New Philips set 30pw9110d - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 759 Old 05-25-2005, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw the 32PT9100D for $650 at Sam's and the Sanyo HT32744 for $700 at Walmart. Could someone please compare these two. Also are there any other televisions with built in digital tuners for under $800 in the 32" .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 759 Old 05-26-2005, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

Well the 8420 does in fact convert a 720p signal to 1080i. I tested it today and was quite surprised.

thanks for the reply oryan. i guess the 8420 will be a good choice for me.

i plan to get my hdtv feeds through comcast hdtv cable. hopefully the tv really upconverts all 720p signals to 1080i
post #183 of 759 Old 05-26-2005, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUcyberpunk View Post

I saw the 32PT9100D for $650 at Sam's and the Sanyo HT32744 for $700 at Walmart. Could someone please compare these two. Also are there any other televisions with built in digital tuners for under $800 in the 32" .

FSU,
I had recently bought the 9110D and had to return in two days coz of its PQ. The images were so blurred that it was hard to see what was going on I tried all sources but later on realised that this was an inherent problem in the new philips series. And somehow, the WS format did not really impress me. The vertical bars constantly dancing drove me nuts I returned it and got myself a 32744. Let me tell you, it is an awesome piece of engineering. Simply amazing. HD is great, DVD and SD are equally wonderful. The Philips series with built-in tuners is relatively new and it is gonna take some time for philips to fix all the problems. The 32744 has had its share of problems but now it is quite stable as such. Try the 32744, if you dont like it, return it, (which Im sure you will not )!
post #184 of 759 Old 05-26-2005, 08:34 PM

OK
2 things:

1) Does anyone who owns this set NOT see ghosting/banding (only reply if you are confident of your ability to tell)?

2) The S/PDIF: will it output audio of analog OTA broadcasts as well as digital OTA broadcasts?

Thanks
post #185 of 759 Old 05-27-2005, 12:49 PM

Couple of questions on this:

1. Has anyone else adjusted the geometry on their set? If so, what settings did you end up with? I spent a good 30 minutes on it last night, and I can't get it to look any better than it did before. If someone could post the defaults, that'd be great too - I may just set it back there.

2. Does anyone else have a small translucent green bar across the top of the TV while using the regular component input on the back? I do, but it's only when I'm using that particular input, especially for PS2 games. The bar is maybe a quarter to a half an inch tall, and is basically a color overlay of green at the top of the screen. I don't have it when I use the HD component inputs - is it a problem with that particular input?

Thanks.
post #186 of 759 Old 05-27-2005, 01:01 PM

Actually, nevermind - I just found the service manual online. I can't post a hyperlink here, but if you search yahoo with the model number and service manual, you'll find it too.

Thanks anyway!
post #187 of 759 Old 05-27-2005, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
downfall,
email me the link (oryan_dunn@hotmail.com) and i'll update the first post of this thread with the info.

thanks

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #188 of 759 Old 05-28-2005, 07:37 AM

Argh! My 9100 seemed to be perfect at first. I wasn't experiencing this ghosting everyone else was. Now, it's horrible. It mainly shows up on SD sources, but it's now showing up on 480p signals from DVDs and the Xbox. It looks like everything is out of focus. The settings I used before seem to not work anymore. I haven't changed any settings, so I'm not sure why the PQ has degenerated so quickly. This TV is about to go back to the store.

D-Pad Junkies...Get Your Fix (PSP-friendly version)
Xbox Live Gamertag: voodoogmr
PlayStation Network: voodoogmr
post #189 of 759 Old 05-28-2005, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey,

thanks to downfall, here is Philips Service Website:
www.forceonline.com

from here, one can find the service manuals for the new model philips sets:
8420:
http://www.forceonline.com/download.asp?DownloadId=30
91x0d:
http://www.forceonline.com/download.asp?DownloadId=54

I'd also keep an eye on this:
http://www.forceonline.com/products/...ProductId=7159
for updates on this ghosting problem. All of you that have experienced this problem, I'd call them to report it.
The Jail Bars problem of my set is addressed in this section for my set, and I'll try to get the fix done described there.

Another cool thing to look through are the training manuals for these sets:
91x0d:
http://www.forceonline.com/download.asp?DownloadId=43
8420:
http://www.forceonline.com/download.asp?DownloadId=44

I've looked through the 91x0d traning manual and it shows a picture of that set with the back cabinet off. Kinda interesting.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #190 of 759 Old 05-31-2005, 11:07 AM

well i'll be picking up the 8420 from sam's club later today and will give my impressions of it later tonight.
post #191 of 759 Old 05-31-2005, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmccamy View Post

If you go to the Philips website They are showing no 16-9 CRT's. Everything is Plasma or LCD, they do have six 4-3 CRT's.
I own the 34pw9819, and I love it. I know Philips is not a favorite in the Technoelectropurist crowd, but I have a great picture.

I am going to call Philips on this but I'll ask here first: Model # 34 pw9819, Diagonal measurement across viewing screen, 34". At their website they continually refer to it as a 32"? Anyone know why that is?

My Phillips was stolen (30PW850H) and I liked the quality of the set. I am going to get another TV from Electronicsnation.com to replace it soon.

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #192 of 759 Old 05-31-2005, 07:25 PM

so far the tv appears to be pretty good. the only issue is that the brightness was up pretty high and i still need to play around with it to set it up properly.

if anyone has the 8420, could you tell me what the default brightness level was at? i forgot to write it down before i started playing with it
post #193 of 759 Old 06-03-2005, 07:40 PM

Has any one found a way to fix the halos/ghosting problems yet I took mine back and the new one has the ghosting very lightly. But since I know its there it is still annoying.

Scott
post #194 of 759 Old 06-03-2005, 08:23 PM

This is my second week with 9110d.

1, Ghosting problem:
Ghosting appears to be a prevalent problem on this set. However, what I found interesting is it comes and goes on my set. Every time I see the ghosting I just turn off the TV then wait few mins turn back on, the ghosting is gone. It's funny that it last until you turn it off. So people experience this ghosting please try this method see if it works. Well, even it's gone you can still see slightly ghosting if sit 3 feet away. I usually sit 5 feet away so i don't care.

2. Green bar
There is a green bar on the top of the screen in CVI input. I checked the Philips Service Web. They said it's because some chip mess up in early production sets. This is unacceptable.

3. Geometry
By adjust service menu using AVIA, you can get perfect geometry on this set.
Here is my setting:
Horizontal:
HP 7
HB 7
HSH 94
EWW 86
EWP 23
EWT 77
UCP 31
LCP 9
EWS 0
EWC 16

Vertical
VSH 67
VAM 44
VSC 39
VX 0
VSL 116
VL 16

4, Color
Some complain about the red is mess up on this set. Try the following setting. I got perfect color on my set with this setting.
Bright 44
Color 55
Picture 80
Sharp 50
Tint 0
Color Temp: Normal
Contrast+ On

Hope this help.
post #195 of 759 Old 06-05-2005, 10:39 PM

Does this set have a separate RF input for QAM/cable and OTA? This is very important to me and is the reason I returned the Sanyo unit. As with that unit the QAM and OTA HD tuner were on the same RF input. Thus allowing you to only scan for and tune either QAM or OTA HD, but not at the same time. A real pain. Can you scan for and tune QAM and OTA HD at the same time with the Philips?
post #196 of 759 Old 06-05-2005, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentV View Post

Does this set have a separate RF input for QAM/cable and OTA? This is very important to me and is the reason I returned the Sanyo unit. As with that unit the QAM and OTA HD tuner were on the same RF input. Thus allowing you to only scan for and tune either QAM or OTA HD, but not at the same time. A real pain. Can you scan for and tune QAM and OTA HD at the same time with the Philips?

I don't think so. You have to swap between digital tuner/analog tuner to scan channel.

I can't think of any set that support dual RF input. Correct me if i wrong.
post #197 of 759 Old 06-06-2005, 04:20 AM

There is only one HD tuner in the TV, so you can only switch between OTA and QAM. There aren't any TVs that have dual HD tuners that I know of, so the only way to get what you want is to get either an OTA HD box or a digital cable box.
post #198 of 759 Old 06-06-2005, 02:56 PM

Has anyone got this remote to work with anything? Mine don't do any of my stuff
post #199 of 759 Old 06-06-2005, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbeck122 View Post

There is only one HD tuner in the TV, so you can only switch between OTA and QAM. There aren't any TVs that have dual HD tuners that I know of, so the only way to get what you want is to get either an OTA HD box or a digital cable box.

I made a post in the Sony 34XBR forum, and confirmed with the Sony unit it is able to tune both QAM and OTA HD at once. The problem with the Sanyo and Phillips model is that the QAM and OTA HD tuner are on the same RF input all the while having two separate RF inputs. Had Sanyo and Phillips instead simply made separate inputs for cable and antenna each capable of tuning QAM and OTA HD respectively, then this wouldn't be a problem.

The issue once again is Comcast. Since here in San Jose, they don't carry 720p channels through QAM, the user is forced to get an OTA antenna for FOX and WB. Arrgggh.

Looks like I am going to go with the LG 30FZ4D which is shaping up to be a much nicer TV for not much more.
post #200 of 759 Old 06-10-2005, 08:11 AM

So I picked up one of these sets at Wal*Mart before I found this forum - and sure enough. I have the ghosting and some interesting horizontal lines too. So - I guess the question comes down to - is it a bad batch of sets and we can exchange it for a newer one??? Or is this a problem with all of the sets and it needs to be returned??

If anyone does not have this ghosting issue - please let us know!!
post #201 of 759 Old 06-12-2005, 12:28 PM

Hi,
New member here. I saw a Phillips 30PW6341 set at our Wal-Mart for $567 today. Does anyone have this set or any information about it?
Any help will be appreciated.
post #202 of 759 Old 06-12-2005, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Its a non-HD widescreen set:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/3...37_pss_aen.pdf

I'd put an extra 80 bucks up to get the 8420 which is HD.

post #203 of 759 Old 06-15-2005, 06:35 AM

I have the black case philips 30pw9110d from walmart. I have taken back this set once. Still have a slight halo on one side. But last night I watched some HD on PBS and ABC (men in black 2) I notice some strangness in some shots that look striped. Its like looking at the picture with the shadow of some mini-blinds on it. I want to say just in certain colors. Has any one else seen this and is it normal. I also notice that when I turn this set off it has a colorful dot in the center. Kinda like my moms old set as a kid. any thoughts?

Scott
post #204 of 759 Old 06-16-2005, 07:13 AM

Hey everyone...

I saw this set (the black one) at Wal-Mart about two weeks ago and it caught my eye, and now I've stumbled onto this site for more info.

I've seen a few pros, a lot of cons. I admit I am a novice when it comes to HDTV, I know what a THX Optimizer is but that's about it.

For instance, I don't even know if one can view regular cable on an HDTV. Is it possible ? I have digital cable so a few of the channels are available in HD, but not all.

Would anyone out there recommend this set ? Is the grey set a better option ?

Thank you very much for your help.
post #205 of 759 Old 06-21-2005, 10:32 PM

Any new findings on the ghosting factor and quality of this tv? This set looks good, appears to have great HDTV in store, and the price is amazing. It is very tempting but I want to do it right for my first HDTV.
post #206 of 759 Old 06-22-2005, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapu View Post

Any new findings on the ghosting factor and quality of this tv? This set looks good, appears to have great HDTV in store, and the price is amazing. It is very tempting but I want to do it right for my first HDTV.

I am pleased with this set. My ghosting is very little to one side. The wife and kids don't even se it. for the price I don't think you can go wrong. having the built in digital tuner is a nice plus too.

Scott
post #207 of 759 Old 06-28-2005, 07:05 PM

[quote=Budget_HT]Native resolution usually describes the horizontal and vertical pixel counts on a fixed pixel display, like a plasma, DLP, or LCD. CRT HDTVs like this one do not really have a screen-based native resolution, but they often do convert inputs to one or two resolutions for display. For example, my RP CRT HDTV displays 1080i, 480i and 480p directly. It does not display--nor accept an input of--720p.

QUOTE]
Since there are a fixed number of phosphor dots on the CRT, doesn't that set the "native resolution"?
For example, if there are only 800 red phosphors horizontally and 600 red phosphors vertically, wouldn't the maximum - hence native - resolution be 800x600? (on a 4:3 tube, of course)
post #208 of 759 Old 06-29-2005, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=philsexton]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT View Post

Native resolution usually describes the horizontal and vertical pixel counts on a fixed pixel display, like a plasma, DLP, or LCD. CRT HDTVs like this one do not really have a screen-based native resolution, but they often do convert inputs to one or two resolutions for display. For example, my RP CRT HDTV displays 1080i, 480i and 480p directly. It does not display--nor accept an input of--720p.

QUOTE]
Since there are a fixed number of phosphor dots on the CRT, doesn't that set the "native resolution"?
For example, if there are only 800 red phosphors horizontally and 600 red phosphors vertically, wouldn't the maximum - hence native - resolution be 800x600? (on a 4:3 tube, of course)

We may be into semantics here. Also, my interpretation of "native resolution" may be a bit warped.

I agree with the maximums you describe, but I think of native resolution as being synchronized between signals, electronics and display pixels. In other words, a 1920 x 1080 native resolution capability would mean that a 1920 x 1080 source signal (digital) would be processed and displayed with individual pixel-level integrity. Each individual pixel displayed is discrete, and it accurately renders the color and intensity exactly as "specified" by the input signal.

On a direct-view CRT, there are clusters of phosphor dots/slots/stripes that work together to display a single color hue for a theoretical single pixel. But that is driven by three parallel R, G & B analog color signals that vary in amplitude over time. Because of physical, magnetic and electrical adjustments available to control the placement of the electron beam(s) on the face of the display, i.e., for raster positioning and convergence, it is highly unlikely that pixel-level integrity could be maintained from source signal through to physical phosphors on the screen. This is not necessarily bad, because some pretty decent picture quality is possible in this environment. But I don't perceive the direct-view CRT and its associated signal processing and control circuits as having a native resolution. JUST my perception and opinion, no more. RPTV CRTs differ in that their individual signals are combined optically on a single point on a screen, but achieving perfect focus and convergence (comparable to a fixed-pixel display) is not economically justifiable for we consumers.

Compare the direct-view CRT scenario to the ideal purely digital signal path and fixed-pixel display, where every pixel is discrete throughout the process. How many HDTV technologiess are capable of this ideal? There are a few that seem like they could, such as flat panel and projection LCDs (where each physical pixel displays the full range of colors) and DLPs. BUT, in some cases, there are internal D/A and A/D conversions so that user and service menu controls and adjustments can be managed more simply in the analog domain. I am NOT an expert in this area, but I have read accounts of this approach in HDTVs that the consumers perceive to be "100% digital."

Now, some newer LCD displays provide separate physical "pixels" each for R, G & B, as do plasma displays. So how do we determine native resolution for these devices, in clusters of 3 (R+G+B)?

So now you have heard my low-tech perceptions and opinions on native resolution. The bottom line is really, "So what?" If it looks good, buy it and watch it. Sometimes we can get too hung up on complex specification and performance details that eventually have little bearing on the final result. For example, sometimes an accurate, pixel-perfect picture looks a bit harsh when compared to a slightly softer analog display. I have seen DLP sets where deliberate softening has been added to overcome the otherwise "gritty" picture.

So, as always, buy video displays that are pleasing to your own eyes, regardless of the 3 pages of spec's that attempt to prove that product A is technically superior to product B.

Dave
post #209 of 759 Old 06-29-2005, 07:01 PM

Hey guys I just bought this Philips TV from walmart. I love it so far! Although I am a total AV newbie...so take that for what it's worth.

My question: I can't for the life of me get sound out of my dvd player through the TV nor can I get my sub and speakers to make any sound. For the DVD player I'm using the s-video cable for video and Red/Black RCA's for sound. I plug the rca's from the dvd player into the AV1 output on the tv just as the directions say and I get no sound. Same if I plug my speakers into the tv...nothin. Both the dvd player and speakers worked great with my old tv..??

Do I need to setup anything from within the tv setup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sound comes out of the TV no prob and picture is great in tv and dvd...just no dvd sound.

Thanks!!
Ryan
post #210 of 759 Old 06-29-2005, 07:02 PM

Dave,
I read your response with a great deal of interest but little understanding.
It would seem that there is a bit more than semantics involved in resolution matters.
If a display is limited to 800 x 600 (say) individual sets of phosphors then it simply cannot display 1080 lines in the vertical space. Whether a blurring of the original picture is pleasing or not is another matter entirely.
I see an analogy in sound reproduction. The goal in sound reproduction is basically to provide a sound that is as close as possible to the original recorded sound. Shouldn't the goal of a picture reproduction be the same?
My major concern here is that Direct View so-called HDTV's cannot possibly reproduce the full information in the HDTV signal. And yet they claim "1080".
I hope you don't consider this a confrontation. I simply don't appreciate a manufacturer telling me that I am buying an "HDTV" if it cannot produce the full resolution. If they would simply call them EDTV or some such, that would be honest and fine with me.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page