The Official Samsung SlimFit HDTV Thread... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2843 Old 06-06-2005, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
seems compelling at $900... if they can get it down to 90 or 80 lbs for the same price, that would be very compelling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2843 Old 06-09-2005, 02:27 PM

The price and 16" depth sure attracted my attention on this unit, but after taking a good look at one at Circuit City, decided not to get it.

It's not really possible to judge things like contrast, brightness and color balance on a store model, but it was pretty easy to see things like the dot pitch and geometry aberrations. Honestly, the dot pitch is so coarse, I don't believe this CRT can really show anything better than ED resolution. It was actively annoying, and not just from a close distance. On a blue sky, where mainly the blue phosphor is lit, the vertical lines were easy to see at a comfortable viewing distance of 12'. This would surely drive me nuts. And if I went not far away to look at the image on a 32" LCD, for example, the difference was really noticeable: the LCD was razor sharp as we know good HD can be.

On the geometry, it was exactly as a couple of folks have reported: vertical lines at the sides of the screen are bowed inward (i.e., like an hourglass). Not a big problem for a lot of content, but it's the kind of thing that would really bother me when it's visible, considering that this is supposed to be a HD display. It's simply not.

I'm very disappointed, because if it hadn't been for the truly mediocre PQ, this would really be the solution to a number of my problems. Oh, well. Just have to wait until I can somehow afford one of the many better displays.

x
post #33 of 2843 Old 06-09-2005, 06:41 PM

I purchased this tv from the CC in Union Square (NYC). I compared the SlimFit to the Sony and thought the Samsung had superior picture quality. I noticed the hd feeds on both tvs (if not all) weren't as clear as they could be. The picture looked so much better when I got it home and hooked up the SA8300HD. I hadn't noticed the vertical bar thing, but I took a REALLY close look and noticed it a tiny bit. The HD channels look great and I'm really satisfied with it. imo, sdtv looked better on this thing than the Sony as well. The sdtv quality on the Sony 30" Wega was significantly fuzzy compared to the SlimFit. Just my $0.02.
post #34 of 2843 Old 06-09-2005, 08:37 PM

yeah, just got this tv, after doing all the good stuff (turning off vsm, and using dve) it has an impressive picture. Yes i imagine the sony will maintain a superior image, but for the price it is very nice, the geometry like most tv's is not perfect, needs a little left or right or whatever, but as far as the vertical line problem i haven't seen a lot of it, but i made the mistake of getting the sanyo, and this set is a big improvment on it in every way. The tuner also does a good job of picking up channels that are pretty far away. I live in ohio and i get a few channels from cincinatti (i live north of dayton, so it gives me this from about 90 miles away, something the sanyo didn't with the same antenna..not sure how that one works, but oh well. That's my small speech of it..a great tv i think..but at the same time..if other companies put out the same thing that ends up being a lot better than this..i'm trading up..great tv..not revolutionary by anything but being smaller, but still a good buy.
post #35 of 2843 Old 06-09-2005, 10:09 PM

I think you folks have some valid points, mainly that HD content will look very good on this TV, and that, for the price, it's a relative bargain. But I stand by my criticism of the resolution. Case in point: a friend just bought a Panasonic 42" ED plasma unit (I forget the model number, but it's available from places like Vann's for around $1500). He has never had a true HD display, nor a plasma or anything better than good (Sony WEGA) conventional CRTs. Next to those, a 42" plasma ED is an impressive step up. He is totally thrilled. But he doesn't know what he's missing. It is not HD, and the difference is very apparent when you can compare them side-by-side. I'm not talking about color balance or the subjective picture quality stuff, but pure resolution with a true HD source. It's just not there. The next time I have a chance to get close to one, I'll measure the dot pitch, and I can assure you it will probably not be close to any decent XGA computer monitor (never mind an Apple 30" cinema display), whereas a top-quality plasma or LCD has something approaching the 1920x1080 of full 1080i HD (ok, most are around 768 vertical, but still ...).

As far as the vertical bars, I suspect this sort of thing could be adjusted out by a competent technician, but when you see several reports of this, you really have to wonder what kind of quality control they're doing.

I don't know, the price is really excellent, and the picture is good, but when you know what HD can and should look like, it's hard to want to spend anything at all.

x
post #36 of 2843 Old 06-10-2005, 01:48 PM

OK, I had a chance to measure (approximately) the dot pitch on this TV. There were about 20 blue (or red or green) stripes per inch horizontally. That's a dot pitch of 1.25mm, and a horizontal pixel count of about 525. I don't know what the vertical sync on this TV is, or whether it scales 1080i to some other sync (it may not), but 525 dots horizontal is nowhere near HD, my friends. On a square pixel display, a 16:9 display should have 1920 dots horizontal for 1080i HD, or at least 1280 for 720p. This Samsung TV has a little more than 1/4 that resolution. It's actually less than ED resolution.

A Sony 30" something-or-other was sitting next to it in the store, and while it was hard to measure (because the pitch was so fine), it appeared to be about 36dpi, or a dot pitch of about .73mm. This is not near the pitch of a good computer monitor, and not full HD, either, but considerably better than the slimfit. The picture was visually much sharper, too.

At the high end of the native physical resolution scale, we have monitors like Apple's 30" cinema display, with a dot pitch of .25mm and a native resolution of 2560x1600. At one point, dpiX, a Xerox PARC spinoff, was producing displays (primarily for military and medical applications) with a dot pitch of .085mm (about 300dpi). A wonder to behold.

Good LCD and plasma displays will have true HD native resolution, most closer to the 720p spec, but some getting near the 1080i spec. Obviously, these are not going to sell in the $1000 range for a long time!

So let me finish this rant by being a little more practical: the Samsung product has excellent picture quality if you don't consider the resolution. Its price is fabulous, and its shallow depth is unique in the industry. It's actually a wonderful product. But it's not a HD display any more than an ED TV with an HDTV tuner is.

x
post #37 of 2843 Old 06-11-2005, 10:56 AM

so my Best Buy finally got the slimfit in. wow it looks nice. I don't post a lot here but I do a lot of reading . The information you guys provide is great! so i decided to see if I could put what I read to the test. lol!! so I am standing in Best Buy looking at the slimfit next to the other 30inch crts. Low and behold I notice a "bowing" in the middle of the screen. All the tvs had the same program running simutaneously. Whenever a letterbox/graphic (that went all the way across the screen in a straight line) appeared on the bottom, the middle seemed to be curved up just a tad. Where the sony and Toshibas had straight lines all the way across. Now is this a geometry issue with this all of the Samsung slimfit or would it be just for this particular set? Is this easily fixable without having to go into any service menus?
post #38 of 2843 Old 06-11-2005, 01:31 PM

I believe geometry problems such as what people have reported with this set can and should be fixed through the service menu. Once that's done, and with a good color calibration, I believe that picture quality can be as good as any Sony - not counting the horizontal resolution, of course.

x
post #39 of 2843 Old 06-12-2005, 04:42 PM

xgrep, if you have seen the LG 30" Flat Tube CRT, how would you compare it's picture quality to the Samsung Slimfit?

Also, does anyone know if the LG brand last long (good quality)?
post #40 of 2843 Old 06-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgrep View Post

A Sony 30" something-or-other was sitting next to it in the store, and while it was hard to measure (because the pitch was so fine), it appeared to be about 36dpi, or a dot pitch of about .73mm. This is not near the pitch of a good computer monitor, and not full HD, either, but considerably better than the slimfit. The picture was visually much sharper, too.

At the high end of the native physical resolution scale, we have monitors like Apple's 30" cinema display, with a dot pitch of .25mm and a native resolution of 2560x1600.

And compare the contrast ratio of that Cinema Display with any CRT. The black level is just not there, despite a much higher price.

You're comparing apples and oranges (no pun intended).

It's no secret that Sony super-fine pitch CRT's have higher resolution than other CRT's. It's also no secret that you pay more for them.

But your "pixel count" is flawed, because for one thing, the size of the stripes varies across a CRT screen, and it's not the sole predictor of resolution anyway. That's why Samsung lists a "maximum resolution" - the resolution is greater towards the center of the screen. You're obviously coming from a digital display world - things don't work the same way with CRT's.

Now, as for perceived sharpness, you're clearly not taking viewing distance into account. A 30" set with 850 lines of maximum resolution when viewed at 5 feet will look approximately the same as a 46" screen with 1200 lines of vertical resolution when viewed at 8 or 9 feet. The perceived sharpness will be the same.

If you're going back again to the Apple Cinema Display (which is not a great HDTV - it has neither the contrast nor the correct aspect ratio), the extra sharpness will not be apparent unless you're sitting at an average viewing distance for a PC - 1 or 2 feet. This is a small screen, remember.

I'll just say that I use a 23" Cinema Display at work (1920x1200 resolution) and when viewing HD material such as Apple's h.264 movie trailers, I don't notice any difference whatsoever in terms of sharpness between it and my 26" Samsung CRT (non-slimfit), except at the extreme edges. I do notice the Cinema Display's lack of true black, though. When you're talking small sizes like this, you've really got to get up close and personal to spot any difference in sharpness, and that's even assuming that nothing was lost in the HD transfer (many HD transfers don't have a full 1920 lines of resolution to begin with) and that nothing else is acting as a bottleneck in the process. For example, someone in another thread measured his cable box (the same one I'm using now) as outputting 1326 lines of resolution on 1080i content - which makes having a full-res screen kind of a moot point regardless of your viewing position.

Now, all this is not to say that a 50" or larger digital monitor displaying pristine 1920x1080 content (and preferably 1080p!) won't look amazing, and sharper and better than any 26" or 30" CRT screen doing the same when viewed from the same distance. But I think your reasoning is a bit flawed. For people whose viewing position dictates a 30" screen (and remember, you pick a screen size based on your viewing distance, not the other way around), they're not going to gain anything by viewing on something like a Cinema Display vs. a CRT except a lighter wallet and poorer black levels.

Quote:

It's actually a wonderful product. But it's not a HD display any more than an ED TV with an HDTV tuner is.

Then I guess no CRT HDTV's other than the Sony's are HD displays, by your definition. (This is, of course, ignoring that the number of horizontal scan lines is constant - if a set says it's 1080i, then it's got 1080 scan lines. An EDTV, by comparison, will only have 576.)

Figure out the LPI for the Samsung slimfit CRT vs. your average 720p DLP or plasma set at 50" or larger and I think you will find the CRT actually has greater absolute sharpness. (Seriously, do the math yourself based on published specs.) Don't confuse pixel count with resolution or sharpness.
post #41 of 2843 Old 06-12-2005, 09:04 PM

You make some good points, and I'd like to address some of them, beginning with the last:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badasscat View Post

Figure out the LPI for the Samsung slimfit CRT vs. your average 720p DLP or plasma set at 50" or larger and I think you will find the CRT actually has greater absolute sharpness. (Seriously, do the math yourself based on published specs.) Don't confuse pixel count with resolution or sharpness.

It's true that most plasmas, LCDs, DLPs, etc. have fewer than 1920 dots horizontal, and the perceived image quality is highly dependent on the scaler algorithm and other things, but given any two displays, the one with the higher number of dots has the greater potential for a higher resolution image. There really isn't any getting around that. All of this assumes that the viewer chooses a position such that the set subtends the same angle at the eye. If you tend to sit proportionately closer to a large screen than a small one, then for sure you are going to see each dot taking up more angle on the bigger screen, and it may seem not as sharp.

Quote:

And compare the contrast ratio of that Cinema Display with any CRT. The black level is just not there, despite a much higher price.

Of course, true. No LCD is going to have the contrast and brightness of a CRT or plasma. But if you compare the Slimfit to a plasma with true 1280x728 or, more realistically, to a different CRT with a higher horizontal dot count, the Slimfit is going to be on the inferior end of most resolution measurements and many subjective comparisons.

Quote:

It's no secret that Sony super-fine pitch CRT's have higher resolution than other CRT's. It's also no secret that you pay more for them.

Indeed. Which is why I accept that the Slimfit is an excellent value - as long as you know what you're getting.

Quote:

But your "pixel count" is flawed, because for one thing, the size of the stripes varies across a CRT screen

While that may be the case on some CRTs (not all, especially pre-flat screen), I measured the stripes per inch at the same location on the Sony and Slimfit screens. If they are that much off at one location, they are going to be off at all others, as well.

Quote:

Now, as for perceived sharpness, you're clearly not taking viewing distance into account. A 30" set with 850 lines of maximum resolution when viewed at 5 feet will look approximately the same as a 46" screen with 1200 lines of vertical resolution when viewed at 8 or 9 feet. The perceived sharpness will be the same.

I guess I don't follow that. 850 lines horizontal looks the same on displays of any size as long as the angle subtended by the display is the same. As I mentioned above, if you tend to sit proportionately closer to the larger display, then yes, you'll need more lines to get the same perceived resolution.

Quote:

If you're going back again to the Apple Cinema Display (which is not a great HDTV - it has neither the contrast nor the correct aspect ratio),

Again, agreed on the contrast. The aspect ratio on the Apple wide displays is 16:10, not 16:9, but they have greater than 1080 dots vertical, and so can display HD at full resolution, with black bars at top and bottom. Don't forget that the aspect ratio of the display isn't relevant: if it can put the right number of dots up, it doesn't matter if it's a portrait mode display, it's still HD. You just waste a lot of dots that aren't lit if it's not 16:9.

Quote:

I'll just say that I use a 23" Cinema Display at work (1920x1200 resolution) and when viewing HD material such as Apple's h.264 movie trailers, I don't notice any difference whatsoever in terms of sharpness between it and my 26" Samsung CRT (non-slimfit)

I don't dispute your experience, but it sure doesn't match mine. I have a 17" flat panel iMac at home, and several XGA and better CRTs at work, and while the CRTs beat the LCD for contrast and saturation hands down, they can't hold a candle to the flat panel on image sharpness. Again, at a viewing distance where the display subtends the same angle at the eye.

Quote:

assuming that nothing was lost in the HD transfer (many HD transfers don't have a full 1920 lines of resolution to begin with) and that nothing else is acting as a bottleneck in the process.

Point taken. There is probably no content currently available (short of a test pattern, and even then ...) that has true 1920 lines of resolution. But one hopes that some content will be fairly good, and maybe things will improve.

Quote:

For people whose viewing position dictates a 30" screen (and remember, you pick a screen size based on your viewing distance, not the other way around), they're not going to gain anything by viewing on something like a Cinema Display vs. a CRT except a lighter wallet and poorer black levels.

LCD, true, but you could get a plasma or a better CRT. But not for $1000!

Is the Slimfit worth $1000? Hell yes. Is it an excellent HD TV? Questionable.

Quote:

if a set says it's 1080i, then it's got 1080 scan lines. An EDTV, by comparison, will only have 576.)

Fair enough, I concede that point.

x
post #42 of 2843 Old 06-14-2005, 05:09 PM

Im looking for an HDTV and the slimfit happens to be one of my choices. The others are the Samsung LN-R328W 32" LCD and the Samsung HL-R4266W 42" DLP. The main use for this HDTV is for gaming (xbox360/ps3..). What attracts me the most about the Slimfit is that its 1) a CRT and 2) its price. Ive been reading posts in regards to its picture quality. Should I be concerned of the slimfit's shortcomings in terms of gaming? Does the LCD and DLP options above dignify a $2200 hit from my pocket, when all its going to be used for is gaming?? Thanks in advance!
post #43 of 2843 Old 06-14-2005, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post

The main use for this HDTV is for gaming (xbox360/ps3..). [...] Does the LCD and DLP options above dignify a $2200 hit from my pocket, when all its going to be used for is gaming?? Thanks in advance!

Well, you said it, I didn't :-). That is, I don't personally know how important HD image resolution is to gamers as compared with other characteristics, like contrast, dot trails, viewing angle, etc., but if "all it's going to be used for is gaming", in my opinion the Samsung Slimfit may be one of the best values you're ever going to see. Assuming it's reasonably reliable, of course, and as a new product, there's not much data on that, yet.

x
post #44 of 2843 Old 06-16-2005, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Question for those who actually did buy the tv...

what stand did you buy to go along with the tv? I was looking at Samsung's site yesterday and it doesn't seem like there is an official one.
post #45 of 2843 Old 06-16-2005, 07:50 AM

Bought a slimfit last night and had a chance to watch an OTA HD rerun of Lost.

On some scenes there was a distinctly visible white/red vertical line on the right hand side of the screen. It looked to be about one or two pixels wide on the right edge. The line appeared during dark scenes where there was a single point of bright light (like the nighttime campfires on the beach). Also, I must repeat the geometry complaints found elsewhere on this thread...during the kitchen scene where Kate was talking to the Australian farmer, each and every vertical line of the cupboards was curved near the top of the screen. When watching the local news after Lost, the horizontal text banners near the top and bottom of the screen either curved up on the sides (top) or curved down (bottom). Fishbowl. During the scrolling credits, you could see the words morph when they traveled through the left center of the screen.

This observed from about a 12 foot viewing distance.

Thought this would be an relatively inexpensive widescreen/HDTV solution for a small space, but it is not.
post #46 of 2843 Old 06-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
note that I don't know much about hdtvs...

I just find it hard to believe that a company would release a tv with the geometry issues that you're referring to. Could it be that it just needs to be properly calibrated or is this something you're stuck with if you do buy the tv?
post #47 of 2843 Old 06-16-2005, 10:44 AM

Having not looked extremely closely at too many HD CRTs, I don't honestly know if the Samsung Slimfit has worse geometry problems than others. It may not. And, while I don't know, I would bet that it can be adjusted for correct geometry that will last at least for a while (though it would be nice if it didn't have to be).

We shouldn't be too hard on this set. In fact:

1. It's fully HD capable (resolution aside)
2. It's a fabulously slim set
3. Picture quality is generally very good (resolution and geometry aside)
4. It's only $900!

My only real issue is the resolution, and it is not alone in that department.

x
post #48 of 2843 Old 06-16-2005, 06:55 PM

I've had the tv for approximately 3 weeks with great results (no geometry issues). However, just recently the tv has a buzzing sound coming from the back. Some days it is very low others it is relatively noticeable. Anyone else have this same problem? Is it something to worry about?

Thanks
Steve
post #49 of 2843 Old 06-16-2005, 07:05 PM

Most likely nothing to worry about, as it's probably either a CRT yoke or transformer with a winding that wasn't perfectly glued. Unfortunately, it can be very annoying, and it's a real nuisance deciding whether to do anything about it under warranty. Being a geek, I would probably leave it alone and, at some point far enough into the warranty period, open it up and drop some transformer epoxy on the sucker. For non-geeks, the other options are to live with it (if you can and it doesn't get worse, which it often does) or get it taken care of very soon. For what it's worth, every TV I've ever owned has done this to some extent.

By the way, very high voltages are inside color sets, even many hours after they've been turned off. Don't play technician if you don't regularly do this stuff, or you will need to make sure your life insurance is paid up, and know that your survivors will enjoy the set.

x
post #50 of 2843 Old 06-17-2005, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll hang tight for now.
post #51 of 2843 Old 06-19-2005, 12:02 PM

I purchased the Slimfit at BestBuy last Sunday night. They did not have any in stock in Atlanta. They found one in Macon and had it shuttled up for delivery this past Friday.

The delivery guys set it up and powered it up. I immediately noticed big purple blobs in the lower right and upper left corners. I nearly had them put it back in the box. After discussing on the phone with BestBuy on what would be best to do in this need-to-return-or-exchange situation and annotating the problem on the delivery forms, I let the guys leave. After all, I had no working TV (the former TV was fried), and the supply on this model seems a bit constrained if BestBuy had none in Atlanta.

I decided that what I was seeing (purple blobs) was similar to what you would sometimes see computer monitors that would be easily cured by using the "degaussing" button on computer displays. I checked the doc (and, I agree with others that the doc that accompanies this set is scant) looking to see if there was any kind of degaussing button. Finding none, I looked through the menus. I found a "reset" in one of the picture related menus, but it did nothing for the problem.

Since I really wanted to avoid having to return/exchange this new set, I decided to try calling Samsung Friday evening. Amazingly, I got a rep with a reasonable suggestion. Unplug it for 30 seconds. I did so, and it worked. Purple blobs gone. (Ashamed I didn't think of that myself. My mind was clouded with the disappointment of not having perfection out of the box.)

This TV is a big step up for me. I don't have any HDTV reception capability yet (I am probably going wih the CM9228 antenna I see referenced in the Atlanta area theads.) . I have Dishnet satellite currently feeding SVideo to the set.

I also have a DVD player that has component progressive scan capability that I hooked up to one of the component hookups on the Slimfit. I threw in the Spiderman DVD and the quality of the picture blew me away. Very nice.

I'm not sure I am satisfied yet, but I cannot say I am disappointed either. I am not as discriminating as others here may be since this my first digital television. I like the ability to switch the display to the different picture settings (4:3, 16:9, Movie, Panorama).

The panorma setting is curious to me. I suppose this is Samsung's method of dealing with distortion when you stretch a 4:3 to a 16:9 setting.
post #52 of 2843 Old 06-19-2005, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd2k View Post

I just find it hard to believe that a company would release a tv with the geometry issues that you're referring to.

Believe it. It is really bad. Anything with a straight line appeared bent or wavy on the two sets I have seen. I'm hoping the upcoming LG set is better but I'm discouraged now.

TWinbrook46636
post #53 of 2843 Old 06-19-2005, 03:43 PM

Please pardon my ignorance. As I stated on an earlier post, I'm looking into the Slimfit as a gaming TV. My input signal's resolution (via components) will be 720p (from xbox360). Since the Slimfit's native resolution is 480p (please correct me if I'm wrong), does that mean the 720p signal will be scaled down to 480p? And if so, how much does downscaling a signal affect picture quality? Will a HDTV with a native resolution of 1366x768 (i.e. Samsung's LCD) be that much better in picture quality (since the 720p signal will be a 1to1 pixel match)? Thank you
post #54 of 2843 Old 06-19-2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexible View Post

This TV is a big step up for me. I don't have any HDTV reception capability yet (I am probably going wih the CM9228 antenna I see referenced in the Atlanta area theads.) .

I managed get a view of most the Atlanta DTV stations this afternoon by using an older OTA antenna that is still up on the roof. The quality is fantastic. Again, the HD stuff is new to me. But it looked gorgeous on the slimfit.
post #55 of 2843 Old 06-19-2005, 05:54 PM

Played with the Service Mode and a Video Essentials DVD this afternoon and got the distortions corrected completely on my set.

Played with the following adjustments in the "Deflection" menu:

V-AMP
V-SHIFT
H-AMP
H-SHIFT
UP-LIN
LOW-LIN
H-PAR
UP-COR
LOW-COR
H-TRA
BOW
ANGLE
V-POSITION
UP UCG
LO UCG

The vertical bowing was most noticeable on my set when looking at 4:3 material.

When I was in Component 1 mode from the DVD in service mode, the screen always defaulted to 16:9. It made the adjustment process somewhat annoying. I would adjust then go back into regular mode from service mode to see what it *really* looked like.

I found adjusting each data item by 10 or 15% max and adjusting no more than three at a time yielded the best result for me.

===
Bill
post #56 of 2843 Old 06-20-2005, 08:41 AM

Bill.....
I just got this tv Saturday night to put in my bedroom and I was rather disappointed with the geometry on the set. But if I can adjust it out via the service menu then I will be much happier. I do not have Video Essentials (just Avia), so I dont know exactly how to attack this problem. Any suggestions?
post #57 of 2843 Old 06-20-2005, 08:54 AM

Thanks, flexible, for the great report, and also for the tip on being able to invoke a degauss by unplugging/replugging! And thanks, Bill, for confirming that the geometry can be completely corrected. As I mentioned, it would be nice if these left the factory perfectly calibrated (and stayed that way), but at this price point, you're already getting a lot for your money. Sony's don't come perfectly calibrated, and you can easily spend 3 times as much.

I think this set is going to be a big success in the market for which it's intended: people who are stepping up to HD from conventional TV but are not looking to spend $4K. It has everything you'd want - price, size, built-in tuner, lots of inputs, and far better than conventional quality picture.

x
post #58 of 2843 Old 06-20-2005, 09:55 AM

Hey buc18, I just got a slim fit too and am dissapointed in the geometry. I called Samsung and they had a licensed technician call me. He'll be coming tomorrow so I'll report back to let people know if he was able to fix it.

Essentially, when I got the TV I noticed a "bowing" upwards of horizontal lines across the bottom quarter of the screen. I also noticed that vertical lines in addition to horizontal lines across the top seems wavy. CNN was unwatchable. THe new ticker was warped, and the grey sidewars weren't straight. I did some of my own tweeking of the geometry in the system menu, and reduced the Velocity Scan Modulation and the redness and managed to straighten out the geometry somewhat. However, it really annoys me that whenever I adjust volume ont eh TV for example, the little menu bar pops up and is warped slightly in the middle. There are simply no adjustments in the deflection menu, or anywhere else, to correct this problem. I hope the technician can work some magic tomorrow, otherwise, I'll be returning this TV. In fact, I'm off to BB and CC as we speak to do something I should have done before SHOP FOR TVS WITH MY OWN EYES.
post #59 of 2843 Old 06-20-2005, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgrep View Post

I think this set is going to be a big success in the market for which it's intended: people who are stepping up to HD from conventional TV but are not looking to spend $4K. It has everything you'd want - price, size, built-in tuner, lots of inputs, and far better than conventional quality picture.

You described my sentiments and thinking precisely. If you are stepping up, as I am, then this seems an excellent option thus far.
post #60 of 2843 Old 06-20-2005, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunktify View Post

Hey buc18, I just got a slim fit too and am dissapointed in the geometry. I called Samsung and they had a licensed technician call me. He'll be coming tomorrow so I'll report back to let people know if he was able to fix it.

Essentially, when I got the TV I noticed a "bowing" upwards of horizontal lines across the bottom quarter of the screen. I also noticed that vertical lines in addition to horizontal lines across the top seems wavy. CNN was unwatchable. THe new ticker was warped, and the grey sidewars weren't straight. I did some of my own tweeking of the geometry in the system menu, and reduced the Velocity Scan Modulation and the redness and managed to straighten out the geometry somewhat. However, it really annoys me that whenever I adjust volume ont eh TV for example, the little menu bar pops up and is warped slightly in the middle. There are simply no adjustments in the deflection menu, or anywhere else, to correct this problem. I hope the technician can work some magic tomorrow, otherwise, I'll be returning this TV. In fact, I'm off to BB and CC as we speak to do something I should have done before SHOP FOR TVS WITH MY OWN EYES.

Please report back here with your results. This set is for my bedroom, as I have a 56 inch Samsung dlp for main viewing, but I still want it to look its optimum best. And the geometry issue does bug me. I was thinking about springing for the Video Essentials dvd to see if I could clear some of these issues up myself. I am interested in seeing what a technician can do for you.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page