Toshiba 54" HD T.V. Problem. Double vision? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-22-2005, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off let me apologize and say I'm sorry because I have no idea what section to put this in. I guess you could say I'm a noob with all the AV lingo.

Secondly, I just registered and I hope someone can help me out with a problem.

On my 54" Toshiba Hi definition tv (I don't have a model number right now, but i can grab it when I wake up in the morning) it looks like it's out of focus. When there are people on the T.V. they sometimes appear blurry. When looking at objects and words I feel like I have double vision. There could be straight lines on the television, and right next to the original straight line, there would be an exact copy right next to it, just not as bright. It is always like this. When there are words displayed they appear mirrored, I guess you could say, with the mirrored letters being more translucent and next to the actual letters. I hope that makes sense. It's also visible when I play videogames.

I have tried to mess with the color and sharpness and all that jazz but had no success. I hope its simply a replaceable part.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-23-2005, 02:50 AM

it sounds like a convergence issue

I would have thought it could have been a source issue until you said video games
post #3 of 6 Old 08-23-2005, 06:16 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz
First off let me apologize and say I'm sorry because I have no idea what section to put this in. I guess you could say I'm a noob with all the AV lingo.

Secondly, I just registered and I hope someone can help me out with a problem.

On my 54" Toshiba Hi definition tv (I don't have a model number right now, but i can grab it when I wake up in the morning) it looks like it's out of focus......
Hello, welcome to AVS Forum :)

Since your Toshiba is 54" i presume it's some sort of Rear Projection TV so you'll need to ask the guys in the Rear Projection Forum linked below for help (this is the tube TV forum).

Make sure you indicate the TV's model number when asking questions about it as this is always important to know, and it will further help to indicate what your video source is (cable, satellite, OTA antenna) etc and also say how it's connected to the TV (RF cable, composite cable, component cable, HDMI, etc) and even what channel you're having a problem with (SD or HD channel).

Click Here for the Rear Projection TV Forum

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 6 Old 08-23-2005, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys for the help so far! I checked the model number and it is 43HX70. The source is digital cable. I'm not too sure on the different types of cables. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to the lingo and terms and such. Anyway, I'll post this in the link you provided me. Thanks!

edit - Wow, I'm a noob. For some reason I always thought the T.V. was 54, but I guess its a 43". I'm very sorry for the mix up. :(
post #5 of 6 Old 08-23-2005, 09:53 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz
Thanks a lot guys for the help so far! I checked the model number and it is 43HX70. The source is digital cable. I'm not too sure on the different types of cables. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to the lingo and terms and such. Anyway, I'll post this in the link you provided me. Thanks!

edit - Wow, I'm a noob. For some reason I always thought the T.V. was 54, but I guess its a 43". I'm very sorry for the mix up. :(
Red and White jacks together are always left and right audio. You should have these on virtually every type of video input.

The single Yellow jack is called Composite Video. This is for 480i signals like all the non-HD cable channels for instance. Most VCRs are connected this way, and most digital cable boxes have this type of output as well.

The red, blue, and green jacks grouped together are Component Video. This is typically used for HD and DVD and can pass true HD signals (720p and 1080i) as well as Progressive Scan 480p (like from a progressive scan DVD player).

S-Video, DVI, and HDMI are usually clearly marked so they're easy to identify.

DVI or HDMI are typically used for HD but some newer DVD players have this type of output. Older sets don't have DVI or HDMI but the newest ones will have HDMI. DVI was around briefly but was replaced by HDMI.

S-Video has been around for a while and is used for 480i. It's typically shared with the yellow Composite Video input but only one can be used at a time.

I think i got all that right :D

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 6 Old 08-23-2005, 10:39 PM

forget the RF inputs

the RF input (coax inputs) can input analogue cable (480i) or analogue video and sound from a cable or satellite box(480i)
it is the worst connection possible for receiving video and audio from a STB

it also can receive compressed digital video and audio (unlike DVI and HDMI which are uncompressed) or (like firewire or usb)
but this would only be the case if your TV had a ATSC/QAM tuner

also HDMI carry both digital video and audio where as DVI carries only digital video

composite is normally considered the worse connection as most do not use the coax input
composite is the worse cause all of the video components are sent down one cable
svideo separates the Luminance and Chrominance (Brightness and Color)
component video separates the video into three cables
luminance, red-luminance, and blue-luminance or Y, Pr, Pb
Y is luminance, C is Chrominance, Pr is Red minus luminance, and Pb is Blue minus Luminance

so composite carries Y/C over one cable
svideo separates Y/C
and component carries Y, Pb, Pr over three cables

the reason the coax input is do bad for cable boxes because it also adds audio going down the same cable as video
most cable and satellite boxes only output mono sound over coax and the blacks are noticably gray
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page