Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This was so remarkable and I've had people PMing me, asking me about the ISF job I was going to get done. Well, it happened yesterday, Wednesday June 20 and I'll just let this speak for itself.

I’m truly speechless today after my ISF calibration experience yesterday at the expert hands of one Chad Billheimer.

http://www.hdtvbychadb.com/

That’s Chad’s home web page that details who he is and what kind of services he offers. I can’t implore anyone even remotely in, or near the Midwest, to check this site out AT ONCE!

As best I understand it, Chad will go as far east as Virginia and has been known to go as far as Indiana and Michigan, but I’d certainly let him speak for himself on that matter. Ohio is his home state and his base of operation from which he reaches out.

Let me describe for you all, without getting bogged down in technicalities, what kind of a jaw dropping experience that Chad’s work and dedication were for my ISF calibration.

Chad and I have been exchanging emails occasionally for the last two months, after I had taken delivery of my Sony KD-34XBR960. I was feeling him out, asking him some questions, and laying down the eventual groundwork, as Chad quickly was at the top of my list for ISF calibrators available in my region.

Finally, I went to his website and put it in concrete this past Monday, July 21. Two days later, he’s at my house by 12:30 pm, even though the appointment wasn’t until 1 p.m. ;) The first words out of my mouth after greetings were: “Have you had lunch yet? If not, I’d be more than happy to make you some.†He expressed some interest in lunch but he wanted to see what the job was going to look like. Lunch never happened for Chad, despite my occasional entreaties. He simply refused to be interrupted or de-railed, even though he “allowed†me to provide him with a couple of Mountain Dews. ;)

The first thing Chad did for me is he saw that some adjustment of my TV’s magnets would need to be done to fix some of the geometry and convergences issued that I had. So, off came the back of the set and two hours’ worth of very meticulous adjustments took place. There was a thirty minute interruption when Chad and I had to bomb out to Radio Shack to get us a supply of very strong, double sided, foam adhesive tape for these magnets. To make a long story short on this count, Chad was arguably even pickier than I was about getting all of those lines perfectly fixed. When we were both satisfied and put the TV back together and returned it to its original position, there already was a shocking, night and day difference in terms of improvement with my geometry and convergence. Keep in mind; he hadn’t even begun on the actual ISF work yet!

So, surely after this Chad would want something to eat or possibly a bathroom break, right? WRONG!

He jumped right in to the ISF calibration. For the next three hours, until he “allowed†me to order us some pizzas, which he finally took a break for at 6:30 pm, after NONSTOP work…Chad was at my house until 10 pm.

Let me explain to you the kind of work he did. If you go to the main ISF webpage: http://www.imagingscience.com/

Or even just to Chad’s website: www.hdtvbychad.com , you’ll quickly get a feel of exactly what goes into an ISF calibration and what it is supposed to cost in very specific terms.

Chad took my TV and ISF calibrated BOTH component inputs, the cable input, the OTA antenna input, and the HDMI input. He did ALL scan rates, ALL resolutions, ALL EVERYTHING. Up and down. ALL OF IT! Grayscale, chroma, gamma, colors, overscan, geometry, convergence, EVERYTHING you can possibly imagine, Chad simply refused to leave any stone unturned!

I’ve never seen anything like it. I’ve never seen a person SO dedicated, SO one track minded and dedicated to perfection EVER! I think the man must have some bionic implants or something, because I saw limitless energy and concentration.

You don’t need to be a math expert to figure out that Chad put nearly 9 hours of PAINSTAKING work into my TV, far more than was really the call of duty. I think the man MIGHT have gone to the bathroom ONE TIME during ALL of this! Superman!

Now…here’s the real clincher: When all this was said and done, I was fully prepared to pay a hefty and fair sum, as dictated by ISF SRP’s and so forth. Chad damn near gave me a heart attack when he quoted me a truly absurdly and unfair to him low price. I wouldn’t do it.

I wrote Chad out a check for a bit more than he quoted me for because he was truly being insanely generous with his price quote. He really was unfair to himself.

This man makes a living doing this full time and I couldn’t have slept last night if I had only paid him what he had the nerve to quote me. I can see why and how he can do this full time: He’s that damned good! UN-BELIEVABLE!

Chad! Don’t undersell yourself like that! EVER!!!

I thought my XBR960 was doing pretty good in Pro, and Monitor, and my little tweak job with the regular menus and Avia. I was skeptical. I thought “Meh, I’ll see a nip and tuck and yeah, it’ll be nicer.â€

Folks, I now have a professional monitor in every sense of the word, completely flawless in EVERY possible respect. I wasn’t expecting such a huge difference and yet I sit here today, writing this, in pure jaw dropping SHOCK.

I am now a complete convert and zealous believer in ISF calibrations. It’s a no-brainer for me to say: I will ALWAYS ISF calibrate ANY display I ever buy and own from this day forth, and it will be Chad Billheimer doing my work.

I hope Chad gains the national prominence and business that he truly deserves for the level of dedication, sophistication, and perfectionism that would make most mortal men curl up and weep.

It sounds corny, but I feel moved as I write this. I really am blown away at the level of quality, dedication, selflessness, and pure service to the ends of the Earth that Chad provided for me. “Beyond the call of duty†is an understatement for what Chad Billheimer is all about and the kind of man that he is.

I wouldn’t have believed it had I not sat there the entire time and watched Chad work his magic and talked with him when I saw I might not distract him. ;)

It’s a testament also that, considering how long this was, the time really did fly by because I was so fascinated with what Chad was doing and he was always able to explain everything to me in very easy to understand terms. He also saved on my computer a detailed and easy to follow report on “before/after†calibration with beautiful graphics and charts. That’s a real eye opener! When my grayscale goes from about 10,000 to 6500K, you know something got done! I saw it all with my own eyes!

Chad has made a customer and a friend for life in me. He’s as gracious and humble of a person as you can imagine from reading what I’ve described here. I certainly will be doing everything I possibly can to spread the word high and far about Chad.

Thank you Chad. You’re a gem and truly one in a million and I truly wish you and your wife God’s fullest blessings. Thank you SO much.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow. I'm glad there's someone out there that's as dedicated as Chad. Thanks for the heads up on this guy, Q. I'm planning on getting either the 34XS955 or XBR960 and it sounds like this guy really knows his stuff. I didn't realize ISF calibrators opened up the back of the set to fix convergence! A certified Sony tech will tell you it's "within spec" and not do a damn thing (probably too lazy to fix it). How much better is the convergence on your 960?
post #3 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rain
Wow. I'm glad there's someone out there that's as dedicated as Chad. Thanks for the heads up on this guy, Q. I'm planning on getting either the 34XS955 or XBR960 and it sounds like this guy really knows his stuff. I didn't realize ISF calibrators opened up the back of the set to fix convergence! A certified Sony tech will tell you it's "within spec" and not do a damn thing (probably too lazy to fix it). How much better is the convergence on your 960?
Night and day difference. I trust Chad's expertise on this a lot more than my own, obviously. He said, when all was said and done, that I had about a 90 percent improvement and there just literally is no way to get it any better than what I have now.

There sure as hell is no way any Sony tech would have done the kind of job Chad did. TWO HOURS just on the magnets and what not ALONE!

WOW!

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #4 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

What a great review.

I have yet to read a bad review of a bonafide ISF Calibrator. And Chad seems to fit the bill perfectly.

I am so happy for you. Now you'll have to re-watch all of your favorite DVDs on your "new" tv.

Congrats! :)
post #5 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc
What a great review.

I have yet to read a bad review of a bonafide ISF Calibrator. And Chad seems to fit the bill perfectly.

I am so happy for you. Now you'll have to re-watch all of your favorite DVDs on your "new" tv.

Congrats! :)
You ain't kiddin'! :D

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #6 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
It’s a testament also that, considering how long this was, the time really did fly by because I was so fascinated with what Chad was doing and he was always able to explain everything to me in very easy to understand terms. He also saved on my computer a detailed and easy to follow report on “before/after†calibration with beautiful graphics and charts. That’s a real eye opener! When my grayscale goes from about 10,000 to 6500K, you know something got done! I saw it all with my own eyes!
Glad to hear your calibration went so well. As I said in our off line conversations the improvements are significant. :D

When you have the time PM me so we can talk about the graphs.

JohnG
post #7 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I totally agree.... having your set PROPERLY calibrated really makes a BIG improvement on your television. I first had a set calibrated several years back and am a true believer of ISF calibration. My current 960 looks great and I have no qualms on paying for this service. The way I look at it, I paid a couple of grand for a set and I watch it a few hours every day for the next few years. It is worth the extra money to get the set working at its optimal best.

Unfortunately, there are a large number of people who think that buying Video Essentials or Avia is all you need. Without the proper colorimeter, you cannot truly get accurate colors on your set. All you are really doing is adjusting the color within its limited scope of wrong settings.

Another thing I find shocking is how many people attempt to "calibrate" with their sets using service codes and think they are doing the right thing. Again, without the proper tools, you are probably making matters worse and eventually shortening the life of the set.

Last but not least, it is strongly recommended one question the ISF technician of exactly what he does for the money. I have heard some stories where they adjust the colors and that's it. No convergence work... nada. Chad seems to love his work and passionate with his craft. There are always those who are just in it for the money.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #8 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm on my hands and knees begging people: ISF is worth it. It's SO worth it. It's some of the best money you will spend to put your display over the top. DO IT!

John and whoever else: I have the files of my report with the graphs that I can try and share, but here's a little taster of what changed on my TV. Some of these graphs of the before and after will make your jaw drop and probably make you laugh. It's really unbelievable unless you actually SEE it like I did!

Grayscale went from about 10,000 (?!?) to 6500K, all mods, all scans, all you name it.

Color tracking and accuracy went from abominable and all over the place to staight and dead-on. This graph is a riot!

You don't have to be an expert to see these graphis and my report and conclude very quickly: A DRASTIC overhaul was done on this TV and the factory defaults were nothing short of abominable outright.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #9 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 09:47 AM

I totally agree that an ISF calibration makes all the difference in the world. I had my 34XBR910 calibrated shortly after I purchased it, and its the some of the best money I have ever spent.

An ISF calibrator with the proper equipment, knowledge and dedication is far superior to the DIY Avia or similar adjustments. And, even though some owners are somewhat knowledgeable with the the service menu, it is highly unlikely that they will approach the picture quality of a true ISF calibration.
post #10 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 10:24 AM

Dude, you better hide those remotes and build a sturdy fence around that work of art !!
post #11 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy
I totally agree that an ISF calibration makes all the difference in the world. I had my 34XBR910 calibrated shortly after I purchased it, and its the some of the best money I have ever spent.

An ISF calibrator with the proper equipment, knowledge and dedication is far superior to the DIY Avia or similar adjustments. And, even though some owners are somewhat knowledgeable with the the service menu, it is highly unlikely that they will approach the picture quality of a true ISF calibration.
Can't be done. At least not anywhere NEAR the amount of time it took Chad. You think 9 hours sounds long?

As amazing as that Sony Service Code thread is, you still have people in there doing endless trial and error many weeks and months into it.

Who can be bothered? I'd rather spend a fair and safe amount of money to have a pro come in with about 10-15 grand worth of equipment that I know most people don't have...and get it done right and perfectly the first time with no headaches, no suspense, no fuss, no muss.

I certainly think Ken Tech, Croc Hunter, and some others are studs. More power to 'em for digging in and going for it! I just couldn't do it!

I owe Ken and his thread a lot for me being able to watch this ISF calibration yesterday and only being 80-90 percent clueless instead of 100 percent clueless. ;)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #12 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
Can't be done. At least not anywhere NEAR the amount of time it took Chad. You think 9 hours sounds long?

As amazing as that Sony Service Code thread is, you still have people in there doing endless trial and error many weeks and months into it.

Who can be bothered? I'd rather spend a fair and safe amount of money to have a pro come in with about 10-15 grand worth of equipment that I know most people don't have...and get it done right and perfectly the first time with no headaches, no suspense, no fuss, no muss.

I certainly think Ken Tech, Croc Hunter, and some others are studs. More power to 'em for digging in and going for it! I just couldn't do it!

I owe Ken and his thread a lot for me being able to watch this ISF calibration yesterday and only being 80-90 percent clueless instead of 100 percent clueless. ;)
I hope to be able to get my set ISF calibrated in the near future. In the meantime, I'll enjoy adjusting those SM settings believed to deliver the biggest bang for the buck.

You're 100% correct - KenTech, Croc Hunter and the rest have done us all a real service. I applaud them for their relentless pursuit of PQ nirvana. And, you know, they do seem to "have the time" and seem to get alot of joy out of learning for themselves.

Like you, I would prefer to have a pro work my set. I just don't have the same tenacity of the likes of KenTech. More power to him and to the rest of us who can find the likes of folks like "ISF" Chad.

Cheers! ;)
post #13 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 11:19 AM

Congratulations, my main worry is everybodys eyes are subjective to PQ we all prefur a certain quality, were you really that satisfied at first or did you just get used to the new settings?

I may get mine done myself by Greg Loewn if that's how you spell it right, he lives near the east side so he's very easy to get to.

Also are you sure your set got a perfect D6500k? because i heard people get close to it but no one can get it perfect.

Also when you say flawless i get a bit skeptical, no display is flawless no matter how calibrated it is, every set has it's flaws.CRT direct view sets have problems with convergance and geometry.If you want perfect convergance and geometry then your looking into the wrong displays, look into plasma and LCD in the future or even better SED when it's available.

anywho i'm glad your happy with your set, sounds encouraging since you tell us he calibrated all inputs, scanrates etc. for a low price he quoted you:)
post #14 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocHunter
Congratulations, my main worry is everybodys eyes are subjective to PQ we all prefur a certain quality, were you really that satisfied at first or did you just get used to the new settings?
I was fairly satisfied, but you know that I had the obvious geometry and convergeance issues. I also found that I was often fiddling with the contrast and brightness settings and never being fully satisified.

This is all taken care of now.

Quote:

I may get mine done myself by Greg Loewn if that's how you spell it right, he lives near the east side so he's very easy to get to.
Great! Gregg's among the best there is! :)

Quote:

Also are you sure your set got a perfect D6500k? because i heard people get close to it but no one can get it perfect.
YES! :D

Quote:

Also when you say flawless i get a bit skeptical, no display is flawless no matter how calibrated it is, every set has it's flaws.CRT direct view sets have problems with convergance and geometry.If you want perfect convergance and geometry then your looking into the wrong displays, look into plasma and LCD in the future or even better SED when it's available.
Ok, let me be very specific, just for you ;) :

For a Direct View CRT, my PQ is as close to perfection as you can possibly get. :)

Quote:

anywho i'm glad your happy with your set, sounds encouraging since you tell us he calibrated all inputs, scanrates etc. for a low price he quoted you:)
You're going to get the same kind of thing with Gregg. Prepare to be amazed! :D

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #15 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 11:44 AM

I hope so, also i think i'm going to take a picture of screenshots showing a before and after calibration, that way i can see how much of an improvement was really done.

If you can, can you post some screenshots of some dvd's or HD material, i'd like to see how it looks just curious:)
post #16 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 11:47 AM

Also i got a question, did he take the tv off the shelf to take the cover off, or did he just pull the tv stand back?These things are extremely heavy, and my sets in my bedroom, so i hope it's not too bad for gregg when i call him soon.
post #17 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocHunter
I hope so, also i think i'm going to take a picture of screenshots showing a before and after calibration, that way i can see how much of an improvement was really done.
Do whatever you need to do. I know exactly how you feel, but in this case, I assure you: Seeing is believing.

At the end of it all, this will be you: :D

Quote:

If you can, can you post some screenshots of some dvd's or HD material, i'd like to see how it looks just curious:)
Yikes. My digital camera is 3.2 megapixels. Is that good enough for you to really see something?...

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #18 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Greetings

Problem with digital camera screen shots is that you have to get the white balance just right for the lighting conditions. Guess wrong and you have two images that simply look different, but you would be hard pressed to say one was better than the other.

Add to that equation what we are looking at on our end of the pipeline? How many computer monitors are properly set up to show even "perfectly" shot digital images?

It's just very hard to show people what you see in your living room ...

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #19 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV
Greetings

Problem with digital camera screen shots is that you have to get the white balance just right for the lighting conditions. Guess wrong and you have two images that simply look different, but you would be hard pressed to say one was better than the other.

Add to that equation what we are looking at on our end of the pipeline? How many computer monitors are properly set up to show even "perfectly" shot digital images?

It's just very hard to show people what you see in your living room ...

Regards
Agreed.

Croc, you'll find out soon enough! :D

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #20 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 12:54 PM

But is isf calibration really worth it if you have a cheaper set like a 32hs420? For a 2199 dollar tv (yeah I know its 1899 now), it seems worth it to spend a few hundred bucks getting it calibrated. But how about for a 999 dollar tv (at the time 999, heh). Would you still get it done on a tv that cheap, or just put that money into a new and better tv fund.
post #21 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soncomet
But is isf calibration really worth it if you have a cheaper set like a 32hs420?
Yes. These Sonys REALLY benefit from a calibration! You'd have to decide how close you are to upgrading your TV. If that 32hs420 is something you're planning on keeping for a few more years, you probably should consider getting it calibrated.

Quote:
For a 2199 dollar tv (yeah I know its 1899 now), it seems worth it to spend a few hundred bucks getting it calibrated. But how about for a 999 dollar tv (at the time 999, heh). Would you still get it done on a tv that cheap, or just put that money into a new and better tv fund.
In that case, probably the latter option. Timing is one factor and price and percentage another.

Obviously it doesn't make sense to re-spend a third or more of your TV's overall value for something like this.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #22 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 01:50 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Congratulations on your brand new baby XBR960, Q! :) And thanks for sharing your experience with us, especially re the before and after color temps. Now you know why some of us make such a fuss about gamma, grey scales, 6500K, etc... It really can make a difference. I guess some folks like Sony's cooler default signature look though, and that's why they buy their TVs. To each his own.

Re why we DIY... some of us are just tinkerers and (to quote Captain Kirk) we wanna know what makes that thing tick! :D

ADU

post #23 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU
Congratulations on your brand new baby XBR960, Q! :) And thanks for sharing your experience with us, especially re the before and after color temps. Now you know why some of us make such a fuss about gamma, grey scales, 6500K, etc... It really can make a difference.
I TOTALLY understand now!

Quote:
I guess some folks like Sony's cooler default signature color though, and that's why they buy their TVs. To each his own.

Re why we DIY... some of us are just tinkerers and (to quote Captain Kirk) we wanna know what makes that thing tick! :D
Another Kirk quote: "Risk is our business!"

Hard to believe both McCoy and Scotty are gone now... :(

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #24 of 146 Old 07-21-2005, 02:06 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 114
...to that great starship in the sky. Yes, that was sad news.
Quote:
Another Kirk quote: "Risk is our business!"
Point well-taken. If I'd bought my Sony brand new at full price, then perhaps I would have had a bit more trepidation about making SM adjustments myself.

ADU

post #25 of 146 Old 07-22-2005, 05:52 AM

Liked: 11
soncomet-- I agree that having other sets ISF'd makes a huge difference. UMR did my first generation Sony (KW34HD1) here in Houston and I am rewatching my collection; the difference is HUGE. This is a non-SFP tube, non-HDMI or DVI set and the texture detail let alone detail in dark scenes is not just noticeably different; it leaps out at you.
post #26 of 146 Old 07-22-2005, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn
soncomet-- I agree that having other sets ISF'd makes a huge difference. UMR did my first generation Sony (KW34HD1) here in Houston and I am rewatching my collection; the difference is HUGE. This is a non-SFP tube, non-HDMI or DVI set and the texture detail let alone detail in dark scenes is not just noticeably different; it leaps out at you.
WOW! I'll say!

I had watched Alien 3 from the Quadrilogy set about a month ago. Now, anyone who knows these Alien films at all know that they're amongst some of THE most merciless tests around for your black levels and shadows and grays.

I couldn't BELIEVE how much better this thing looked last night! I figured that was one movie I could use right away to really SEE the differences between going from a 10,000K grayscale down to 6500k where it belongs. I can assure you...night and day differences all the way!

I also spent some time looking at reference caliber DVD's like Fifth Element Superbit and even other family members agreed: It looks like HD outright. Craig took the time to make sure my DVD player, the Onkyo DV-SP1000, was also properly calibrated. I have it set to upscale at 1080i via the HDMI connection.

It's really just unbelievable.

I'm just getting started...;)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #27 of 146 Old 07-22-2005, 07:30 AM

Q- Did you have to block out all the ambiant light before he could start? If so, what did you use to not ruin your walls?
post #28 of 146 Old 07-22-2005, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMDMatt
Q- Did you have to block out all the ambiant light before he could start?

If so, what did you use to not ruin your walls?
I have a blackout shade. Ambient light was a non-issue. My walls are painted in a non reflective paint, almost an off white, very neutral color.

No problems! Perfect calibrating situation!

What do you mean about "ruining my walls?" :confused:

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #29 of 146 Old 07-22-2005, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

My 2 direct-view CRTs have both been ISF calibrated, and my 3 chip LCOS projector was calibrated by the magician William Phelps.

Direct-view CRTs OOTB are usually pretty good. An ISF calibration will make a substantial difference, but not night and day. Calibrating my "old" RPTV made a night and day difference tough. Same thing for my 3chip LCOS projector. The before and after difference was major.

Both my Sony 40XBR800 and Tosh 34HFX82 were greatly improved by the ISF calibration, but not like my RPTV and my projector, where the differences were simply astounishing.

But every set out there, be it direct-view, RPTV or projector, will all benefit from an ISF calibration. If you are serious about PQ, then you have to call an ISF calibrator near you, always.
post #30 of 146 Old 07-22-2005, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE
My 2 direct-view CRTs have both been ISF calibrated, and my 3 chip LCOS projector was calibrated by the magician William Phelps.

Direct-view CRTs OOTB are usually pretty good. An ISF calibration will make a substantial difference, but not night and day. Calibrating my "old" RPTV made a night and day difference tough. Same thing for my 3chip LCOS projector. The before and after difference was major.
It's been night and day for me. ;)

Quote:

Both my Sony 40XBR800 and Tosh 34HFX82 were greatly improved by the ISF calibration, but not like my RPTV and my projector, where the differences were simply astounishing.

But every set out there, be it direct-view, RPTV or projector, will all benefit from an ISF calibration. If you are serious about PQ, then you have to call an ISF calibrator near you, always.
100 percent agreed! Forevermore, any new display I ever buy, once I get it past a 100 hours of shakedown or so...mandatory ISF calibration. ALWAYS!

The next thing I might do is look into one of those Ideal-Lume 6500K lights. Any thoughts on that, folks?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page