LG 30FZ4D Would y'all go take a look? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 116 Old 07-31-2005, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What are some service menu adjustments that have improved PQ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 116 Old 07-31-2005, 07:45 AM

I'm having a problem with my reds? When I calibrated with DVE, I couldn't get my reds right. What can I adjust for this in the service menu? I also need to adjust my grayscale.
post #93 of 116 Old 07-31-2005, 02:41 PM

Liked: 10
To answer an earlier question, this set does support progressive scan, but only at the 720 (or 480) levels, not the 1080.

And I will again echo others in asking for information about the service menu, because there is something wrong with the black level.
post #94 of 116 Old 08-02-2005, 08:57 PM

Was checking out this TV at my local BB today and brought in my xbox with component cables and the avia disk to look at the geometry and other aspects. Geometry was actually pretty good on this set comparable to the Sony 30'' xs fine picture tube model. However when looking at all the test patterns especially the gray scales I noticed the upper right hand corner of the set displayed varying shades of yellow instead of white or grey. Almost as though the screen there was stained yellow.

Does anyone know what would cause this? Is it likely to be just a defect with this TV or the entire line? No one else in town carrys this model so I have no comparison.

On an unrelated side note while browsing the test patterns on the sony xs which was next to the lg I noticed that the resolution test patterns flickered and looked as though they were moving on the sony but were absolutely still and motionless on the lg... I'm a bit of a newb so I'm not sure what the resolution test patterns are even supposed to do or how to stop the flickering.

Thanks for any responses I'm trying to find a new tv to replace the slim fit samsung I'm returning this weekend due to its horrible geometry problems.
post #95 of 116 Old 08-07-2005, 10:47 AM

After I installed an ANT3900 RCA satellite antenna( affixed to oval or cirular dish antennas), I noticed an immediate improvement in picture quality reception of my HD local channels. Although my analog local channels still come in crappy looking, the before mentioned HD local channels are great. Because you need a Directv or possibly dishnetwork receiver to amplify it, it would probably be no use to you if you do not have one.
post #96 of 116 Old 08-10-2005, 07:25 AM

dOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS LCD MONITOR CAN BE USED IN OTHER COUNTRIES. SOUTH AFRICA IN PARTICULAR. LOOKING AT IMPORTING BUT NEED TO KNOW THAT IT WILL WORK. URGENT.....ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT
post #97 of 116 Old 08-12-2005, 06:27 PM

Just so you know, this isn't an LCD, it's a CRT. Since LG makes it, it may work where you are at, but it also could be NTSC only, not PAL. I don't know which one is used over there.
post #98 of 116 Old 08-19-2005, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWinbrook46636
A second, slimmer version is due out soon. You can see both here side by side. The specs are reportedly the same and it's designed to compete with the Samsung SlimFit display. I think it will win based on the tuner alone. I just hope the picture quality matches the one that's out already.
Has anyone heard more about the slim version of this set? I thought it was supposed to be out by now.

TWinbrook46636
post #99 of 116 Old 08-19-2005, 04:13 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWinbrook46636
Has anyone heard more about the slim version of this set? I thought it was supposed to be out by now.
Won't be out till the fall..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #100 of 116 Old 08-20-2005, 11:20 PM

Guys I really need help :(

Can anyone with the LG 30FZ4D (30in widescreen) please go into the service menu and tell me the the default numbers within the menus:

Raster, Center, H/V _Size
Pin-Cushion

Please help me out, you would have my ever-lasting thanks :o

speaking of this, would there be anyway to reset the LG service menu?

thanks again,
tookie
post #101 of 116 Old 09-26-2005, 09:36 AM

Used the LG for a month before exchanging it for a Sony 30XS955, so I thought I’d throw my 2 cents (worth of nitpicking) in.

The LG had great potential; while viewing the sets in Best Buy it clearly stood out in terms of sharpness and brightness. Taken with a grain of salt (the stores don’t seem to do much setup besides plugging in the displays and punching the power button) it still was one of 2 or 3 sets that seemed to consistently have excellent image quality. After spending a month with it some problems/annoyances developed that ultimately had my lugging it back to Best Buy.

1. Image quality. One word, major annoyance: shimmering. I use shimmering to describe the sparkling/twinkling that occurs on large areas of solid color and/or detail; out of focus backgrounds, the sky, a wall, etc. The problem (as I see it) was related to the set’s upconversion. My uneducated guess comes from the observation that the shimmering was most pronounced in DVD (480i/p) and other upconverted content (I fed the set HD via a roof antenna.) On most 1080i content, it was barely noticeable. On DVD content, it was distracting to the point that it became difficult to focus on anything else.

Another problem was brightness; the LG has an ‘XD’ setting which increases brightness. The description seems to imply its function is to enhance HD content; I found the TV to be useless without it turned on. As an example: think of a space scene from Star Wars. Turn XD off, and half the stars disappear. What’s the problem? Turning on XD and then adjusting brightness a) according to Avia and/or b) according to my eyes enhanced the shimmering and also introduced some macroblocking in upconverted material. Turning XD off resulted in a picture that was entirely too dark; mid-tones and shadow areas lacked necessary detail. Example: dark skin/clothing/backgrounds would be featureless. This was apparent by itself, but also I ‘confirmed’ what I thought was happening by viewing the same content on other displays. If you’re familiar with photography, think: poor dynamic range. Adjusting for the dark mid-tones and shadow areas reduced contrast, which could not be recovered by further tweaking.

2. Tuner. Very slow to change channels.

3. Remote/sensor. It was horrible; worthless. The remote had to be parallel to the floor and almost precisely in line with the sensor on the TV.

The Sony 30XS955, while not perfect, addressed the image quality issues completely; no more shimmering and no more macroblocking. The LG did have some things going for it such as optical in/out, attractive case, ‘front’ inputs moved to the side where wires could easily be hidden, not a Sony (i.e. better price, service couldn’t possibly be as bad as Sony’s.)
post #102 of 116 Old 10-08-2005, 08:20 PM

I bought this tv for $750. It was a return and was in perfect shape without a scratch on it. I had the guy at BB hook it up to a DTV HD reciever and watched it for maybe an hour. Everythign looked ok. I got it home and almost immediately noticed the 2 biggest problems, vertical scan line and brightness level. Anyway after a week I exchanged it for a new one out of the box and low and behold, SAME problems. I had bought the Sony 34HS420 a few months back and Sony eventually bought it back from me because there was a problem with it and I didn't want another one. It happened to have a very similar darnkess problem that was solved through the service menu. So up until today, I couldn't figure out how to change that on this tv. I changed the brightness to where it's JUST above a black setting and there are major improvments on the picture.

I am worried though about the longevity of this set. I was scared to buy the Sony 30inch version of the one I had so I took a gamble on this one. I guess for the $750 price, it's not bad at all! BUT for all these problems we are having, I wonder if I should "upgrade" to the Sony 30 inch. I'm just not a big fan of that tube after dealing with it for 10 months and 2 trips to service not to mention the $150 more I'll have to spend.

Anyone know if there is a difference in tubes between the Sony 30inch hs and the other 955 or whatever that model number is? Other than the OSP and the tuner, I can't see a difference. But if it's a newer tube, I might want that one.
post #103 of 116 Old 10-10-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhater
Anyone know if there is a difference in tubes between the Sony 30inch hs and the other 955 or whatever that model number is? Other than the OSP and the tuner, I can't see a difference. But if it's a newer tube, I might want that one.
The 955 is part of Sony's Super Fine Pitch series. In short, it has better horizontal resolution than other consumer CRT displays. THere are plenty of threads that argue the topic, but the numbers thrown around in this forum generally are 1400 lines for the Sonys and 800 lines for the LG. Having owned both sets, I'll say that the SFP tube DOES make a difference in PQ between these two sets. BB has them for $997-$15 off w/coupon right now.
post #104 of 116 Old 11-05-2005, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedog
Anyway, for what it's worth, these are my video settings:
Contrast 27
Brightness 57
Color 50
Sharpness 20
XD On
thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

those setting numbers are so good for this set.

Smoke me a kipper... I'll be back for breakfast.
post #105 of 116 Old 11-05-2005, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homersapien
The 955 is part of Sony's Super Fine Pitch series. In short, it has better horizontal resolution than other consumer CRT displays. THere are plenty of threads that argue the topic, but the numbers thrown around in this forum generally are 1400 lines for the Sonys and 800 lines for the LG. Having owned both sets, I'll say that the SFP tube DOES make a difference in PQ between these two sets. BB has them for $997-$15 off w/coupon right now.
If you can find one of clearence you can get if for 686 + tax. i.e. 897 clearence price - 10% openbox discount - 15% clearence coupon. I got one from my local bestbuy and it is worth every penny.
post #106 of 116 Old 11-05-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoshi
If you can find one of clearence you can get if for 686 + tax. i.e. 897 clearence price - 10% openbox discount - 15% clearence coupon. I got one from my local bestbuy and it is worth every penny.
thats what i did, after i took the crappy Insignia 26" back, i then found out about the 15% coupon and went to BB with my credit and they were out of stock on the on the LG so i bought the one on display and got another 10% off since it was open.

the set is totaly worth the 688 i paid....my only bitch so far is the remote, you have to have the accuracy of Annie Oakley to work it ;)

Smoke me a kipper... I'll be back for breakfast.
post #107 of 116 Old 11-06-2005, 10:25 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean about the remote but you kind of get used to it.

I'm still surprised more people don't have the high-pitched squealing problem I've been having. I really gotta get my lazy butt off the couch and call a service center about it...
post #108 of 116 Old 03-15-2006, 12:37 AM

i can't seem to get in the calibration menu

i tried holding menu on tv and then the one of remote, but nothing happend

i guess i was lucky got the last "brand new" one in my area heheheh

love this tv been looking for a CRT that does 480p/720p/1080i and this one

didn't have the bow effect i got from the slim fit
post #109 of 116 Old 03-16-2006, 09:27 AM

Wow that's a nice look set! I wish I would have seen it before I made my purchase. :)

I never saw an LG tube tv at any of the stores I went to when I was shopping for my HDTV. The Sammie slim that I have presently had caught my eye early on when researching on the net and I was kind of basing my purchase on what would fit in my present tv cabinent.

Luckily, my Samsung Slimfit seems to be clear of any major issues that plague most of them. :)

That LG is one nice looking tv though. The fact that it's got DVI/HDMI is a real plus in my book, even given the fact that it's shared. That gives you the luxury of being more compatible with things. (My cable box has a DVI connection and I had to get an adaptor to hook it to my HDMI connection)
post #110 of 116 Old 03-21-2006, 11:24 AM

man i have this tv for about 5 days now and the bow issue is getting wrost is this normla?
its only a little bit when i first had it now its very noticble
post #111 of 116 Old 06-16-2006, 11:23 AM

I too am having a high pitch problem. Unfortunatley this tv comes with only a 3 month labor warranty and I've had the set for 7 months. The LG customer service basically says I'm screwed and would have to pay labor to fix the high pitch noise, which would probably cost over $200. Anyone with advice would be appreciated.
post #112 of 116 Old 07-18-2006, 04:49 PM

I had this set for fourteen months and went without the EW from Best Buy. Two weeks ago, the deflection board died and the service center wanted 450 for parts and labor. The set only cost me 850 and I was hesitant on spending half of what I purchased it for over a year ago. I found the board online for 150 but replacing it involved removing the anode lead from the CRT and I wasn't sure I wanted to take the risk in damaging the CRT. So I instead just upgraded to a new Hitachi 51F59. I was wondering if anyone else had a random failure on the deflection board? Mine occurred while watching a movie over HDMI from an LG DVB418 and there was no power surge or drop that I detected because my Pioneer amplifier and DVD player received no power hit. The service guy in my area seemed to know exactly what it was after I described the picture blanking out during the movie and the set turning off and being unable to turn back on.
post #113 of 116 Old 07-27-2006, 12:56 PM

I picked this set up at a local indie shop last week (brand new... not demo), is 699 + tax a good price? Or should I return it and look to something else? I chose this set over a Toshiba 26FH66 ($525 +tax).

This is my first full blown tv purchase purchase, so not so sure I made the right decision. I know tubes are going away, but I didn't want to spend over 1k if I could help it.

Also bought a Terk OTA HD antennae.

... hope I didn't break any forum rules by listing price... if so, Mods, please edit. Figured it's okay cause I didn't provide company names. :)
post #114 of 116 Old 07-29-2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrunz
I too am having a high pitch problem. Unfortunatley this tv comes with only a 3 month labor warranty and I've had the set for 7 months. The LG customer service basically says I'm screwed and would have to pay labor to fix the high pitch noise, which would probably cost over $200. Anyone with advice would be appreciated.
For all who are having the high pitch noise, try pressing something against the casing. My set was doing the same thing. I pressed it up against the wall and haven't heard the noise since. Recently, I needed to hook up an upconvert dvd player that I had just purchased, so I moved the TV from against the wall and the noise came back. I connected my dvd player and pushed the set back against the wall and the noise went away. I think the noise comes from the set getting hot and the casing is probably poorly structured. Anyway, this is how I fixed my high pitch problem.
post #115 of 116 Old 09-16-2006, 07:57 AM

Not to perform any thread-necromancy here or whatever, but I just got one of these used off Craigslist and I've got to say it's pretty sweet. I wanted to ask the *non*-"videophiles" out there a question, though.

So this thing has 6 or 7 different video presets, right? Movie, "weak signal", sports, etc... am I really likely to notice a stunning difference if I go out of my way to pick up the Avia disc and fine-tune the crap out of it? I mean, this is my first HD set and I'm already blown away by the difference in quality between this and my old TV. Is all that tuning a waste of time and money for somebody with the visual equivalent of a "tin ear" ("bismuth eyes"?)?

Maybe instead of hunting down an Avia DVD, somebody could point me to an online resource for similar test patterns? I've ordered a DVI-HDMI cable so I can use my PC on this TV, so I thought maybe I could just pull up a JPEG or something in an appropriate resolution, display it full-screen, and tweak the set with that? Anybody?

UPDATE: I have a somewhat-serious problem. The local Comcast CADTV channels are a mess -- they go from around 86 up to 115, but they're really just all over the place. Some of those channels have like one subchannel (is there a technical term for 89-2, 89-15, etc.?), while one had literally 60 or so. They are completely unorganized, with e.g. three NBCs, two ABCs, and a Weather station all on the same channel, or ESPN in the same grouping as TCM and USA.

This wouldn't be *that* irritating, but it seems that this TV only allows you to add/delete entire Channel-level groups (e.g., all the subchannels of #101), and I don't see any way to manually tune to a subchannel, so if the EZ-scan misses one, you apparently just have to scan again. Is there any possible way to manually edit the channel list with a bit more, uh, finesse?

A more minor issue is that channel labels are applied the same way, and since XDR doesn't appear to be working, I need the labels to figure out where the hell everything is.

I'm going to call Comcast to bitch and see if I can badger them into either fixing the channels (unlikely) or giving me an HD STB for free (somewhat more likely), but it would be nice if I could fix this from our end.
post #116 of 116 Old 11-19-2006, 05:17 PM

This TV definitely has grayscale issues (using Terminator 2 DVD with THX optimization screens). Some of the greys looked greenish and reddish. I had to use the service menu to tweak some settings... still not completely satisfied but much better.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page