New Philips set 30pw9110d - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i saw this at the store i work at, personally i felt its picture quality was slightly below that of the samsung, toshiba, sony (those are the only 30" tubes i could compare to) tho i wonder if using a coax+built in tuner would be a different quality picture to that of external tuner box + component or even hdmi/dvi. however, personally, i haven't figured out if i would spent that extra $200 for the sony 30" which i felt has a better picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 07:34 AM

I bought this TV last night and honestly, i am not too happy with the PQ. I am not sure if it needs calibration but overall the PQ isn't too appealing. HD pictures are good but the thing that is bothering me is the sharp line that comes around brighter colors, for instance text or say if a guy is wearing a white shirt or sthg. i reduced the sharpness as well as the contrast but to no avail. Also, this philips does a very poor job at displaying red. Reds are maroons in this tv. I changed the tint levels but nope. There is an overall greenish tinge. Whites are brownish. 480i sucks. SD looks horrible. Time to flip channels is around 2 seconds which is sheer atrocity. I am gonna sync it to THX settings tonight and see if it improves. Any other calibration ideas friends? I dont think this is a keeper
post #93 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 10:34 AM

OK so anyone who has this tv have these color problems? manye its the tempature?
post #94 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by viper1126
OK so anyone who has this tv have these color problems? manye its the tempature?

I actually thought the color and greyscale looked pretty good. I don't have a color analyzer so I don't know how good the actual tracking is. After using Avia I ended up with brightness 30, contrast 40, and color 65 with the warm temperature setting on the tv hooked thru component from my htpc.

My main problem is the ringing I see around objects and text. I even see it around the input names that come up in the corner when I switch inputs.
post #95 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I have a feeling that if the set were properly calibrated to AVIA or DVE, it would look much better. The older philips at our store looked like crap until i brought in my disk and did a quick run through with AVIA. Next week, I'll be able to test this set out at our store and report back.

praveensg, make sure that your sharpness is off or close to it. Also, make sure things like dynamic contrast are off. At least on my philips, colors only look correct when the color temp is on warm. Otherwise, all the colors look out of wack. As for the slow channel change, I hate it as well, but its not a huge deal in the scheme of things.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #96 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Wutang
I actually thought the color and greyscale looked pretty good. I don't have a color analyzer so I don't know how good the actual tracking is. After using Avia I ended up with brightness 30, contrast 40, and color 65 with the warm temperature setting on the tv hooked thru component from my htpc.

My main problem is the ringing I see around objects and text. I even see it around the input names that come up in the corner when I switch inputs.

Could you take a pic of the ringing? Would it show up in a pic? I know on my set, there was a slight miore (sp) effect that was greatly reduced when I calibrated for overscan. After I shrunk the vertical axis, this banding (what it looked like to me) went away.

I should note that after calibrating my set to AVIA, it looked like there was too much color and peoples faces were to warm. But on the advice of AVIA, i left it like that for a week, and now I realize that it is a much more accurate picture. I was used to the cool setting on my old tv with color set kinda low, so the shock factor of having more color to a while to settle in. Since then, DVD's look much more like they did in the theater.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #97 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by oryan_dunn
Could you take a pic of the ringing? Would it show up in a pic? I know on my set, there was a slight miore (sp) effect that was greatly reduced when I calibrated for overscan. After I shrunk the vertical axis, this banding (what it looked like to me) went away.

I should note that after calibrating my set to AVIA, it looked like there was too much color and peoples faces were to warm. But on the advice of AVIA, i left it like that for a week, and now I realize that it is a much more accurate picture. I was used to the cool setting on my old tv with color set kinda low, so the shock factor of having more color to a while to settle in. Since then, DVD's look much more like they did in the theater.

Hopefully this pic will work. If you look at the picture with the toast, you can see the ringing running verticle on the left hand side.

post #98 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 12:07 PM

Yes Wutang, thatz what I am referring to, the ringing. It is so obvious! Text is pretty hard to read!!! Even the on-screen display text has it. I could see it on the demo tv at walmart too but i said 'heck that could be fixed'. Is there a way to fix it? If that goes away, then I will be more than happy
post #99 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Wutang
Hopefully this pic will work. If you look at the picture with the toast, you can see the ringing running verticle on the left hand side.

Link doesn't work.

post #100 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Link doesn't work.

itz working oryan. try again
post #101 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by praveensg
itz working oryan. try again

I get an error bcvrf.yahoo.com could not be found.

post #102 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 01:15 PM

hmm maybe itz got sthg to do with the cgi!
post #103 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 01:45 PM

Quote:

I get an error bcvrf.yahoo.com could not be found.

Ok, try it now.

post #104 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 02:35 PM

It'd be really cool if someone could point me to some calibration threads on this forum. Tutorial type would be really great
post #105 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 08:13 PM

friends,
i used THX optimizer and believe me the PQ has improved manifold. I connected my dvd player via the component input and adjusted some of the player's settings. it is much better now. However, the ringing problem still continues. It's a prominent greenish halo kinda thing that shows almost around everything. Most bright edges show as double images (ghosts) and most of the picture is hazey. Is there any way to get rid of this ghosting? Or it's just sthg that i'll have to live with. i googled for ghosting but didnt find too many helpful resources. it'd be really great if any of you could give me a workaround for this problem

Praveen
post #106 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 08:27 PM

I also cannot access the link. As far as PQ, are you talking about when the picture is in 4:3 or 16:9 or both? If this is the case, why would Philips sell a TV that has this problem? I'm not saying that it's just your TV, but in general?
post #107 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 08:30 PM

BTW, what is THX optimizer?
post #108 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tuneintuneout
BTW, what is THX optimizer?

well it is more evident in dvd playback and on SD. i am not sure if this is a connection issue. but wat better than component?

THX optimizer is Lucas Films' basic calibration utility. you can find it on some of the newer DVDs like The incredibles, The village, the alamo etc. it's pretty good for basic settings like contrast, brightness etc.
post #109 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 08:46 PM

We have the incredibles here. I have not looked into that dvd yet as far as the features, so I assume something is in there to calibrate the tv?
post #110 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 08:49 PM

Quote:

We have the incredibles here. I have not looked into that dvd yet as far as the features, so I assume something is in there to calibrate the tv?

yeah look in the setup link on the menu. i have the WS version. not really sure if itz there on the FS version. check the jewelcase.
post #111 of 759 Old 05-11-2005, 10:14 PM

Here are some of the screenshots that i took off of my 9110d. it is connected to a DVD player via component cables and is thx optimized. we can clearly see the ghosting near mrs.incredible's hair. also look at the way the screen's converged in some of the thx tests. it flunked the 16X9 test when it totally omitted the left vertical line. also, the lines were wavy. thatz bearable but wat about the ghosting?

tv_sss.zip 459.1865234375k . file
post #112 of 759 Old 05-12-2005, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone else? My local Walmart doesn't have this set in yet, but I wish they would. I currently have the 30" Sanyo, and was hoping to switch it for the 9110d as I can't stand the image distortion problems on the edges of the Sanyo screen. Maybe I need to pass on both, and spend the extra $$ for the 30HS420 or maybe one of the new slimfit Sammys.

If anyone knows of a Walmart in Md that has the 30pw9110d in stock, let me know. I will buy it, test it, and let evertyone know the results.
post #113 of 759 Old 05-12-2005, 11:08 AM

I'm hoping to have the Philips 9110d here by Sat evening at the latest. Will keep you guys informed as to how it does. Also, along with THX optimizer, are there any other programs to help tweak a widescreen tv? SPECIFICALLY ones you can rent in a dvd rental store like Hollywood video or the library?
post #114 of 759 Old 05-13-2005, 11:11 AM

I used this from my signs dvd and picture quality went way up!! Now if we can figure a way to fix the ghosting/banding or whatever you call it. I like this tv and don't want to carry it back. Although its much lighter that the sanyo 30'.

Scott
post #115 of 759 Old 05-13-2005, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by midsouthgeek
I used this from my signs dvd and picture quality went way up!! Now if we can figure a way to fix the ghosting/banding or whatever you call it. I like this tv and don't want to carry it back. Although its much lighter that the sanyo 30'.

Scott

you too can see the ringing (ghost) on your TV? guess it's a production issue then. any service menu tweaks friends?
post #116 of 759 Old 05-13-2005, 01:06 PM

Maybe the ghosting is only on a small amount of TV's, but that's doubtable since 2 people here in this thread have brought this issue up. Why would Philips ship a tv that has this problem? Or maybe it's just a setting that we don't know about that can correct this issue? Has anyone contacted Philips yet about this issue?

I saw on the Philips site, that you can chat with a rep online. Since I have yet to pick up the TV, I will wait and see what happens.
post #117 of 759 Old 05-13-2005, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Maybe the ghosting is only on a small amount of TV's, but that's doubtable since 2 people here in this thread have brought this issue up. Why would Philips ship a tv that has this problem? Or maybe it's just a setting that we don't know about that can correct this issue? Has anyone contacted Philips yet about this issue?

I saw on the Philips site, that you can chat with a rep online. Since I have yet to pick up the TV, I will wait and see what happens.

I have called philips and there techs are not very savy. They both told me that what I was splainin had no adjustment to correct and my only option was to take it back or get a service call on it. I did go back to WallyWorld and they had one on display and it looked the same to me.

Scott
post #118 of 759 Old 05-13-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:

Why would Philips ship a tv that has this problem?

Remember... you get what you pay for. They get away with the price by putting cheaper parts inside which can cause problems over time. The Sanyo I have was $562 and it shipped with very bad component jacks... everyone has the problem... Sanyo knows about it but has no answers. There are also many other flaws that can't be corrected. Picture is great though for a cheap set.
post #119 of 759 Old 05-13-2005, 04:27 PM

It may be a cheap set, but compared to out main TV, which is a 5-6 year old 20 inch RCA tv I wouldn't call it cheap. A tv is a tv to me. A lot of you guys in here know your stuff, and I admire you all for that. If I were to sit down and tell my wife about the progressive scanning vrs interlaced, PQ, she'd look at me like I was crazy and tell me we're not spending over 800 dollars for a TV. I doubt she could tell half the difference in the TV's as you guys can. Me? Ahh, as long as it's HD, HDMI, I can watch my football games, she can watch her weekly tv show and such.
post #120 of 759 Old 05-14-2005, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
kevbeck122 said: The Sanyo I have was $562 and it shipped with very bad component jacks. . .everyone has this problem

Not true. I have the 32" and there are no problems whatsoever with the component video inputs. I currently only have one component video device (Pioneer Elite DV-45A) and the picture quality is stunning via the component video outputs in both progressive scan and interlaced (of course, I have no reason to use interlaced but just wanted to mention that it looked good too). After reading about the poor component video with these Sanyos I tried it with the component 3 input and that looked rock-solid as well.

Maybe I just got lucky
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page