The Official Samsung SlimFit HDTV Thread... - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2843 Old 08-30-2005, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Advantages/disadvantages of both?
Last year I was going to get Samsung's TX-P3075WH 30in CRT HDTV (which is now the next gen TX-R3075WH 30in) but then they came out with the Slimfits and I started thinking about getting one until I heard about the issuses people have with them.

Now, as I said before, I'm almost possitivly going to get Sony's KD-30XS955 30in CRT HDTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2843 Old 08-30-2005, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsnyanks45 View Post

Advantages/disadvantages of both?
Last year I was going to get Samsung's TX-P3075WH 30in CRT HDTV (which is now the next gen TX-R3075WH 30in) but then they came out with the Slimfits and I started thinking about getting one until I heard about the issuses people have with them.

Now, as I said before, I'm almost possitivly going to get Sony's KD-30XS955 30in CRT HDTV

If you have the cash, get the Sony XS955. It has resolution you simply cannot match. However, if you plan to sit relatively far back, say 6ft or more, then get the Samsung TX-P set. That far back the greater resolution will be sacrificed to distance.
post #273 of 2843 Old 08-30-2005, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc View Post

The poster was talking about horizontal resolution, not horizontal lines. This really isn't that hard to grasp, is it?

Hmm, for you, it seems that it's a bit beyond your current understanding.

Can you define a difference between "horizontal resolution" and "horizontal lines"? Do you suppose that "horizontal lines" means a number of horizontal lines that go from left to right across the screen?

Quote:

1,280 lines or "more?" Like I said, this is about horizontal resolution. This means the vertical lines running across the display.

When you come down from your high horse, you'll learn that "horizontal lines" is the term used by video professionals and knowledgeable amateurs to describe the horizontal resolution of a CRT. It's shorthand for "vertically displayed lines measured in the horizontal direction". In the days before color dot masks (and even today), the way you measured horizontal resolution was by putting up a test pattern of vertical bars. The number of bars across the screen that could be seen at the densest pattern was the "horizontal lines" of the display, and equivalent to the horizontal resolution. The term "horizontal lines" is still in use by professionals and other knowledgeable contributors to this very thread.

Quote:

Vertical resolution has to do with horizontal lines running up and down the display.

In your uninformed terminology, yes.

Quote:

COMMERCIAL HD SETS DO NOT HAVE MORE THAN 1,080 LINES OF VERTICAL RESOLUTION.

Sort of. The resolution of the display can be greater than 1080 and still be HD, though there's no need if you're only using it as a TV display.

Quote:

Your measurement technique is flawed.

The mearurement, which was described in detail, was the horizontal distance between vertical stripes. This is a good measurement of horizontal resolution.

Quote:

Try taking this sorry old argument elsewhere.

Arrogance and ignorance know no limits on the internet.

x
post #274 of 2843 Old 08-30-2005, 01:50 PM

Now, now CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #275 of 2843 Old 08-31-2005, 07:06 PM

I just got the 3080. Seems to have only minor geometry problems that I hope I can fix. Picture will require some tweaking, but that's to be expected. Perfect for my use, bedroom, inside a 17 inch deep armoire.

Anybody know how to get reid of the annoying chirp it makes when powering up or down?

Brian
post #276 of 2843 Old 09-01-2005, 06:57 AM

As usual my question was already anwered, thank you bocmir:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocmir View Post

Well, if you don't know already, to get into the service menu: with the set turned off, on the remote press MUTE, 1, 8, 2, POWER. That'll take you to the service menu. The menus you should be concerned with are DEFLECTION, VIDEO ADJUST 1 and VIDEO ADJUST 2.

Video Adjust 1 deals with a few important settings. Only modify CTI_LEVEL, COL_AXIS, LTI_LEVEL and MELODY VOLUME in here. I haven't touched anything else. If you want to get rid of the annoying chimes that play when you turn your TV on or off, changed MELODY VOLUME all the way down to 0. COL_AXIS handles "red push". A setting of 1 (not 0 for some reason) turns it off. This is definitely recommended. CTI_LEVEL and LTI_LEVEL handle enhancement of chrominance and luminance; I turned them both down to 0 for a more natural picture.

post #277 of 2843 Old 09-05-2005, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Which has the overall best picture quality (excluding geometry issues for the moment):

A 1366x768 Samsung LCD or a Samsung CRT HDTV?
post #278 of 2843 Old 09-05-2005, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post

Which has the overall best picture quality (excluding geometry issues for the moment):

A 1366x768 Samsung LCD or a Samsung CRT HDTV?

This is really a matter of personal preference. Here are the facts; you'll have to decide for yourself which is "best":

The LCD will have much better resolution, and an ability to clearly display whatever fine detail is present in the signal.

The CRT will have much better contrast and brightness, and no loss in quality when viewing off axis (i.e., from an angle toward the side).

What many people find, subjectively, is that the LCD's higher resolution goes largely unnoticed. This is due to two factors: (1) the eye doesn't really "care" that much about detail when there's a lot of movement, and (2) there is extremely little content broadcast today that actually has detail at the limits of today's HD spec. I read somewhere that HDTheater video cassettes for JVC D-VHS VCRs are the best HD material available outside the studio, but I haven't seen one to know.

What many people also find is that LCD contrast/brightness in a brightly lit room is not adequate for best viewing, especially off axis.

What all this means is that if you plan to invite some friends over to watch a ball game, you will probably prefer the CRT by a long shot. Its detail will be more than adequate, and the contrast/brightness and off-axis viewing will make it the better choice.

If you like to watch test patterns at night (like I do), by all means, get the LCD :-).

So why to people buy LCDs? Because they're so nice and thin!

x
post #279 of 2843 Old 09-05-2005, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So xgrep, at a viewing distance of 8 feet, would a 30" LCD panel running at 720p still look sharper than a 30" CRT HDTV running at 1080i?
post #280 of 2843 Old 09-06-2005, 10:00 AM

So as not to be missed, I posted some comments on the exchange started by KBI asking when the SlimFit would be available in retail stores. Just my opinions. It's hard to be positive in this day and age, but I just had to do it.
post #281 of 2843 Old 09-08-2005, 03:51 PM

How would you guys compare this slim-fit set to the old TXP Samsungs in terms of PQ? I was thinking about just buying the TXP models, but I was wondering if the new slim-fits had the same or better PQ than the old models. Really, size isn't an issue. Would it be better to get a TXP than a slim-fit? They're cheaper (but not that much cheaper...a few hundred dollars on average depending on where you get it on the internet).
post #282 of 2843 Old 09-08-2005, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeymac18 View Post

How would you guys compare this slim-fit set to the old TXP Samsungs in terms of PQ? I was thinking about just buying the TXP models, but I was wondering if the new slim-fits had the same or better PQ than the old models. Really, size isn't an issue. Would it be better to get a TXP than a slim-fit? They're cheaper (but not that much cheaper...a few hundred dollars on average depending on where you get it on the internet).

I usually don't go with any "rev 1" products from any manufacturer. For that reason I'd wait until Samsung has a couple of revisions out first. The older TXPs are great. I actually have one even a little older, from the TXN series and I just love it.

Watch out buying over the internet. It can be a real hassle if you need to exchange or return it.
post #283 of 2843 Old 09-08-2005, 04:47 PM

yeah, I'd prefer not to buy over the internet...but if I could get my hands on a TXP, and knowning that it'd be cheaper...and if I knew the PQ was better or just as good as the current slim-fit models, I'd highly consider going that route..size is not an issue, so the slim-fits being smaller isn't really a big deal to me...in fact, if there are sacrafices being made, I'd rather just buy the older models that are the similar and cheaper, but not as small. Thanks for your input.
post #284 of 2843 Old 09-13-2005, 06:43 PM

Purchased 3079 slimfit. I have "geometry" issues when in 4:3 mode. When in 16:9 everything is great. When utilizing OTA, tv automatically switches between 16:9 and 4:3 between show/commercials and show/show (some shows 16:9, some 4:3)

1. How do I fix 4:3 geometry issues (have been in service menu to get 16:9 looking correct)?

2. is the switching normal, and can I keep everything in 16:9?

if i can't get it fixed, I will go back and get Sony xs955, but I would really like to fix/keep set if possible.

Thanks
post #285 of 2843 Old 09-14-2005, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost runner View Post

1. How do I fix 4:3 geometry issues (have been in service menu to get 16:9 looking correct)?

While I don't have personal experience calibrating the slimfit, I'm fairly sure you can hire a TV calibration professional to do this. But it could cost a couple hundred $, and that might more than make up for the difference in price of a different model, unless you are very pleased with other aspects of this set (it's wonderful size, for example).

x
post #286 of 2843 Old 09-14-2005, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Purchased 3079 slimfit. I have "geometry" issues when in 4:3 mode. When in 16:9 everything is great. When utilizing OTA, tv automatically switches between 16:9 and 4:3 between show/commercials and show/show (some shows 16:9, some 4:3)

2. is the switching normal, and can I keep everything in 16:9?

if i can't get it fixed, I will go back and get Sony xs955, but I would really like to fix/keep set if possible.

Thanks

The switching is normal. While watching Monday Night Football you'll see the game in 16:9, and the commercials (usually) in 4:3. Then, the very next show might be 4:3. I even saw some transmission problems during the game Monday night where the picture was arbitrarily switching between 16:9 and 4:3.

What, specifically, are the geometry problems you're seeing?

Before trying anything yourself, call your reseller and have them come out and fix the problem.
post #287 of 2843 Old 09-14-2005, 08:54 AM

Quote:

The switching is normal. While watching Monday Night Football you'll see the game in 16:9, and the commercials (usually) in 4:3. Then, the very next show might be 4:3. I even saw some transmission problems during the game Monday night where the picture was arbitrarily switching between 16:9 and 4:3.

What, specifically, are the geometry problems you're seeing?

Before trying anything yourself, call your reseller and have them come out and fix the problem.

Thanks xpgreg and justsc.

This may be a dumb question, but I assume they there is not a one-size fits all group of service menu settings?

I may just take it back, and get the sure thing Sony. but I do like the style..................
post #288 of 2843 Old 09-14-2005, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks xpgreg and justsc.

This may be a dumb question, but I assume they there is not a one-size fits all group of service menu settings?

I may just take it back, and get the sure thing Sony. but I do like the style..................

One size fits all? It's been a long time since I've been inside the Samsung SM. I seem to remember that geometry issues were handled through the individual "Offsets" (e.g. 1080 Offset, 480p Offset, etc). The Video Adjust (1 through whatever) where for system-wide settings like gamma, VSM, etc.

You seem hesitant to place a trouble call. True? Your satisfaction is their responsibility, not yours.

Maybe I'm just lazy, but I'd rather have them fix it in my home than lug my 200lb tv back to CC for an exchange.

Best of Luck with whichever road you choose!
post #289 of 2843 Old 09-14-2005, 05:21 PM

The deflection pcb has been updated so supposedly the geometry issue has been improved. This should be covered under warranty so I would like to get anyone's feedback who has had this board replaced and if it has helped.
post #290 of 2843 Old 09-18-2005, 11:09 PM

Liked: 18
Since ima n00b here, let me first say hello

Ok well i bought this TV a lil over a week ago and everything seems fine. I had read everyones comments & point of views but still went for it. My Samsung HDTV crapped out on me after 4yrs, so this TV seemed logical b/c i love Sammy's pic quality & the look & price is awesome. Anyways My problem comes when i play Xbox,PS2 or GC games via component cables. During scenes where the picture goes black, im seeing white shadows the size of the screen vertically on both the right & left hand side of the screen. They're about 2-3 wide and maybe an inch away from the right & left edges of the TV. As soon as the screen goes back & playing the games it seems to disappear. Now i dont have these white shadows while watching TV in regular or Hi-Def viewing. Even while watching DVD's which i have connected thru S-Video i dont see the shadows. Its only the games!

Ok heres where my problem probably lies but i'd rather have an 'expert' opinion first. The 3 systems are connected through a $20 Phillips component switch i bought from Wal-Mart. Also maybe im freaking out prematurely b/c i have yet to try plugging 1 of the systems through the TV components. My TV repair man came & took a look @ it and said there was another customer with the same TV who had the same shadows while playing video games but he was using a different component switcher that had a power plug. My TV repair man went on to say he thinks its the video games?

Sorry for such a long post my first time but can anyone give me any ideas or suggestions? Anything with the service menu maybe? Thanks
post #291 of 2843 Old 09-19-2005, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post

The deflection pcb has been updated so supposedly the geometry issue has been improved. This should be covered under warranty so I would like to get anyone's feedback who has had this board replaced and if it has helped.

*bump*
post #292 of 2843 Old 09-19-2005, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

Also maybe im freaking out prematurely b/c i have yet to try plugging 1 of the systems through the TV components.

Sorry for such a long post my first time but can anyone give me any ideas or suggestions? Anything with the service menu maybe? Thanks

Try that first to eliminate the switch.
post #293 of 2843 Old 09-19-2005, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the reply. Ok i plugged the component cables into the TV and its still the same. Maybe not as bad but i can still see it. And its even worse while using the PS2. Its only on the right hand side though. Im wondering if it could be my Aiwa stereo which is on a stand to the right side of the TV(maybe 1ft away) causing some kind of magnetic problem? I have the speakers to the radio on the left & right of the TV on the floor also. If its not that then possibly its the Mad Catz component cables i bought? Does Monster cables really make a difference? Im @ loss on what to do here b/c everything else with this TV is perfect! No sign of these shadows watching TV even when black bars are present or watching DVDs.
post #294 of 2843 Old 09-19-2005, 08:50 PM

For whatever reason, i think i've 'fixed' the problem. In the SM my CXA Left was 28 and the CXA Right was 20. I set the CXA Right to 23* and the shadow went away. Doesnt seem to have an effect on my viewing of TV or anything, so i guess it worked.

Quick question though...What exactly is the setting i changed? lol
post #295 of 2843 Old 09-21-2005, 07:28 PM

So I messed around with the deflection settings for this tv a little to much not realizing that the reset option didn't reset everything:/ I have been looking everywhere for the defaults and I haven't been able to find them, so I was wondering if anyone had this tv if youcould you please please please post them for me it would be greatly appreciated. It's not that I can't get the tv looking normal but I havent been able to get it exactly right and I figured if anyone could help me it would be the people on here. Thanks again!:P
post #296 of 2843 Old 09-24-2005, 01:01 PM

Welome to the club. I did the same thing. Took me 6 hours and a fifth of Stoli to get it looking good. Good luck! Might want to try something other than Stoli :-)
post #297 of 2843 Old 09-26-2005, 10:14 AM

I just bought the service manual online for the TX-R3079WH (30" Slimfit with wide speakers). If you need it to adjust geometry email me. I found there are many setting that should be "fixed" not adjusted. The other one posted on a previous page is not for this TV. Found out the hard way. Not an S62 chassis. Its a K62A chassis.

Jim
post #298 of 2843 Old 09-26-2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMYJAMMA View Post

I just bought the service manual online for the TX-R3079WH (30" Slimfit with wide speakers). If you need it to adjust geometry email me. I found there are many setting that should be "fixed" not adjusted. The other one posted on a previous page is not for this TV. Found out the hard way. Not an S62 chassis. Its a K62A chassis.

Jim

How can I get the manual? Im stuck trying to fix the Geometry issues...
post #299 of 2843 Old 09-27-2005, 07:38 AM

I used the pdf linked by vagabond to learn what some of the service menu geometry type settings do and also found justsc's post on page 6 to be rather helpful.

I believe the values in the service menu at start are set at the factory on an individual set basis - so seriously write them down. Out of the box my screen was noticiably off center by about 1/2 an inch to the bottom (and slightly to the left), so zoom1 would show a small black bar at the top of screen. I was able to correct that and I also tinkered a bit to slightly improve the geometry. I think that a noticable amount of geometry distortion must be inherent to this design, but it doesn't bother me at this point - Especially since I was able to access the service menu and tweak it.

I hadn't well researched this TV beforehand, and I wish I had... BUT for the money, its looks, and its size - that 1/3 reduction really can make a big difference in placement and access to connections on the back of a TV - I am happy with this set. Other than the slightly noticable distortion, the picture looks great and it's far and away the nicest set I've owned. Unless there's another goodlooking slim ws tube tv in this price range, I'd buy it again. I do find it inexcuseable, however, that samsung would have such quality control and calibration issues - I'm well aware that I shouldn't have to go into the service menu to make improvements on a new set.

This forum won't let me post links until I've made 5 posts
post #300 of 2843 Old 09-28-2005, 08:13 PM

Went to Crutchfields website and got better details about the newly designed slimfit. It appears that other than the design of the new slimfit samsung has added a 3d digital comb filter to help the PQ ( the haze on a NFL referees jersey). As a side note I have worked at a Best Buy for about 2 years now and I have never heard of the geometry problems. However I am sure they are their now that i have read this forum. Unfortunately the BB i work at is in Louisiana and our Samsung was a victim to some hurricane katrina debris so I havent been able to see it for myself.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page