Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2843 Old 10-31-2005, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparco View Post

It seems that most people eventually get a Sony.. I wonder if that's what I'll end up doing.

Does anyone else have an opinion on the Samsung TXR3080WH?

We have one in our store here and it looks fine. We havent' had the Geometry issues. I know the new one has all the fixes too. I actually like the design a bit better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2843 Old 11-01-2005, 05:47 PM

hi! i'm new to the forums. i'm thinking of getting one of these slimfit tv's for our living room and the only model available here in manila is the samsung WS-32Z30HE. do you guys think this model will have the same problems as those units available in the US?
post #363 of 2843 Old 11-01-2005, 09:46 PM

Quote:

I went to Tweeter again today and really liked the picture on the TXR3080WH. The problem was there was obvious bowing going on at the bottom of the screen.

i saw this once, after a long examination.

went again yesterday to CC and could not find any issues with dvd music videos or a dvd movie playing thru component. i wonder if some TV's have it and some not? or is it something that is not there all the time

overall the PQ is ok. about the same for all the CRT's. 3 1/2 - 4 stars depending. Robots looked so-so while Driven looked pretty good.

this Tv is officially on my "good enough" list and priced thousands less
post #364 of 2843 Old 11-02-2005, 02:24 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

It seems that most people eventually get a Sony.. I wonder if that's what I'll end up doing.

Yep. I got the 30" slimfit, because of the size issue. Looked great in the store. Looked like crap at home. The everpresent bowing was a problem, and SD was unwatchably horrible.

Returned it literally hours later for a Sony 30xs955 (I know - not really a competitor, as it is a significant step up) and I could not be happier. Amazing PQ all around.

Of course, the Sony is a monster, so I had to buy an extra plant or two to disguise it!

I just took my VT60 out of the box and started watching it. Is that ok?
post #365 of 2843 Old 11-02-2005, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCriss View Post

Yep. I got the 30" slimfit, because of the size issue. Looked great in the store. Looked like crap at home. The everpresent bowing was a problem, and SD was unwatchably horrible.

Returned it literally hours later for a Sony 30xs955 (I know - not really a competitor, as it is a significant step up) and I could not be happier. Amazing PQ all around.

Of course, the Sony is a monster, so I had to buy an extra plant or two to disguise it!

They still sell the XS955's in stores? Where was this, Caldor?
post #366 of 2843 Old 11-03-2005, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. Eagle View Post

They still sell the XS955's in stores? Where was this, Caldor?

The XS955s are available from many resellers. For some reason BB decided to close them out, but that's not because of any such direction from Sony. I was just at Fry's here locally last week and there were lots of these available.

Caldor? Wow! I used to live in Woodstock, NY and there was a Caldor in Kingston. This chain is still going?
post #367 of 2843 Old 11-03-2005, 01:59 PM

Just an FYI the SLimfit is available from ABC wharehouse (if you have those in your location) supposedly it ahs or will be dropping to 899 on sale and normally you can get them to drop another $100 off the price.

This is in reference to the Slimfit 3080 (this particular model has the speakers on the bottom giving it a narrower width than the common 3079)

FYI
post #368 of 2843 Old 11-03-2005, 05:31 PM

Add me to the list of people with geometry and fuzzy blotch problems with the SlimFit. Do not buy this TV - at least not at Tweeter. I bought the "80" version in late August and immediately notice geometry problems and a yellowish blob on the right side of the picture. It took Tweeter 3 weeks to get somebody out to see the TV and then two months to get me a replacement. You'd think Tweeter would have the decency to deliver a replacement for a defective TV to my home but no - they made me lug my first unit into the store. They then tried to pawn off a TV in a previously opened box. Fortunately, I made them take the TV out and try it in the store - it had the same problems as the first unit. I asked for a refund and after trying to push me to other options and putting up a fuss Tweeter finally gave me my money back. That's the last time I step into their store!
post #369 of 2843 Old 11-05-2005, 10:10 AM

Have you seen the latest consumer reports december issue, samsung slimfit got poor reviews. Sony crt took top honors once again. Don't know why such a big blob about slimfit, it sucks from day one i saw it .
post #370 of 2843 Old 11-05-2005, 11:02 AM

I heard the geometry issue with this set can mostly be corrected via the service menu. Anyone with this TV that has eliminated most if not all of the bow effect along the bottom of the TV mind posting their service menu settings? Thanks in advance for any help one can give me.
post #371 of 2843 Old 11-05-2005, 03:34 PM

I waited about 6 months to get a slimfit. Just when I made up my mind to get the 3079, but 3080 came out. I was going to go to a retailer today and pick up the 3080 model. For some reason, I just went on the Samsung website and there is a newer model of the slimfit: the 3081. I called customer service to find out what is the difference between the 3080 and the 3081. He couldnt find anything, but I was told that the 3081 is going to be released between now and January 1st. I also did a google search, couldnt come up with anything on the 3081.

I can't understand why Samsung would put out another model that is not some type of upgrade of the previous models. It seems like a waste of time and money. Hopefully this model corrects some of the "bowing" issues that was with the 3079 and the 3080.

Does anyone have any info on the txr3081wh? Thanks.
post #372 of 2843 Old 11-05-2005, 04:23 PM

If you have read the latest consumer reports dec. issue slimfit is just a major disappointment. Why are you considering buying a slimfit, while the prices of lcd are going down.
post #373 of 2843 Old 11-05-2005, 04:45 PM

Other than that slight bow on the bottom (which I read here in this thread can be eliminated) this TV set is operating nicely. DVD's look sharp. Video games look sharp. It handles SD extremely well which is a big plus in my book. I'm fiddling with the service menu but I cannot get the bow right. I'm hoping someone who has this set can help. At only 850-900 dollars, even with the slight bow the size, picture, and features make this a bargain.
post #374 of 2843 Old 11-05-2005, 07:05 PM

I'm having a problem with my Samsung 3079wh I'd like to throw out to see if anyone has been able to fix it or had it repaired by a service technician. On the right side of the screen, I notice alternating, blurry stripes of green, blue, and red. They are most noticeable against black backgrounds (for instance, space scenes in Star Wars episode III). These only appear when watching HDTV or DVD's in 16:9, zoom1, and zoom2 modes. They are not present in panoramic and 4:3 modes. I have unplugged the TV to degauss it several times. Sometimes they disappear completely, sometimes they lessen in intensity. If they do disappear it seems they come back if I switch between components/antenna signals or turn the TV off and on. I have removed all possible magnetic sources away from the set but his does not seem to affect them. These were not there when we first got the TV . . .

Any advice, service menu settings, etc? Should I just call Samsung and have someone come out? Thanks in advance!
post #375 of 2843 Old 11-05-2005, 07:26 PM

I think the problem you are describing is like that one I had, but mine occurred at the top of the screen. I adjusted the V-Shift in the service menu and it went away. Try changing your H-Shift and see if that works. Be sure to right down your original setting before you do this.
post #376 of 2843 Old 11-05-2005, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkat88 View Post

I waited about 6 months to get a slimfit. Just when I made up my mind to get the 3079, but 3080 came out. I was going to go to a retailer today and pick up the 3080 model. For some reason, I just went on the Samsung website and there is a newer model of the slimfit: the 3081. I called customer service to find out what is the difference between the 3080 and the 3081. He couldnt find anything, but I was told that the 3081 is going to be released between now and January 1st. I also did a google search, couldnt come up with anything on the 3081.

I can't understand why Samsung would put out another model that is not some type of upgrade of the previous models. It seems like a waste of time and money. Hopefully this model corrects some of the "bowing" issues that was with the 3079 and the 3080.

Does anyone have any info on the txr3081wh? Thanks.

Thought it was just a different bezel, but on further inspection, the 3081 doesn't have any inputs on the side, whereas the 3080 does. Same size, same weight. Please post if you find out anything else different.
post #377 of 2843 Old 11-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/n...2fSlimFit+HDTV

According to the specs, the 3081 does have side inputs. They must be on the opposite side as they aren't visible in the picture. The cabinet looks totally different from the 3080.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #378 of 2843 Old 11-06-2005, 11:01 PM

Has anybody seen the 3080 model in the San Francisco bay area? I can only find the 3079, which is too wide for my cabinet. The 3080 seems to be available in other parts of the US, but no dealer here has been able to tell me anything about availability.
post #379 of 2843 Old 11-07-2005, 06:08 PM

I just purchased the TX-R3079WH today from PC Richard in NY for $750 total with tax and everything... although reading this thread leaves me a little worried. but that was my absolute total limit on spending as i want this tv in my bedroom for when i purchase an xbox 360 later this month... i cant afford a few more hundred bucks for the Sony (which doesn't even include the HDTV tuner, which was a big selling point for me).

has anyone had any problems playing video games on this in HD? the TV doesn't come in until wednesday, so i cant test out my regular xbox with component out until then
post #380 of 2843 Old 11-08-2005, 02:50 AM

Hello everyone,
I'm from Europe and i have samsung ws 32z316 slimfit tv. This is not a digital HD tv but it looks the same (speakers on the bottom of tv). I also have geometry problems and i try to fix them in service menu.
I turned tv off first, but pressing /MUTE/1,8,2/POWER/ DOESN'T WORK ON THIS MODEL
Please, does anyone know how to enter service menu on this model!?
Thanks in advance
post #381 of 2843 Old 11-08-2005, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyZ View Post

I just purchased the TX-R3079WH today from PC Richard in NY for $750 total with tax and everything... although reading this thread leaves me a little worried. but that was my absolute total limit on spending as i want this tv in my bedroom for when i purchase an xbox 360 later this month... i cant afford a few more hundred bucks for the Sony (which doesn't even include the HDTV tuner, which was a big selling point for me).

has anyone had any problems playing video games on this in HD? the TV doesn't come in until wednesday, so i cant test out my regular xbox with component out until then

Hi Jon,

I got my SlimFit this past Saturday. Like the others, I do have the bow in the bottom center of the screen. I purchased the TV for the same reasons as you. I played Star Wars EpII, Blade 2, and Lord of the Rings on the DVD via the Xbox and then I tried Halo 2 and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. The TV displays an excellent picture. The only time you will have a problem is when you play a game that has a HUD or text on the bottom center of the screen if your TV has the geometry problem.

I think other than the bow this TV is great. Earlier in this thread I read that the geometry problems can be fixed via an Avia discs and the service menu. My Avia disc comes in tomorrow so I'll try that and let you know how it goes. I also placed a service call with Samsung and a local TV repair facility will call me in a couple of days. In the meantime I'll try the calibration.

You may be fortunate and get a TV that has no geometry problems. My opinion is to take delivery of the TV and if the problems bother you and you cannot fix them, exchange it or ask for refund.

Hope this helps.

-C
post #382 of 2843 Old 11-08-2005, 03:05 PM

My first post, but been lurking for a while. Very informative site, as I am looking to purchase my first HDTV. Anyway, according to Samsung's website, it looks as though the 3081 may not only accept, but actually display 720p! For me, this changes everything. I was all set to buy a direct view HDTV (cheaper and better picture quality) until I saw the LCD prices coming down from the stratosphere to something I could actually afford. So I was going to go the 32" LCD route (I have a small space, and 37" is probably the largest that would make sense for me). But if the new Slimfit 3081 displays 720p, then wouldn't this be the best of both worlds? What do you think?
post #383 of 2843 Old 11-08-2005, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpapi View Post

My first post, but been lurking for a while. Very informative site, as I am looking to purchase my first HDTV. Anyway, according to Samsung's website, it looks as though the 3081 may not only accept, but actually display 720p! For me, this changes everything. I was all set to buy a direct view HDTV (cheaper and better picture quality) until I saw the LCD prices coming down from the stratosphere to something I could actually afford. So I was going to go the 32" LCD route (I have a small space, and 37" is probably the largest that would make sense for me). But if the new Slimfit 3081 displays 720p, then wouldn't this be the best of both worlds? What do you think?

Unfortunately, the Samsung Data Sheets online remain innacurate in this area. Even though it indicates Display Format 1080i/480p/720p, the set only displays 1080i & 480p.
post #384 of 2843 Old 11-08-2005, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono617 View Post

Hi Jon,

I got my SlimFit this past Saturday. Like the others, I do have the bow in the bottom center of the screen....

I think other than the bow this TV is great. Earlier in this thread I read that the geometry problems can be fixed via an Avia discs and the service menu. My Avia disc comes in tomorrow so I'll try that and let you know how it goes. I also placed a service call with Samsung and a local TV repair facility will call me in a couple of days. In the meantime I'll try the calibration.

You may be fortunate and get a TV that has no geometry problems. My opinion is to take delivery of the TV and if the problems bother you and you cannot fix them, exchange it or ask for refund..-C

I have an older 27" set from Samsung and the history of the "bow" goes way, way back. It is mostly adjustable through the SM with H SIZ and H LIN and by adjusting overscan. Your calibration disk can help with these adjustments.

Try to do the best you can before deciding to return the set, because these Samsung sets have picture qualities that really grow on you.
post #385 of 2843 Old 11-08-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc View Post

I have an older 27" set from Samsung and the history of the "bow" goes way, way back. It is mostly adjustable through the SM with H SIZ and H LIN and by adjusting overscan. Your calibration disk can help with these adjustments.

Try to do the best you can before deciding to return the set, because these Samsung sets have picture qualities that really grow on you.

Hi Justsc,

When you say "mostly" can it get to the point where you'll hardly even notice it is there anymore?

I was stupid and decided to play with the Service Menu with the calibration disc. Luckily I wrote down most of the default settings but I forgot to write down 2 of em (bow and h-tra). I'm hoping I can fix everything using that disc.
post #386 of 2843 Old 11-09-2005, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono617 View Post

Hi Justsc,

When you say "mostly" can it get to the point where you'll hardly even notice it is there anymore?

I was stupid and decided to play with the Service Menu with the calibration disc. Luckily I wrote down most of the default settings but I forgot to write down 2 of em (bow and h-tra). I'm hoping I can fix everything using that disc.

Crono617,

I was never able to "fully" get rid of the bow. By adjusting for overscan the bow can be eliminated but then other anomalies arise. You need at least 2-3% overscan. Frankly, I have learned to live with the little bit of bowing I have left. The overall PQ is so good that I'm willing to forget about the bow. And I am extremely PQ obsessed. I work at NASA in Flight Simulation and our out-the-window displays have to be "dead to rights" right on 100%. I take that obsession home with me when it comes to my home theater. But, even with that, I was able to forgive the bowing because the set is so nice.

I'm sorry about your SM experience. I know how easy it is, in the midst of battle, to forget to record one or two default settings. You get so focused on what you're doing that it's easy to forget. Good Luck with that.

Most of all - Enjoy!
post #387 of 2843 Old 11-10-2005, 12:00 PM

Does anyone know if the Samsung Slimfit is subject to burn-in issues and how likely it would be for something to burn into the screen?
post #388 of 2843 Old 11-10-2005, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1981 View Post

Does anyone know if the Samsung Slimfit is subject to burn-in issues and how likely it would be for something to burn into the screen?

Yes. All crt televisions are subject to burn-in.

Driving the tv in "torch mode," meaning contrast way up and the picture mode in Vivid (Sony moniker) or it's equivalent.

For the Samsung, try to use the "Custom" picture mode and keep Contrast at no more that say 35.

Watching SD material with bars on the sides, hour after hour, can also cause burn-in. Any image left static on the screen too long can burn-in. If you watch lots of SD, use one of the stretch modes as much as possible.
post #389 of 2843 Old 11-12-2005, 08:11 PM

Just got the slimfit 3080, so far so good. DVD's and xbox look great, directv seems to vary from channel to channel, looks best about 10-12 feet away. I browsed the service menu options and noticed that the setting for 3D-Comb was 0 which I'm guessing means off, so is this supposed to be on? I didn't really notice much difference either way, so I'm just asking around for some advice on the matter, thanks.
post #390 of 2843 Old 11-12-2005, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_Mc View Post

Just got the slimfit 3080, so far so good. DVD's and xbox look great, directv seems to vary from channel to channel, looks best about 10-12 feet away. I browsed the service menu options and noticed that the setting for 3D-Comb was 0 which I'm guessing means off, so is this supposed to be on? I didn't really notice much difference either way, so I'm just asking around for some advice on the matter, thanks.

What input was in use and what kind of signal was being input when you entered the SM. The 3D Comb Filter is for SD analog signals. If you entered the SM while watching from a digital input then the filter is supposed to be off. This would also hold true if watching a DVD connected via Component Cables. Again, it should only be set to on with an analog input (e.g. analog cable or antenna, composite or S Video). Many, many SM settings are input dependent.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page