The Official Samsung SlimFit HDTV Thread... - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2843 Old 03-05-2006, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
........We are now five days into March..........Does anyone have an inside track into when (in March according to the press release from CES) Samsung will be releasing the new TX-S3082WH and TX-S3080WH? They haven't even posted the new stats on their website yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2843 Old 03-05-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc View Post

I am SO sorry for this outcome. I was hoping for much better news.

You made a point earlier that needs to be repeated:

"and by the way, for anyone who is bothered by some of the issues with this tv, call samsung! it was absolutely painless to have them schedule this guy to come out to my place. the representative i spoke with was very nice."

Samsung must be made aware of these problems by all buyers. Make noise, do whatever it takes to get them to pay attention. Samsung can make outstanding tvs, and we need to hold them to the level of quality of which they are capable.

i will continue to make noise with them, but i find it strange that NONE of the customer service reps i've spoken to have gotten calls about geometry issues on this tv (according to them). every store display set i've seen has these problems. hopefully, when i talk to the tier-2 tech tomorrow i can get him to be more forthcoming as i'm pretty sure all the reps i've dealt with this far have very limited technical knowledge of the tvs.
post #723 of 2843 Old 03-05-2006, 04:30 PM

I am new to this forum. Hello everyone! I want this T.V. Samsung TX-R3079WH. I am in love with the outward apperance but, there seems to be issues with it.

My needs are limited to viewing DVDs and PS2. I care not about cable nor satilite or broadcast T.V.

I plan on purchsing a new DVD HDMI output player with this T.V.

I have a question about the optical audio output on this set. Do I go from this to my reciever? does it retain the sound quality?

Thanks in advance for all of the communities help
post #724 of 2843 Old 03-05-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerhino View Post

I am new to this forum. Hello everyone! I want this T.V. Samsung TX-R3079WH. I am in love with the outward apperance but, there seems to be issues with it.

My needs are limited to viewing DVDs and PS2. I care not about cable nor satilite or broadcast T.V.

I have a question about the optical audio output on this set. Do I go from this to my reciever? does it retain the sound quality?

i have the 3079 and i wouldn't recommend it. i've seen sony 30" crt hdtv's with hdmi in for $800 at circuit city and best buy. i recommend you pick one of those up. sony, hands down, makes the nicest hdtv's on the market.

the 3079 is definitely a nice looking tv, but the geometry issues with this thing are absolutely terrible. i didn't realize some of the issues with my tv until i was out of my 30-day return period from best buy or else i would have returned it. in fact, i didn't know that tv's could have geometry issues (i remember thinking almost immediately after purchasing the tv that the volume box and bar were shaped funny, but at the time i didn't know that 'bowing' even existed...). between my set and display units i've checked at numerous retailers, i'm even skeptical of the people here claiming their sets have no geometry issues whatsoever...
post #725 of 2843 Old 03-06-2006, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ={}= View Post

i have the 3079 and i wouldn't recommend it. i've seen sony 30" crt hdtv's with hdmi in for $800 at circuit city and best buy. i recommend you pick one of those up. sony, hands down, makes the nicest hdtv's on the market.

the 3079 is definitely a nice looking tv, but the geometry issues with this thing are absolutely terrible. i didn't realize some of the issues with my tv until i was out of my 30-day return period from best buy or else i would have returned it. in fact, i didn't know that tv's could have geometry issues (i remember thinking almost immediately after purchasing the tv that the volume box and bar were shaped funny, but at the time i didn't know that 'bowing' even existed...). between my set and display units i've checked at numerous retailers, i'm even skeptical of the people here claiming their sets have no geometry issues whatsoever...

How far are you out of your return period? I ended up returning mine to the store I purchased it from about two to three weeks past the return period. I had a store tech come out and look at mine, he ended up telling me it was one of the best slimfit's that he had seen and said that the geometry issues I was having were acceptable for a slimfit.

I went back to the store (without the TV) and spoke with a manager about my situation. Explained that I could not deal with having a TV with such extreme acceptable defects and that I would get another set through them, they agreed to take it back without any hesitation.

Personally, in your situation, I would do the same. Go to best buy, speak with the manager, explain that you had a tech come to look at it and he couldn't fix it and that you would like to exchange it for a different set. If that doesn't work to your advantage, then I would keep hassling samsung about it.
post #726 of 2843 Old 03-06-2006, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs476 View Post

How far are you out of your return period? I ended up returning mine to the store I purchased it from about two to three weeks past the return period. I had a store tech come out and look at mine, he ended up telling me it was one of the best slimfit's that he had seen and said that the geometry issues I was having were acceptable for a slimfit.

I went back to the store (without the TV) and spoke with a manager about my situation. Explained that I could not deal with having a TV with such extreme acceptable defects and that I would get another set through them, they agreed to take it back without any hesitation.

Personally, in your situation, I would do the same. Go to best buy, speak with the manager, explain that you had a tech come to look at it and he couldn't fix it and that you would like to exchange it for a different set. If that doesn't work to your advantage, then I would keep hassling samsung about it.

i bought the tv in mid-december, so i'm approaching three months here. i doubt that best buy is going to take the tv back at this point. i think i'm better off fighting with samsung.
post #727 of 2843 Old 03-06-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ={}= View Post

i bought the tv in mid-december, so i'm approaching three months here. i doubt that best buy is going to take the tv back at this point. i think i'm better off fighting with samsung.

Yeah, that's pretty far back. You're probably doing the right thing with samsung then. Hopefully they can help you out.

After my experience, I am staying far far away from Samsung.

Best of luck.
post #728 of 2843 Old 03-06-2006, 02:02 PM

Smoke said:

i'm even skeptical of the people here claiming their sets have no geometry issues whatsoever...

So are you saying from one newbie to another that I am a liar? If you don't like the tv fine, keep your ranting that implies that I am knowingly deceiving this whole forum out of it at least. Thanks.

I'm a little skeptical of people who say these type of things that obviously didn't read the thread and try and fix the problems that they were having on their own through the service menu or with a Samsung tech through the warranty service. Guess what? Most tube tv's will have some type of geometry issues. None will be perfect - and perfection is very much subjective to the person who owns the item.
post #729 of 2843 Old 03-06-2006, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I would venture to say that "most" of the sets sold today have less problems that what we're reading about on the forums. Our forums represent a very small sub-set of the buying public. Besides those of us who are HD and HT hobbyists, I imagine the rest of those posting represent another sub-sub-set of buyers - those with problems looking for fixes.

I could be wrong, but I imagine most sets sold today are acceptable to their buyers. I realize the vast majority of buyers may not know what geometry problems are , and might not recognize such anomalies, but to them the sets are probably still acceptable.
post #730 of 2843 Old 03-06-2006, 08:12 PM

I just bought what will be my first HDTV.
Did my research, both internet and store visits.

Checked out LCD and CRT, as they were the only ones in my price range.
I didn't want smaller than my current TV, 27", so 30-32" it had to be, any bigger was too much $$ at this time.

Viewing LCD and CRT side by side, at the viewing distance I would be at home, the CRT's were much sharper, and generally a couple $100 cheaper than the LCD's.

Whittled down my choiced to a Sony 30" CRT (I think it was the KV30HS420) and the Samsung TX-R3080WH slimfit.
I've read a lot of reports in this forum about the 3079, and now the 3081, but didn't see much about the 3080.

Saw in person the Sony and the 3079 side by side at Best Buy.
Gave each of them a forearm lift, and the Sony (167#'s) didn't budge, but the 3079(120#'s) I was able to lift off the shelf, pro #1.
The 3079 has the speakers (which I won't even be using) on the side, making it a bit wider, and odd looking with the picture not going to the edges of the set, the 3080 has them on the bottom, so the screen goes right to the edge of the set, which IMHO looks much better, pro #2.

I went with the 3080, which was only available online, so I couldn't pick it up in person, it will be delivered in a couple weeks.

After making my decision, I saw the 3081 being discussed here, but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere yet, and a day late.

Since I am joe average viewer, perhaps I won't even notice the little things wrong with the Samsungs, any good reports on the TX-R3080WH?
Of course, I did a search, and the few mentions of it were "when is it coming out, how much will it be", no "I have it and it's great", or "I have it and it sucks"

Oh, checked out Best Buy.com today, and the 3080 isn't even on there anymore, only the 3079? and the 3081 hasn't materialized yet.

thanx

Jerry

I don't just watch HD-TV, I make it happen.
post #731 of 2843 Old 03-06-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzone View Post

Smoke said:

i'm even skeptical of the people here claiming their sets have no geometry issues whatsoever...

So are you saying from one newbie to another that I am a liar? If you don't like the tv fine, keep your ranting that implies that I am knowingly deceiving this whole forum out of it at least. Thanks.

I'm a little skeptical of people who say these type of things that obviously didn't read the thread and try and fix the problems that they were having on their own through the service menu or with a Samsung tech through the warranty service. Guess what? Most tube tv's will have some type of geometry issues. None will be perfect - and perfection is very much subjective to the person who owns the item.

first of all, i've attempted to fix the geometry issues in the sm myself and have had a samsung service rep look at the tv. you are the one who has not read the thread.

second of all, i'm not calling anyone a liar. i simply have not seen a single slimfit anywhere that has been free of serious geometry issues. that's why i used the word skeptical.

lastly, i spoke with samsung tier-2 tech support today and he admitted to the geometry issues with these tv's. however, he claimed that he just bought one for his parents and it was free of geometry issues. i will remain skeptical about this until i see one with my own eyes...
post #732 of 2843 Old 03-06-2006, 09:52 PM

Still no word yet on the 2006 Samsung models that I have found but I did spot the new slim LG at BestBuy. Hopefully this means the Samsung will be out before too much longer. I can't post links, but it shouldn't be hard to find the LG thread, where I'm having someone else post a picture.

Do we have good reason to believe some of the issues (magneto-blobs, perhaps even some geometry) will be fixed in the 2006 models?
post #733 of 2843 Old 03-07-2006, 05:34 AM

Jpaul - just as I was purchasing my Sammy SlimFit last Friday, Best Buy had just put the LG Super Slim on display! I was tempted to give it a look over, but my buddy there couldn't budge on the price ($945, i think it was) So I ended up taking the Samsung at $750.
When I got it home I was expecting the worst due to all the geometry complaints, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! I did a little tweaking through the service menu and I think I've reached a happy medium. My girl loves the set, the kids think it's the best for playing consoles on (excellent color, black levels, and resolution) Did I mention only $750?

by the way, when you are in the service mode, there is a node that lists a date (mine says Jan. 2006) I would imagine that refers to the firmware/ mfg. date, am I correct in assuming so?
post #734 of 2843 Old 03-07-2006, 06:39 AM

Yeah, $750 is a great price. I guess I figure the downward price pressure will continue as the 2006 models are rolled out, so I think I'll just wait and see what happens...either get the new model or get good savings on the old model. Anyway, good luck with the set. Let us know if you experience any annoyances in the next few days. Perhaps they have tweaked the manufacturing process for the better in the later builds of the television...I assume thats why you asked about the firmware date?
post #735 of 2843 Old 03-07-2006, 12:23 PM

2006 Slimfit models should start showing up at retail in April
post #736 of 2843 Old 03-07-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerhino View Post

Lonerhino,
if all that you're gonna do with your Samsung set is play console games and watch DVDs through HDMI (i recommend the Samsung HD-850 dvd player!) then I'd reccomend buying it.

One amazing trait I see from this tv is that it makes even old games look great! I was playing Metal Slug 3 (which normally looks like a pixelly mess on my LCD monitor) but is dramatically improved on the SlimFit! Nothing beats a CRT for console gaming!

As for audio, I run my optical cables (PS2, xbox) to A/V receiver, all the other consoles are routed to the Samsung.
post #737 of 2843 Old 03-07-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post

April? Oh no! Ah well, I guess I've been without TV for six months, one more won't hurt. Where did you come by this information. Thanks, by the way, I've been scouring the internet every day so this news will at least save some time.
post #738 of 2843 Old 03-08-2006, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citykids View Post

Lonerhino,
if all that you're gonna do with your Samsung set is play console games and watch DVDs through HDMI (i recommend the Samsung HD-850 dvd player!) then I'd reccomend buying it.

One amazing trait I see from this tv is that it makes even old games look great! I was playing Metal Slug 3 (which normally looks like a pixelly mess on my LCD monitor) but is dramatically improved on the SlimFit! Nothing beats a CRT for console gaming!

As for audio, I run my optical cables (PS2, xbox) to A/V receiver, all the other consoles are routed to the Samsung.

I strongly urge folks to reconsider any HD-850 dvd player purchases. I purchased this player last May when it first came out and returned it quickly. It was pretty good for "resolution" but it crushed blacks badly, and you could see little to no detail in dim or dark scenes.

Just my opinion, but I'd aviod this player. I settled on the Oppo player and am more than satisfied. This is one outstanding player and the value is incredible. I ran the HQV Benchmark DVD on the Oppo player and found that it passed about 95% of the tests with flying colors. Standard PS players failed these tests miserably, as do the video processors in most tvs.
post #739 of 2843 Old 03-08-2006, 10:12 PM

Hello Everyone. My nephew purchased the Model 79 SlimFit today at Circuit City. I had warned him about the very slight bowing on text crawls, in the lower center of the screen, but since he liked the quality of the picture better than any model Sony etc, he purchased it anyway. He lives 30 to 40 miles from town, with normal rabbit ears he gets great HDTV reception. We played 8 different XBox 360 games, COD2, DOA4, PGR4, Tiger Woods, Full Auto, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero and Condeemed. The built in speakers are very good for TV ones. The SlimFit fit in the back seat of his car, we got it up the stairs and it fit on his small TV stand. A very good buy for HDTV and XBox 360 Gaming. My guess new technology, that there are simply a higher percentage of defective SlimFit tubes out there. We looked at about a dozen display models in difference stores. Some did look terrible but most had a bright, crystal clear beautiful HD picture. Non HD picture looked very good also. Worth trying to see if you like the SlimFit. Just get it from somewhere you can reture it if you get a Lemon.
post #740 of 2843 Old 03-10-2006, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

All four corners. Mine to. It was a slight purpleish rainbow effects in all 4 corners. Like, I said. Extremely slight. But, heres the kicker. I thought my friend was nuts when he told me this. But, I would turn on the tv from the tv itself. He told me not to do that. It gets static electricity. I thought he was insane. Told me to unplug it and turn it on with the remote from now on. Problem solved. Weird. And, before this. I tried the unplugging deal. But, once again. It would come back. Because, I would never use the remote. Since using the remote. Its completely gone. I did get that big purple spot as well in the left bottom corner. Just a few days ago. It was from moving the tv. I moved it somewhere else and its gone. Other than these 2 little annoying problems. The tv is a gem. The picture is jaw dropping and its performed great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_4D View Post

Try unplugging the set for a while then plugging it back in. I and a few other people had this same problem (mine were in all four corners). Doing this will deguass your set. I had to try it a few times but it worked like a charm

post #741 of 2843 Old 03-10-2006, 03:29 PM

[quote=KoRn]I would turn on the tv from the tv itself. He told me not to do that. It gets static electricity. I thought he was insane. Told me to unplug it and turn it on with the remote from now on. Problem solved. I did get that big purple spot as well in the left bottom corner. Just a few days ago. It was from moving the tv.

So what do you suggest if I want to clean the dust off of the t.v.? Use the remote? Even the most gentle rubbing with a lint free cloth or using a can of compressed air, would create tons more static than simply touching the power button...I have always used the on the t.v. set power button to power it up or down, and that would be a hard habit for me to break.... Never touch the t.v. again. I am seriously looking to puchase this set and I know my friends will be attracted to it's sleek and unique design. They will simply want to touch it. I don't want to have to shout out, "DON'T TOUCH IT!" "Back away from the new t.v." I don't need to lose the few friends I have over this issue.

Just something to think about.
post #742 of 2843 Old 03-10-2006, 04:03 PM

The Samsung 3079 is complete trash. It looks good on paper, with plenty of inputs, digital sound, and a tuner, but that's all it has going for it.

It seems completely incapbale of creating straight vertical or horizontal lines. I've tried resolving the geometry issues in the service menu (mute-1-8-2-power), but to no avail.

Standard 480i signals look particularly terrible on this tv, and surprisingly 1080i doesn't look that much better than a standard signal on a standard tv.

I tried cleaning the front of the TV with some alcohol, which is what I usually use with electronics because it evaporates quickly if spilled, usually not resulting in any damage. The paint on the front of the TV is so cheap, it actually started running.

The tv sometimes produces a burning smell if left on for too long.

Needless to say, I expected more from Samsung. Was this made using slave labor or something? The quality is horrible.

Unfortunately, I got this as an open box. I should have known better and done some research online first. Luckily it was for almost half MSRP ($600), but even still, I feel cheated.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the TV since it's heavy as hell and I can't take it back. Guess I'll probably sell it to some poor sap and try to get most of my money back. It's either that or the dumpster. This TV is just that crappy.
post #743 of 2843 Old 03-11-2006, 12:06 PM
qip

Finally after a month for J&R to restock the 3080 i finally was able to pick it up today....and no geometry issues at all...went to cnn and other ticker channels, all were straight and flat end to end beautiful.. sd channels had gray bars and i couldnt zoom more in 16:9 format but my hd cable box from cablevision has stretch options so i put the stretch option on and all sd channels now can fill the screen pretty nice....this tv is a beauty....my one boggle was when i had to pick this beast up and put it on my stand which is almost 4ft high and this thing wheighs a ton its hard to get a good handle for grip on this beast
post #744 of 2843 Old 03-11-2006, 01:27 PM

Okay this is my first post here and I wish I had seen this b4 I had the misfortune of buying this t.v. I have the 3079 and I couldnt be more dissapointed. I got my first set on dec 20 and immediately noticed the worst geometry problem ive ever seen! I knew they all had a bit of this problem and had seen a few of the 3079 tvs with a slight problem but my first one was out by half an inch from middle of screen to the edge. I returned this one and had to wait for a new one which arrived on jan 8. This one was way better on the geometry issue but had a much worse problem that I didnt notice for a few weeks and therefore was after my 30 day return period. The problem was after about 2 hours of the tv being on the entire right side of the screen starts to yellow and looks like its nicotene stained. It looks worst with a white background i.e. hockey or skiing. Eventhough I bought the 5 year warranty from future shop they said after the first 30 days its samsungs problem for the first year. I contacted samsung who sent out a repair guy and he tells me instantly that I have a faulty tube. The repair guy and I spend 3 weeks trying to get samsung to give us a straight answer on what to do and they finally decided this week I have to send it back to them so they can look at it and "decide " if its bad enough to warrant a new one. So now I get to go 4-6 weeks without a tv and there is no guarantee they are gonna make me happy in the end. I made samsung aware that I will never buy any of there products again and that I will be sure to tell all of this horrible service.
post #745 of 2843 Old 03-11-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post

so close yet so far
post #746 of 2843 Old 03-12-2006, 08:37 AM

I can wait untill April too... hope they'll fix the geometry problems!
post #747 of 2843 Old 03-12-2006, 09:05 AM

Hello, I just purchased the TX-R3080WH and it makes a loud noise on power-up, but only when it's been off for a while. It'll also do it if I unplug it, then plug it back in.

I've read through this thread and saw a few posts referring to this indirectly, impying it's normal degaussing on power-up, but nothing real specific. I also understand degaussing and that these TVs automaticaly degauss on power-up (according to Samsung's website), but is it supposed to be that loud? I mean it kind of scared me at first as I wasn't expecting it. My parents have the 27" slim fit and theirs did the same thing, they took it back and the new one isn't as loud. Otherwise the TV is great, no geometry issues, just this loud buzz.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should return it and get a new one or just live with it, any help is appreciated.
post #748 of 2843 Old 03-12-2006, 09:27 AM
qip

Quote:
Originally Posted by otamywy View Post

Hello, I just purchased the TX-R3080WH and it makes a loud noise on power-up, but only when it's been off for a while. It'll also do it if I unplug it, then plug it back in.

I've read through this thread and saw a few posts referring to this indirectly, impying it's normal degaussing on power-up, but nothing real specific. I also understand degaussing and that these TVs automaticaly degauss on power-up (according to Samsung's website), but is it supposed to be that loud? I mean it kind of scared me at first as I wasn't expecting it. My parents have the 27" slim fit and theirs did the same thing, they took it back and the new one isn't as loud. Otherwise the TV is great, no geometry issues, just this loud buzz.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should return it and get a new one or just live with it, any help is appreciated.

if i were you KEEP IT, dont risk it, you have no geometry issues ..if you exchange it and get one with no loud power up but geometry issues are visible you will kill yourself lol....the only thing i hear thats noticeable is the melody tone when powering on or off.......one thing do you have the a/v jacks on the left side of your 3080 like this
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Jes5rdJ...&display=L#Tab

because i dont, i have it behind on that side though like this http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Jes5rdJ...&display=L#Tab
post #749 of 2843 Old 03-12-2006, 09:32 AM

[quote=qip]one thing do you have the a/v jacks on the left side of your 3080 like this because i dont, i have it behind on that side though like this[quote]

Mine is the same as yours, on that side but more towards the back. Like the second picture.
post #750 of 2843 Old 03-12-2006, 10:54 AM

I revise my previous statement, I do have geometry issues (I just bought the TV last night, so I'm still tinkering). I turned on ESPN and the bottom ticker does bow up slightly in the middle. It is very slight and I could live with it, but combine it with the loud power up noise and I've decided to return the TV.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page