LG 30FZ4D Would y'all go take a look? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 116 Old 05-25-2005, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
:mad: Anyone making their next trip to best buy. Would you check out this new t.v. from LG, it's there 30". The picture looked better than Sony's 30" in the BBuy store I saw it in. Minnesota BBuys also have all their t.v.s individually amped for signal.

I wrote LG to comment on the lack of feedback I see about their product.

I've been looking into your 30FZ4D Direct View Integrated HDTV. However, LG seems to have no track record in terms of repairs or longevity in the U.S. Most sites seem to be a lacking in reviews for your products. I've noticed in your company history there was/is a breif history with Zenith. According to consumer reports, Zenith is one of the most oft repaired televisions 5%+ of overall product. Why would a consumer risk purchasing one of your units verses the safety of buying a like Sony product? I work for a small photographic company in sales/classroom instruction (doesn't sell televisions)and I appreciate good color/clarity in my monitors. This unit seems quite intriging but on my limited budget seems to be a greater risk.

Here's most of what they said

"Dear Cloneme77, LG Electronics is the parent company of Zenith. LG Electronics has only been available in the U.S. for three years. IT world just named LG Electronics May's Coolest Gadget. For further information, you may contact us at 800-243-0000 for LG Customer Service assistance. An agent will be glad to assist you. "

I'm of course not at all impressed but having to call cusomter service. What is there email account for anyway?

Anyways I would really appreciate any feedback anyone might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 Old 05-26-2005, 12:47 AM

I just bought this set from BBuy yesterday. I've had a phillips 9100d and samsung 26" that I tried and returned before this one. Right now I just have a cheap $10 antenna hooked up to the set as well as a htpc running a radeon 9500 through the component dongle.

HD reception is great. I pull in all the local channels with no problems. Much better than the Samsung and seems about as good as the phillips. I have a little bit of pincusion error on both the left and right sides, but its not too bad and I should be able to correct it through the service menu. The remote allows you to switch between tv, component, and hdmi on the fly instead of toggling through them like my last two sets.

Out of the box the greyscale was pretty bad on my set. I adjusted the contrast, brightnes, color. and tint with avia, and noticed that the lower end of the greyscale was too red, and not blue enough. Also looking at the color decoder test, the red seems to be off between +10 to +15%. My calibrations were done on the warm color temperature settings. Using the medium setting made the picture too blue. Luckily its easy to get into the service menu, and I made some small adjustments to the red and blue cutoff's to try and get a better greyscale in the lower end. My greyscale still isn't all that great, but it is much better than before.

Right now the picture in HD and using DVD's looks really good even with the greyscale not perfect. SD seems about average quality.
post #3 of 116 Old 05-26-2005, 10:04 AM

Is this the "black" TV that stands out from all the other sets at BB?

-J-
post #4 of 116 Old 05-26-2005, 03:21 PM

yes it is the "piano gloss black" i love it. i work at a BBY in indianapolis.

i was about to buy the sony 30" HD ready set but decided to go with the LG built-in instead... after some basic retuning it looked the best hands down.

i love this tv. and it is selling like hotcakes. nice price too

I don't have a "home theater"... I have a "home cinema". Nobody is singing and dancing in my house.
post #5 of 116 Old 05-26-2005, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevatorHappyFun
yes it is the "piano gloss black" i love it. i work at a BBY in indianapolis.

i was about to buy the sony 30" HD ready set but decided to go with the LG built-in instead... after some basic retuning it looked the best hands down.

i love this tv. and it is selling like hotcakes. nice price too
How is the greyscale on your set? I'm wondering if its just my set, or if all of them are like this.
post #6 of 116 Old 05-26-2005, 06:13 PM

I have decided to purchase one of these when I move into my new house. One thing that I got from the spec sheet is that the tuner (ASTC/QAM) uses the 5th gen chipset from LG. As far as I know, this is the only set out there now that has this.

How can you access the service menu? I would like to do a calibration when I get it installed.
thanks
Jim

Jim Sanchez - jim@jimsanchez.com
post #7 of 116 Old 05-26-2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sanchez
I have decided to purchase one of these when I move into my new house. One thing that I got from the spec sheet is that the tuner (ASTC/QAM) uses the 5th gen chipset from LG. As far as I know, this is the only set out there now that has this.

How can you access the service menu? I would like to do a calibration when I get it installed.
thanks
Jim
You hold down the menu button on the front of the tv and then hold the menu button on the remote at the same time. Keep pressing for several seconds and a service menu will pop up. There is a lot more info you can get by searching this forum for the zenith service menu, since the menus are identical.
post #8 of 116 Old 05-26-2005, 08:24 PM

That TV looks awesome. It's enormous for a 30" set, but it looks really sleek and stylish...the picture quality, judging by the in-store display at Best Buy, it looked better than any other set they had.
post #9 of 116 Old 05-27-2005, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks silver and black on the BB website.

It's the job of the salesman to give honest and accurate product info and let the customer decide if it fits their needs.
post #10 of 116 Old 05-27-2005, 12:54 PM

I know (from the literature) that this set will "display" a 1080i picture, but does anyone know how many lines of resolution the set has? Most seem to be around 800 for a DV set this size.
post #11 of 116 Old 05-31-2005, 09:32 AM

^^
post #12 of 116 Old 05-31-2005, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Do they make a 26 or 27 inch version?
post #13 of 116 Old 05-31-2005, 02:55 PM

A second, slimmer version is due out soon. You can see both here side by side. The specs are reportedly the same and it's designed to compete with the Samsung SlimFit display. I think it will win based on the tuner alone. I just hope the picture quality matches the one that's out already.

TWinbrook46636
post #14 of 116 Old 05-31-2005, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow - that big one (the one from this thread) is BIG!

The smaller one is so much better.

I just wish more manufacturers would put the speakers on the bottom instead of the sides :(
post #15 of 116 Old 06-01-2005, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWinbrook46636
I just hope the picture quality matches the one that's out already.
The slimmer Samsung quality didn't seem as good as the typical tube size sets. Picture seemed soft and grainy in comparison. Granted this was in-store lighting with my novice tweaking of the picture. :)
post #16 of 116 Old 06-02-2005, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
The slimmer Samsung quality didn't seem as good as the typical tube size sets. Picture seemed soft and grainy in comparison. Granted this was in-store lighting with my novice tweaking of the picture. :)
My local Best Buy got both the new Samsung (slim) and LG (non-slim) displays in. The Samsung had bad geometry problems. The text towards the bottom of the screen was warped. The kicker is that this wasn't just at the very bottom edge of the screen but rather a good 1/4 of the way up. I've never seen that before. The LG looked great even compared to the much more expensive Sony next to it and I was surprised to see it had both HDMI and DVI inputs. If it had Firewire and CableCard I probably would have fainted. I just hope the slim version of the LG due out later this summer doesn't suffer from the same geometry problems of the Samsung. It's supposed to be otherwise identical to it's portly brother.

TWinbrook46636
post #17 of 116 Old 06-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

post #18 of 116 Old 06-02-2005, 11:33 PM

The description below the set said it had both. What's strange is the official brochure from LG shows only an HDMI port while a photo of the set at the Best Buy website shows a DVI port in the exact same location.

TWinbrook46636
post #19 of 116 Old 06-04-2005, 04:25 PM

I started out in one store looking for the slim samsung, I was sent to another store because it was sold out. The other store had the LG and the samsung side by side. The piano black frame immediately caught my eye, also the white status lights on the bottom are really nice too. The set's box and the screen definitely look a lot more expensive than the budget price. And looking at the two sets, the samsung really isnt all that much slimmer. The picture on the LG did look better and the HDMI and DVI was very attractive. I say HDMI and DVI because the card and the salesperson said it had HDMI and DVI. He even sold me a DVI and HDMI Cable, when I came home, I found out that the 1 HDMI slot has an HDMI/DVI label. Because the two can be interchanged with an adapter, I guess they say the TV has HDMI/DVI functionalty. A bit deceptive if you ask me.

Other than that the set is probably the best set I found for the price. And I have been looking for a while at tv's. Now I have to go and find that service menu i just heard about.
post #20 of 116 Old 06-05-2005, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222
Do they make a 26 or 27 inch version?
I know they make a 32 inch version of this set, but Best Buy does not carry it, and has no plans too.

Anyone know where to get the 32" set, and the what the price might be?

The 30" is really cheap(when on sale), and I would venture too guess the 32" would be either the same price or even cheaper because it is a 4:3 set as compared to a 16:9.

The 30" version is really nice, picture/price point wise for a tv with a built in tuner(and a great built in tuner if it is similiar to the LG 4200A or if it has the 5th generation chip people have been salivating for, although no one can confirm that the tv has it.)

One thing it does not have which I NEVER in my life thought I would ever miss or want is PIP. Especially the SPLIT SCREEN(it would have to have this) type of PIP.

My Zenith C27V36 has it and it is great durng football season for watching multiple games, but it is not a deal breaker. Just a really nice feature IMHO.
post #21 of 116 Old 06-05-2005, 09:53 AM
TIC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
bryantchoung,

The Samsung is significantly slimmer as it is only about 16" deep where a traditional 30-34" tube is about 22" deep. (that's nearly 30%) Where you looking at the width instead of the depth? The SlimTube is a reduction in depth, it does not help make a narrower (width) TV. Now, putting speakers on the bottom, below the CRT does create a narrower TV, but not many manufactures have figured this out yet!

The Samsung SlimFit is the first CRT TV I've considered for my family room entertainment armoire. The shelf is only 20" deep and I do not want to cut the back out. Unfortunately, although the Samsung will fit, the horrible geometry issues I've noted in four different store will preclude the Samsung from my "shortlist" of TVs.

Enjoy,

TIC
post #22 of 116 Old 06-06-2005, 11:06 PM

This looks to be a great TV. I have a question for those owners out there. Are the RF tuners for QAM and OTA separate? The reason I ask is here in San Jose, Comcast doesn't carry 720p channels over QAM, just 1080i, so if I want OTA HD 720p channels, i'd have to hook up a separate antenna for OTA. That is fine, but with other sets, the QAM and OTA HD tuners are on the same input and while there is a second RF input, that is only for analog broadcasts (e.go. Sanyo 30"). So with those TV's it is either or, but not both at once. Would be great if the LG has separate QAM and OTA tuners.
post #23 of 116 Old 06-07-2005, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I took delivery on the LG 30FZ4D last weekend. Gorgeous picture, for sure...

However, I have a problem getting enough brightness, very noticeable on HD broadcasts, particularly those that are filmed, such as CSI on CBS and the Sopranos on HBO. Does anybody have a quick fix for this in the service menu?

Please help, before I return it for a Sony, or think about spending $$$ for a service call.
post #24 of 116 Old 06-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs
However, I have a problem getting enough brightness, very noticeable on HD broadcasts, particularly those that are filmed, such as CSI on CBS and the Sopranos on HBO. Does anybody have a quick fix for this in the service menu?

Please help, before I return it for a Sony, or think about spending $$$ for a service call.
Shot in the dark, but what's your contrast level set at?

It's usually set too high from the factory, but maybe LG goes the conservative route (which would be a credit to them if true).

Keep in mind, though, that most sets are not intended to be viewed in a brightly lit room, so even the best sets will only look their best when the lights are low and the contrast set to the correct (usually fairly low) level. This is one reason (among many others) why store displays are a terrible indicator of a set's true PQ.
post #25 of 116 Old 06-07-2005, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Odd that neither this nor the 32" are listed on LG's website. Does anyone have the model # for the 32"?
post #26 of 116 Old 06-07-2005, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badasscat
Shot in the dark, but what's your contrast level set at?

It's usually set too high from the factory, but maybe LG goes the conservative route (which would be a credit to them if true).

Keep in mind, though, that most sets are not intended to be viewed in a brightly lit room, so even the best sets will only look their best when the lights are low and the contrast set to the correct (usually fairly low) level. This is one reason (among many others) why store displays are a terrible indicator of a set's true PQ.

The factory had the contrast set at 100 (max) and the brightness at 55. I've been playing around with these settings for over a week now, in various lighting situations. I see almost no difference between HDMI and component video as well.

I never really did see this TV in a store, just bought it on a whim. It has a built-in tuner for the same price as a Sony without one, and I had read good things about LG's outboard tuner. Indeed, until my cable company came and changed out my conventional box a couple of days ago for the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD, I was getting great reception off the air (San Diego) on just a pair of rabbit ears, which is when I first noticed the brightness issue.
post #27 of 116 Old 06-07-2005, 11:07 AM
DB2
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
However, I have a problem getting enough brightness, very noticeable on HD broadcasts, particularly those that are filmed, such as CSI on CBS and the Sopranos on HBO.
I've seen this problem come up on various forums for various display devices. The general consensus is that the dark look is the natural look of these shows. CSI is the one that I've seen mentioned the most. There's a good chance that there is nothing wrong with the picture you're seeing. My advice would be to calibrate with a proper dvd and be done!

Now if you're having brightness issues on HD sports, INHD shows, etc. then you might have a problem...

"I usually sit closer to 2 X screen width, or I look like a cat watching a ping pong tournament." -Free
post #28 of 116 Old 06-07-2005, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB2
I've seen this problem come up on various forums for various display devices. The general consensus is that the dark look is the natural look of these shows. CSI is the one that I've seen mentioned the most. There's a good chance that there is nothing wrong with the picture you're seeing. My advice would be to calibrate with a proper dvd and be done!

Now if you're having brightness issues on HD sports, INHD shows, etc. then you might have a problem...

Thanks DB2....I haven't really had much of a complaint with the NBA basketball and the INHD Doobie Bros. concert. It's largely the filmed shows. Maybe I'm just used to TV's that will distort and washout with high brightness settings, whereas this one never gets to that point. I just wish I didn't have to set the brightness on 100 all the time.
post #29 of 116 Old 06-07-2005, 12:04 PM

Quote:
The factory had the contrast set at 100 (max) and the brightness at 55. I've been playing around with these settings for over a week now, in various lighting situations. I see almost no difference between HDMI and component video as well.

I never really did see this TV in a store, just bought it on a whim. It has a built-in tuner for the same price as a Sony without one, and I had read good things about LG's outboard tuner. Indeed, until my cable company came and changed out my conventional box a couple of days ago for the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD, I was getting great reception off the air (San Diego) on just a pair of rabbit ears, which is when I first noticed the brightness issue.
I calibrated with Avia, and needed brightness around 69-70 to get good shadow detail. I got these setting using my htpc, but they seem pretty good for hd as well. I have contrast set around 38. How is the greyscale on your set?
post #30 of 116 Old 06-07-2005, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Dismal....got some pale yellows in there among other indescribable stuff.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays