Forum Jump: 

post #2491 of 2843 Old 01-10-2008, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

If nobody here has a TX-T2082, I understand. For those of you who have any kind of Samsung Slimfit TV, is the picture flickering on your TV??

For all of you who own a Slimfit, do any of you experience flickering? Also, do any of you know what the cause is and how I can go about fixing it?

The only noticeable flickering on the screen of my 2082 happens in one of these situations:
* HD 16:9 channel in wide view
* anything with very thin lines horizontially
* viewing anything from a PAL source

I never noticed any flickering in transitions between bright and dark scenes, but I do notice a faint rainbow band in the upper part of the screen during some dark scenes.

As for fixing it, it has a 480i screen resolution, so I just assumed the flickering due to the interlaced resolution.
There is an deinterlace option in the hidden system menu somewhere (power off the tv, push menu 1 8 2 power on the remote). Check to see if it's turned on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2843 Old 01-11-2008, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Louie, thank your very much for your response. Since you're the only one here with a 2082, you're my only hope for getting help. So I have a few questions:

1) Do you also notice flickering when watching DVDs on the Component mode?
2) If the flickering is normal because of the interlaced resolution, then why didn't my older CRTs flicker?
3) I was able to access the hidden service menu (the real code is mute 1 8 2 power), but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to adjust in order to change the deinterlace option. What do I change? I couldn't find any option that has the word 'deinterlace.'

Thank you in advance!!
post #2493 of 2843 Old 01-11-2008, 01:34 PM

Oh god, I f'ed up my TV. I followed some calibration ideas in the "Mute 2 7 1 Power" (whatever it is) menu and now its all distorted and I didn't write down the original settings.

I have the TXR30. 30" can someone please help me get it back to original?!
post #2494 of 2843 Old 01-11-2008, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow! You shouldn't have played around with the settings, especially without writing down the original settings first. I wish I can help you but I can't as I don't have a TXR30.

Those hidden service menu are complicated. There are so many things to calibrate, many of which I don't know what they are. This is why I'm asking Louie which of those adjusts the deinterlacer. Since I don't see the word 'deinterlace' anywhere on the menu, there must be some fancy word for it that I don't know.
post #2495 of 2843 Old 01-11-2008, 02:36 PM

I think there are a couple of reset options in the service menu. you might try that DarkNessBear
post #2496 of 2843 Old 01-11-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csowle1 View Post

I think there are a couple of reset options in the service menu. you might try that DarkNessBear

I could only find one, and all it does is reset all the TV settings. Not the deflection settings.

Is there another one?

And one more question, I want to upgrade to the Samsung 4671f.
What is a good selling price for the Samsung TX30? I've been selling it at 485. Is that good? Where do you guys sell your tv's when your done?
post #2497 of 2843 Old 01-11-2008, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, after playing around with my 2082 TV set, I finally found out what the cause is. Apparently, I have a backlight problem. I am sure of this because when lowered the contrast to 20, there was no flickering at all. Of course, that contrast is too low for me keep it that way. I just did it as a test and it seems like I ended up with a defective backlight. It's funny. I had this set for 3 months now and it has always flickered from Day 1. I guess it's just a matter of time until backlight stops working completely and then I'll have to buy another set. As for the warranty, I won't bother as my friend had a horrible experiece with those in the past. I just will not buy Samsung anymore.
post #2498 of 2843 Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 PM

crts dont use a backligth , the problem here is the power supply , i wonder if there any way to "upgrade" it , maybe better capacitors or something.
post #2499 of 2843 Old 01-11-2008, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospeed View Post

crts dont use a backligth , the problem here is the power supply , i wonder if there any way to "upgrade" it , maybe better capacitors or something.

Oh! Do you have the same flickering problem too?

It could be a power supply problem as louie seems to have the same issue. Now, it makes sense. When I lower the contrast to 20, the picture is much darker and uses less power, so there would be no flickering. When I increase the contrast to 80, which is what I use, then it uses more power, causing more flickering.

I just can't believe Samsung would make CRTs that have weak power supplies. My parents' 8 year old Samsung TV is a CRT and doesn't have any weak power supply. I guess Samsung only has this problem with newer CRTs.

Now, another question. Is there anyway to upgrade the power supply?? I know Ambam said something about getting an external inline voltage regulator. I wonder if that would work.
post #2500 of 2843 Old 01-12-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, guys - thanks for all your replies and comments. Love my 2793. Bought it mainly because I was sick of SD looking bad on my high-end LCD - but now I find myself using it to watch all content.

This board has solved almost all my questions but I have two final ones remaining:

1. I bought my set brand new. How much should I/everyone consider burn-in to be a problem with these sets? I recognize that Samsung notes it is an issue. But to what extremes should we go to combating it and how? I understand the first 100 hours for a new set are the most important/sensitive. Can I completely relax after that? Currently I haven't even watched a full movie (that displays black bars on the top or side) without stopping several times along the way to turn everything off and let it rest for a bit. Is that too crazy or what? How should I worry about and generally handle the concern of burn-in with this set?

2. I noticed in one or two movies that I watched (mainly Rush Hour 3 on Blu-ray) that at the top of the top "black bar" with the TV displaying 2:40 ratio content - that just under that black bar is like a very thin but noticeable layer of like greenish color or something. It is like a hazy extra border at the very top of the screen or something that can be very distracting if you are looking for it. I don't notice on other movies that much though... - Has anybody seen this kind of thing? Is it an issue or is it nothing? And it could probably just be the transfer of the particular disc, right? Or what?

Thanks...
post #2501 of 2843 Old 01-13-2008, 09:09 PM

OK. I found out how to get into the service menu, and tweaked a few
things .. but when I was done there was no obvious way to get out.

So I just turned the TV off. The new settings seem to have held
but all of my channel info, and other customization was gone.

Is there a way to get out of service menu without reseting everything?

Is there any documentation for service mode? Most of the parameter
descriptions made sense but a few provided no idea what they were for.

This is a TXS-3082
post #2502 of 2843 Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 AM

Well the service man from Best Buy stopped by Friday. I still had the issue with horizontal line bowing - such as the ESPN ticker across the bottom of the screen is not a stright line; it is slightly curved. Also I wanted to ask why the HDMI black level option is never available even though I was connected to my HD cable box and HD DVD player with HDMI cables

The Best Buy visit was a waste of time. First he didn't remember the code to the service menu, then he didn't even know what the options in the service menu did. He just looked around the menus and tried to adjust a few settings to see what they do. I've already been doing that! All he managed to do was reset the line adjustments I had already made so I had to spend an hour to correct everything after he left. when asked about the HDMI black level option, he said my TV probably just didn't have that option available and it was a menu that was used by multiple TVs. While I could see that is a posibility I have my doubts because this TV is the top of the line in its model list and it does have HDMI connections.

What I've determined is that with a tube TV, you just can't get perfectly straight linearity, but you get a good picture and longevity for a lower price. With LCD or plasma, you can get perfect linearity and a lighter weight TV, but picture quality and grey scales are not as good unless you pay several times the amount that you pay for tube and life of the TV may not be as long.

So, does anyone know how to get the HDMI black level option to become available? I have tried connecting my HD cable box and HD DVD player through both of the HDMI ports and the HDMI black level option is always greyed out.

DarkNessBear - Sorry, I'm not sure what the reset options are on your TV, I have the TX-T3093WH
post #2503 of 2843 Old 01-15-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

There are still 2 questions that haven't been answered.

1) Is there any way to upgrade the power source of my 2082 CRT TV?
2) Is there any way I can turn off the deinterlacer on the hidden service menu? I already know the code, I just need to know what to adjust.

One of those 2 things is causing the flickering on my TV. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
post #2504 of 2843 Old 01-15-2008, 05:31 PM

Ah, you guys sure there is no reset for the: TX-R3079WH??? Or does anyone have the out of the box specs?

Ugh, I got it to look fine when watching widescreen. But if the camera pans you can see it bubble in the middle. And in 4:3 (shrinks the screen) you can see the sides are messed up.
post #2505 of 2843 Old 01-16-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prossi View Post

Is there a way to get out of service menu without reseting everything?

No. It doesn't look like there is a way to keep existing settings after going into service mode.

Quote:

2) Is there any way I can turn off the deinterlacer on the hidden service menu? I already know the code, I just need to know what to adjust.

It's under "Video Adjust 5" in "De Interlace"
0 = on
1 = off

The picture looks much worse with the deinterlacer off in my opinion. It sounds more and more like you have a unique problem.
post #2506 of 2843 Old 01-16-2008, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie826 View Post

No. It doesn't look like there is a way to keep existing settings after going into service mode.

Yeah, whenever you get out of the service menus, it resets all your calibration settings. So, you have to calibrate the set all over again. Luckily, I remember my settings. It's annoying though. It keeps on setting everything back on 'Dynamic' which is a disgrace. The picture is sooo bright and the colors are terrible.

Quote:

It's under "Video Adjust 5" in "De Interlace"
0 = on
1 = off

The picture looks much worse with the deinterlacer off in my opinion. It sounds more and more like you have a unique problem.

There is no Video Adjust 5. All I have is Video Adjust 1, Video Adjust 2, Video Adjust 3, Video Adjust DTV, Video Adjust Comp, and Video Adjust Movie. I looked on all of those and there is no "De Interlace" anywhere.

Whether my problem is unique or not, I'm not sure. But you said you experience some flickering on some sources like when watching 16:9 HD channels and I definitely see flickering there. But that same flickering is also present when watching DVDs in Component mode as well. I see a little flickering in the AV source as well, but not as bad.
post #2507 of 2843 Old 01-16-2008, 12:55 PM

Well, as a first post, here goes:

I recently bought a TX-T3093WH. I'm very impressed with it. I find it has a great picture, and I'm happy with CRT. When I purchased it, the unit came in SHOP mode. So, I went in to change it to HOME mode. Shortly thereafter, I saw some lines at the top of the screen. They were very fine, and after 10 min. of the unit being on, they would dissipate. Now, having been in the service menu before, I went in to see if there was anything I could do to fix it. FIRST MISTAKE: I did not write my settings down. I don't know why I didn't. I'm an audio semi-professional, and if I change a dial on an equalizer or change the gain on a preamp, I always make a note of it. For reasons unknown, I did not with the television. SECOND MISTAKE: I could not really make heads or tails from most of the abbreviations, but there was one called LINE CORRECTION. This seemed to be what I was looking for, and I adjusted it. It seemed to do nothing. So then I went back and found the DEFLECTION menu. I adjusted that...

After finding that I had seriously and negatively affected the geometry of my television, I decided to look here. Immediately I read the hundreds of warnings regarding writing your settings down, and that there is no factory reset, as each unit is unique. I read how adjusting the LINE CORRECTION was one of the worst things I could have done. I preceded to feel like an idiot for three days. I got online to read horror stories like mine. I looked at people's settings, and eventually decided that I should not mess with it more than I already have. I don't want to make it worse. So, I decided I will hold of on fixing it until I can get either a service manual (which I'm fully willing to pay for) or have a technician come to calibrate it.

So, does anyone know what I should ask about if calling a service place in regards to fixing the geometry problems on my screen? Does anyone know where I can obtain and/or purchase a service manual? (I did read in a previous post that these may not be available yet.) Last, but not least, is there any comprehensive guide to what the various options in the service menu actually do? I read the post regarding SONY SERVICE CODES, and found that to be rather helpful, although many of the abbreviations are different. I realize that some of this is repeated over and over again here. I just thought that if I never posted this, I would regret it. Furthermore, there may be something I don't know, and someone out there may know of something specific to the TX-T3093WH that could help me. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Leo.
post #2508 of 2843 Old 01-16-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:

There is no Video Adjust 5. All I have is Video Adjust 1, Video Adjust 2, Video Adjust 3, Video Adjust DTV, Video Adjust Comp, and Video Adjust Movie. I looked on all of those and there is no "De Interlace" anywhere.

Interesting. Sounds like different firmware for the same TV.
post #2509 of 2843 Old 01-16-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. Sounds like different firmware for the same TV.

Wow! That is interesting. I thought they were all the same.

My problem is indeed "unique" because the flickering is different depending on the source. While there is flickering on 16:9 HD channels, it's still not as pronounced and as frequent as in Component mode. The flickering is the most obvious in Component mode, it is less obvious in HD channels, then gets even less obvious in the AV and TV modes. Why the flickering is worse on some sources, I don't know. That's what makes it so odd. From what I read, a weak power source seems to be the most logical reason. Why I'm the only one who's experiencing this problem is a good question. But since I just discovered that Samsung has different firmwares for the same models, it could be that they installed different power sources as well, which means that some of them have better ones than others.

I've had this TV for 3 months now and the flickering hasn't gotten better nor worse. I guess the best thing to do is for me to ignore it. The only way to fix it is to have a better power source installed or possibly get a voltage regulator, which are both very costly.
post #2510 of 2843 Old 01-17-2008, 04:31 PM

I got a TX-T3093WH last month for $500 new and am very satisfied watching it with the standard picture mode. HD on this set is better than any LCD I've seen.

I picked up a Panasonic upconvert dvd player yesterday and I'm not sure about a few of the audio settings:

Audio:
PCM Output: Up to 48kHz or Up to 96kHz? I can't seem to find this specification in the tv manual, or anywhere for that matter.
Dolby Digital: Bitstream (default) or PCM
DTS: Bitstream (default) or PCM

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #2511 of 2843 Old 01-17-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicksterr View Post

I got a TX-T3093WH last month for $500 new and am very satisfied watching it with the standard picture mode. HD on this set is better than any LCD I've seen.

I picked up a Panasonic upconvert dvd player yesterday and I'm not sure about a few of the audio settings:

Audio:
PCM Output: Up to 48kHz or Up to 96kHz? I can't seem to find this specification in the tv manual, or anywhere for that matter.
Dolby Digital: Bitstream (default) or PCM
DTS: Bitstream (default) or PCM

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Those setting only apply if your DVD player is hooked up to a home theater system via the coaxial or optical outputs. If your DVD player is hooked up that way, then find out what your home theater system can handle by reading its instruction manual. If it can handle 96khz, then set it to that, but if you're not sure, then set it to 48khz to be on the safe side. Next, find out if it has a Dolby Digital and DTS decoder. If your home theater has those decoders, set them to Bitstream, and if not, then set it to PCM.

Hope that helped!
post #2512 of 2843 Old 01-17-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:

Those setting only apply if your DVD player is hooked up to a home theater system via the coaxial or optical outputs. If your DVD player is hooked up that way, then find out what your home theater system can handle by reading its instruction manual. If it can handle 96khz, then set it to that, but if you're not sure, then set it to 48khz to be on the safe side. Next, find out if it has a Dolby Digital and DTS decoder. If your home theater has those decoders, set them to Bitstream, and if not, then set it to PCM.

Hope that helped!

So, specifically, those settings only apply if I'm using a 3rd party audio system? I'm currently using the built-in tv speakers as they work quite well and produce vibrant sound w/the Samsung simulated SRS Surround Sound feature. I haven't been able to find any documentation on the two 10W tv speakers. Currently, the sampling rate is set to 48kHz with dolby digital and dts set to bitstream. Everything sounds great and haven't had and problems...

Thanks for the reply
post #2513 of 2843 Old 01-20-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Nicksterr,

Welcome to AVS.

I'm clearly am not familiar with your setup, but I would highly recommend getting a receiver and speakers to really give you a "home theater" experience.

TV speakers do not represent what you should be hearing.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #2514 of 2843 Old 01-20-2008, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Does anyone know what ever happened to the legendary waltchan?
post #2515 of 2843 Old 01-21-2008, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Its coming up on 2 years since he showed any activity here on the forums.
Maybe he is using a different member name now?

post #2516 of 2843 Old 01-21-2008, 09:21 PM

I think I am WAYYY off here, but I am trying this anyway.

I have a TX-R3079WH and I was bored and pulled out the instruction manual. Anyway, I noticed that I have a ATSC tuner. So doesn't that mean I could just plug in the cable, do a little setting stuff, and get me some HDTV?

I also noticed that when I auto tune the channels, "Signal Strength" is gray. So I can't check that. Why is that?

Or am I way off?

The Mole is here.
post #2517 of 2843 Old 01-22-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you can get HDTV over the air.

You'll need to attach an antenna though.

Home Depot sells some inexpensive ones for under $15.

Or you can always try a coat hanger.

post #2518 of 2843 Old 01-22-2008, 06:46 PM

I can plug my cable in and get them that way? Or is that what a QAM tuner is for?

I mean, I already get HD thru my cable box. I'm just curious.

The Mole is here.
post #2519 of 2843 Old 01-23-2008, 06:13 AM
qip

well its happening , the slimfit has started to make a high pitch squeal ,driving me nuts, the picture is fine but the noise is so annoying ...it did go away after long while but comes back...also noticed it did not make the loud pop when turning on ,just makes the squeal.....so for those who have had a tech come over did you guys have it covered under warranty or pay out of your pocket because my warranty was only for 1 year and im way beyond that so im not covered ...how much is this gonna cost me
post #2520 of 2843 Old 01-23-2008, 03:07 PM

So I rather naively tried to correct a red push problem on my tx-r3079wh by messing with the settings in the service menu, and long story short, really messed up my picture. Can anyone tell me the default video 1 settings?

Also, if anyone has noticed or knows how to correct the weird redness on peoples' faces that appears in inputs through component or hdmi cables, I'd love to hear if anyone has an idea to correct it. Thanks.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page