The Official Samsung SlimFit HDTV Thread... - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 2843 Old 01-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Member
 
gdavisloop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried using an HDMI cable from a Samsung DVD player to the TXR3801. This created one new problem: every time the DVD player switches from one menu to another, the TV says "HDMI Audio Not Supported" (which I think is pretty self-explanatory).
--Gary
gdavisloop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 2843 Old 01-26-2006, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
justsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavisloop View Post

I tried using an HDMI cable from a Samsung DVD player to the TXR3801. This created one new problem: every time the DVD player switches from one menu to another, the TV says "HDMI Audio Not Supported" (which I think is pretty self-explanatory).
--Gary

I've heard this one before. Do you also have your set-up connected to a receiver, and if so how are you connecting and using it?

I suggest you post this in the DVD Player (standard def) forum here at AVS. I bet you can get your answer faqirly easy there.
justsc is offline  
post #543 of 2843 Old 01-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
dsanbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chichester, NH....5 miles E of Concord
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavisloop View Post

I tried using an HDMI cable from a Samsung DVD player to the TXR3801. This created one new problem: every time the DVD player switches from one menu to another, the TV says "HDMI Audio Not Supported" (which I think is pretty self-explanatory).
--Gary

My SlimFit TV manual says the HDMI "source" must be turned ON BEFORE the TV or else HDMI is NOT recognized.....Are you turning the DVD player on FIRST? If not, try that before digging into the SM of the TV, etc.
I have to turn my H20 on BEFORE my SlimFit, or "HDMI" doesn't appear as an input on the TV menu....Good luck!
dsanbo is offline  
post #544 of 2843 Old 01-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Member
 
gdavisloop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm just taking it at it's word, that this TV doesn't support HDMI audio.
But I have a call into Samsung, so maybe they will have a comment.
--Gary
gdavisloop is offline  
post #545 of 2843 Old 01-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Newbie
 
Spork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: East Canada
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my 3079 connected to my cable box via the HDMI and get audio to my TV through it (I am using a Motorola 6412).


Spork
Spork is offline  
post #546 of 2843 Old 01-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Newbie
 
The Dord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Belleville, MI
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dord View Post

I'm getting the same thing, I get a band like this on the left side of the screen and the right side of the screen. seems like the tube isn't made flat enough or something.

If I have to return this, I'm going to freak out, this would be crappy item #2 from Circuit City (First, it was a dead pixel in a magnavox 27 inch lcd tv, now its Geometry and ghosting/glow problems in a 30" Samsung Dynaflat TV with HD-Tuner...)

Update: Techinican came out with a new divergence/deflector board. Although it is better, the image isn't perfect or straight with the same overglow.. I wonder if there will be a lawsuit on this? This TV has the worst complaints on it by far, and for $850, I should have a TV free of Geometry/overglow issuies..

Just may be done with TV's altogether, Everytime I buy something, its defective
The Dord is offline  
post #547 of 2843 Old 01-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Newbie
 
mrcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcool View Post

I'll get my Slimfit TV tomorrow,I'll report the test soon.:-)
In Thailand and SE Asia, Slimfit TV is "WS-32Z30HE".

I want to comment in a few words "not good enough for TV,but DVD"
mrcool is offline  
post #548 of 2843 Old 01-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Newbie
 
jackal772005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im getting bluish and yellowish colors on the left and right side of the screen, what is this due to, the disguessing coil does not work, to correct this problem.
jackal772005 is offline  
post #549 of 2843 Old 01-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Newbie
 
broeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased this TV on December 18th. I noticed the bow at the bottom of the screen when tickers went by. Thought of returning it, but I wanted a set that I could fit in my car if I moved, the others just wouldn't quite do it.

UNFORTUNATELY, the tv decided to stop turning back on today. I get the delightful "melody" sound each time I press the power button, but no image on the screen.

This is very disappointing. My old sanyo 25" inch is still working despite having beer poured in it once, and this one craps out after 38 days.

Someone is coming out to look at it soon, however, I don't want to have recurring problems. Is there any kind of "lemon" law for this sort of thing? I really just want my money back so I can buy something different, but I'm sure it will be a cold day in hell before that ever happens.
broeks is offline  
post #550 of 2843 Old 01-29-2006, 10:45 PM
qip
Member
 
qip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by broeks View Post

I purchased this TV on December 18th. I noticed the bow at the bottom of the screen when tickers went by. Thought of returning it, but I wanted a set that I could fit in my car if I moved, the others just wouldn't quite do it.

UNFORTUNATELY, the tv decided to stop turning back on today. I get the delightful "melody" sound each time I press the power button, but no image on the screen.

This is very disappointing. My old sanyo 25" inch is still working despite having beer poured in it once, and this one craps out after 38 days.

Someone is coming out to look at it soon, however, I don't want to have recurring problems. Is there any kind of "lemon" law for this sort of thing? I really just want my money back so I can buy something different, but I'm sure it will be a cold day in hell before that ever happens.


which model did you buy and a another question for all ,as someone asked before does the 3080 have bowing or geometry issues or is that only for 3079?
qip is offline  
post #551 of 2843 Old 01-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Newbie
 
jotwel2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not an expert, just a recent owner of the same TV. I originally had the same colors
but by turning the set off and on several times, and then unplugging the set, it should be corrected the next time it is plugged back in and turned on. The color distortion may be caused by magnetic interference from a speaker or other producer of magnetic fields.
I had this same problem and did the above and haven't had any problem with this since.
jotwel2 is offline  
post #552 of 2843 Old 01-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Newbie
 
jotwel2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by broeks View Post

I purchased this TV on December 18th. I noticed the bow at the bottom of the screen when tickers went by. Thought of returning it, but I wanted a set that I could fit in my car if I moved, the others just wouldn't quite do it.

UNFORTUNATELY, the tv decided to stop turning back on today. I get the delightful "melody" sound each time I press the power button, but no image on the screen.

This is very disappointing. My old sanyo 25" inch is still working despite having beer poured in it once, and this one craps out after 38 days.

Someone is coming out to look at it soon, however, I don't want to have recurring problems. Is there any kind of "lemon" law for this sort of thing? I really just want my money back so I can buy something different, but I'm sure it will be a cold day in hell before that ever happens.


i also had the same thing happen. My problem was that there is a delay from the time you push the on button, before the set turns on. I was thinking I did not push the button correctly and essentially turning the set back off before it turned on. Since I realized this I have had no problems with it turning on since. Hope this helps.
jotwel2 is offline  
post #553 of 2843 Old 01-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Newbie
 
jotwel2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This may have been posted before, but I found alot of useful info at the Samsung web site. Under the FAQ area, they have answered quite a few questions that seem to be reoccurring here.
jotwel2 is offline  
post #554 of 2843 Old 01-30-2006, 07:04 AM
Newbie
 
broeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotwel2 View Post

i also had the same thing happen. My problem was that there is a delay from the time you push the on button, before the set turns on. I was thinking I did not push the button correctly and essentially turning the set back off before it turned on. Since I realized this I have had no problems with it turning on since. Hope this helps.

In my case, when I press the power button, it makes the melody sound. Then nothing happens for about 25 seconds. Then I push it again, and I get the melody sound again. I've turned it on (melody sound) and then walked away. When I return, I am still disappointed.
broeks is offline  
post #555 of 2843 Old 01-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Newbie
 
broeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qip View Post

which model did you buy and a another question for all ,as someone asked before does the 3080 have bowing or geometry issues or is that only for 3079?

I'm not sure, there are definetly two different models as the Samsung tech support person needed to know which one I had. I'll check tonight. Perhaps this is the key to getting a set where the reliablility and functionality match the aesthetics and price.

I figured if it was good enough for Dan Marino's closet (commercial), that it'd be good enough for me
broeks is offline  
post #556 of 2843 Old 01-30-2006, 08:19 AM
qip
Member
 
qip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by broeks View Post

I'm not sure, there are definetly two different models as the Samsung tech support person needed to know which one I had. I'll check tonight. Perhaps this is the key to getting a set where the reliablility and functionality match the aesthetics and price.

I figured if it was good enough for Dan Marino's closet (commercial), that it'd be good enough for me


are your speakers on the side or bottom
qip is offline  
post #557 of 2843 Old 01-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Newbie
 
broeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qip View Post

are your speakers on the side or bottom

Sides
broeks is offline  
post #558 of 2843 Old 01-30-2006, 11:28 AM
qip
Member
 
qip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does anyone have a pic of what these problems are , what does bowing or bad geometry look like ....is it like this in the pic (my poor drawing) Red line for bowing geometry
LL
qip is offline  
post #559 of 2843 Old 01-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Newbie
 
jotwel2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qip View Post

does anyone have a pic of what these problems are , what does bowing or bad geometry look like ....is it like this in the pic (my poor drawing) Red line for bowing geometry


It would be like drawing #1, not always noticable even with some horizontal graphics. But other times very annoying. It is the only complaint I have with my set.
jotwel2 is offline  
post #560 of 2843 Old 01-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Newbie
 
Big_Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saint Joseph, MI
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qip View Post

which model did you buy and a another question for all ,as someone asked before does the 3080 have bowing or geometry issues or is that only for 3079?

I bought the 3080 around New Years, speakers at the bottom. It has some bowing at the bottom, most pronounced at the center, and only noticeable if there's a ticker or other reference making what should be a straight line. I plan to call for service and see if they can correct this. If not I'll still keep it as a Slimfit is the only 27 or 30 inch TV that will fit in my cabinet these days, and then maybe fool with the service menu controls myself. Otherwise I have no PQ complaints, progressive scan DVD over component vid cables is good and HDTV is very good, esp PBS-HD which seems superior to commercial network HDTV broadcasts.

BTW, I get my HDTV via a Motorola STB from Comcast, only $5 per month even if you have just Basic cable. I wrongly thought I would have to subscribe to digital cable to get this local HDTV service.
Big_Al is offline  
post #561 of 2843 Old 01-30-2006, 04:27 PM
qip
Member
 
qip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post

I bought the 3080 around New Years, speakers at the bottom. It has some bowing at the bottom, most pronounced at the center, and only noticeable if there's a ticker or other reference making what should be a straight line. I plan to call for service and see if they can correct this. If not I'll still keep it as a Slimfit is the only 27 or 30 inch TV that will fit in my cabinet these days, and then maybe fool with the service menu controls myself. Otherwise I have no PQ complaints, progressive scan DVD over component vid cables is good and HDTV is very good, esp PBS-HD which seems superior to commercial network HDTV broadcasts.

BTW, I get my HDTV via a Motorola STB from Comcast, only $5 per month even if you have just Basic cable. I wrongly thought I would have to subscribe to digital cable to get this local HDTV service.


hows the PQ on regular digital channels that are not hd.... is it clear like a good old regular tv or do you see any grainy blurry pixelated stuff
qip is offline  
post #562 of 2843 Old 01-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Newbie
 
jotwel2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qip View Post

hows the PQ on regular digital channels that are not hd.... is it clear like a good old regular tv or do you see any grainy blurry pixelated stuff


Most of my DTV signals are pretty sharp. From what I have read, this can very
from broadcaster, as the signals and quality from them are not always the same.
With a little tweaking, my SD pictures are acceptable. Well most anyway. i get my HD thru Adelphia Cable and have no complaints with any of those channels.
have not tried the over the air HD signal, as the towers are approx 50 miles away
I don't think it would be very good anyway.
jotwel2 is offline  
post #563 of 2843 Old 01-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Newbie
 
Oh_Syx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but I was intrigued enough to register. I, like many others here, bought the 30" Slimfit TV and I don't believe I have any of the problems mentioned (though that is likely due to the fact that I don't understand the terminology used [bowing?]) Anyways, I have noticed 2 distinct problems. The first is that on the bottom of the screen, the bottom right corner is slanting downwards. I tried adjusting the tilt but that helped very minimally. The other problem is that the bottom of the screen seems to be cut off. By that I mean when there is text on the very bottom of the screen, I can only see the top half of it. What can I do to fix this problem? Should I buy some sort of DVD or contact Samsung? Thanks in advance.
Oh_Syx is offline  
post #564 of 2843 Old 01-30-2006, 05:03 PM
Newbie
 
jotwel2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Syx View Post

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but I was intrigued enough to register. I, like many others here, bought the 30" Slimfit TV and I don't believe I have any of the problems mentioned (though that is likely due to the fact that I don't understand the terminology used [bowing?]) Anyways, I have noticed 2 distinct problems. The first is that on the bottom of the screen, the bottom right corner is slanting downwards. I tried adjusting the tilt but that helped very minimally. The other problem is that the bottom of the screen seems to be cut off. By that I mean when there is text on the very bottom of the screen, I can only see the top half of it. What can I do to fix this problem? Should I buy some sort of DVD or contact Samsung? Thanks in advance.

Have you tried to change the picture mode, either thru the settings or from the remote. Also on my cable remote I can change the veiwing Aspect of the incoming picture. It sounds like you may be in a Zoom mode, find the Normal or Stretch mode, and see if the problem is still happening.
jotwel2 is offline  
post #565 of 2843 Old 01-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Newbie
 
Oh_Syx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No I'm definately in 16:9. The bottom is a little less cut off when I'm in 4:3 but it still exists. The tilt happens in all modes.
Oh_Syx is offline  
post #566 of 2843 Old 01-31-2006, 07:41 AM
Newbie
 
xcr2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a slimfit tv about 2 weeks ago. I originally bought a phillips 30wide crt hdtv but the thing didn't even turn on when i got home.

I have one question. Luckily i am in the minority with my tv because i only have minor geometry issues (need to look hard to see anything). My question is dealing with what appears to be magnatism. On the right side of my screen i have verticle bowing color lines (about half inch in width). They look slightly bowed. They are not always there, and can go away if i unplug the tv etc.....I see them mostly with my ps2 during black screens (startup b4 the disc starts). The only other time I see them is when it is an EDTV signal and i have the black boxes on the sides. They are barely noticeably in this case. i can get rid of them when viewing EDTV by switching to an analog channel and them back to the EDTV. It seems if i turn off the tv then back on with the ps2 on it helps, and after a few minutes the color goes almost away (with ps2).

Any help is appreciated. Do you guys think i need to buy a degaussing wand to degauss the tv? or is it soemtihng else. I used to have a bose waveradio next to the tv, but i moved that. Now i have my receiver for my home theater next to the right side of the tv, with the front right speaker on top of it (speaker and receiver are about a foot to right of tv and 6 inches down). Thanks.
xcr2000 is offline  
post #567 of 2843 Old 01-31-2006, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
justsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Syx View Post

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but I was intrigued enough to register. I, like many others here, bought the 30" Slimfit TV and I don't believe I have any of the problems mentioned (though that is likely due to the fact that I don't understand the terminology used [bowing?]) Anyways, I have noticed 2 distinct problems. The first is that on the bottom of the screen, the bottom right corner is slanting downwards. I tried adjusting the tilt but that helped very minimally. The other problem is that the bottom of the screen seems to be cut off. By that I mean when there is text on the very bottom of the screen, I can only see the top half of it. What can I do to fix this problem? Should I buy some sort of DVD or contact Samsung? Thanks in advance.

I believe most of your troubles can be solved via the service menu (SM). But that's not a place for the uninitiated. It would certainly be good to invest in a calibration dvd like Avia or DVE. Even better for newcomers is Sound & Vision's Home Theater Tuneup, which walks you through every step slowly and easily. The adjustments are to the user menu settings like contrast and color, etc. It seems that it would be easy to play with these settings and get the right "mix," but actually it is nearly impossible without one of these discs. They are put out by the pros and when I was done the first time I felt like I had a new tv, and watched all my dvds over again to better appreciate them.

The calibration dvds also contain test patterns that can help mitigate the problems you're describing, specifically overscan (bottom cut off) and horizontal linearity (right side dropping off). My recommendation is that you give your tv a chance to settle, usually at least 100 viewing hours, before calibrating. During this time just be sure to use the "Custom" picture mode and keep Contrast no higher than 45%. For dark pictures adjust Brightness to taste.

During your break-in period, be studying the forum specifically for SM do's and don'ts and tips. This can seem daunting to newcomers, but just read and soak it up - don't try to memorize anything. Even though it's for Sony's, try to scan KenTech's thread on Sony Service Menu "THE SONY SERVICE CODES - Articles, Comments, Discoveries" Just scan the posts to get the flavor. Chances are you'll never dig as deeply as the guys posting to this thread, but you'll get the jist of things. Then, after you begin to get comfortable with the terminology post specific questions about your geometry and overscan issues. In the meantime just try to live with what sounds to be somewhat minor anomalies. My Samsung set still has a little bit of drooping, similar to your description of your lower right corner problem, and some minor overscan issues not unlike your bottom cutoff.
justsc is offline  
post #568 of 2843 Old 01-31-2006, 09:52 AM
Newbie
 
xcr2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcr2000 View Post

I bought a slimfit tv about 2 weeks ago. I originally bought a phillips 30wide crt hdtv but the thing didn't even turn on when i got home.

I have one question. Luckily i am in the minority with my tv because i only have minor geometry issues (need to look hard to see anything). My question is dealing with what appears to be magnatism. On the right side of my screen i have verticle bowing color lines (about half inch in width). They look slightly bowed. They are not always there, and can go away if i unplug the tv etc.....I see them mostly with my ps2 during black screens (startup b4 the disc starts). The only other time I see them is when it is an EDTV signal and i have the black boxes on the sides. They are barely noticeably in this case. i can get rid of them when viewing EDTV by switching to an analog channel and them back to the EDTV. It seems if i turn off the tv then back on with the ps2 on it helps, and after a few minutes the color goes almost away (with ps2).

Any help is appreciated. Do you guys think i need to buy a degaussing wand to degauss the tv? or is it soemtihng else. I used to have a bose waveradio next to the tv, but i moved that. Now i have my receiver for my home theater next to the right side of the tv, with the front right speaker on top of it (speaker and receiver are about a foot to right of tv and 6 inches down). Thanks.


TTT thanks.
xcr2000 is offline  
post #569 of 2843 Old 01-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Member
 
deadzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baton Rouge, LA.
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hiya guys - Long time reader, 1st post.

Guess what?! I bought this set last weekend on Saturday - and it's working perfectly for me! Not one of the problems mentioned have happened with mine. I don't know the specific model number, i'll check when I get home. I am pretty sure it's the 79 though.

HD ota with an amplified antennae and DVD's look simply incredible. It's my first dip into HD so maybe it's just the fact that it's my first time seeing HD, bud damn! It's simply breathtaking to watch stuff in HD!

I have analog cable (no box) and it's really not that bad looking either. Some channels look really bad but I assume it's the network broadcast quality more than my tv. I would say 90 percent of the stuff I watch on cable looks pretty good. I have to say - setting to 16x9 or Pana modes looks really weird and I don't like it, so I generally watch everything in 4x3 if it's not HD of course. Oddly enough, regular - non-hd stuff looked really bad when I first plugged it in, but it seems to have gotten better over the course of the last couple of days. Is this normal?

The first thing I did was go to "custom" and get the contrast, brightness, color, and sharpness settings under control. Since I did that, things started to sharpen up a little. It really looked bad when viewing analog cable for the first couple of days though. (Maybe setting the custom settings helped?) It's looking a lot better now.

I got a good deal on this Samsung DVD Player and have it connected to this set via HDMI. (sorry can't post links just yet but the model number is DVDHD755) It has HDMI and Component on it and does upconversion.

It upconverts, I don't know how high, but I notice a huge quality difference in DVD's now. They look much different, in an awesome way. If you can find a good one, this tv is really great for DVD viewing if you have a good player and good, quality connections.

Geometry issues appear to be non-existent. I have been looking at different news channels and sports center with news tickers and they fly right along the whole bottom of the screen the way they should. (This is in 16x9 and 4x3 mode only that I checked though) The zoom and pana settings just look weird so I don't really use them.

I'm thinking the next step is to invest in some calibration software. What do you guys think? I am really loving this set and while I hesitate to recommend given the problems everyone else seems to be having, I still have to. If you can find a good one, it's well worth it from a price/feature standpoint.

I seem to have gotten a good one so be aware that they are out there folks
deadzone is offline  
post #570 of 2843 Old 01-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Newbie
 
xcr2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzone View Post

Hiya guys - Long time reader, 1st post.

Guess what?! I bought this set last weekend on Saturday - and it's working perfectly for me! Not one of the problems mentioned have happened with mine. I don't know the specific model number, i'll check when I get home. I am pretty sure it's the 79 though.

HD ota with an amplified antennae and DVD's look simply incredible. It's my first dip into HD so maybe it's just the fact that it's my first time seeing HD, bud damn! It's simply breathtaking to watch stuff in HD!

I have analog cable (no box) and it's really not that bad looking either. Some channels look really bad but I assume it's the network broadcast quality more than my tv. I would say 90 percent of the stuff I watch on cable looks pretty good. I have to say - setting to 16x9 or Pana modes looks really weird and I don't like it, so I generally watch everything in 4x3 if it's not HD of course. Oddly enough, regular - non-hd stuff looked really bad when I first plugged it in, but it seems to have gotten better over the course of the last couple of days. Is this normal?

The first thing I did was go to "custom" and get the contrast, brightness, color, and sharpness settings under control. Since I did that, things started to sharpen up a little. It really looked bad when viewing analog cable for the first couple of days though. (Maybe setting the custom settings helped?) It's looking a lot better now.

I got a good deal on this Samsung DVD Player and have it connected to this set via HDMI. (sorry can't post links just yet but the model number is DVDHD755) It has HDMI and Component on it and does upconversion.

It upconverts, I don't know how high, but I notice a huge quality difference in DVD's now. They look much different, in an awesome way. If you can find a good one, this tv is really great for DVD viewing if you have a good player and good, quality connections.

Geometry issues appear to be non-existent. I have been looking at different news channels and sports center with news tickers and they fly right along the whole bottom of the screen the way they should. (This is in 16x9 and 4x3 mode only that I checked though) The zoom and pana settings just look weird so I don't really use them.

I'm thinking the next step is to invest in some calibration software. What do you guys think? I am really loving this set and while I hesitate to recommend given the problems everyone else seems to be having, I still have to. If you can find a good one, it's well worth it from a price/feature standpoint.

I seem to have gotten a good one so be aware that they are out there folks



great post. i agree with your analysis. I love thwe tv. I jsut have this nagging issue with what i stated above. you have any ideas? what setting did you use for custom?
xcr2000 is offline  
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off