post #751 of 759 Old 09-24-2007, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

I've uploaded the manuals for several sets to megaupload. I didn't get around to starting my own server.

Chassis L05U AA (30PW8420, ...) http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RTC5BA3T
Chassis L05.1U AA (30PW9100D, 30PW9110D, ...) http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4CZ4RI51

I also have a Philips ATSC Training Manual that covers the 9100 series:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=REYC2TNJ

And also another Philips Training Manual:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=740R06LL

Thanks for updating those Oryan!

JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 759 Old 02-13-2008, 09:05 AM

Liked: 10
Hey guys, I've noticed recently that the geometry on my TV is a little off. For instance vertical lines are a bow a little bit at the top, and top to bottom pan shots look a little funky. I never really noticed this until I spent some time watching my friends TV, then going back to mine its really obvious. Im not sure if its just because of age (the TV have ~8000 hours on it), of because something is wrong. I went into the SAM but couldnt really get much done as Im not sure how each of the different settings interact with each other (even after reading the service manual, its all a little over my head).

Im thinking about getting a new TV (a projector, though after seeing thers 8000 hours on the TV in only ~2 years, bulb cost might keep that a dream), but do you think they could get my geometry fixed at a repair shop? or is it a hardware thing that would cost big bucks to get corrected(ie. new tube, etc).

Thanks in advance.
post #753 of 759 Old 02-22-2008, 10:04 AM

I also have this set. I bought it from the Philips Online Store as a refurb. It had overscan issues from the start. It also is hard to read any text on it when playing games because it is fuzzy. But I didn't want to bother with shipping it back to Philips so I figured it was no big deal. Well, I recently brought my PS3 over to my sisters house and played on their 47" 1080p screen. Well, now I know what crap my TV is putting out and can't stand to use it anymore.

I need some guidance to fixing the overscan and fuzziness and I don't look forward to reading this whole thread. Any help? The main problem is in the HDMI and HD-CVI modes.

I called a service center this morning and it is a minimum of $45 for them to even look at it. And that's if I tote it in. Apparently I wouldn't have had to send it back to Philips if I had done something about it last fall when I got it. I could have called this place and they would have come out and fixed it for free. I wish they would have made that clear when buying a refurb from them...
post #754 of 759 Old 02-27-2008, 07:11 AM

Philips made it clear; the terms are on the packing slip they send with the set. My 30PW8420/37 is over two years old now and came from Philips Outlet. No problems at all, but I knew where to call if I needed to.

However, I recently bought a small LCD from PO, and after a few days of use I noticed some issues. The packing slip gave a phone number to call if there were problems. I called, they sent a replacement, I shipped the first one back to the refurb shop, all at their cost.

You just have to take the time to read the instructions. Might even be worth a call to them now to see if they offer any help, since you noticed the problem in the warranty period.

John
post #755 of 759 Old 03-03-2008, 04:45 AM

I think this set has served us well @ $270 bucks, Prices for top brands on larger sizes have fallen like a rock in water.. For around a grand there are some nice lcds on the market.. 1080p is no longer just for the rich and now blu-ray is @ the right price.. Maybe its time to make that move on up.. theres really no reason not to, at this point its just a matter of cash flow..................
post #756 of 759 Old 10-10-2008, 10:00 AM

does anyone else have a issue with playing old school consoles on these tvs and have a motion blur?
post #757 of 759 Old 11-24-2008, 02:58 PM

Anyone hooked up att uverse to this TV using HDMI? Uverse comes with a Motorola vip1216 box and the HDMI connection seems to do some flakey things including intermintant HDCP errors.
post #758 of 759 Old 01-01-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rain View Post

It looks like they copied Sony's front bezel design with the rounded top edge and speaker look on the sides.

Everyone copies Sony these days. For example, their cameras: copied by Olympus. For Bravias they are copied by Vizio(exact copy),Panasonic & Pioneer.
post #759 of 759 Old 06-04-2010, 02:44 AM

I've been trying to use the simple DVD THX calibration tool on this set, but I can't seem to get a decent looking picture. I feel like there's this yellow tint that I can't get rid of no matter what I do (including changing the actual Tint setting, heh). I've tried composite, HD component, and HDMI, and they all look very similar.

Another issue I have is something that really becomes apparent in video games. Character models have this outline by a few pixels. The color of the outline changes depending on the color and direction it's coming from... If it goes to the right, from black, the outline is white. From red, the outline is bluish-green. The outline going to the left is much more faint, and seems more transparent.

The image I've attached has just a few of the outlines going to the right circled in blue.

I feel whatever is causing this, might really be distorting the image for everything, not just games. But I'm not entirely positive.

I downloaded the manual and tried to read about the service menu options, but it seems pretty complicated and overwhelming to me, and I feel like I'd just end up making it worse.

Does anyone have any recommendations or anything on calibrating this set? Like beginner guides, free tools, specific guidance on this set, anything? I'm not looking to become a pro or anything; I really just want to get this thing calibrated so I can play games and watch cable the way they were supposed to be viewed.
LL
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page