post #631 of 2843 Old 02-16-2006, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivealex View Post

I wanted a CRT and did not look beyond CRT's.

I purchased the TV 3 months ago.

I had 30 days to decide whether to keep it, or bring it back...I kept it!

I love the HDTV picture, and the size for my small living room, and I did not have to purchase a new entertainment center...which I would of had to do if I bought a heavier, clunkier Sony.

Paid $900.00can in Canada.

Yes, there is some minor bowing at the bottom of the screen (I only notice it with my onscreen TV guide...otherwise I can live with it, and I never notice it when viewing TV programs).

Yes, there is some distortion on the right side of the screen...again I RARELY notice this, and can live with it.

I'm willing to bet that this type of experience is typical of the majority of SlimFit buyers. Most folks don't even know about forums like this one, let alone post to them.

I wish I had a better handle on how the SlimFits are faring customer service wise throughout the country. I wonder if the scrutiny they get here is isolated or if it reflects a broader experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2843 Old 02-16-2006, 04:31 PM

Chiming in after about 2 months.
My set is still working wonderfully. I've had minor bowing problems when I got the set and again when I reset it, but they were easily fixable after spending some time in the SM. UNfortunately, this set is easily deceiving as I think Samsung dropped the ball on the factory settings. Out of the box, this TV will NOT impress, but tune it a little bit and it makes a world of a difference. I now have all 4 default picture modes set to different input controls.

On another issue, I think its gonna be too small for me now tho, lol. Im moving in a week and a half and I may need to purchase another tv. It will probably be a Sony LCD since i need a 40" or higher, but the Samsung will become the bedroom set. Im just too in love with it to get rid of it.
post #633 of 2843 Old 02-16-2006, 04:32 PM

Chiming in after about 2 months.
My set is still working wonderfully. I've had minor bowing problems when I got the set and again when I reset it, but they were easily fixable after spending some time in the SM. UNfortunately, this set is easily deceiving as I think Samsung dropped the ball on the factory settings. Out of the box, this TV will NOT impress, but tune it a little bit and it makes a world of a difference. I now have all 4 default picture modes set to different input controls.

On another issue, I think its gonna be too small for me now tho, lol. Im moving in a week and a half and I may need to purchase another tv. It will probably be a Sony LCD since i need a 40" or higher, but the Samsung will become the bedroom set. Im just too in love with it to get rid of it.
post #634 of 2843 Old 02-17-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc View Post

This is a very good answer.

You'll never reach perfection with an analog device. Even if you get infinitessimally close, the settings will drift over time requiring re-calibration about once per year.

Oftentimes horizontal lines behaving badly can require a trained pro using special magnets under the hood.

i've called samsung to have an authorized tech come look at the tv. would they be able to use magnets to fix the horizontal bowing?
post #635 of 2843 Old 02-18-2006, 03:34 AM

After all the bad stuff I read in this post I was hesitant to get this tv. I was especially so because I didn't wanna hassle with having to lug it backto the store. Got it home opened it up, Mario Kart looked great. HD tv GREAT! other stuff so so. Looked for geometry issues, and noticed em barely on the 3:4 ratio. A guy came out today and worked on it for about an hour. I'm quite a happy with it , and he fixed the colors to boot! Like many people I over saturate the image with color. having adjusted now though i'm very pleased. Good set to be sure, and it fits great in my apartment.
post #636 of 2843 Old 02-18-2006, 07:03 PM

oh and I have the 81 by the way, I havent seen anyone else in this thread with that model yet. Maybe thats why mine is not nearly as bugged as some of the ones mentioned. My RESET in the SVC menu also restores the factory settings in deflection, incase I mess something up. The TV is designed completely different than the 79 and 80.
Just an FYI
post #637 of 2843 Old 02-18-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminisce View Post

oh and I have the 81 by the way, I havent seen anyone else in this thread with that model yet. Maybe thats why mine is not nearly as bugged as some of the ones mentioned. My RESET in the SVC menu also restores the factory settings in deflection, incase I mess something up. The TV is designed completely different than the 79 and 80.
Just an FYI

by "restores the factory settings in deflection" what do you mean by deflection? does that reset option put everything the tv was set to back to defaults incase someone calibrates it wrong? or just resets certain options and not all of them? sorry I don't know much about TV's
post #638 of 2843 Old 02-19-2006, 11:03 AM

Lot's of good and bad feedback on these Slimfits. I took the time to read the whole topic. My dad is now ready to upgrade his 25" warehouse club SD CRT. I actually went through the HD route last year and now have a Tosh 34HFX84 w/ D* HR10-250. Love the combo! Tosh is not an option for him since the 85's are tunerless and pretty much hit or miss quality wise. He wants to buy B&M locally so mailorder Sony 30XS955 is out. Plus the shipping would be unreasonable. If he wanted to spend $1900, the 34XBR960 would be the set.

I tried to get dad to buy a Sammy CRT last year from BB. There was an older non-Slimfit model that had a built in tuner for around $650. Justsc this could we one of the models you have. He wasn't ready at the time.

He has standard Comcast cable now and does not want to sub to D* or Comcast for HD. So a ATSC tuner is critical. I wish some of the newer CRT's had a workable QAM tuner but I can't seem to find any besides the Philips 30PW9100D and that seems to have more problems than the Slimfits.

Anyway, I've been reading about the 3079 for a couple days and thought it might be a good option for him with SD cable and UHF ant for OTA. We are roughly 30 miles from Boston towers and I get all Boston in great with just a Zenith Silver Sensor. Since CC is only two miles from us, I'm willing to give the 3079 a chance and return it if needed. I have DVE and all the SM items posted in this topic so I will certainly give this set some time and adjustments.

Dad called this morning actually asking me about this set and commenting that he really liked it. CC is now offering the Sammy 3079 with HTB38 for $999. He wants a new avr and he is interested in this combo. Not sure if this HTB would work for me.

So anyway, I'm off to CC now to check it out. If it looks good I'll bring Dad tomorrow to make a purchase. I would today but on Sunday his schedule is full NASCAR.

Thanks for the great info here AVS members!
post #639 of 2843 Old 02-19-2006, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The whole missing QAM tuner out of the Sammy line is a bit weird. There's a Samsung outlet near me and I'd get a Dynaflat 3076 (the last non Slim version) but without QAM I'm hesitant. In the long run even if you only have analog cable now you'd want to have a QAM tuner so you can avoid having to rent an STB later (when eventually cable companies turn off the analog feed).

For the folks who are in the market now, wait till next month when a clearer picture should emerge of what models will be available - all of which should have a ATSC/QAM tuner.

BB and CC should have new models on order and in their systems by now, right?
post #640 of 2843 Old 02-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc View Post

These pics show me at least two things. One is that you suffer from pincushion effect, and the other looks like overscan bounce.

Pincushion
I don't know what the SM adjustments are, but on my Sony I used PIN, VPIN, and MPIN to correct this.

Overscan Bounce
This is kinda two things. Overscan can be corrected in the SM with the help of a calibration DVD like Avia or DVE. The bounce part is usually resolved by getting Contrast under control. Your overscan shouldn't be more than about 5%, and Contrast should not be set higher than, say, about 45 on your set, and that would be with a high quality digital source like HD. For SD you don't want Contrast any higher than about 35-39. Be sure you're not using the "Vivid" picture mode - maybe it's not called that on a Samsung, but it's the mode where contrast and brightness, sharpness etc are all way overdriven for showing off the set on a bright showroom floor.

Samsung is shipping a replacement for my TX-R3081WH. Although the vertical bowing was quite bad, the horizontal geometry was almost perfect. I just hope I don't see these problems on the replacement set.
post #641 of 2843 Old 02-22-2006, 08:46 AM

Those of you with some capability for displaying HD transport streams on your slimfit, I would be very interested in hearing your observations from playing two particular test clips.

http://www.w6rz.net/vertrez1080.zip 1,2,3, and 4 pixel strips at 1080i
http://www.w6rz.net/vertpix2.zip full screen 2 pixel strip at 1080i

These are from a collection avsforum member dr1394 made available here

Thanks
post #642 of 2843 Old 02-22-2006, 02:52 PM

I saw someone mention playing with the settings to get the TV looking its best. Does anyone have suggestions on what the best settings are?
post #643 of 2843 Old 02-22-2006, 03:41 PM

First post here. I'm going to pick the SlimFit up at a future shop here tonight. I've read through this forum twice now and I guess we'll see. My last tv had terrible geometry problems so this may be an improvement. We'll see tonight and I'll post what a little review. Apparently the 79 model I'm getting is brand new per the sales person but who knows. BTW, this forums INSANE knowledge got me a job offer at a retailer in town here so regardless of the set thanks for all the help you guys diddn't know you were giving me.

- Bill
post #644 of 2843 Old 02-22-2006, 06:38 PM

643 posts in this thread, 93% of them are discussing the really bad geometry issues with the slimfit's and people reading this are still considering buying one. (For extremely high prices too!)

For anybody that does pick one up, I wish you the best of luck with the purchase. I truly hope you get one that you're happy with. If you feel any doubt about the set after you get it into your house, do yourself a favor and bring it back ASAP.

I was lucky to have a manager at the store that was understanding of my situation with my set (Color Blotches and HORRIBLE geometry on 3079WH). Even though I was over two weeks past the 30 day return policy, he agreed to take the set back. I ended up getting the full 699 back plus the tax (no restocking fees) as a refund and not a store credit.

After having a DVE disc on the TV, I realize how much the geometry could be screwed up on a tube. For that reason alone, I am going with a panel set.... if I buy an LCD, I will stress over the blurring issues and for that reason, I am going with a plasma.

It has been a bitter sweet relationship with the Samsung. The HD pictures through cable are wonderful, however if there are any kinds of straight lines in the picture, that's when the geometry rears it's ugly head. I couldn't sit through a tv show or a movie without looking for distortion somewhere in the picture, if it was not the geometry stressing me out, it was the color blotches in the corner. The sad part is that I had a store tech come to my home and tell me that mine was one of the best one's (slimfit) that he's seen.

If you can afford the extra depth, look into the Sony 30xs955, apparently they're highly recommended and can "probably" be obtained for the same price that I paid for my slimfit.
post #645 of 2843 Old 02-23-2006, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1302 View Post

I saw someone mention playing with the settings to get the TV looking its best. Does anyone have suggestions on what the best settings are?

The settings depend on many, many factors. How bright is the room? What kind of signal are you watching (e.g. SD. HD, cable, OTA, Sat, etc)? What input and cable are you using?

If you take a stab at answering these then I can try to help.

Cheers!
post #646 of 2843 Old 02-23-2006, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_4D View Post

First post here. I'm going to pick the SlimFit up at a future shop here tonight. I've read through this forum twice now and I guess we'll see. My last tv had terrible geometry problems so this may be an improvement. We'll see tonight and I'll post what a little review. Apparently the 79 model I'm getting is brand new per the sales person but who knows. BTW, this forums INSANE knowledge got me a job offer at a retailer in town here so regardless of the set thanks for all the help you guys diddn't know you were giving me.

Congrats on your new set!

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

Please don't despair if you see some of the problems addressed in this thread. Nearly all of them are correctable - some 100% some less.
post #647 of 2843 Old 02-23-2006, 09:34 AM

Welcome fellow newbie! I have the same tv and had virtually no issues with my set at all. (79 series)

Give your tv like a week or so because I noticed, at least with my tv, that it looked better after a couple of days. Almost like it was breaking in or something. Everything looks fantastic on my tv now. (SD, HD, and DVD)

Enjoy your new set and pump these guys for information if you need help. They are good.
post #648 of 2843 Old 02-23-2006, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzone View Post

Welcome fellow newbie! I have the same tv and had virtually no issues with my set at all. (79 series)

Give your tv like a week or so because I noticed, at least with my tv, that it looked better after a couple of days. Almost like it was breaking in or something. Everything looks fantastic on my tv now. (SD, HD, and DVD)

Enjoy your new set and pump these guys for information if you need help. They are good.

This is excellent advice - wait a week or so.

I'm finding this to be the case with the majority of hd sets, especially Samsung. The other thing this helps with is getting familiar with the kinds of anomalies you can and cannot live with. My Samsung set has slight upward bowing on the very bottom of the tube, making "tickers" look awkward - but I find it just doesn't bother me enough to do anything. On the other hand, I found the set had a pincushion error and I did not like it - and ultimately fixed it in the service menu.

So, as deadzone says "give it a week."
post #649 of 2843 Old 02-23-2006, 10:55 AM

As deadzone has mentioned, give it some time Adam1302.

My dad has had his 79 since Monday. I too see the horz bowing in the middle of the screen and it is not that bad. Played around with the overscan this morning a bit in the service menu. (Yes - I wrote down the original settings.) Still need to tweak more but had to get back home for a mtg. That and I didn't take my copy of DVE with me.

I'll be working on it again later today.
post #650 of 2843 Old 02-23-2006, 02:17 PM

Well, looks like I will have to wait until Friday to get the set. Slight invintory problem but thats ok. On further investigation I have seen 4 different sets in my area since yesterday. I went on a pilgrimage to find every SlimFit I could find. Two were not very impressive, a lot of bowing and the picture was not great. The other two I saw both looked incredible. The first two bad ones were both at a Future Shop (Canadian Best Buy sort of) and had been on display since the set first came out. The last two I saw were both at Whacky Wheatleys wich is a smaller local chain and they just started carying them. They both looked outstanding. A little bit of bow on them but really not that bad. The picture was also far better. One thing about Wackys here in NB though, they keep their stores very dark and was told by the salesperson they do alot of tweaking on the sets to get them looking their best. Despite what has been said on this board, all very helpful by the way I feel very confident in my purchase. Future Shop has a return policy second to none and the service plan was too cheap to pass up. The No Lemmon policy is espeacialy nice in case I do get a bad one. I ordered Avia & DVE as well but I will take it slow. My dad has a dynaflat and it is outstanding, it was just too good a deal to pass up. (Also the wife was demanding LCD or plasma and I was not budging on crt) But again the good reviews on this set are outstanding so we know good sets are out there. Just gotta get my hands on one.

- Bill
post #651 of 2843 Old 02-23-2006, 02:47 PM

Also, disregard the horrid spelling, far to lazy to spell check.

- Bill
post #652 of 2843 Old 02-23-2006, 04:19 PM

I have one of these myself I got it at the end of January, haven't had a chance to calibrate the tv yet because I can not find a calibration disc in any store looks like I'm going to have to break down and order it online

I do have very slight bowing on the bottom and a tiny little bit on the one side, which i thought I could live with but my eye keeps going to them so I called up Samsung and they were really helpfull, they're going to be sending out a service technician to take care of it, and hopefully after that I will have a calibration disc to calibrate the tv with

stupid question here and kind of off topic but I've seen mention of calibrating each input? wouldn't changing the menus color and brightness and such settings apply those settings to every display?
post #653 of 2843 Old 02-23-2006, 08:57 PM

on my 3079 slimfit on either component input:

When its being fed 480i there is very noticible rainbow splotches on the right side of screen and brightness across the screen is also all screwed up. The left side dark, but right side is bright gray with the color splotching.

When its being fed 480p the rainbow is still there on the right side, but its not as bad, and the brightness across the screen looks ok.

At 720p/1080i the rainbow splotching is gone and brightness across the screen is ok. Picture is fine except for the usual Slimfit geometric distortion.

Does anyone know what could cause that? At 480 input resolutions I have splotches, but then not at 1080i input resolution.

And this doesn't happen at 480i into the S-Video inputs. There it looks fine, just like at 1080i into the component inputs.
post #654 of 2843 Old 02-24-2006, 05:47 PM

Well, I just got this set home and here are my quick thoughts:

First thing I did was bring up cnn to check on the bowing problem. When I finally opened my eyes I thought I might be dreaming. I was in many menus including the menu of a game that gave my Phillips an especially hard time, but no dice. Everything looked great. I put my nose right up against the screen and guess what? Barely noticable. Like, hardly at all. And I know how bad bowing can be. My Phillips was pretty bad.

Bowing aside, i messed with the custom settings per some instruction in this forum and was pleased with the pic I got. As I said I'm going to take it a little slow, and am eagerly awaiting a copy of DVE. SD looks really good, better than my Phillips did and I am getting an HD cable box next week so we'll see.(sweet deal with purchase of the set)

I put in LOTR ROTK and MY GOD. It. Was. Amazing. Looked VERY crisp.

And now for the XBOX360. COD2 looked 3 fricken D. I played a ton of this game on my phillips so I figured I would get the best comparison. I was very used to how this game was "supposed" to look. I can never go back now. I was a skeptic of not only this TV but of the merits of hd ass well. No longer will I doubt thee, HD.

It's like I've been reborn.

Now on to the cons.

I have noticed the purple splotches in the lower righthand corner but it is very faint and can only really be seen on a white background. People have had some success fixing this, or so I've read and it's not really something I'm worried about. Also, I fooled myself into thinking this thing may be a little lighter but as I knew deep in my heart it was not so. Still very heavy.

Now keep in mind I have only had this thing in my hands for about 3 hrs now, but my first impression is better than I could have hoped...the bowing is just not noticable. So basically I could not be happier.

I think I got a good one and I think this is probably the case most of the time. If you can find one from a place with a good return policy I think it would be very worthwile. But again, we'll see.

I will post again if anything changes for better or worse. Thanks again to everyone on this board for all your help.

- Bill
post #655 of 2843 Old 02-24-2006, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

What does CHECKSUM mean in the service menu? My tv is perfectly fine. I was just snooping around in the sm and was curious what it looked like and what was in it.
post #656 of 2843 Old 02-26-2006, 11:23 AM

I just bought the 27" version yesterday. Geometry is fine, but convergence is lousy! Red is a full "pixel" off to the left, and considering this TV is already only 800 CRT-pixels across, poor convergence places image sharpness firmly below standard definition TV.

I looked in the service menu, and could find nothing about convergence! Is there such an option?

What do you guys suggest? Call samsung, or just return it and buy an LCD instead?
I bought it to use in my bedroom, since CRTs do much better than LCDs in dark rooms, tuned for very low brightness.

I did break the box while unpacking the TV (this TV is so heavy for its size), will CC take it back anyway if it comes to that?
post #657 of 2843 Old 02-27-2006, 04:02 AM

I had the second SlimFit 3079 delivered today from Best Buy, The picture looks great like the other one, less geometry problem (first one was returned because of this), I am giving the set time to break in and I ordered AVIA on line, let's see what happens......noticed in this set a higher contrast than in the previous one...needed more time to adjust the image....in the service menu there is a date January 2006, I guess this set was manufactured or at least calibrated on that date
post #658 of 2843 Old 02-27-2006, 04:28 AM

I have the 27" Slimfit. I've just added the H-20 HD box from D*. I'm really impressed with the picture on my local OTA digital channels. While those channels look really rough on my 42" Sony GW, they look almost HD-like on the Slimfit. This D* / LG tuner rocks with 1080i.

Steve Smith
Bossier City, LA
post #659 of 2843 Old 02-28-2006, 09:53 AM

Well, looks like my honeymoon with this tv is over. I've noticed a few things.

1- This is the biggest problem I'm having and is absolutely driving me crazy. I am noticing a distortion in the middle of the set that runs from top to bottom. It's a grey/white line about half an inch thick. It is extremely noticable on black backgrounds but you can still see it on images with color. I thought I could live with it but I can't.

2-Those purple fricken blobs will not go away. I think they're getting bigger. I think they may hate me. It is something that is only really noticable on a white background but you can still see them on images with more colour.

It's disconcerting because the PQ was very good and I didn't have any geometry problems. I was so high on this set. Oh well, I'm going to give samsung a chance and will be exchanging this one for a new one at futureshop tomorrow. I will keep my hopes up but if it doesn't work out its on to the sony KV30HS420 for me. We'll se though.

Bill

- Bill
post #660 of 2843 Old 02-28-2006, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_4D View Post

...It's disconcerting because the PQ was very good and I didn't have any geometry problems. I was so high on this set. Oh well, I'm going to give samsung a chance and will be exchanging this one for a new one at futureshop tomorrow. I will keep my hopes up but if it doesn't work out its on to the sony KV30HS420 for me. We'll se though.

Bill

Just curious - did you change anything (other than picture mode away from Dynamic)?
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page