The Official Samsung SlimFit HDTV Thread... - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2851 of 2867 Old 08-25-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 17,511
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Can this discussion be contained to ONE thread?
Ratman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2852 of 2867 Old 08-25-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Floydage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHammock View Post
Well I looked through the first 10 pages of the CRT forum and I still haven't found an official thread for the Sony. But yes I do have this Samsung as well. My brother found it at a yard sale thinking that the 4:3 screen size would fix the glitch problem, but didn't. The Sony is widescreen. Apparently theyre both upscaling no matter the screen size and shape. So I found a few threads that were actually talking about resolution to post in. But thanks for the advice guys. If you happen to run across a better thread please let me know. Thanks.
Search function:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/search...rchid=66778946

34" version: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/search...rchid=66779402

And now the Samsung. I'd still be surprised if they're upscaling on on those inputs but I don't know that TV either (my Panasonic widescreen HD CRT doesn't, but there is a game mode that makes stuff look cruddy). Of course maybe they're doing something other than upscaling. Have you read the manuals?

Are you zooming the image? That'll amplify the crud. My friends with the DirecTV SD service - it would only output 4:3. So the wife insisted on the stretch aspect to fill their 16:9 screen claiming "that's how it's supposed to look." Drove me nuts to look at sideways-stretched images. I think it's suspicious you only have the problem with this service...

Floydage is offline  
post #2853 of 2867 Old 08-30-2015, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have one of the UK 720p Samsung slim ones and I found the PQ awful, picture is so dull and unsharp, I felt the same about a Samsung tv I owned from about 2001.

Its that blacks look gray more than anything, on the other hand my 21 inch Samsung SD tv from about 2004 blows every other tv out of the water to the point where people I know who are used to lcd tvs think the colours are over saturated.
dekaman is offline  
 
post #2854 of 2867 Old 12-06-2015, 04:51 PM
Newbie
 
EagerLearner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings,

I have a Samsung Model: TXS3082WHX/XAA Version: SA01 and the picture is quite good.

The problem is that when I watch t.v. (ex. sports) or play video games, the scoreboard or HUD is partially cut off.

I can't seem to find a way to fix this. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!
EagerLearner is offline  
post #2855 of 2867 Old 12-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
 
The Lizard King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My TX-T3092WH is slowly biting the dust. When warm, I can still watch TV, but the upper 1/4 of the screen is blurry. When cold upon initial startup, the whole damn screen is blurry. This has progressively gotten worse and worse over the past 3 years. Probably a bad capacitor or two. A local TV repairman told me that it would cost me $60 to get it fixed by him (if it can be fixed). I'm not sure it's worth that much.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a SONY Hi-Scan or Super Fine Pitch CRT TV, but my wife wants me to go with a 32" LED/LCD.

For now, I'll continue to watch "blurry vision" for the top 4-5" of the screen until I make up my mind.
The Lizard King is offline  
post #2856 of 2867 Old 12-19-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
justsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cost Benefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
My TX-T3092WH is slowly biting the dust. When warm, I can still watch TV, but the upper 1/4 of the screen is blurry. When cold upon initial startup, the whole damn screen is blurry. This has progressively gotten worse and worse over the past 3 years. Probably a bad capacitor or two. A local TV repairman told me that it would cost me $60 to get it fixed by him (if it can be fixed). I'm not sure it's worth that much.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a SONY Hi-Scan or Super Fine Pitch CRT TV, but my wife wants me to go with a 32" LED/LCD.

For now, I'll continue to watch "blurry vision" for the top 4-5" of the screen until I make up my mind.
I would recommend letting the Samsung set go. A 34" Sony fine dot CRT has incredible fidelity, but have you ever tried to move one of those? They are well over 200 pounds. And I have to wonder if they aren't demanding a premium price nowadays as collector's items, and soon to be antiques. A 32" LED backlit LCD set isn't a bad idea. However, I believe a 32" LCD set cannot fully resolve a 1920 x 1080 signal, because it can't display all the pixels. I believe you need at least a 40" screen to fully resolve 1920 x 1080. If Ratman is still out there, maybe he remembers. Now, nobody says a TV set is required to resolve all the lines delivered via the signal, but those on this forum are typically looking for high fidelity, so that's why I bring it up. If I was in the market for a small screen HD set (small meaning under 55"), I would go right to the LG OLED offerings, where you can get a 2015 or 2016 set for around $1,500. Incredible! I paid $1,499 for my 46" Samsung LCD HDTV years ago, and it was a high-end 850 series set. To think one can get an OLED panel of the same size for the same price blows my mind. Even more mind-blowing is the price of 50-55" LCD sets these days. Best of luck to you.
justsc is offline  
post #2857 of 2867 Old 12-21-2016, 09:05 AM
Senior Member
 
The Lizard King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc View Post
I would recommend letting the Samsung set go. A 34" Sony fine dot CRT has incredible fidelity, but have you ever tried to move one of those? They are well over 200 pounds. And I have to wonder if they aren't demanding a premium price nowadays as collector's items, and soon to be antiques. A 32" LED backlit LCD set isn't a bad idea. However, I believe a 32" LCD set cannot fully resolve a 1920 x 1080 signal, because it can't display all the pixels. I believe you need at least a 40" screen to fully resolve 1920 x 1080. If Ratman is still out there, maybe he remembers. Now, nobody says a TV set is required to resolve all the lines delivered via the signal, but those on this forum are typically looking for high fidelity, so that's why I bring it up. If I was in the market for a small screen HD set (small meaning under 55"), I would go right to the LG OLED offerings, where you can get a 2015 or 2016 set for around $1,500. Incredible! I paid $1,499 for my 46" Samsung LCD HDTV years ago, and it was a high-end 850 series set. To think one can get an OLED panel of the same size for the same price blows my mind. Even more mind-blowing is the price of 50-55" LCD sets these days. Best of luck to you.
Thanks for your input. Yes, I've moved two KD-36XS955 sets, which weigh a little more than the KD-34XBR960. It was a royal pain.

I either find a set that fits the hole in my entertainment center (maximum of 32" wide), or I scrap the whole thing and go with a significantly larger screen and figure out how to house my A/V receiver, Blu-ray player, and satellite receiver. Since I'm going to keep my entertainment center for the foreseeable future, I'm probably going to go with the Samsung UN32J5500AFXZA once the price drops back down to $250 at Best Buy. I can wait it out. If it turns out that I want something bigger, I'll worry about that then.
The Lizard King is offline  
post #2858 of 2867 Old 02-04-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Borneo Island
Posts: 2,869
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 225
The image on my display corners are seriously out of focus. Does anyone know which pot to adjust?
Skylinestar is offline  
post #2859 of 2867 Old 03-20-2017, 09:29 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just purchased a 27" Hd version of this TV. What are your thoughts for retro gaming on this set? I've been trying to find a Nec XM29 but to no avail...
CosmicE38 is offline  
post #2860 of 2867 Old 03-22-2017, 11:14 AM
Newbie
 
rubenswm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
Thanks for your input. Yes, I've moved two KD-36XS955 sets, which weigh a little more than the KD-34XBR960. It was a royal pain.

I either find a set that fits the hole in my entertainment center (maximum of 32" wide), or I scrap the whole thing and go with a significantly larger screen and figure out how to house my A/V receiver, Blu-ray player, and satellite receiver. Since I'm going to keep my entertainment center for the foreseeable future, I'm probably going to go with the Samsung UN32J5500AFXZA once the price drops back down to $250 at Best Buy. I can wait it out. If it turns out that I want something bigger, I'll worry about that then.
Hey Lizard King - the UN32J5500AFXZA is now $250 at best buy. I am curious how you decided on this specific model? I'm considering it as well for my office. Seems like an all around winner, except for some "motion blur" according to rtings.com .. not sure if that matters to you.
rubenswm is offline  
post #2861 of 2867 Old 03-22-2017, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
 
The Lizard King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenswm View Post
Hey Lizard King - the UN32J5500AFXZA is now $250 at best buy. I am curious how you decided on this specific model? I'm considering it as well for my office. Seems like an all around winner, except for some "motion blur" according to rtings.com .. not sure if that matters to you.
I've actually bought two of them since my last post -- one for $250 and the other for $240 (both purchased at BB). I like the TV a lot. I never thought that I would use the "Smart" capabilities of the set, but I do, especially streaming movies online. I don't see the motion blur like I would expect to with a 60 Hz refresh rate, but maybe my eyes aren't that sensitive to it. I do watch a lot of sports, though. I also like there are three HDMI inputs. Also, it turns out that the 3D comb filter for the composite input is excellent -- I connected it to my LaserDisc player, and the Snell & Wilcox 2 pattern produced no rainbows on the orb when it's standing still.

I would highly recommend this TV.
The Lizard King is offline  
post #2862 of 2867 Old 03-22-2017, 01:19 PM
Newbie
 
rubenswm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
I've actually bought two of them since my last post -- one for $250 and the other for $240 (both purchased at BB). I like the TV a lot. I never thought that I would use the "Smart" capabilities of the set, but I do, especially streaming movies online. I don't see the motion blur like I would expect to with a 60 Hz refresh rate, but maybe my eyes aren't that sensitive to it. I do watch a lot of sports, though. I also like there are three HDMI inputs. Also, it turns out that the 3D comb filter for the composite input is excellent -- I connected it to my LaserDisc player, and the Snell & Wilcox 2 pattern produced no rainbows on the orb when it's standing still.

I would highly recommend this TV.
Much appreciated. I saw somebody carrying one out at BB yesterday (he was very enthusiastic about this model), and decided to snag the last one here in Bellevue WA. I hear the smart TV even runs a flavor of linux (2015 smart tv).
rubenswm is offline  
post #2863 of 2867 Old 03-22-2017, 01:24 PM
Senior Member
 
The Lizard King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenswm View Post
Much appreciated. I saw somebody carrying one out at BB yesterday (he was very enthusiastic about this model), and decided to snag the last one here in Bellevue WA. I hear the smart TV even runs a flavor of linux (2015 smart tv).
It seems like every time the price goes down to $250, my local BB runs out of stock pretty quickly. When it's "on sale" for $280, it sits, and of course it sits when it's full price (which is now $300), too.

I think most people know that $280 is the "real" full price for this set.
The Lizard King is offline  
post #2864 of 2867 Old 03-22-2017, 01:29 PM
Newbie
 
rubenswm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
It seems like every time the price goes down to $250, my local BB runs out of stock pretty quickly. When it's "on sale" for $280, it sits, and of course it sits when it's full price (which is now $300), too.

I think most people know that $280 is the "real" full price for this set.
I believe it was running at $250 sometimes, maybe a year ago. Still seems like a terrific value today. Don't know a ton about the panel itself, but it looked great in person.
rubenswm is offline  
post #2865 of 2867 Old 03-22-2017, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
The Lizard King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenswm View Post
I believe it was running at $250 sometimes, maybe a year ago. Still seems like a terrific value today. Don't know a ton about the panel itself, but it looked great in person.
So, did you say that you bought one earlier?
The Lizard King is offline  
post #2866 of 2867 Old 03-22-2017, 01:37 PM
Newbie
 
rubenswm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
So, did you say that you bought one earlier?
Yup, last one at the BB in Bellevue WA. I saw it in person, then ordered via web to hold it, as I was on the fence. Following your positive review and my homework this AM, I'll follow through and physically grab it!
rubenswm is offline  
post #2867 of 2867 Old 03-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Senior Member
 
The Lizard King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenswm View Post
Yup, last one at the BB in Bellevue WA. I saw it in person, then ordered via web to hold it, as I was on the fence. Following your positive review and my homework this AM, I'll follow through and physically grab it!
Let us know what you think of it once you set it up and watch some programming with it.
The Lizard King is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off