharpness is turned up on the set.)

*With MFVR set to 0 and VRB set to 128, factory, textures look good but still slightly blocky.

*With MFVR set to 0 and VRB set to 255 not only do textures look smooth instead of blurry, but the blocky-ness seems to be alleviated to a good extent.
The game feels less laggy as if the frame-rate has increased even though I know it hasn't, and I don't get that watery look while playing.

Another way to show the effects is if you look at the little man face and the text at the bottom of the screen in Doom 1.
MFVR=0 + VRB=0 The guys face looks blocky and text is blown out.
MFVR=0 + VRB=128 The guys face looks slightly blocky compared to VRB @ 0, text looks fine, textures do gain some detail but the entire game still looks slightly blurry.
MFVR=0 + VRB=255 The guys face is clearer, I can see the white inside the eyes, text is clear as well, textures do appear slightly soft but still full of detail, as in they do not look blurry.

This leads me to believe that VRB interacts with MFVR as some kind of blur filter combined with sharpness or possibly they interact like the Wet/Dry of an effect processor.
VRB @ 255 and MFVR @ 0 seems to do the least amount of processing to the signal. I notice less lag, clear text and textures, with no watery look during movement. There is a slight softness to the textures, but I believe this is actually what the textures should look like to begin with since fine detail is still present.

And this last part could be my imagination but, for some reason setting all the DRCV codes to 0 appears to help too. I can't really explain it, but it seems to clean up more of that watery movement feeling I get from low res games. However, this could all be my imagination or simply more interaction with the DRCMFV1 code group which could complicate everything even more.
Then again, setting the first DRCV code to 128 or 255 and the rest to 0 may also be cleaning up the image a bit too.
I really don't know to be honest. It's somewhat subjective to test some of the settings in regards to motion and such low res imagery.
obligatory IHaveNoIdeaWhatI'mDoing.jpg

I have these adjustments for all inputs.
As of now I have left the DRCV codes set as follows:
ORES, VRA, ONCT = 0 and VRB = 128

The DRCMFV1 codes are:
FMTH, FSEL, LMIT, LMLV, LMSL, VDLY, VDPR, WPLL, CRCT, VRA = 0 and VRB = 255

Perhaps it is just my imagination but this seems to be the optimal DRC settings for my set.

I hope this helps someone, and if anyone has more info on what each the DRC settings do I'd love to hear about them.
I even notice the difference in PS2 games that run in 480i. Games like Ridge Racer V are actually playable now although I'm sure true 240p on an SD set would look better.
And yes Doom 1 still looks like a pixelated mess, it's just now a more tolerable pixelated mess.
I suspect it would look worlds better on an SD set or possibly converted to 480p with a better converter like an Extron Emotia or VSC unit to bypass the TV's DRC engine.
post #2961 of 2962 Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
EDIT: I guess I was in the factory mode and not service mode, which I was able to find. Factory mode has White Balance settings however, and that is what I wanted to tweak. Service menu seemed pretty empty.

I was able to find the Factory Menu code for my KDL46453A, but I can't seem to save anything. I see that other models let you hit 0 and then muting, but it doesn't seem to work for my set. I can't seem to figure out how to save any changes. There is a Data Backup option that is set to OFF, do I need to activate that?

Any help would be appreciated! I've tried other combos I've seen in this thread, such as Muting then Enter (I don't have an Enter button, but I guess it's the "center" button), or 0 then Muting, etc. but nothing has worked yet.
post #2962 of 2962 Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 PM

Maybe I'm tripping.
But i just made a custom resolution of 1440x810@ 60hz progressive scan in nvidia control panel and the tv accepted it.
Did this on a 955 while trying to find custom resolutions that were 16/9 .

sorry for the bump but seemed mind blowing at the time.

I just tested it by using a 1280x720 image and displayed it as Actual Size in the windows photo viewer and got space around the whole image.

Other modes that allowed 16/9 60hz Progressive Scan went all the way to 1840x1035. Any higher and the screen blanked out.
I have no idea how to tell if the display is actually running at these resolutions in true progressive scan other than by nvidia control panel.
can others confirm?

http://pacoup.com/2011/06/12/list-of-true-169-resolutions/

After spending time with it, and going back and forth to interlaced mode, it appears that the xbr960/955 models will do 1840x1035 progressive scan. I had no idea a CRT TV could do this. I wonder what resolution the xbr800s will do in progressive scan? would be nice for down sampling video games
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page