The Official Samsung SlimFit HDTV Thread... - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2843 Old 12-14-2005, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The replacement for my broken-in-shipping 3080 arrived!

Initial impressions -

no "speed-bump" geometry problem when viewing tickers
some non-linearity viewing 4:3 SD material (pillar edge not straight).

DTV tuner does a good job handling some really crappy OTA signals
(I'm on the wrong side of a hill - lot's of analog multipath ghosting)

Now to start tweaking things in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2843 Old 12-14-2005, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderveloce View Post

...I do have a question though. coming from a 32 inch 4:3 Zenith that has lost a lot of color in the last 10 years, what is the relative size of the 4:3 picture. Is it equivalent to a 27" or even smaller? Anyone have a tape measure handy?

The 4:3 picture on a 30" WS is around 25".

Quote:
My only gripe from the reading I've done so far is the fact that not all audio sources can be input and pass through to the TVs outputs. I personally don't want to have to pick up three different remotes just to watch a DVD (switch receiver to DVD inputs, switch TV to DVD input, Use DVD remote to play movie (no my DVD player isn't supported by the "universal" remote)). There's no way my wife, child, or In-Laws will figure it out without several minutes of tutoring. I'll end that rant right there cuz it applies to nearly every home theatre system. I think I'll just get a Harmony and be done with that.

I have a super Harmony remote that can do this job easily. I recommend you go ahead with your idea to get one.
post #453 of 2843 Old 12-14-2005, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstat88 View Post

I plan on getting ps3, and im looking into purchasing a new HDTV. Would it work if i ran a HDMI cable from the ps3 to the tv then ran an optical cable from the tv to my sound system (would the dolby digital / DTS 5.1 go through to my sound system)? Thanks

If the PS3 supports HDMI, than that shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding the audio - why not run the audio directly from the PS3 to the sound system?
post #454 of 2843 Old 12-14-2005, 08:58 PM

because my sound system has only one optical in, and i didnt wanna buy a optical splitter. If i could only have this optical from the tv, which also carries the ps3 sound go to the system that would avoid this. (and yes, ps3 supports HDMI output - in fact it has TWO HDMI outputs lol).
post #455 of 2843 Old 12-15-2005, 05:29 AM

About the audio inputs and outputs, what outputs do specific inputs pass through? If I'm plugging in my DVD player via Component Video, does the audio from that input pass through to the standard audio outs or the digital/optical audio out or both or neither?

Composite Audio 1 Input - ? Output
Composite Audio 2 Input - ? Output
Composite Audio 3 Input - ? Output
Component Audio 1 Input - ? Output
Component Audio 2 Input - ? Output

I'm sure this would be useful info for anyone who is purchasing or already owns this TV. It's surprises like this that aren't aparrent until you try to hook it up that cause most Home Theater related injuries (fist through screen, cable strangulation, etc.)
post #456 of 2843 Old 12-15-2005, 07:19 AM

I didn't think you could pass out the audio from component on this group. I have my dvd and home theater in 1 unit and so I don't pass the DVD audio to the TV.

I did get a chance to finally watch a movie on this set. In 16:9 mode with a dvd, there is severe overdrive and color changes that happen on the right had side of the set, much like a speaker is too close to the screen. I hadn't noticed it before, and I did do the deguassing thing to no avail. I will try the service mode when I get home this evening and see if I can get it cleared up. I've never had a set that required "tweaking" out of the box.
post #457 of 2843 Old 12-15-2005, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfettered View Post

....I hadn't noticed it before, and I did do the deguassing thing to no avail. I will try the service mode when I get home this evening and see if I can get it cleared up. I've never had a set that required "tweaking" out of the box.

Anyone ever confirm that there actually is a degaussing coil in these slim-fit TVs? Most TVs that I've seen unless they were actual studio monitors didn't have the coil in them. I've been out of the loop for only a few years but it was long enough to fall behind on video tech.
post #458 of 2843 Old 12-15-2005, 10:53 AM

There may or may not be. I just read previously in this thread where a Samsung tech told someone to unplug it for a bit and plug it back in. Unit fired up just like the old PC monitors that deguase themselves when you first apply the power.
post #459 of 2843 Old 12-15-2005, 04:50 PM

re:degaussing - yes, it has one (I saw it when tech opened up my first [broken] 3080), and it seems to trigger on power-on after being off for "some time" (not sure how long)... and it's quite noisy on my set (brrannng)

re: sound handling - just discovered that audio1 input is active on my 3080 when using Oppo dvi->hdmi source, as well as when using svideo1 source

Also just discovered while calibrating with Avia that "Sharpness" control has no effect when using the hdmi input (and ota dtv?? need to test that)...

which is why I decided to temporarily connect the Oppo via svideo1/audio1, so I could adjust sharpness setting (for analog tv) and A/B the difference, and noticed I still had sound coming from the tv speakers when I A/B'd Oppo between HDMI and svideo1 source.

BTW, FWIW and FYI, Audio out jacks are also active when watching ota dtv, but I don't know if it's a prologic downmix.
post #460 of 2843 Old 12-16-2005, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plughplover View Post

...which is why I decided to temporarily connect the Oppo via svideo1/audio1, so I could adjust sharpness setting (for analog tv) and A/B the difference, and noticed I still had sound coming from the tv speakers when I A/B'd Oppo between HDMI and svideo1 source.

BTW, FWIW and FYI, Audio out jacks are also active when watching ota dtv, but I don't know if it's a prologic downmix.

Good to know about the degaussing. I haven't gotten into a TV for about 6 years since I worked as a TV station engineer. I'm a bit outta the loop on newer sets.

As for the audio... I'm particularly interested in knowing about the component inputs and if they will output to the standard audio outs or to the optical at all. My DVD player has component video that I would prefer to use over the composite. From what I've read on here and elsewhere it seems as if the component audio inputs definately don't output to the standard L/R audio outs but what about the optical? Anyone ever try it? I have an old Pioneer Premier THX receiver that has been on pretty much constantly for nearly 8 years. Rather than turn it off I have simply muted it whenever not in use. I feel that it needs a break so I was hoping to have the option of using it only when a particular movie or show warrants it, opting for the built in speakers most of the time. My 2 year old does not need to watch Dora The Explorer in full on dolby surround or THX.
post #461 of 2843 Old 12-16-2005, 05:41 AM

I got one of these TV's yesterday Samsung WS32Z306VB

No problems at all very pleased with it myself

Just wondered whats the best way to clean the screen?
post #462 of 2843 Old 12-16-2005, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3mical View Post

I got one of these TV's yesterday Samsung WS32Z306VB

No problems at all very pleased with it myself

Just wondered whats the best way to clean the screen?

I would simply use a lint free cloth with a non-amonia spray cleaner like windex. If you are really anal use a bottle of spray lens cleaner that you can pick up at any lens crafters or pearl vision store. Never use a dry cloth and avoid using paper towels as they are a paper product and can scratch the glass minutely.

Soft, lint free cloth and a spray on screen/lens cleaner is what I use on my TVs. For really sticky messes (dried grape jelly from little fingers, or sticker residue) if lens cleaner and windex wont do the job try some goo gone on the cloth and slowly rub it in circles over the "stuff" till its gone, then polish it off with the lens cleaner to get rid of the cloudy residue from the goo gone. Hope that helps.
post #463 of 2843 Old 12-17-2005, 02:41 PM

Quote:

with a non-amonia spray cleaner like windex. .

Isn't Windex brand an amonia based spray?
post #464 of 2843 Old 12-17-2005, 07:04 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Don't use windex or use a paper towel to clean your display.. Use a non abrassive clothe sprinkled with water.. then rub the screen gently..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #465 of 2843 Old 12-17-2005, 11:02 PM

Do any of you know how to reset this TV back to its factory default?
post #466 of 2843 Old 12-18-2005, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero998 View Post

Do any of you know how to reset this TV back to its factory default?

Ctrl Alt Delete.

Sorry I really dont know
You could check through out this thread tho
post #467 of 2843 Old 12-18-2005, 07:41 AM

Quote:

As for the audio... I'm particularly interested in knowing about the component inputs and if they will output to the standard audio outs or to the optical at all.

Just tried the component inputs on my 3080...
Their audio does not get routed to the analog or digital audio outputs.
post #468 of 2843 Old 12-18-2005, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plughplover View Post

Just tried the component inputs on my 3080...
Their audio does not get routed to the analog or digital audio outputs.

I'm hearing more and more of this, and it's really disconcerting.

Would you be so kind as to provide a detailed explanation of your set-up, what you've done and what you'd like to be able to do?

I want to look into this more closely, if you don't mind.
post #469 of 2843 Old 12-23-2005, 01:27 PM

As far as the audio setup goes, I've found my answer to that. I've run pass through RCA audio cables for the DVD player. The plugs have the wires coming out the sides of the plug housing with an extra RCA jack on the end of the plug. All it's doing is splitting the audio signal so I can turn on my THX receiver if I want to use it. I got a Harmony 520 remote but have yet to use it as it is definately a christmas gift. Check it out at Sears for $75 right now (ends 12/24)

Since I've set up my TV I have noticed a few things:

1. Geometry issues are there but barely noticeable. I am unable to fix this with the service menu so far. I have tried several of the settings that were reccommended but none seem to affect the bowing at the bottom of the screen. It's not that noticeable until I turn on a music station on the satellite that has the black screen and a light colored ticker at the bottom.

2. I've ntice a random kind of picture reset happenning once in a while. The picture shrinks and goes fuzzy for half a second. It doesn't seem to matter what input I'm on or if it's HD or SD or even what aspect ratio it's set to but it does it completely randomly it seems. It might do it twice in 10 minutes then not for another hour. It doesn't coincide with any scene changes or anything of that type.

I might try a few things to see if there's any improvement. I just bought a few chokes and inline filters and an FM trap. My reception is pretty good but I get some issues with certain stations that have near perfect signal strength but gap out on me quite often. Any other suggestions.
post #470 of 2843 Old 12-23-2005, 02:38 PM

I was wondering how good the Samsung 30" (TXR3079WH) is? I have been looking at this TV for some time now.
post #471 of 2843 Old 12-23-2005, 08:34 PM

after looking over my options, i have finally decided to buy this tv (the fact that it was slimfit won it over for me) over any other 30" hd widescreen tube. I dont really notice any bowing on my set, it does everything i wanted it to do great, and i cant recommend it enough based off of what ive seen.
post #472 of 2843 Old 12-25-2005, 11:49 AM

[Slimfit TV connect to PC]

I just bought 3080WH. But it has a problem... no pc input

I have a laptop and I think s-video is only way for connecting my laptop and TV.

Somebody told with s-video, picture would not be good. And other in my country recommends me to try "d-sub (= pc monitor) to components transcoder".

Also I am thinking that I might be able to buy a desktop pc.... but I still don't know if it could give any benefit for better picture in slimfit TV.

So, I am asking to you guys. How can I solve this connecting problems?

[[ I just found that some of ati graphic cards have component output. I guess I should have a computer with this.]]
post #473 of 2843 Old 12-25-2005, 02:06 PM

if you have a dvi output (someone please correct me if im wrong - i want to do this too and i want to make sure it will work) on your laptop or computer, you can either get a dvi to HDMI cable to go to your tv, or you can get a dvi to component adapter made by ati (if you have an ati card) and use regular component cables to go from the computer to the tv. From what i can understand you'll be able to get a much better resolution than from s-video or composite cables. I have a question tho - how does progressive scan work if you're using a laptop as a dvd player and outputting it to the 3079 (or 3080) via the dvi component adapter and component cables? Is anything technical involved or when you just play the dvd will it work automatically? Thanks
post #474 of 2843 Old 12-25-2005, 02:08 PM

Ok I have narrowed it down to these two TVs. The Samsung 27" (TX-R2779) HDTV and the Samsung 30" (TXR3079WH) HDTV. I will buying one of these two TVs mainly for my Xbox 360 and watching TV. I know that the 27" is only 4:3 but that doesn't bug me one bit. Then the 30" is does 16:9, but I keep hearing bad things about this TV. So which one would be the better deal.
post #475 of 2843 Old 12-25-2005, 02:23 PM

If you ask me widescreen is a big deal, i kno ps3's games will all be in widescreen and i think xbox360's are too but im not sure. I dont kno about you but i wanna eliminate those black bars as much as possible. Plus, with more hd networks starting to pop up, widescreen is only going to become more popular as time goes on (hd is broadcast in 16:9 if you didnt know).
post #476 of 2843 Old 12-26-2005, 04:29 AM

Im having a bit of a problem here. After holding out for about a year. Im going to get a Slimfit tv. My problem is that I dont know which model to get. I can get the 3080 for about 699 and the 3081 for about 950. I researched these models and I find that they dont have any technical differences.

Does anyone know of the differences between these two models besides the price?

Could it be that the kinks that were in the 3079 and somewhat in the 3080 were worked out in the 3081?
post #477 of 2843 Old 12-26-2005, 12:33 PM

Today I went out and bought the 27" (TXR3079WH) one. I was wondering if anyone has it can share there settings for the TV?
post #478 of 2843 Old 12-26-2005, 05:21 PM

Hi, folks! This is the rear view of Samsung TX-R3080WH taken from a website.
As you can see there are many connectors, which I am not familiar with (nor care about).

If I want to get the best picture and sound quality possible when viewing a DVD and using surround spearkers, which connectors should I be concerned about?
I want to avoid any use of analog connectors if possible. As I am interested in buying this product, I would appreciate if the users of this product inform me the limitations this product has in terms of connectivity between devices.

Thanks in advance.
post #479 of 2843 Old 12-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acelink View Post

Hi, folks! This is the rear view of Samsung TX-R3080WH taken from a website.
As you can see there are many connectors, which I am not familiar with (nor care about).

If I want to get the best picture and sound quality possible when viewing a DVD and using surround spearkers, which connectors should I be concerned about?
I want to avoid any use of analog connectors if possible. As I am interested in buying this product, I would appreciate if the users of this product inform me the limitations this product has in terms of connectivity between devices.

Thanks in advance.

hdmi would be best on that set, if your dvd player doesnt have that use component(the red green and blue jacks on the back) and if you have a dinosaur dvd player s-video
post #480 of 2843 Old 12-28-2005, 01:13 AM

quick question - on the model code sticker on my slimfit, it says TXR3079WHX/XAA. Does everyone have that X added on, or is this a updated model or what?
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page