The Official Samsung SlimFit HDTV Thread... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2843 Old 07-03-2005, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I have calibrated with Avia on my dvd player with component cables, then what is the best way to calibrate the HD signal that I am receiving via a set top antenna? Can I just transfer the settings that I have acheived thru component over to the HD side and it will suffice?

Also, what is the setting in the service menu that people are using to eliminate the red push? I would like to see some other peoples settings with the Slimfit. Anyone care to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2843 Old 07-03-2005, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlafl View Post

...the image displayed is always 1080i since that is the native resolution. however, the only time you are actually watching a true 1080i image is when you are viewing an hd source, either from OTA or STB. if your dvd player, game system or STB is sending a 480i/480p signal to the tv, then this signal will be upconverted by the tv to 1080i...obviously, you will see the difference between 480i/480p and true 1080i or 720p upconvert....

All Samsung HD tube sets have two native resolutions, 480p & 1080i. DVDs played with this set can, and probably should, be displayed in 480p, the "native resolution" of the disc, as well as the tv. Incoming SD signals are automatically reformatted to 480p depending on your selections. Not all signals are converted to 1080i.
post #93 of 2843 Old 07-04-2005, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Every CRT HDTV I've seen only does 480p (31.5kHz) and 1080i (33.8kHz) as their native resolutions.

I believe only a 720p (45.0kHz) signal is upconverted to 1080i, not 480i or 480p
post #94 of 2843 Old 07-04-2005, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congee View Post

...Someone mentioned to me that although this TV has an HDTV Tuner built-in, I still would not be able to pick up OTA signals right out of the box. Is this true? I may have been mislead by the salesperson when they told me that I can watch HD signals right out of the box without any further investments (an HD antenna or something?!?!)...

Congee,

Just like with the old tv's, you still need an antenna. That may not have been mentioned because it's fairly basic, and the salesperson may have assumed you had one.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but go to http://www.antennaweb.org, enter the required fields, and you'll see which digital stations you can pick-up with an antenna from your location.

Cheers!
post #95 of 2843 Old 07-04-2005, 06:28 PM

The Samsung SlimFit HDTV could play PAL DVDs?
post #96 of 2843 Old 07-04-2005, 08:53 PM

Probably not, but you never know.

It will definitely not play them using the composite video or s-video inputs, but it might on the component or hdmi inputs. There wasn't any detail in the user's manual that said yes or no, but the mains voltage is specified as 110-120VAC 50/60Hz, so you never know.

But I has a similar question when I was interested in the Sharp Aquos TV, and as nobody could tell me, I ended up testing it at a dealer with both a PAL VCR and a PAL DVD player. Interestingly, the 30" and 37" models would not play PAL, but a smaller one (I forget which) did!

But that's Sharp and this is Samsung, which may be significant, since my Samsung DVD player (manufactured for and sold in the US) plays PAL DVDs (as long as the region code is 0 or 1, of course).

So, again, probably not, but short of someone who as actually tried it (or a call or email to Samsung support), there's no way to know for sure.

x
post #97 of 2843 Old 07-05-2005, 06:09 PM

Noone tried PAL DVDs on this TV?
post #98 of 2843 Old 07-05-2005, 06:11 PM

Has anyone who purchased this television also purchased an upconvert DVD player. I just purchased a Denon DVD-1910 to go along with this TV, and I can see no difference between my non progressive scan sony and this DVD player hooked up via HDMI though DVI on DVD player. Just wondering so I can decide whether to return it. Also, Does anyone think that upconverting is worth doing now or waiting a couple of years to get a high def DVD player when they are more affordable. Thanks.

I am happy with my purchase of this TV. THe over the air broadcasts are incredible when they come in.
post #99 of 2843 Old 07-05-2005, 06:16 PM

----
post #100 of 2843 Old 07-05-2005, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I got my self a Samsung TXR-26" TV. It's not the slimfit, but the model line is the same so rather than start a new thread I was hoping I could get some assistance fixing some of the things that have been talked about in here.

Has anyone gotten comfortable with the service menu and could help me fix a couple things?

-First thing is the geometry/push that's in the bottom right corner.

-And the second thing I'd like to do is reduce the overscan.

-Then I guess whatever picture settings can be taken
post #101 of 2843 Old 07-06-2005, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBS77 View Post

Has anyone who purchased this television also purchased an upconvert DVD player. I just purchased a Denon DVD-1910 to go along with this TV, and I can see no difference between my non progressive scan sony and this DVD player hooked up via HDMI though DVI on DVD player. Just wondering so I can decide whether to return it. Also, Does anyone think that upconverting is worth doing now or waiting a couple of years to get a high def DVD player when they are more affordable. Thanks.

I am happy with my purchase of this TV. THe over the air broadcasts are incredible when they come in.

Not with this set, but I did get an upconversion player with my Sony HD set. Not only was it not better than a standard PS player, but the PQ was actually worse. I'm sticking with my current player over component cables until the "real" HD DVD players come out.
post #102 of 2843 Old 07-06-2005, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunktify View Post

The technician came but didn't have the manual with him (apparently the woman who took my call didn't udnerstand my problem). Anyway, he's do back sometime in the next week so I'll keep you posted.

Did the technician tune your TV to any success? I recently purchased the TV and made the cardinal sin of messing with the service menu without writing down the factory settings. Can you or anyone share your Geometry settings with me? I would like to take an average of people's settings to try and get a good grasp of where my TV was before I started messing with it. I'm a dumb ass. I have a tech coming this Friday also, I'll let people know how that goes. Any Geometry setting would be greatly appreciated though. (H-AMP, H-SHIFT, etc...) Thanks to anyone that could throw me a bone here.
post #103 of 2843 Old 07-06-2005, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by modr0010 View Post

Did the technician tune your TV to any success? I recently purchased the TV and made the cardinal sin of messing with the service menu without writing down the factory settings. Can you or anyone share your Geometry settings with me? I would like to take an average of people's settings to try and get a good grasp of where my TV was before I started messing with it. I'm a dumb ass. I have a tech coming this Friday also, I'll let people know how that goes. Any Geometry setting would be greatly appreciated though. (H-AMP, H-SHIFT, etc...) Thanks to anyone that could throw me a bone here.

modr0010,

You're in a tough spot. FWIW, I am sharing the full SM settings for a previous Samsung 30" widescreen set. The SM may be a little different but you'll get the drift.

Good Luck! http://www.streamsofdata.com/hdtv/txn3075whf/index.html
post #104 of 2843 Old 07-06-2005, 10:35 AM

Well....the technician has never called me back. He was apparently waiting for something from Samsung. I am selling the TV to a friend and am going to get the Sony KD30XS955. It's a bit more money, but I really want a TV I can enjoy.
post #105 of 2843 Old 07-06-2005, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I have Factory Settings for the 26" TXR model, not a slim fit, but pretty new and same line.

Sounds like all you need is the deflection menu:

Deflection Default
V-AMP 33
V-SHIFT 21
H-AMP 34
H-SHIFT 18
V-LIN 5
UP-LIN 0
LOW-LIN 2
V-SC 4
H-PAR 20
UP-COR 39
LOW-COR 35
H-TRA 39
BOW 26
ANGLE 28
V-POSITION 32
Up UC6 0
Lo UC6 0
CXA LEFT BLK 40
CXA RIGHT BLK 25
HDMI_HS_1080i 18
HDMI_HS_720p 18
HDMI_HS_480p 18
post #106 of 2843 Old 07-06-2005, 03:32 PM

I appreciate your help, I have a list of Retail store TV's to vistit to try and fix my mistake. Does anyone know if a technician will be able to tell if a service menu was tampered with? I'm hoping it doesn't void my warranty. I've definately learned my lesson, hopefully it doesn't get too expensive.

I loved the TV before I started reading this thread. I think I could have lived with the hour glass shape. But I definately saw the exact same things other people saw, an hour glass shape on the sides, and an upwards bow on the bottom of the screen (only noticeable when tickers, lines, or menus are shown).

Does anyone know a good place to purchase the service manual?
post #107 of 2843 Old 07-06-2005, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoak View Post

The HDMI connection worked like a charm for me. There are several things to be wary of however. For one, not all cable systems have pushed out software that support the HDMI output in the 8300hd. You'll have to check with your cable provider. Also, I did a test to see the difference between component and HDMI (the difference was miniminal by the way). When I tried to go back to HDMI, the box kept component as its default, so I had to unplug and reboot the box. So far, I'm happy with the HDMI connection and the 8300hd. I just want to get my DVD issue resolved.

My Cox cable SA8300HD outputs the video and audio signals on the HDMI interface. The problem is that the SlimFit does not handshake properly the HDCP protocol with the SA8300HD to keep receiving the HDMI signal after a TV shutdown.

Try this: keeping the SlimFit selected at the HDMI interface, shut down the TV, wait 5 minutes and power up the TV again.

Is the HDMI interface active or do you get the HDCP error message on the component video line?

What do you mean "the box kept component as its default"?
post #108 of 2843 Old 07-06-2005, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just a question to those who own the TV.

Is the picture quality sharp through the component inputs and are the side speakers crap or do they output good sound for in-built speakers?

Is there a big difference between a 480p image and 1080i image on this TV?

How do low resolutions like 240p look?

Also, sitting 6 to 8ft away from the screen, would an individiual notice a difference in the picture quality when comparing the SlimFit to Sony's XBR960?
post #109 of 2843 Old 07-06-2005, 05:32 PM

I own this TV but am trading it in for the Sony KD30XS955. The Slim-fit has horrible geometry problems. Lines ont eh screen are badly bowed so that you notice the distortion in any slow moving pan picture. Also, the text is bowed on the bottom, something I've noticed on every single slim fit I've seen in the stores. The Sony fine pitch tube offers far better resolution. The Samsung's vertical phosphorous lines are so far apart at the edges that it almost appears as if the image goes out of focus. The Sony XS series are being discontinued but offer the same tube as the XBR. They are so cheap, I would highly recomend getting one before there all gone. I just bought mine at the BB in NYC and the saleswoman said they only had 3 left. It was $1099 plus tax and delivery, around $1250 all together.

I should add that the geometry in the Sony is perfect. I'm very sensitive of it after staring at my slim fit. I couldn't find any discernible geometry issues in the Sony.
post #110 of 2843 Old 07-08-2005, 11:02 AM

I have had my slimfit for about 5 weeks now. On a few occassions when switching from svideo input (Dishnet satellite receiver) and Antenna mode for OTA HDTV viewing, the sound seems to get out of synch with the picture. I am not yet sure of the exact switching sequence that seems to induce it, but once it starts, I have to power off the set to get things back in synch.

Has anybody else with a slimfit seen anything like this?
post #111 of 2843 Old 07-08-2005, 11:15 AM

I do not see a wattage rating in the tech specs in slimfit manual. Since this is my first all digital television, I was thinking it would probably be a good idea to add a UPS to the mix to smooth out the occassional power sag. (I have had surge protection on all power and cable/satellite inputs always.) I usually use American Power Conversion (APC) units on all of my computer/server equipment. Knowing the wattage would help me size the correct model UPS.
post #112 of 2843 Old 07-10-2005, 12:31 PM

I have a Samsung Slimfit.
My tv makes a noise when this turn on. If the volume this below the 10 hear the noise.

Does anybody have this problem?
That is normal?

???
post #113 of 2843 Old 07-11-2005, 11:46 AM
SG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetye62 View Post

I am getting mine tomorrow.I was at CC at Rego Park, the pictures on all the tv were bad but at College Point,queens,It was good.
There is no way you can judge the picture quality from a store when the settings are all mess up and the guality of the signal sent through all the TV's.

I was thinking about getting the same TV.How do you like it so far.Thanks
post #114 of 2843 Old 07-11-2005, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno_max View Post

I have a Samsung Slimfit.
My tv makes a noise when this turn on. If the volume this below the 10 hear the noise.

Does anybody have this problem?
That is normal?

???

nuno_max:

Samsung has traditionally included a "melody" when turning on their sets. It's for when you use the option to have the set turn-on at a prescribed time to wake you up. There is a way to disable this. On my older Samsung set it's in the Sound settings, and is called Melody. If you have this setting, just turn it off.

Hope this helps.
post #115 of 2843 Old 07-11-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc View Post

nuno_max:

Samsung has traditionally included a "melody" when turning on their sets. It's for when you use the option to have the set turn-on at a prescribed time to wake you up. There is a way to disable this. On my older Samsung set it's in the Sound settings, and is called Melody. If you have this setting, just turn it off.

Hope this helps.

On the newer TVs, it has to be disabled through the service menu for some reason. It's under Video 1, the entry is called Melody; change the value all the down to 0 to turn it off completely.
post #116 of 2843 Old 07-11-2005, 02:17 PM

these geometry issues are strange...i've seen a total of 5 of these sets. none of them have had any geometry problems. at all. i bought one about 5 weeks ago. geometry was perfect. my work (game developer) bought 2 for here. no geometry problems and everyone loves it (you could say there's some video/pq nerds here). the 2 i've seen at Best Buy in Seattle (where i bought mine) had no geometry issues at all either. must be some bad batch you guys are getting. if you're looking into one of these, i highly recommend it. go take a look at them somewhere. i bought this to hold me over a few years until 1080p is more saturated. easily the best deal going
post #117 of 2843 Old 07-11-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeysk View Post

these geometry issues are strange...i've seen a total of 5 of these sets. none of them have had any geometry problems.

This is really good to hear. Perhaps the problems reported here were the exception, or perhaps there were some spotty QC problems that have been ironed out. The set is really a good product, and there's no reason (or excuse) for shipping units that haven't been adequately corrected.

The resolution, on the other hand, is a whole 'nother story, and that's what kept it from being a choice for me.

x
post #118 of 2843 Old 07-11-2005, 02:40 PM

Well...I'm not sure you know what you are looking for then. I've seen a number of these sets, bought one and sent it back and they ALL have serious geometry issues, most are worse than the basica Samsungs, but to be honest, I think Samsung in general has poor geometry compared to Sony.

I would highly advice against this TV considering how cheap the far superior Sony's are right now unless the external look is all you care about. The resolution is crap, I'd agree, there are also color splotches in the corner which come and go and the phosophorous mask is so coarse that images at the edges almost appear blurry because there is such a marked drop in resolution.
post #119 of 2843 Old 07-11-2005, 02:42 PM

Don';t Get It
post #120 of 2843 Old 07-11-2005, 02:49 PM

Phunktify- i'm pretty sure you're looking at some bad batch or something. i'm also fairly sure that i know what i'm looking for (i'm a 3d modeler). this is just my EXPERIENCE with 5 different sets. i have got to really checkout 3 very closely and i (nor anyone here) have noticed anything that you're talking about. i'm not saying it doesn't exist. sounds like some people have had similar issues. i'm just not one of them. it's not for lack of seeing or brand loyalty.

"there are also color splotches in the corner which come and go and the phosophorous mask is so coarse that images at the edges almost appear blurry because there is such a marked drop in resolution. "

haven't seen ANYTHING like this. like i said, if you're interested in this set, check it out.
i could of bought a Sony. the PQ looked better on the Samsung. had nothing to do with money.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page