New Philips set 30pw9110d - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 759 Old 04-23-2005, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This is a new model philips set that seems to be a great bargain.

Pictures of it can be seen here:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/30pw9110d_37/

Here is a pic of it

and the manual, setup guide, etc. can be seen here:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/30pw9100d_37/

This set has HDMI, a built in ATSC/QAM tuner, SPDIF out, and someone finally got smart and is making a black CRT tv again. This tv will be somewhere in the 650-700 dollar range.

Here are the specs for each of the new models:
30pw9110d:
http://gearviews.avsforum.com/showpr...hp?product=312

30pw9100d:
http://gearviews.avsforum.com/showpr...hp?product=313

30pw8420:
http://gearviews.avsforum.com/showpr...hp?product=314

Service Information:
thanks to downfall, here is Philips Service Website:
www.forceonline.com

from here, one can find the service manuals for the new model philips sets:
8420:
http://www.forceonline.com/download.asp?DownloadId=30
91x0d:
http://www.forceonline.com/download.asp?DownloadId=54

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 759 Old 04-23-2005, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Dimensions? Huge speakers on the sides again of course.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #3 of 759 Old 04-23-2005, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DaveFi
Dimensions? Huge speakers on the sides again of course.

I think it uses the same cabinet as this set:

And here is the PDF spec sheet for that one:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/3...37_pss_aen.pdf

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #4 of 759 Old 04-25-2005, 04:44 AM

Liked: 10
I have the second set you posted (30PW8502). It seems Philips tv's get a bad rap around here; personally I think it's one of my best purchases. Great HD picture as well as SD, HDMI works perfectly and after some tweaking in the service menu, overscan and geometry are almost perfect.

Do any of you guys know what the "nudge control" is? It's mentioned as a feature on the spec sheet with reference to the widescreen modes, but I can't find any other info on it. Sounds like it has something to do with incremental vertical positioning of the screen.
post #5 of 759 Old 04-25-2005, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

The manual describes the nudge control as being able to move a 16x9 picture up and down vertically using the cursor up/down buttons. It is described as being useful for 2.35:1 letterboxed movies that do not fill the entire screen vertically. Since there would be black borders above and below a 2.35:1 picture anyway, I'm not clear on what the benefit would be.

Dave
post #6 of 759 Old 04-25-2005, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

It looks like they copied Sony's front bezel design with the rounded top edge and speaker look on the sides.
post #7 of 759 Old 04-26-2005, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

If you go to the Philips website They are showing no 16-9 CRT's. Everything is Plasma or LCD, they do have six 4-3 CRT's.
I own the 34pw9819, and I love it. I know Philips is not a favorite in the Technoelectropurist crowd, but I have a great picture.

I am going to call Philips on this but I'll ask here first: Model # 34 pw9819, Diagonal measurement across viewing screen, 34". At their website they continually refer to it as a 32"? Anyone know why that is?

RMc---y
Available HDTV in Walnut Creek
post #8 of 759 Old 04-26-2005, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rickmccamy
If you go to the Philips website They are showing no 16-9 CRT's. Everything is Plasma or LCD, they do have six 4-3 CRT's.
I own the 34pw9819, and I love it. I know Philips is not a favorite in the Technoelectropurist crowd, but I have a great picture.

I am going to call Philips on this but I'll ask here first: Model # 34 pw9819, Diagonal measurement across viewing screen, 34". At their website they continually refer to it as a 32"? Anyone know why that is?

Yes, that set is a 34". Because of rules here in the states, the tv's viewable tube size is what is measured. If you look at philips uk site, they have 36", 32", 28" etc. tube tvs, but they are acutally equivilent to our 34", 30", and 26" respectively. I don't understant philips current US site as they dont' have any mention of 16:9 crt sets. They do make them though.

Here is the link to the files detaling the 34" you mention:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/34pw9819_17/

and the product spec sheet (pss)
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/3...17_pss_aen.pdf

post #9 of 759 Old 04-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know when this tv will be available? The price is good if it does sell for $650-700, but alot of people seem to dislike phillips on this board.. Is it the entire brand that many people dislike, or just specific tv sets? Thanks.
post #10 of 759 Old 04-28-2005, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I personally think that it's a "your father's Oldsmobile" kind of thing. It has got to be a Sony or it ain't s**t. And that in the Good Guys The color, brightness, sharpness, and contrast were all maxed. I currently run mine below half. I really do hype the 9819 and wonder why it was discontinued. It had more bells and whilstles than the current models and delivers a gorgeous picture.

RMc---y
post #11 of 759 Old 04-28-2005, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The store where I work already has 2 sets in stock.

post #12 of 759 Old 04-28-2005, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like best buy has the specs for the 9100d.

This tv is basically the same model as the 9110d, but it has a silver cabinet and has the ATSC/QAM tuner along with a DCR slot. BB's price is 799.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099394446947

post #13 of 759 Old 04-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the link on BB.. It seems like a pretty good price considering the features, etc.. I guess it's a toss up whether it's worth spending more on a more reputable brand or going with a Philips..

One question though.. how are the built-in atsc tuners in tv's compared to OTA receivers like the samsung t351/t451? Do some pick up channels better than others, and do the better brands like sony have better built-in ATSC tuners? I have a samsung t351 currently and love it. The only HD I currently watch and probably for the next yr or so till many more channels roll out on DTV is OTA, so a non-flaky tuner is important. Thanks.
post #14 of 759 Old 04-28-2005, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Mikeoz
Thanks for the link on BB.. It seems like a pretty good price considering the features, etc.. I guess it's a toss up whether it's worth spending more on a more reputable brand or going with a Philips..

I'd say that Philips is a name brand. Like Rick said below, many people think that Philips is a lower end brand. They arn't a real high end like some of the Sony sets, but many of the models talked about here are the lower end models available at places like BB or Wal-Mart. Philips does (or did anyway) make high end HD CRTs that retailed for close to 2000. Those sets are usually highly regarded here on the boards (sets with the model numbers 3xPW981x). Like I've said before, I've been really happy with my set that I've had for about a year and half.

Quote:

One question though.. how are the built-in atsc tuners in tv's compared to OTA receivers like the samsung t351/t451? Do some pick up channels better than others, and do the better brands like sony have better built-in ATSC tuners? I have a samsung t351 currently and love it. The only HD I currently watch and probably for the next yr or so till many more channels roll out on DTV is OTA, so a non-flaky tuner is important. Thanks.

I'm not sure on this, to be honest. I'd be interesting to see which tuner they use, LG, ATI, etc. If I had to guess, and this is purely a guess, I would say an LG becuase I know philips and LG collaborate on other aspects of the TV, like its tube. The tube inside of my 30pw850h says LG Philips on it.

post #15 of 759 Old 04-28-2005, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

oryan_dunn,

At your store, do you have one out of the box on display? BB's online link is showing that it is silver. Is it black or is it silver? I'll go check out the local Walmart here in San Jose tomorrow (we have 3 very close to each other!).
post #16 of 759 Old 04-28-2005, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by niggenz
oryan_dunn,

At your store, do you have one out of the box on display? BB's online link is showing that it is silver. Is it black or is it silver? I'll go check out the local Walmart here in San Jose tomorrow (we have 3 very close to each other!).

The 9100 that BB sells is silver but has the added DCR slot.
The 9110 that Wal-Mart sells is black.

They probably don't have them out yet. Its a new model and when electronics gets switched around is when they put out the new model. At our store, we don't have a model out on display yet. You'd probably have to as the associate to go check for you, which can be about as hard a willing a boulder to move sometimes.

niggenz, check your pm.

post #17 of 759 Old 04-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks again for all the info/help oryan.. Well, supposedly the LG ota receivers are the best ones, compared to the samsungs, so it's probably a good thing if this tv comes w/ a lg ota tuner.. What makes one OTA tuner better than the other I'm not sure, but I think I read it somewhere that LG's are among the best tuners...

For $668 this set seems like a helluva price. I could give a damn about a DCR slot, so I'll be keeping an eye out next time I swing by walmart. I was looking to replace my gf's tv which has the colors out of wack, and I didn't want to spend too much.. Do you have any idea if these will be available in all Walmarts in stores? They don't have them listed online, and I think this tv would be better than the Sanyo 30" which seems to have some problems. Thanks.
post #18 of 759 Old 04-28-2005, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Mikeoz
Thanks again for all the info/help oryan.. Well, supposedly the LG ota receivers are the best ones, compared to the samsungs, so it's probably a good thing if this tv comes w/ a lg ota tuner.. What makes one OTA tuner better than the other I'm not sure, but I think I read it somewhere that LG's are among the best tuners...

What makes some tuners better than other is the algorithms they use to decode the digital signal and how sensitve they are to things like weak signal and multipath. Supposedly, the 5th gen LG tuner is able to either discard or combine multipath so it doesn't interfere with the main signal. Like I said, this is just a guess that it is an LG tuner.

Quote:

For $668 this set seems like a helluva price. I could give a damn about a DCR slot, so I'll be keeping an eye out next time I swing by walmart. I was looking to replace my gf's tv which has the colors out of wack, and I didn't want to spend too much.. Do you have any idea if these will be available in all Walmarts in stores? They don't have them listed online, and I think this tv would be better than the Sanyo 30" which seems to have some problems. Thanks.

Not sure on if all stores will get it or if other chains will carry it. Since it is a philips and not a walmart specific like sanyo, it seems that other stores could carry it. The only thing I don't like about this set based purely on the specs is that it lacks and analog audio output. This will be more and more of a moot point as more stations go digital.

post #19 of 759 Old 04-29-2005, 10:26 AM

The reason a lot of us don't like philips sets' is a lot of us that ourchased them have had nothing but problems with them, and they have horrible stretch modes for 4:3 material that are pretty much useless.

This is refuring to the 8402 philips models.
post #20 of 759 Old 04-29-2005, 12:43 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Kudos at least to Philips for making an ALL BLACK TV SET in this world of cheap looking silver ! Maybe well see a return to black TVs afterall

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #21 of 759 Old 04-29-2005, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by CrocHunter
The reason a lot of us don't like philips sets' is a lot of us that ourchased them have had nothing but problems with them, and they have horrible stretch modes for 4:3 material that are pretty much useless.

This is refuring to the 8402 philips models.

I'm not saying that these are perfect, but other tv's have problems too. For example, one that sticks out in my mind is the Sony's that had a green blob on the screen. There was a really long thread on this issue. Anyways, the only real problem with mine that I cannot fix is the light vertical bands that will sometimes show up on 480i/p sources on a light grey/blue background. When I got my set, I had thought about returning it, but then I realized in the grand scheme of things, this was a pretty small issue, compared to other problems a tv set could have. With the picture controls set to agree with my AVIA dvd, those vertical lines are almost non-existent, and incredibly faint when I am able to notice them, and then, only when there is a constant horizontal pan in the picture.

Anyways, as far as the stretch modes go, I believe that all philips have the same modes, which are:

4:3 - puts black bars on the sides of a 4:3 image (nothing is stretched or cropped)
zoom 14:9 - puts smaller black bars on the sides and crops a little of the top and bottom (basically zooms the picture in a little)
zoom 16:9 - crops the top and bottom to fit the screen
subtitle 16:9 - basically the same thing as zoom 16:9 but is lowered to emphasize cc text
superwide - crops just a little of the top and bottom and does a non-linear stretch on the picture to make it fill the screen
widescreen - stretches the 4:3 linearly to fill widescreen, or correctly displays anamorphic widescreen material
auto - uses superwide for standard 4:3 signals, but will switch to 16:9 zoom or other zoom to crop black bars off the top and bottom of a letterboxed widescreen image.

with the zoom 14:9, zoom 16:9, subtitle 16:9, superwide, and auto, you can actually move the zoomed image up or down to fit the program you are watching. For example, i use the nudge control to move the superwide up just a notch so the ticker on fox news is completely visible.

I'd like to see a tv that has more options that this for dealing with 4:3 content. On my set, these stretch modes are limited to 480i sources. On the newer sets like the 8402 and most probably the 9100 series, these modes work for 480p sources, important for the gamers out there.

post #22 of 759 Old 04-29-2005, 05:07 PM

Couldn't agree more with you Ryan. My 30pw8502 gets better every day. PQ is spectacular on HD. And the price couldn't be beat. Once I corrected the geometry issues, it became a real keeper. I want to cry whenever I watch my Toshiba , the Philips looks so much better.

I can't figure out the nudge control. Is there a menu option or do you simply use the up/down buttons when in stretch?
post #23 of 759 Old 04-29-2005, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Remember after black comes wood grain, then after that, olive green-brown, then black again, then silver, repeating over and over again.

I watch mostly 1080i or 720p programming, lucky to have great combo of OTA and DNS, for the few 420i programs I do watch, the morning news for example, the 9819's 14-9 format is great. No noticeable distortion, and it just clips off the annoying scroll at the bottom.

I just use the up down buttons for the nudge.

And I'll say it one more time, I got my 9819 for $999 at closeout, on the last night of a sale I didn't know was going on!

RMc---y
post #24 of 759 Old 04-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

I am going to pick up this set as I am in need of a tube TV. I used to own the Sanyo 30" wide. But I got rid of it when I thought that I could pick up the Sony 34" XBR through a Sony employeed discount program. Unfortunately, that fell through. I loved the Sanyo for its value, but it was not without its flaws. One of my big gripes with it was with the snow that was visible on any dark scene. I am hoping that the Phillips unitis better. But if anything, I'll definitely appreciate a black set more than silver.
post #25 of 759 Old 04-29-2005, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Nonnie
Couldn't agree more with you Ryan. My 30pw8502 gets better every day. PQ is spectacular on HD. And the price couldn't be beat. Once I corrected the geometry issues, it became a real keeper. I want to cry whenever I watch my Toshiba , the Philips looks so much better.

I can't figure out the nudge control. Is there a menu option or do you simply use the up/down buttons when in stretch?

Just the up/down arrow keys

post #26 of 759 Old 04-30-2005, 08:51 AM
djs
AVS Special Member

These TVs are now on the Philips website:
http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...ESHQNHKFSEKI5P

(Man, that's some URL!)
post #27 of 759 Old 04-30-2005, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks to djs for pointing out that these sets specs are listed at the Philips website, I created a GearViews section for each one, for easy referencing (pending approval of course).

30PW9110d:
http://gearviews.avsforum.com/showpr...hp?product=312

30PW9100d:
http://gearviews.avsforum.com/showpr...hp?product=313

30PW8420:
http://gearviews.avsforum.com/showpr...hp?product=314

The Philips site doesn't reference the DCR capablities of the 9100d. If the BB site is correct and it does have DCR, I'll add that to the product description.

I've also finally added a review of my Philips to the 850h page:
http://gearviews.avsforum.com/showpr...php?product=28

Hope this helps those looking at these TVs.

ps. yeeaah 800 posts!

post #28 of 759 Old 05-01-2005, 06:26 PM

What would be the better TV?

PHILIPS 30PW8420

or PHILIPS 30PW9100D

I know the latter has the HD tuner, but my cable company offers the HD box free of charge with the digital cable package. I also noticed the the latter choice has the QAM support as well, correct?

Also. the Philips 30PW9100D/37 and 30PW9110D/37 are just the same models, only the color of the TV is the difference?
post #29 of 759 Old 05-01-2005, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tuneintuneout
What would be the better TV?

PHILIPS 30PW8420

or PHILIPS 30PW9100D

I know the latter has the HD tuner, but my cable company offers the HD box free of charge with the digital cable package. I also noticed the the latter choice has the QAM support as well, correct?

Also. the Philips 30PW9100D/37 and 30PW9110D/37 are just the same models, only the color of the TV is the difference?

According to the BB website, the 9100d is cable card ready, meaning you wouldn't need the box from your cable company for encrypted digital channels.

post #30 of 759 Old 05-01-2005, 07:19 PM

How much are they selling for in Walmart? I will have to look or call around tomorrow and see if they are in stock yet. We have 2 super Walmarts in my area. I have noticed however that Sams Club has the Philips 30PW8420 in stock for $598.00.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page