Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 146 Old 08-21-2005, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Thanks Q, I'm getting a bit excited about doing the ISF w/Chad as I'd like to see just how good the PQ can be improved on my 40XBR. Chad, if you're following this thread, be sure to count me in on your Florida trip!

JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 146 Old 08-25-2005, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am going to use a PM I just received recently, and remove all attribution for the sake of privacy, but there's something very annoying (at least to me) and an overall lesson that I'd like to share with everyone else.

Maybe I'm way off my rocker here, but I think you all will get the idea as to what kind of upset me a little bit in this, and my PM'd response should speak for itself, in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, but to put in brass tax: Eliab wants your business. First and foremost. Above all else.

So, frankly speaking, he's going to say whatever he has to, to get your business and if that means planting seeds of doubt and apprehension, which he's clearly done here successfully...then so be it.

All I can tell you is: Chad, or anyone else in this line of work that is reputable and qualified...the last thing they want to do is put themselves in a situation where they're in over their heads and not qualified to handle it.

Let Chad speak for himself! Don't let Elaib or anyone else speak for him! Chad is honest enough to tell you himself whether or not he's qualified to handle or something or not.

Quote:
Hi Q of BanditZ.

I read your stellar review of Chad Billheimer's work on your XBR and contacted him to calibrate my new samsung 1080P DLP. Before I read your review, I had sent an email to Eliab, who was recommend on these boards as someone who does tours in the eastern US and might be in my area (Columbus OH) at some point. I also asked if he wasn't going to be around here any time in the near future, could he recommend someone in my area. His reply was:

"Man this stinks. You just missed a 10-day joint calibration tour of Ohio that my business partner David Abrams and I just completed last week! The problem with recommending someone else is that they really need to be extremely familiar with the calibration procedure of your particular display as they're highly idiosyncratic. Furthermore, they would need to use the proper instrumentation which most don't own. As
far as that's concerned, I use the Photo Research PR650
SpectroRadiometer which is the reference standard by which most other analyzers (including the Milori) are judged up against."

So, after this reply I found and read your review and contacted Chad. I also replied back to Eliab and mentioned to him that I read this great review from you on Chad's work and asked him if he knew of Chad's work and also listed the equipment Chad uses that is listed on his website. Eliab's reply was:

"you need to get the right person to perform the job. I do know of Chad but am not sure if he knows the procedure to work on your display. However, what I do know is that the analyzer that he lists below cannot be used effectively to perform the calibration on your display."

So, while your wonderful review makes me want to use Chad, and he already replied to me and said he could make it here next week and was eager to get his hands on the new 1080p sammy DLP, Eliab has me apprehensive. You have a ton of posts in these forums and know a heck of a lot more than me on this stuff, so I was hoping you could spare some of your time and if you know why Eliab might be saying this and if it may be true that you need to have the right equipment and have to be very familiar with my particular display. Thanks for your time.
No one who does this kind of work and knows what they're doing would ever knowingly and willfully put themselves in a situation they couldn't handle, for all the obvious reasons.

Maybe I'm making too much of it, and I'm not angry at the person who sent me this PM, but I am somewhat displeased with the scenario this person described to me in the PM. Questionable ethics, at the very least. I don't really appreciate it and I don't have much respect for it, at face value.

Am I way off or what, folks?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #93 of 146 Old 08-25-2005, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This is a PM I just received this morning. I removed ALL names and attributions for the sake of privacy, but there’s something in this PM that disturbed me and frankly, angered me. I’m not angry at the person who sent this to me. I’m angry at what he describes in this PM. Let me know if I’m way off my rocker.

My response to his PM comes first, followed by the PM itself, obviously.

Quote:
I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, but to put in brass tax: xxxx wants your business. First and foremost. Above all else.

So, frankly speaking, he's going to say whatever he has to, to get your business and if that means planting seeds of doubt and apprehension, which he's clearly done here successfully...then so be it.

All I can tell you is: Chad, or anyone else in this line of work that is reputable and qualified...the last thing they want to do is put themselves in a situation where they're in over their heads and not qualified to handle it.

Let Chad speak for himself! Don't let xxxx or anyone else speak for him! Chad is honest enough to tell you himself whether or not he's qualified to handle or something or not.

Quote:
Hi Q of BanditZ.

I read your stellar review of Chad Billheimer's work on your XBR and contacted him to calibrate my new samsung 1080P DLP. Before I read your review, I had sent an email to Xxxx,...

"Man this stinks. You just missed...of Ohio that my business partner xxxxxand I just completed last week! The problem with recommending someone else is that they really need to be extremely familiar with the calibration procedure of your particular display as they're highly idiosyncratic. Furthermore, they would need to use the proper instrumentation which most don't own. As
far as that's concerned, I use the Photo Research PR650
SpectroRadiometer which is the reference standard by which most other analyzers (including the Milori) are judged up against."

So, after this reply I found and read your review and contacted Chad. I also replied back to Xxxx and mentioned to him that I read this great review from you on Chad's work and asked him if he knew of Chad's work and also listed the equipment Chad uses that is listed on his website. Xxxx's reply was:

"you need to get the right person to perform the job. I do know of Chad but am not sure if he knows the procedure to work on your display. However, what I do know is that the analyzer that he lists below cannot be used effectively to perform the calibration on your display."

So, while your wonderful review makes me want to use Chad, and he already replied to me and said he could make it here next week and was eager to get his hands on the new 1080p sammy DLP, Xxxx has me apprehensive.

You have a ton of posts in these forums and know a heck of a lot more than me on this stuff, so I was hoping you could spare some of your time and if you know why Xxxx might be saying this and if it may be true that you need to have the right equipment and have to be very familiar with my particular display. Thanks for your time.
Am I way off my rocker here, folks? Anyone that’s in this line of business and is reputable and qualified would never willfully put themselves in a situation they couldn’t handle, for all the obvious reasons. Too risky. Too expensive. Too easy to make critical mistakes.

I just really don’t appreciate what this person described to me at all. I’d say the same thing for anyone else. You let so and so speak for THEMSELVES!

I am going to show Chad this PM and I'm going to make sure he knows the name of the person that decided to try and "speak for him."

My initial reaction to this is:

I think this stinks and it's dead wrong and questionable ethics, at best.

To an extreme, I see this as almost threatening someone's livelihood outright when you "speak on their behalf" like this and I'm going to go against this sort of thing with everything I've got.

Am I overreacting? (Probably. ;) ) But there's just something about this that rubs me the wrong way and I want to see if anyone else gets that same feeling off of this or not.

I see generally sound advice, but then I see something else dovetailed in that generally sound advice that just kind of bothers me...

You all get to be my "muses" on this thing, up or down. ;)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #94 of 146 Old 08-25-2005, 08:29 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Q,

I am not quite sure from your post who is saying what, but you did not modify it enough for me not to know who contacted you.

I am a little more disturbed that you would post his PM here than the information he sent you. However, I would not make a comment about any particular calibrator either. I do agree with the general tone about the experience and equipment that should be used.

You would be very surprised to know how variable the quality of this service is and how important the equipment is. I was on one job fairly recently where a very well known calibrator had shown up to calibrate a display with no prior experience and totally muffed the job. The client was pretty unhappy and flew me in to do the job correctly. The problem every calibrator faces is that someone has to be first unless you have access to the display some other way. My motto is just to be honest about the process and where I stand on any particular display.

Take a look at the link in my signature to see an example of one professional (>$1000) device versus the spectroradiometer type recommended to you. Some of the instrumentation in use is very poor for the task. The suggestion made for you to look for someone using a spectroradiometer is one I make as well. I would almost certainly select someone with a spectroradiometer over someone without one for a non-CRT display. However, I would not get too concerned about the model being used. Gretag-Macbeth, Minolta or Photo Research models are all very capable instruments for the task. Any calibrator not using one of these devices today is not someone I would consider unless I was only interested in CRT calibration and that individual had significant skill in that area. I personally cannot fathom why someone who is a professional would not have a spectroradiometer with the current entry cost. Several of the newer DLP and LCoS models offer color gamut calibration as well as gray scale which can only be done well with a spectroradiometer in my opinion. A good optical comparator like a Sony PVM-96 is another alternative to augment a simple color analyzer, but it will only allow you to do gray scale.
post #95 of 146 Old 08-25-2005, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr
Q,

I am not quite sure from your post who is saying what, but you did not modify it enough for me not to know who contacted you.
D'oh!

Quote:
I am a little more disturbed that you would post his PM here than the information he sent you.
Your word means a lot to me, right off the bat, so I took the post down.

Normally, I'd NEVER do that, but I did my very best to remove ANY personal names or references whatsoever, including the person who PM'd me.

The PM was as such that it GAVE all the information and spoke the matter far better than I could, and I didn't want to "spin" or try and "interpret it" without a frame of reference.

Quote:
However, I would not make a comment about any particular calibrator either. I do agree with the general tone about the experience and equipment that should be used.
As do I.

Quote:

You would be very surprised to know how variable the quality of this service is and how important the equipment is.
Well...maybe not as surprised as you think. ;) I know it takes a lot of experience and the right equipment to REALLY get the job done right.

Although I certainly defer to your expertise over mine (which is zero.) :)

Quote:
I was on one job fairly recently where a very well known calibrator had shown up to calibrate a display with no prior experience and totally muffed the job. The client was pretty unhappy and flew me in to do the job correctly. The problem every calibrator faces is that someone has to be first unless you have access to the display some other way. My motto is just to be honest about the process and where I stand on any particular display.
Yup! That's a perfect example you just cited that backs up kind of what my "concern" was.

What kind of calibrator, who's serious about this to the point that they make their living off of it, would knowingly commit suicide and go after something that's over their heads? I guess you never say never, but I'd have to believe: Most reputable and qualifed calibrators know their limits and are honest about them and can speak for themselves to that effect.

Quote:

Take a look at the link in my signature to see an example of one professional (>$1000) device versus the spectroradiometer type recommended to you. Some of the instrumentation in use is very poor for the task. The suggestion made for you to look for someone using a spectroradiometer is one I make as well. I would almost certainly select someone with a spectroradiometer over someone without one for a non-CRT display.
True enough.

Quote:
However, I would not get too concerned about the model being used. Gretag-Macbeth, Minolta or Photo Research models are all very capable instruments for the task. Any calibrator not using one of these devices today is not someone I would consider unless I was only interested in CRT calibration and that individual had significant skill in that area. I personally cannot fathom why someone who is a professional would not have a spectroradiometer with the current entry cost. Several of the newer DLP and LCoS models offer color gamut calibration as well as gray scale which can only be done well with a spectroradiometer in my opinion. A good optical comparator like a Sony PVM-96 is another alternative to augment a simple color analyzer, but it will only allow you to do gray scale.
To be fair, I won't put words in Chad's mouth, but he told me he was looking to upgrade as he expands his knowledge and user base. You of all people know: This equipment ain't cheap!

In any event, thanks, Jeff. :)

As always, you've helped me considerably and I always appreciate your advice and input. :)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #96 of 146 Old 08-25-2005, 09:00 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Q,

I think you did the right thing by removing the PM even though I was not the one who sent it.

There is a new spectroradiometer solution that is much less expensive than what was available until recently. Anyone interested should just PM me for more information.
post #97 of 146 Old 08-25-2005, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr
Q,

I think you did the right thing by removing the PM even though I was not the one who sent it.
I know you weren't, but if you were smart enough to figure it out even with all the personal info removed, then that's all I needed to see to take that puppy down! If you could figure it out that easily, that means others could as well.

My intention was not to cause trouble or lay someone out, so to speak. No @#$%storms. ;)

Quote:

There is a new spectroradiometer solution that is much less expensive than what was available until recently. Anyone interested should just PM me for more information.
Cool! :)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #98 of 146 Old 08-25-2005, 09:06 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
....Cool! :)
I totally agree. :D

Amateurs and professionals are using it with great results.
post #99 of 146 Old 08-31-2005, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I've found an ISF certified tech to do my Sony 960 calibration...But I have a question on how best to set up my system (I'm a bit confused, so please bear with me...)

I currently have an HD D* DVR and a Panasonic DVD recorder, but plan to add a PS3 (when available), and *possibly* a better DVD player just for playing DVDs. Currently, both units are running component cables to the Yamaha receiver (with component switching), and the receiver is using the component monitor out to the TV. Which got me to thinking...

If everything is going into one input on the TV (although that makes it very nice because I don't have to switch inputs all the time), is it even possible to calibrate properly? Seems like the different sources will be sending different quality video and would need to be calibrated separately?

Would I be better off running everything to a separate input on the TV, and bypass the component switching on the receiver altogether? This will make setting up my remote control macros a bit more difficult, but if it's the best way to do it from a video standpoint, then that's ok.

Or, does the Sony 960 allow for multiple custom settings on one input?

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #100 of 146 Old 08-31-2005, 11:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85
I currently have an HD D* DVR and a Panasonic DVD recorder, but plan to add a PS3 (when available), and *possibly* a better DVD player just for playing DVDs. Currently, both units are running component cables to the Yamaha receiver (with component switching), and the receiver is using the component monitor out to the TV. Which got me to thinking...

If everything is going into one input on the TV (although that makes it very nice because I don't have to switch inputs all the time), is it even possible to calibrate properly? Seems like the different sources will be sending different quality video and would need to be calibrated separately?

Would I be better off running everything to a separate input on the TV, and bypass the component switching on the receiver altogether? This will make setting up my remote control macros a bit more difficult, but if it's the best way to do it from a video standpoint, then that's ok.

Or, does the Sony 960 allow for multiple custom settings on one input?
You can calibrate one input for different sources as long as the scan rates are different. If your HD DVR is at 1080i and DVD Recorder is 480p, they can be calibrated for the one input. Devices that output the same scan rate will need to share the calibration.

It is generally preferred that you use separate connections for each your input devices. This usually will allow you to watch/listen to programming with/without your receiver and external sound system. Each input only has one audio input.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #101 of 146 Old 08-31-2005, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC
You can calibrate one input for different sources as long as the scan rates are different. If your HD DVR is at 1080i and DVD Recorder is 480p, they can be calibrated for the one input. Devices that output the same scan rate will need to share the calibration.

It is generally preferred that you use separate connections for each your input devices. This usually will allow you to watch/listen to programming with/without your receiver and external sound system. Each input only has one audio input.
Thanks...that makes sense.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #102 of 146 Old 09-04-2005, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennberg
Where is this post people have referred to about Chad posting possible locations for calibrations?

I e-mailed Chad after referring to Q's post, even though he said he concentrated on states mostly around Ohio. I'm in Massachusetts (Boston).

Much to my surprise, he said he was tentatively coming out this way for another client, and we have set up an Oct/Nov timeframe for this.

If this calibration goes as well as Q's did, I will be very pleased. I just hope to have my new stand and possible subwoofer by then (he is also doing an audio calibration in addition to an ISF calibration).

Chad did contact me in August and he said he will be coming to MA in October. I told him I would be out of town the last two weeks of the month and he said he would be in touch.

I live about 45 minutes south of you so I'm sure he could hit us in one weekend.

I wanted him on a Saturday afternoon, that is when I have less sun in my living room.

Maybe it will get done next month.

Rich
post #103 of 146 Old 04-20-2006, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Wow, why is Q resurrecting a 6 month old thread?

Very simple. The other foot dropping, so to speak.

The "finishing touch" on any ISF calibration should be what happened for me yesterday: I took delivery of an Ideal-Lume Standard backlight.

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/

The $50 standard is more than enough for just about everyone. I also bought a couple of spare bulbs at $10 each. Each bulb lasts about 10,000 hours so I think I'm good for a while.

I'll let them explain their own products, but I'm here to tell you: No hype. No gimmicks. No BS. This was a night and day difference for me last night.

As some of you may know, last night was the two hour return of Alias followed by Invasion. So that was three hours of good HDTV viewing that I was able to watch using the Idea Lume.

Put it to you this way: Just like an ISF job, I will NEVER, EVER own a display or watch one again now without proper backlighting like this. For me, they are one in the same under the umbrella of a quality calibration and optimal viewing enjoyment.

Three hours of TV viewing like that and I had zero eye strain, maxed relaxed eyes, and indeed I was noticing that I was appreciating more details in my picture quality. Barring the need for sleep, I literally could have watched TV all night with no problems whatsoever with this light.

And I went into it somewhat skeptical, but like ISF calibrating, I'm now a true believer in backlighting as well. I'd recommend it to ANYONE with ANY kind of display, but especially if you've bought yourself a nice display and went through the trouble of ISF calibration. Finish it off right. :)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #104 of 146 Old 04-20-2006, 08:56 AM

Liked: 12
Q - Based soley on your earlier review of Chad and ISF calibration, I had my XBR960 ISF'd by Chad this past Monday (4/17/06). Needless to say, the results are still amazing me! After watching my 27" Sony 4:3 CRT for the last 8 yrs, and then getting and watching this TV (XBR960) for the last month, I wondered how much better the picture could get? Well, A LOT better thanks to Chad, who is also one of the kindest technical types I've ever met. Chad did such a thorough job, and was more than happy to answer all of my questions. He did several inputs and scan rates, all for his exceptionally low price (see his website.) I just happened to be one of the lucky few whose XBR960 out-of-the-box grayscale and color tracking was exceptionally close to spot on (May '05 PA built)... but Chad was able to get it even better! He stayed just slightly over 4 hours, and this was a lot shorter than normal only because he didn't have to open up the TV to tweak geometry (although he did offer to.) I refused this because of two reasons: we're moving in the next 6 months -which will cause the geometry to go out of whack again, and the because the geometry was already nearly perfect.

I'd say for anyone who is always fiddling with their picture controls.... now is the time to put your mind at ease, and hire and ISF calibrator (Chad Billheimer) to calibrate your XBR960. When finished, it will be spot on, and you'll never have to manipulate your picture controls ever again, cause you'll know it's PERFECT (or rather that you won't be able to make it any better)!
post #105 of 146 Old 04-20-2006, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^ :)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #106 of 146 Old 04-20-2006, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
How much do you think it would cost just for a greyscale calibration?

I'm considering getting my greyscale done,i mean it's ok right now it's just i know there is room for improvement.

Matt~
post #107 of 146 Old 04-20-2006, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27
How much do you think it would cost just for a greyscale calibration?

I'm considering getting my greyscale done,i mean it's ok right now it's just i know there is room for improvement.

Matt~

Just grayscale? I don't want to put any words in anyone's mouth but...but best I can recall..it should cost somewhat less than the basic SRP of a full ISF job *knocks on wood* ...although I still think you should consider that, buddy. ;)

Go into the display calibration forum and put up a general thread asking about that, or see if you can get a quote from someone. :)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #108 of 146 Old 04-20-2006, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds about right,but hey if greyscale alone is almost the price of a full calibration then i might as well go the whole extra yards!

Why not eh;) :D
post #109 of 146 Old 04-20-2006, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Sounds about right,but hey if greyscale alone is almost the price of a full calibration then i might as well go the whole extra yards!

Why not eh;) :D
At that rate, yeah. If you find out that a full ISF job is a fairly negligible difference in cost? You may as well finish it anyways, for sure.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #110 of 146 Old 04-20-2006, 12:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Most of the effort involved in doing the calibration is travel, setting up the equipment and doing the grayscale. Brightness, contrast, sharpness, color, tint and color decoder are rather easy, however for best results they should be set before and after grayscale.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #111 of 146 Old 04-20-2006, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really want mine done but I cant find out who is good in utah.
post #112 of 146 Old 04-20-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaldivine
I really want mine done but I cant find out who is good in utah.
Post this question in the Display Calibration section of AVS and you will get more attention from calibrators.
post #113 of 146 Old 04-20-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC
Most of the effort involved in doing the calibration is travel, setting up the equipment and doing the grayscale. Brightness, contrast, sharpness, color, tint and color decoder are rather easy, however for best results they should be set before and after grayscale.
Those settings are pretty much dead on i calibrated in the service menu so that the middle settings would be correct.What needs work is Greyscale and a few minor other things like balancing all the inputs in color level,etc. Maybe some minor convergance adjustment,focus.

So yeah i might as well go for the whole ISF,i mean i did most of the work myself like disable VSM and the edge enhancements on all the inputs scanrates,etc. So in fact i may make the calibrators job more easier in the process :D

I wrote down all my original settings incase the ISF calibrator has to start from scratch,Well when i have the money put aside and am ready i will notify one of you calibrators and would be glad to learn from the experiance!
post #114 of 146 Old 04-22-2006, 07:21 AM

Hey everybody Q is right. The backlight he is talking about is great. I bought one 2 months ago and it makes watching tv so much better. So much easier on the eyes.
post #115 of 146 Old 04-22-2006, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
In a proper viewing environment, a well calibrated unit is not dark at all. You don't lose any black detail and you don't lose any white detail ... and the image is not fatiguing on your eyes.
The ISF has been saying for years that TV is not plug and play, never has been and likely never will be. One important factor in this reality is the huge impact the viewing environment conditions and human perceptual factors can have on picture performance. Joe Kane has been saying for decades now that the viewing environment is the most frequently overlooked element in proper display setup. That axiom is still true, although the state of affairs is improving, especially in the display calibrator community.

The most critical element in a viewing environment is the ambient lighting, or the absence thereof. Too much light, of the wrong color, coming from the wrong direction, will ALWAYS contaminate, corrupt and often obstruct the image on the screen. No ambient lighting at all will typically induce eye strain, except with most front projection installations.

This section of the forum seldom discusses viewing environment issues. For some reason the discussion has been much more prominent in the plasma, LCD and flat panel discussion area. Direct view CRT displays are even more sensitive to viewing environment conditions. An enormous amount of helpful insight and answers to specific questions can be found in the "Bias Lighting (Backlighting)" thread.

No self-contained video display can produce its best picture in anything other than a darkened viewing environment. No anti-glare screen yet made for these types of TVs can completely eliminate the problems caused by light hitting the screen. CRT displays are the least able to compete with ambient light due to their inherent brightness limitations and heavy glass screens. They can be "watchable" in high ambient light but cannot deliver their best quality image. Even if your TV is equipped with a calibrated "day" setting, this option cannot overcome screen reflection and light intrusion problems.

Properly implemented 6500K backlighting is a necessity for correct viewing environment conditions when using direct view CRT displays. Both SMPTE and the ISO have been recommending this proceedure for decades. So has the ISF, JKP, NIST, THX, and every other serious imaging industry organization.

There are other very important issues within the viewing environment topic that apply to human perceptual characteristics. This is one of the least understood and/or seriously considered parts of imaging science in both the professional and consumer communities. This category relating to electronic imaging deserves much more discussion at another time. The thread I mentioned above contains quite a bit of information already.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
post #116 of 146 Old 04-22-2006, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^ Agreed 100 percent, after the fact. I'm a total believer now. :)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #117 of 146 Old 04-22-2006, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^ Agreed 100 percent, after the fact. I'm a total believer now. :)
I'll second that!

I purchased my Ideal Lume backlight almost 6 months ago. This, and my purchase of calibration dvds were my two most helpful investments in my home theater.

To those who do not have such backlighting - please consider this because the bang for the buck is significant. I also recommend re-calibrating your display after proper set-up of bias lighting.

Cheers! ;)
post #118 of 146 Old 04-22-2006, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Proper lighting is important i agree!

In my situation though i have a fairly well controlled room, backlights are'nt neccessary since i have theater lights on the back of my walls under my surround speakers :D

When i get my hands on a digital camera i'll show you more of my settup in action it really is a sight to be seen! I have gotten a lot of comments on how ell my room brings out the PQ on my tv.;)
post #119 of 146 Old 04-22-2006, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Proper lighting is important i agree!

In my situation though i have a fairly well controlled room, backlights are'nt neccessary since i have theater lights on the back of my walls under my surround speakers :D

When i get my hands on a digital camera i'll show you more of my settup in action it really is a sight to be seen! I have gotten a lot of comments on how ell my room brings out the PQ on my tv.;)
Sounds very nice Matt.

Are you aware that the backlight we're referring to illuminates the wall "behind" the tv set? It's not lighting from the rear of the room. Good bias lighting gives your eyes a chance to "be their best" since they don't have to adjust for the brightness coming from the tv tube. The eyes totally relax, even in a totally dark room with a bright tv picture, which gives them an opportunity to focus on the the positive elements of the HD image.

Cheers! ;)
post #120 of 146 Old 04-22-2006, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Steve, i may consider that as well and go buy a backlight but the thing is my surround lights are more than enough to do the job.;)

When i get my hands on my brothers digital Camera i will show you what i mean since it's kind of hard to explain on a message board,it's bets understood seen in person you know.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page