Toshiba HD CRT TV Owners: Problems, Fixes, Solutions, Services....Discuss Them Here!! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1387 Old 12-06-2005, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Maybe Orion outsourced to Daewoo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1387 Old 12-06-2005, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh no.....Walt is back after his self imposed exile! And I see "Orion" has to be mentioned in every post.
post #273 of 1387 Old 12-06-2005, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Beachboy View Post

Oh no.....Walt is back after his self imposed exile! And I see "Orion" has to be mentioned in every post.

It must have been a one week "self temp ban."

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #274 of 1387 Old 12-06-2005, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post

Orion is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) maker. They build and design products or components that are used in products sold under several brand names, including Toshiba.

walt, I thought of you the other day when I was at Walmart purchasing wholesale quantities of triple-ply extra large rolls of toilet paper. I saw all those stacks of Funai and Orion made cheap TVs etc and remembered your Black friday experiences.

I hope my candlelight vigil on your behalf has helped your quest--its good to see you get right back on that horse. Let's talk some TV baby.
post #275 of 1387 Old 12-08-2005, 05:55 PM

So some of the 360 games (component connetion) were being cut off signifigantly on the sides and possibly the top a bit. I adjusted this in the service menu so now there is just about zero overscan. I watch cable TV and everything seemed fine. Then when I was tried my PS2 which runs through a different component input I noticed that there are black vertical bars on either side as well as the top. So my question is whether this underscan/overscan is due to which input I use, the machne or source, ie xbox vs ps2 or dependant on the games. Also what would be some possible solutions. Should I just split the difference between the inputs so that there is a little overscan for the 360 and a bit of black bars (underscan) on each side for the PS2, or can I somehow have individual setting for each input?

Thanks, I hope this was clear.
post #276 of 1387 Old 12-09-2005, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkellogg556 View Post

So some of the 360 games (component connetion) were being cut off signifigantly on the sides and possibly the top a bit. I adjusted this in the service menu so now there is just about zero overscan. I watch cable TV and everything seemed fine. Then when I was tried my PS2 which runs through a different component input I noticed that there are black vertical bars on either side as well as the top. So my question is whether this underscan/overscan is due to which input I use, the machne or source, ie xbox vs ps2 or dependant on the games. Also what would be some possible solutions. Should I just split the difference between the inputs so that there is a little overscan for the 360 and a bit of black bars (underscan) on each side for the PS2, or can I somehow have individual setting for each input?

Thanks, I hope this was clear.

rkwllogg556 - I think you will have to split the difference, as SM adjustments affect all inputs. This is what the calibrator ended up doing on my 34HF85 at any rate.

Frank Burch
post #277 of 1387 Old 12-09-2005, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fburch View Post

... as SM adjustments affect all inputs.

That's what I thought too, but I got a new STB yesterday (Motorola 3412) to replace my 6412 that was rebooting and locking up randomly. The comcast tech just unplugged the DVI -> HDMI cable and hooked the new box up with component cables.

The picture was horrible, it looked just like it did "out of the box". I wasn't home during the install, but the first thing my wife told me was the TV "needed another calibration" (she was unaware how the TV was connected).

I'm not sure if the problem is with the STB component output vs. HDMI, the TV's component vs. HDMI input, or that some of the SM changes were input specific.

Plugging the new 3412 with a straight HDMI cable into 34HF85 restored the PQ, but I'm now seeing some interference-like horizontal lines on all the HD channels randomly. I don't see any pattern to it, and if I pause the picture when the lines are present, they aren't visible. They also aren't visible on the HD DVR playback.

This is frustrating because everything was working perfectly until the 6412 STB started acting up. I haven't changed any of the 3412 settings, but I'm assuming it's something with the box or new HDMI cable.
post #278 of 1387 Old 12-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkreef View Post

This is frustrating because everything was working perfectly until the 6412 STB started acting up. I haven't changed any of the 3412 settings, but I'm assuming it's something with the box or new HDMI cable.

It is very frustrating. You are seeing the same noise that some of us have been experiencing on our 34HF85 sets. On my set, I see this banding noise only through the HDMI input. In an earlier post I stated that I was able to workaround this by switching DVD players from a Oppo (that exhibited the noise) to a Samsung HD931 (that did not). Not sure why one devlce works with the Toshiba and the other does not using the HDMI input, but that is the case. If I recall correctly, you have a Sony DVD player that is also fine through the HDMI input on this set.

My STB is a Samsung T-160. It does fine sending a pure signal to the Toshiba unless I attempt to go into the Samsung's setup screens and recenter the image on the monitor. After shifting the image, the noise you are experiencing through your 6412 STB appears on the screen on HD signals. The only way I could resolve this with my STB was to do a hard reset by depowering the STB and letting this device reboot. So long as I do not attempt to recenter the image on my monitor using the Samsung's monitor setup feature, I am fine.

My worry with these workarounds is that as soon as you change devices, say to upgrade to a new STB, you may find you have no way to cure these problems. I hope we HF85 set owners can resolve this noise issue and the "white glow" issue during the warranty period. I am convinced that both of these issues are problems with the HF85 sets, not the other devices. My basis for saying this is that I can hook up all of these devices to my Toshiba 30HF83 and there are no problems with white glow or banding noise at any resolution through any of the inputs on this other Toshiba set.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this problem now. Best of luck in finding a satisfactory resolution.

Frank Burch
post #279 of 1387 Old 12-09-2005, 03:18 PM

Can someone please explain what exactly this "flickering" problem looks like? I've heard it mentioned several times, but no one really says what it is. Does the picture change contrast from dark to light? Is it a "tearing" of the picture during fast motion, (like improperly flagged fields on some DVDs), or a white flash? I haven't noticed any problems viewing DVDs through my HDMI connection, but I would like to know what to keep an eye out for. Thanks.
post #280 of 1387 Old 12-09-2005, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Hunter View Post

Can someone please explain what exactly this "flickering" problem looks like? I've heard it mentioned several times, but no one really says what it is. Does the picture change contrast from dark to light? Is it a "tearing" of the picture during fast motion, (like improperly flagged fields on some DVDs), or a white flash? I haven't noticed any problems viewing DVDs through my HDMI connection, but I would like to know what to keep an eye out for. Thanks.

These were pictures I tried to take without the use of the flash. They are not the best in the world, but the problem can be seen if you look close enough.

http://members.cox.net/gdille/images/DSC00990.JPG

http://members.cox.net/gdille/images/DSC00991.JPG

http://members.cox.net/gdille/images/DSC00992.JPG

http://members.cox.net/gdille/images/DSC00993.JPG

http://members.cox.net/gdille/images/DSC00994.JPG

http://members.cox.net/gdille/images/DSC00995.JPG

http://members.cox.net/gdille/images/DSC00996.JPG

The pictures do not readily show it, but the problem is actually more pronounced in the dark areas. If you lighten the picture up, you may get more detail.
post #281 of 1387 Old 12-09-2005, 05:40 PM

Quote:

... the noise you are experiencing through your 6412 STB appears on the screen on HD signals.

Just to be clear, I did *not* have this problem with my 6412 STB (not sure if it was a Phase III model. It only had DVI output and I used that with a DVI to HDMI converter into the TV.

I'm only seeing this problem for the first time with the new Motorola 3412 STB with a native HDMI output (so I switched cables).

Does your 6412 have the DVI out or HDMI out? I'm almost wondering if it's worth trying a different 6412 to see if the problem goes away. Nothing changed with the TV or cable feed obviously. Something very minor must have changed with the STB signal that causes this on the HF85s.

Quote:

My worry with these workarounds is that as soon as you change devices, say to upgrade to a new STB, you may find you have no way to cure these problems.

Agreed.

Quote:

I hope we HF85 set owners can resolve this noise issue and the "white glow" issue during the warranty period. I am convinced that both of these issues are problems with the HF85 sets, not the other devices. My basis for saying this is that I can hook up all of these devices to my Toshiba 30HF83 and there are no problems with white glow or banding noise at any resolution through any of the inputs on this other Toshiba set.

Thankfully I've yet to see the "white glow" issue. Another concern is getting it fixed and/or a new HF85 and requiring another ISF calibration!
post #282 of 1387 Old 12-10-2005, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Does your 6412 have the DVI out or HDMI out? I'm almost wondering if it's worth trying a different 6412 to see if the problem goes away. Nothing changed with the TV or cable feed obviously. Something very minor must have changed with the STB signal that causes this on the HF85s.

Thankfully I've yet to see the "white glow" issue. Another concern is getting it fixed and/or a new HF85 and requiring another ISF calibration!

I misunderstood you about the STB change. I do not have a cable STB device, only satellite feeds into the Tosh's here. Apologies if I led you to think I have a 6412. I have only tried DVI to HDMI hookups on the Toshiba 34HF85 through a Gefen DVI swtcher. I have not tried feeding an HDMI signal to the HDMI input on this set. I have one device (a HD Tivo) that outputs an HDMI signal, but it is hooked up to my other set and I have not experimented by using it on the 34HF85.

My own theory on this noise you are seeing is that it has something to do with the way the HF85 sets are decoding the HDCP copy protection through the HDMI input. My basis for this theory is that one of my DVD players is HDCP compliant and it plays fine on the 34HF85. My other DVD player is not HDCP compliant and when I hook it up to the set through the HDMI input I see this same noise you are seeing when outputting at 1080i. Just a theory, though, that and $1.75 will get you a small cup of the brew of the day at Starbucks.

Glad you are not experiencing the white glow. I only see that through the component inputs and only if a 1080i signal is sent to the set. 720p plays just fine on my set.

I think that if these issues are being caused by a bad board or electrical circuit, chances are good that the repair will not affect your calibration. Before sending mine away for servicing, I intend to go into the service menu and write down the post-calibration settings so that I have a reference point should changes be made by the service techs. I recall one forum member did post the default service menu settings on his set on this forum a while back providing the factory defaults.

Again, good luck in getting things squared away on your set.

Frank Burch
post #283 of 1387 Old 12-10-2005, 11:13 PM

Quote:

Glad you are not experiencing the white glow. I only see that through the component inputs and only if a 1080i signal is sent to the set. 720p plays just fine on my set.

I changed my 3412 STB from 1080i and 720p and it eliminated all banding. I've been watching a bunch of HD channels tonight and all traces of banding are gone. (I flipped back to 1080i and verified it was still there on all HD channels).

It's interesting that both the white glow and banding problems occur when the HF85 is fed a 1080i signal through both HDMI and component and forcing the set to convert from 720p to 1080i fixes both problems.
post #284 of 1387 Old 12-11-2005, 12:02 PM

I just noticed that I have the white glow from 720P as well. I can swear that not only has 720P input began to show it a bit, but when I switch back to 1080i it seems to have been worse than it was a week ago. Now the 720P white glow takes up about the same portion of the top of the screen as the 1080i use to and the 1080i white glow appears to now be about the top 20 percent of the screen. Has anyone else noticed if it gets worse over time?
post #285 of 1387 Old 12-11-2005, 01:18 PM

I was wondering how good is the Toshiba TheaterWide 26"? This is about the right size TV I need. It also fall into the right price range for me. I keep hearing that Toshiba's CRT HDTV are poor quality.
post #286 of 1387 Old 12-13-2005, 11:45 AM

I too have a 34HF85 and have the white glow with component @1080i, but also kind of a color shift/surge thing. 720p is fine. With DVi->HDMI I get the flickering but no glow. again 720p is ok. This only seems to happen with my expressvu stb. My Sony DVD player upconverting to 1080i doesnt do it.

I have had the service man in . He changed some vertical sync settings using some directions from Toshiba. It didnt fix the problem. He then swapped out the board that has all the inputs on it. It didnt work either. He said he would have to call Toshiba.

That was about a week ago and I called him today. He said Toshiba is working on a fix, but doesnt have one at the moment. He will keep me informed.

/sigh
post #287 of 1387 Old 12-13-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyRay View Post

I too have a 34HF85 and have the white glow with component @1080i, but also kind of a color shift/surge thing. 720p is fine. With DVi->HDMI I get the flickering but no glow. again 720p is ok. This only seems to happen with my expressvu stb. My Sony DVD player upconverting to 1080i doesnt do it.

I have had the service man in . He changed some vertical sync settings using some directions from Toshiba. It didnt fix the problem. He then swapped out the board that has all the inputs on it. It didnt work either. He said he would have to call Toshiba.

That was about a week ago and I called him today. He said Toshiba is working on a fix, but doesnt have one at the moment. He will keep me informed.

/sigh

Thanks, SmokeyRay. If you don't mind doing so, keep us fellow Tosh owners informed of anything you may learn regarding this fix if you hear that Toshiba finds one.

Frank Burch
post #288 of 1387 Old 12-14-2005, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the advice! Per your recommendation I just changed the setting on my Motorola (Comcast) STB from 1080i to 720p and the horizontal "shadows" that appeared in widescreen during NFL, NBA, programming with a lot of movement, etc. disappeared. I had already exchanged the set once (had to drag the 160 pound behemoth back to Best Buy) and was preparing myself to return the replacement when I read this post and made the suggested adjustments. I will sleep well tonight!

One question - am I giving up anything in terms of PQ by dropping to 720p? I know the 34HF85 is capable of upsignaling to 1080i but am not sure exactly what this means.
post #289 of 1387 Old 12-14-2005, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I thought all of these crt sets upconverted 720p to 1080i anyway. You may loose some PQ if the scaler on your box is worse then the television. I have my Comcast SA box set to 1080i.
post #290 of 1387 Old 12-15-2005, 07:38 AM

Yes, none of these CRT tvs can produce a true 720p image, they all upconvert to 1080i. So for me, I see no drop in PQ when my stb is set on 720p. Others disagree with me on this but I prove to myself that I am right by leaving a 720p station on (like ABC MNFootball) and switching from 720p to 1080i on my stb remote and there is NO SIGNAL CHANGE. AND, when you change to another station that's 1080i again, it doesn't change. So that means it's at 1080i. No matter, again, I see no drop in PQ.
post #291 of 1387 Old 12-15-2005, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennsx View Post

Yes, none of these CRT tvs can produce a true 720p image, they all upconvert to 1080i. So for me, I see no drop in PQ when my stb is set on 720p. Others disagree with me on this but I prove to myself that I am right by leaving a 720p station on (like ABC MNFootball) and switching from 720p to 1080i on my stb remote and there is NO SIGNAL CHANGE. AND, when you change to another station that's 1080i again, it doesn't change. So that means it's at 1080i. No matter, again, I see no drop in PQ.

Interesting. In my experience, switching from 720p to 1080i on my stb box, makes a noticable difference in the level of detail. It seems to be most noticable in 2 situations. One is far away shots during sports and the other is skin detail on close up shots.
post #292 of 1387 Old 12-16-2005, 10:13 AM

I remember reading somewhere that the human eye (s) prefers a brighter image in general. And since i passes its info as odd scan lines first and then VERY quickly the even ones that the overall image appears brighter and less saturated (thick) as opposed to p. (progressive scan; all lines of resolution being sent at the same time. I am no expert, but I do notice that when the TV is on p the image does seem darker; saturated. I simply crank up the brightness & contrast as little bit more and the picture looks as if I have 1080i on. Plus, on sports events, spatial & quick movement is less pixelated and smeary on 720p because of the one whole pass. AND last and certainly not least, on these $^%&*# Toshibas, there is no glow with 1080i turned off. It does piss me off that I spent $1200 on a TV that has a major flaw but I need to simply go Zen and accept it for now. PS - saw Kong last night; amazing.
post #293 of 1387 Old 12-16-2005, 01:23 PM

I have the 34hf85 which I just exchanged for a replacement 34hf85. I was getting discoloration in the left bottom corner of the screen. The new one also gets the discoloration. Prior to the first Toshiba I had a 31inch Mitsubishi that also got the discoloration. Funny thing is that this appeared in the same location on all 3 TV's. I moved the Mitsubishi (6weeks ago) when I got the first Toshiba and have not seen the problem on the Mitsubishi. I read up and learned about magnets and how they can cause this problem. There are no magnets anywhere near the Toshiba. I have been racking my brain to figure out what may cause this problem. Something must be causing an electrical Disturbance. Any suggestions?
post #294 of 1387 Old 12-19-2005, 09:56 AM

The symptoms you are experiencing traditionally have to do with magnetic interference, which I think you might have near your TV. If you've got any speakers or subwoofers near it, move them away, as they might not be shielded and could be causing the problem. If there is a big tangle of power cords behind the TV you should straighten in out and move the power-strip away from the TV. If the TV is against the wall, you should take a look at what is on the other side, or perhaps see if there is any way to know if there is a power line in the wall that could be making a disturbance. If it is magnetic disturbance, the defects might not go away immediately, and you might have to have a technician come and degauss it.

If none of that seems to be the problem, you might want to make sure you have a good surge suppressor, and also make sure the TV isn't sitting right on top of a heating duct or something. Other than that, I would say it's a manufacturing problem. (not written by me)
post #295 of 1387 Old 12-24-2005, 08:59 PM
SDR

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I grabbed one from Amazon since it fits the ent ctr perfectly and was WELL within budget. At this price it was worth the gamble even after reading about the problems some users experience. I figured it was like my Dell 24" LCD - those who were unhappy were the loudest and those who were happy were busy using it rather than posting complaints
So anyway, I added the Comcast HD service the day before it arrived just to be ready. When it arrived (on a pallet no less) the grunts helped de-palletize it and lifted it into my living room for me. A couple cables later I was watching my kids favorite DVD - Nemo - to see how it faired. Perfect with the DVD, so next was broadcast TV. Not bad at all. Next was HD and it's incredible. I only have my mothers Sony LCD with HD as a comparison and it seems much richer to me. I have none of the reported problems and have my fingers crossed that this continues. I've probably just jinxed myself, but such is life
I did go with the HDMI connection. Not sure if this is better than the options, but I think it's the newest type so it seemed to me that it should be better than the older connection types.
Anyway, just wanted people to know that for me the $749 was well spent. If i have any issues later I'll post an update.
Cheers!
post #296 of 1387 Old 12-25-2005, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I changed my 3412 STB from 1080i and 720p and it eliminated all banding. I've been watching a bunch of HD channels tonight and all traces of banding are gone. (I flipped back to 1080i and verified it was still there on all HD channels).

It's interesting that both the white glow and banding problems occur when the HF85 is fed a 1080i signal through both HDMI and component and forcing the set to convert from 720p to 1080i fixes both problems.

Hey guys. I wanted to say that I am experiencing this same issue with the Toshiba upconverting DVD player we just got. I hooked it up with HDMI and sure enough, there is a horrible banding/horizontal shadow issue (I couldnt even think of how to describe it until I saw this thread). When telling the DVD player to output 720p or 480p, the PQ is fine, if not stunning. This is upsetting, but..oh well.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this issue is non-existant when viewing 1080i through component on our digital cable box.
post #297 of 1387 Old 12-26-2005, 12:47 PM

Hi, this is my first post in here, it *might not be in the right thread since it's not a HDTV, it's still a tosh 26AF45C.

So allright, here's my question:

I'm trying to disable the Velocity scan modulation on this set, it seems that unlike the HDTV version, the option is not in the conventional menu. I've accessed the service mode, but unless it's listed as an esoteric combination of letters that have no kind of ressemblancce with VSM or SVM, I just can't find it.

Could it be a hardware trick with this one? googling left and right I've read of sets that have you disconnecting something inside...

?
post #298 of 1387 Old 01-02-2006, 06:24 PM

My parents just got a Toshiba 34HF85, and they are using an antenna, with a cable-type screw on, center pin type connection that inputs the antenna into the TV. They called me to say that their UHF channels are not coming in. Should they keep the setting on antenna, or should they have it on some different setting and run the channel scan again? I seem to remember that when my power went out, sometimes my DVD/VCR reverted to "antenna" setting and it almost seems that when that happened, I couldn't get anything higher than 13? I'm relatively remote/menu savvy, so hopefully it's something I can help them with. If someone could tell me the steps on this menu they should do to get the UHF channels to work, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
post #299 of 1387 Old 01-03-2006, 12:01 PM

Hello, i currently own a 34hf85 and have experienced most of the problems you seem to have. My question is to you guys, what would be better a 34hf85 ISF calibrated or a sony kv-34hs420n calibrated with Avia? My tv has a 90 day return policy and i can get the sony for about 200.00 more.
post #300 of 1387 Old 01-03-2006, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_dog View Post

Hello, i currently own a 34hf85 and have experienced most of the problems you seem to have. My question is to you guys, what would be better a 34hf85 ISF calibrated or a sony kv-34hs420n calibrated with Avia? My tv has a 90 day return policy and i can get the sony for about 200.00 more.

Easily the Sony.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page